Start by marking “Dear Neighbor, Drop Dead” as Want to Read:
Dear Neighbor, Drop Dead

Dear Neighbor, Drop Dead

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  424 ratings  ·  94 reviews
In Mindy's yoga-obsessed, thirty-is-the-new-wife neighborhood, every day is a battle between Dunkin' Donuts, her jaws-of-life jeans, and Beth Diamond, the self-absorbed sancti-mommy next door who looks sixteen from the back. So much for sharing the chores, the stores, and the occasional mischief to rival Wisteria Lane.

It's another day, another dilemma until Beth's marriage
Published July 22nd 2008 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Dear Neighbor, Drop Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dear Neighbor, Drop Dead

Barbara Newman

Ugh. Gorgeous miserable trophy wife, fat dumpy wise woman with heart of gold, spoiled children, crazy in laws....could we find any more cliches? Well, I don't want to spoil the surprises for those who get through this sappy book, but there are lots lots more. Ugh.
Antof9
This book was not at all as it seemed. Sure, it was chick-mom-lit and sure it was pretty funny and sure it went fast. But it also had a more depth than I expected, and actually made me cry a couple of times. I'll admit I was as shocked as you are.

You don't usually see a lot of depth of character in a book like this, nor real personal growth. Usually the main character just loses weight and gets the guy. In this case, you get crazy, hateful neighbor antics. But also some things you'd never expect
Theresa
Oct 11, 2008 Theresa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Theresa by: http://www.book-binge.com/
Shelves: fiction-general, 2008
Michele
L'Chayim
We all have funny friends who tell great stories. Friends to whom we sometimes say things like, "you should write a book." I'm so glad author, Saralee Rosenberg, either heard this enough or believed in herself enough to share her humor with us. There's a laugh on every page of Dear Neighbor Drop Dead. From page one, I felt I had to fasten my seatbelt, as the quick pace and over-the-top characters just cracked me up. It was quite a ride through this Long Island neighborhood full of twists
Mary (BookHounds)
This book is very funny and a little over the top. I thought that it was becoming a repetitive joke in the middle, but then the plot picked up and redeem itself. Good escape for a few hours.
Judi
I may be one of the few people who did NOT pick up DEAR NEIGHBOR, DROP DEAD because of the title! I picked it because of the A+ at the bottom right corner of the book, thinking it was like the Oprah stamp of approval... As I started reading, I felt like a ring-side spectator at a boxing match and couldn’t relate. I get along with my neighbors and it was hard to imagine why Mindy would take so much abuse from Beth. But soon fiction and real life intersected for me in the scene where Mindy is lost ...more
Lindsay
DEAR NEIGHBOR, DROP DEAD is Saralee Rosenberg’s best book yet. The title of this book is what immediately drew me in, and the characters are what kept me reading. Even though I’m not a mother, and I don’t have any insane neighbors, I felt like I could really relate to Mindy, Beth, and their troubled families. The rivalry between the two neighbors is hilarious, and filled with vicious insults that I can’t wait to try out in real life (just kidding!). On a deeper level, a lot of the sentiments exp ...more
Sue Seligman
Aug 14, 2010 Sue Seligman rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jewish women who have been raised in the suburbs
Recommended to Sue by: read about it online
This is a very funny, yet poignant book about family and neighborhood relationships. The setting is Long Island, and the families are suburban Jewish middle class people similar to those with whom I grew up, which is the main reason that I was attracted to this book. The main plot deals with the love/hate relationship between 2 women, Beth Diamond and Mindy Sherman. Mindy always feels that she is struggling to keep up with her seemingly perfect neighbor in terms of household abilities, raising c ...more
Monie
I'm sure there are a few people out there that have had experiences with a neighbor who makes you want to put a note in their mailbox that says, "Dear neighbor, drop dead." This is exactly what Mindy Sherman did to her horribly mean neighbor Beth Diamond.

