Start by marking “Facing the Blitz: Three Strategies for Turning Trials Into Triumphs” as Want to Read:
Facing the Blitz: Three Strategies for Turning Trials Into Triumphs

Facing the Blitz: Three Strategies for Turning Trials Into Triumphs

Every Trial Is an Opportunity to Flourish
In football, a blitz is an all-out attack. Defenses use them to force the quarterback into a mistake and create mayhem and destruction. But by its nature the blitz also creates an opportunity for the quarterback and his team, as it leaves holes in the defense. What looks like the worst play can become the best.

During a life "blitz
Published March 17th 2015 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Facing the Blitz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Facing the Blitz

Tim Yearneau
Nov 29, 2016 Tim Yearneau rated it really liked it
While this book carried multiple themes, I found it to be one of the best I've read when it comes to strengthening relationships. He speaks from his own experience, and not on the basis of psychological surveys or the such. He is open and honest about his family life, and that's part of the appeal for this book.

Another theme is to overcome blitzes, and took look for the opportunity blitzes present. I'm a big sports fan and love to watch and play sports. So his metaphor of a blitz appealed to me
Jerry Hillyer
May 04, 2015 Jerry Hillyer rated it it was ok
Title: Facing the Blitz

Author: Jeff Kemp

Publisher: Bethany House Publishers

Date: 2015

Pages: 240

Facing the Blitz

[Disclaimer: I was provided a readers copy of Facing the Blitz via NetGalley in exchange for my fair and unbiased review.]

So, since I'm required to be honest in my review, let me start the honesty in this way: I didn't finish this book. Frankly, the book was boring and it is just not my kind of read. I wanted to like the book and I wanted to enjoy the book, but it just never took off fo
Craig Hurst
Jun 29, 2015 Craig Hurst rated it really liked it
My dad used to tell me to hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and expect the unexpected. While you cannot choose what will happen to you most of the time you can choose how you will respond to what does. Life throws curve balls. You need to learn to catch them and throw them back. Like a blitz in football, surprises, though you know they can happen, can sneak up on you when you least expect it.

Jeff Kemp, former NFL quarterback and now vice president of FamilyLife, is no stranger to the bli
Linda Walters
Apr 10, 2015 Linda Walters rated it really liked it
Football fans know what the term Blitz means. Since I am not one of them I was glad that it was defined.
One definition of Blitz means " a strategy where the defensive team attempts to disrupt their opponent with a quick, devastating and hopefully unexpected attack."
People might wonder, " If you aren't a football fan, why on earth did you get this book?"
My answer to that is, I wanted to see what wisdom's that this Christian man has learned in football that can be used in everyday life. The subt
Cosmé
Apr 07, 2015 Cosmé rated it liked it
Shelves: bethany-house
Emily Barrus
Mar 23, 2015 Emily Barrus rated it it was amazing
The then-Houston Oilers defense stepped up to the line of scrimmage. Jeff Kemp and the Philadelphia Eagles offense were ready to make as much progress as possible down the field. The defense took off to accomplish a full out blitz. The offense immediately made adaptions to the blitz. All-Pro tight end Keith Jackson ran a new route to the uncovered middle. Jeff Kemp saw Keith and threw his best over and around the defense. Keith caught the football and ran for a touchdown. The Eagles had just ...more
Lamonika
Mar 31, 2015 Lamonika rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure of receiving of a copy of "Facing The Blitz: Three Strategies for Turning Trials into Triumphs" by Jeff Kemp from Bethany House. This is by far one of my most favorite books. Jeff Kemp has done an exceptional job creating a book that merges one of America's most favorite past times with a topics that most people find difficult to address - personal trials. Creating a platform discussing the importance of overcoming obstacles then relating it to football, illustrates the ...more
Mel
May 25, 2015 Mel rated it really liked it
eff Kemp, former quarterback of several NFL teams’ writes of the trials we face in life and how to handle them. The first thing I found interesting in the book is that Mr. Kemp likened the trials we face to blitzes that occur on the football field. Mr. Kemp writes of the many lessons he has learned in life and shares the anecdotes others have taught him. There are three lessons he imparts to the reader for turning life’s trials into triumphs: take a long-term view, be willing to change, and ...more
Hallie Szott
Mar 29, 2015 Hallie Szott rated it really liked it
This review is also posted on Book by Book.

