Start by marking “Hello, Day!” as Want to Read:
Hello, Day!

Hello, Day!

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  293 ratings  ·  52 reviews
What will baby's first word be?

Hello?

Sun?

Dog?

Cat?

Cow?

Owl?

Spend a day in the country with Anita Lobel's friendly animals.

Meow. Woof. Moo! Whoo! Baby will be talking in no time!
Published March 25th 2008 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Hello, Day!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hello, Day!

Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pete the Cat by Eric LitwinThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBark, George by Jules FeifferFrom Head to Toe by Eric Carle
How to rock toddler storytime
109th out of 317 books — 166 voters
In a Blue Room by Jim AverbeckWe are the Ship by Kadir NelsonWabi Sabi by Mark ReibsteinOld Bear by Kevin HenkesHow I Learned Geography by Uri Shulevitz
2009 Caldecott Contenders
34th out of 37 books — 92 voters

More lists with this book...

Cara Byrne
This is the perfect picture book for a reader who loves to hear animal noises. A cow, rooster, and pink all greet the day, while an owl ends the book with his version of "good night." I do question how to make the bunny sound ("pr pr pr pr"), but the other noises kept my little one entertained. The illustrations are not memorable, but they compliment the text well. A baby storytime read.
Paul Farbman
Apr 27, 2014 Paul Farbman rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Preschool or younger
The text is very simple, featuring only the animal and an onomatopoeia for its sound. The font is large with "the ________ said" in black and the onomatopoeia a different color against a white background.

The watercolors in the illustrations have very soft hues blended together to create the animals' coats and the sky. This has a very calming effect. The blended colors and lines used in the fur of the sheep, rooster, and cat make their fur look especially real.
Libby
I think we checked this out because my son just pulled it off the shelf and I liked the art work. (I really like the illustrations. There are a couple I would frame and put on my walls) After reading through it once, I thought it would be too boring for my 22-mo-old son, but he LOVES this book. I even hear him playing by himself and saying "hello day!" I think he likes it so much because the words are simple and easy to remember so he can help "read" it. This would be a great book for a very you ...more
Susan
A solid book for teaching child what animals say. The illustrations are warm and bright and suit the theme beautifully.
Cassandra
I use this book to sing "I Went to Visit the Farm One Day" to toddlers, babies, and preschoolers- it goes over well every time.
Bree
Notes:
would be better as a board book for the 2-3yo's
simple animal sound book with lovely art
Jamie
Perfect book for my 2 year old. Helps him to learn animal sounds
Brandi
This picture book follows animals on the farm greeting the sunrise in their own unique voices. A nice variation on "the cow goes moo" animal sounds book.
Karawan
This was a nice simple book for animal sounds, covering a lot of the animals that babies are likely to learn first. I liked that when the animals make those sounds they're trying to say something and not just making noise.

I suspect that the real strength of this book is the illustrations but I didn't get a good enough look because I was chasing Gavin around the room while the librarian was reading. I'll have to keep an eye out for it on the shelves next time we go to the library.
Cheryl
This is a very cute book for young children. The book has very large print and the illustrations are on separate pages from the text. This is a good thing if you are trying to get the child to focus on the words, because in some books, the text gets lost among the pictures. The illustrations are very colorful. My son loves making the animal sounds. I read "The Cow said," and he says "Moo" This makes it fun for him and keeps his attention.
Miss Meg
This is one of my favorite "new baby" gift books. On first glance, it is just another animal sounds book, but the illustrations, reminiscent of VanGogh's Starry Night, are stunning. The arc of the story takes us through the day with the sun rising and setting, and finally the moonrise. My only reservation is the page with the rabbit's sound; I don't think rabbits purr, do they?
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Greet the day with "Hello, Day!" Short and sweet for little ones. Various farm and forest animals greet the day with their animal sound. The text is big and bold, so it can be easily shared with a group and read together. The animals listed in the book include

Jan. 2015 baby storytime
Mar. 2015 baby storytime: sounds

Reviewed from a library copy.
Bridget R. Wilson
How do animals greet a new day? Anita Lobel shows us in this charming book.