Mindy is an average overweight wife and mom of three who juggles work, carpooling the kids and the stress of just barely managing not to drown in debt while ducking and dodging mean comments from Beth. Beth and her husband seemingly have it all
Louise
We've all experienced that neighbor that just gets under the skin and annoys the crap out of you. Mindy Sherman has one of those, the seemingly perfect Beth. While Mindy runs around trying desperately to balance home, family, job, etc., Beth glides through life in her perfect world. But when that world begins to collapse, Mindy realizes how much she really does have.
At first, the idea of reading about Long Island housewives seemed like something I would have little interest in. But Mindy was s
Sherryl
After saying " I am taking a break from Chick Lit books", I picked this one up at the library. So it was not the best literature on the market, but it was a very funny book that I could relate to. There were several important lessons in the story including the ways in which we see the people around us. (I will say no more incase somebody else wants to read it!!) It was a very fast read. Overall, I liked the book.
Beth
I found this in the $1 book bin at the library and bought it just to have something to read while waiting at the airport. It was worth what I paid for it. Parts of the book were really funny. But nothing in it really touched me. I think with a little more precision this could have been an amazing story.
Caitlin Spring
I picked up this book in an effort to cure my boredom. While it was a fast, cute read it felt as if there were several books that had been smashed into one. If you're looking for a brainess chit-lit read: go for it. However, if you're looking for something mind-turning: this is not the book for you.
Alissa
This is not typical chick lit, and I enjoyed it. It’s deeper than a fluffy neighbor feud. Mindy was real feisty character, who saw that appearances didn’t matter and are often decieving. Also, there’s a neat family connection between Beth and Mindy. And a few surprises along the way.

A very easy, quick read. At first it seemed to start a bit slow, but then picked up. I enjoyed it, and made me laugh often. A book that many people can relate to because there is always at least one neighbor that you despise.
If you want an easy no-nonsense book....this is a must.
Erin
This was really inspiring chick lit about two families, how their lives intersect, how they learn from each other and become better people in the process. A seriously cute fantasy but well worth reading!
J.
Sep 10, 2010 J. added it
I thought this would be Desperate Housewives in a novel form. I was way off. I couldn't relate or connect to anything, the plot needed much more focus, and there were an astonishing number of typos.
Dawnmcd
My husband saw this book at the library and thought I might like it. Sorry sweetie just was not for me. It is sorta a mix between desperate housewives and an after school special.
Terrie
I need to be more discerning in my mindless chick lit. This book was just all over the place, tried to be deep and meaningful but wasn't, and ultimately wasn't enjoyable.
Jill
Occasionally funny, but mostly overambitious in how many different plots the author tried to weave into one novel.
Marlene501
okay, very fun, very silly at times, but just an enjoyable light read..especially if you live in Merrick
Amber
I tried to read this book twice. The first time I couldn't get past the second chapter. I then read through some reviews saying this book was funny, so I tried to read it again. I still couldn't get past the third chapter. I think it was the author's wording, the quick dialogue that she used. It didn't grab me the way I was hoping. Maybe the book got funnier, but I will never know. Perhaps others will find the humor in what I didn't. I had high hopes for this one too. The cover grabbed my attent ...more
Lucy
A fun, fast-paced read about sparring neighbors and a whole lot more.
Lori
Feb 15, 2009 Lori added it
I love this author!
Sonia
good metro read!
Terri
Within the first few pages (clicks) of this book, my initial impression was that Mindy and Beth were far too mean to each other for this to be realistic fiction. But I have neighbors who have said worse and done worse. In fact, I began to wonder if Rosenberg has somehow been able to observe the decade long feud between two of my neighbors who live next door to each and have daughters the same age.

My neighbors' feud began over an incident on a playset when the girls were two years old and has sl
Barb
A decent nice neighbor Mindy Sherman meets a horrible mean neighbor Beth Diamond.

Mindy has a job, a couple of kids and a husband. Her husband doesn't seem to get it that they need to curb the spending. Beth has it all… nice cars; nice house, trips, or at least it seems like it till her husband ends up leaving her.

Beth is really mean to her neighbor Mindy and I’m not sure how she could put up with the smart remarks she gets from her and still bend over backwards to help her out.

Mindy's stepson
Tonya
This was a quick, nice vacation read. I love the quick wit of the main character - reminds me of one of my own neighbors (that I love) so very funny.

The story is pretty predictable with one twist I did not see coming. If you want a quick, light read, this is for you.
Cindyanne
Despite having a good ending, the trials and tribulations the main character went through in a short length of time was insane; kind of makes me wish for one day living in a neighborhood with great neighbors whose neck you don't want to wring.
Cindy Althouse
Crazy stuff happening to these 2 neighbors, but it does end up getting good.
  • Happy Kid!
  • The Smart One
  • The Sound of No Hands Clapping
  • Spooning
  • I Only Roast the Ones I Love: Busting Balls Without Burning Bridges
Claire Voyant A Little Help From Above Fate and Ms. Fortune One More Page: A Fiction Sampler with Bonus Writing Advice from 17 Successful Novelists