Jeff Kemp’s Facing the Blitz: Three Strategies for Turning Trials into Triumphs provides accessible and relevant methods of dealing with the unexpected challenges, problems and difficulties life never fails to provide. This inspirational book is definitely another one that overuses one of its title words (“blitz”), but looking past that, the material it offers is beneficial and useful to readers at any stage of life (even those who do not like football)
Faith
Apr 14, 2015 Faith rated it really liked it
{Thank you to Kirk Farrell for the review.}

In the 60's, 70's, 80's, I was much more of a professional sports aficionado than I am now. It was Bill Russell's Celtics, followed by Bird, Parish and Michale. The Pittsburg Steelers and now to a lesser extent the New England Patriots.

I knew of Jack Kemp, a quarterback, politician, and head of government housing and urban development. The author of Facing the Blitz, Jeff Kemp? Nope, never heard of him.

This book has enough about sports and Jeff's own
Dan
May 12, 2015 Dan rated it really liked it
*I received a complimentary copy of this book from Bethany House in exchange for my honest review.

The Blitz. In football, a blitz occurs when the defense sends as many men as possible to disrupt the offensive play of their opponent. It is designed to confuse, breakdown, and eventually send the opponent into a scramble so that they do not execute their intended goal.

In life, blitzes happen as well. In his book Facing the Blitz, Jeff Kemp give three strategies for turning life "blitzes" into oppor
Joan
Mar 24, 2015 Joan rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. Kemp shares his insights from his football career. He experience the blitz and how to move through it. He shares lots of his own experiences as well as people he knows who have successfully forged a way through. He includes three strategies: having a long-term view, being willing to change, reaching out and inspiring others. He also includes some very practical questions and suggestions for action. This would be a good book for someone considering a career change. It ...more
Rachel B
Sep 14, 2015 Rachel B rated it it was ok
This book is definitely geared toward guys (even though they say it's for everyone on the back cover), and I felt it was also primarily geared toward men in an upper-level management position at work.

It was repetitive, and while some of the message is good (invest in people, particularly your spouse and children), it just dragged on. Yet another book that could have been greatly condensed.
Curt Wickman
Curt Wickman rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2016
Robb Bohannon
Robb Bohannon rated it liked it
May 30, 2016
Denise
Denise rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2015
Alex Daniel
Alex Daniel rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
Erika
Erika rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2016
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2015
Amanda Talbert
Amanda Talbert rated it liked it
May 22, 2015
Dominique Coulter
Dominique Coulter rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2015
Roger Perkins
Roger Perkins rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2016
Roger Bendel
Roger Bendel rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2015
Brandon Wilson
Brandon Wilson rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
Laura Potter
Laura Potter marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Chuck Stecker
Chuck Stecker is currently reading it
Mar 21, 2015
Kristine Hansen
Kristine Hansen marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Brindi
Brindi marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Jeff
Jeff is currently reading it
Sep 20, 2015
Monica Willyard
Monica Willyard marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
Jarmel Lewis
Jarmel Lewis marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Mark Kennicott
Mark Kennicott marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
JWB
JWB is currently reading it
Jan 06, 2016
Sharon Akins
Sharon Akins marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Matt Whosoever
Matt Whosoever marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Shrel McDavitt
Shrel McDavitt marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Derek Newman
Derek Newman is currently reading it
Jun 26, 2016
Victoria
Victoria marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Cristi
Cristi marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Daniel Graham
Daniel Graham is currently reading it
Aug 17, 2016
Michael Eitniear
Michael Eitniear is currently reading it
Aug 22, 2016