What I thought: I love the brevity of the text. Also, the illustrations have a wonderful Impressionistic quality.

Story Time Ideas: Use for Baby Sit & Sign (sings for the animals) or a farm theme for preschoolers.
Vicki
What a wonderful book about the way animals say "Hello"! Great for audience participation making animals noises. I used this for a visit to the local public Preschool and with some other "H" oriented fun - borrowed these fantastic ideas from Storytime Kate's blog for the letter "H".
Lupine
This is a perfect perfect book for the "under two" set. We've read it every night for the past two weeks and the baby loves it. It's simple with gorgeous illustrations and lots of opportunity to learn those animal sounds. A perfect bedtime book, baby storytime book, toddler book.
Dee
This was a simple story about animals greeting the day and night. I almost didn't read it until I flipped through it. I loved the illustrations. The sunrise and sunset are beautiful. It made me want to paint a sunset or full moon. A simple song sung beautifully.
Amy
Because of the bright and bold illustrations and the predictable text, this makes a perfect read-aloud for storytimes. Of all of the animal books I read for storytimes, this is my favorite one to share with the kids because of its simplicity.
Susan
A luscious offering for the toddler set - I just interlibrary-loaned it and am buying it to use during nursery rhyme times. Lush pictures of farm animals (and an owl) and flowers; a lovely book about greeting the day and the night.
The Library Lady
Bold, beautiful illustrations with a simple text--no more than lines such as "The dog said--woof!". It works beautifully and will be perfect for reading with toddlers. This is one I'd like to see in a board book edition.
Alice
Favorite for toddler story times at the library. Simple, bold text, classic Lobel illustrations, and on every page a wonderful animal sound to make!

The best in participatory "reading" for toddlers!
Molly
The simple text and illustrations show how animals greet the new day, and how some of them greet the night. This would make a nice addition to young storytimes where you can't have enough animal sounds books!
Camille
The pictures are bright and colorful, which makes up for them being not too clear. The fun part is making the animals sounds and getting the moms and little ones to make them, too.
Leah
Barnyard animals say hello day in their own way...and an owl says good night in its own way too! Very simple story that invites children to chime in with the animal sound.
Edna
Perfect book for introducing animals and their sounds to babies and young toddlers with large, bold colored single-page illustrations. (Young Toddlers)
Jenny
The sounds of the animals were fun and my 3 year old seemed to like it, but it wasn't one of my favorites. The illustrations aren't really my style either.
Suzanne
Although I do not like the cover, the illustrations inside are stunning. The simple text makes this book appropriate for birth through preschool.
Barbara
Lots of animal sounds from the daytime animals, and one owl for saying goodnight - which makes it work for both toddlers and pj storytime.
Alissa
Another great easy reader. The kids love doing all the animal sounds. We laugh at whatever they say the rabbit says everytime we read it.
Molly
Animals welcoming the days. Wish I really got into these kind of books. Oh well it was pretty enough just did not get me excited. Ages 3+
  • Clip-Clop
  • Peekaboo Morning
  • The Baby Goes Beep
  • Peek-a-Moo!
  • Toot Toot Beep Beep
  • If You're Happy and You Know It!
  • Tuck Me In!
  • Sleepy, Oh So Sleepy
  • Hello Baby!
  • Ten Tiny Babies
  • I Spy on the Farm
  • Say Hello Like This!
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Flip, Flap, Fly!: A Book for Babies Everywhere
Anita Lobel is an illustrator of children's books. Her memoir that depicts her childhood of flight and imprisonment in Nazi-occupied Poland, ''No Pretty Pictures'' was a finalist for the National Book Award.

She has also received the Caldecott Honor Medal.
More about Anita Lobel...
No Pretty Pictures: A Child of War Nini Lost and Found 10 Hungry Rabbits: Counting & Color Concepts Nini Here and There Alison's Zinnia