Start by marking “The Sign of the Cross: The Gesture, the Mystery, the History” as Want to Read:
The Sign of the Cross: The Gesture, the Mystery, the History

The Sign of the Cross: The Gesture, the Mystery, the History

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  33 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Book by Andreopoulos, Andreas
Published January 1st 2007 by Paraclete Press (first published November 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Sign of the Cross, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sign of the Cross

Nathan Little
Mar 01, 2014 Nathan Little rated it really liked it
A great introduction the the sign of the cross that communicates how a simple symbol and action can provoke great meditation on the mysteries of the faith. In many ways this book was about the significance of the cross in the Christian's life (as it has been through our history) yet it has convincing sections on why one should choose to adopt this sign into their daily life. Its use can range from a simple Christian identification or a small wordless prayer - to a prompt for meditation on the de ...more
Gregory
Feb 13, 2014 Gregory rated it really liked it
Therefore, faith and phronema are the charismatic power of the inner person that steadily and selflessly connect him or her with God, as well as with fellow human beings (as images or icons of God) and the whole creation (as the work of God).- Archbishop Stylianos of Australia

Phronema can be described as "the completely self-sacrificial trust and faith in religious and ethical truths from the voice of God”.... “an unshakeable certainty about the truth of Faith... undiminished and vibrant through
Debbi
It was a mixed experience. There were some very good sections and I learned a lot from them. The problem to me was that, especially in the middle portion, the book seemed to follow many bunny trails. I think if Fr. Andreopoulos had stuck very close to the subject it would have made a more cohesive book. It’s not that this other stuff was a complete waste, I have many underlined pages to prove that. I did learn some things however, it wasn’t why I picked up the book in the first place.

One of my f
Carlos Vallarino
Feb 19, 2014 Carlos Vallarino rated it it was amazing
Didn't know there was so much wisdom in the sign of the cross and the cross. made me want to study more the scriptures.
Meg Photini
Oct 03, 2013 Meg Photini rated it it was amazing
From the heft of the book, I was expecting a somewhat fluffy little devotional with a few good thoughts. What I got was an excellent academic-yet-accessible history of the sign of the cross, an exposition of the nature of religious symbols, a meditation on the sign of the cross as prayer, and an unpacking of the deeper symbolism of the cross shape. This book is one I might recommend to Protestants curious about Eastern Orthodoxy before any of the typical "convert narratives."
Alan
May 06, 2011 Alan rated it really liked it
interesting little book, covering the historical and sociological development of the process of "crossing one's self." Longer review here: http://eyesandearsblog.blogspot.com/2...
Brian
Great little book on the historical and theological import of the sign of the cross. The middle section on signs, symbols, and their function is chock full of good insights.
Mary
Feb 25, 2008 Mary rated it really liked it
If you are interested in the development of the Christian faith, this is a good book to read. It seemed well-researched and the author has a generally effective prose style.
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
grace-before-reading
grace-before-reading marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Bill Calhoun
Bill Calhoun rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2015
Justin Kissel
Justin Kissel rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2015
Lyle
Lyle rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2015
Stephen
Stephen marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2015
Marcas SOG
Marcas SOG marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth is currently reading it
Sep 04, 2015
Corey Elliott
Corey Elliott rated it liked it
May 25, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2015
Juan Huertas
Juan Huertas rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2015
Dan Butcher
Dan Butcher is currently reading it
Apr 05, 2014
Sasha
Sasha marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Nana
Nana added it
Feb 23, 2014
Billy Widener
Billy Widener rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2013
Milos
Milos marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2013
Aaron
Aaron rated it it was ok
Sep 07, 2013
Matthew Jackson
Matthew Jackson rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2013
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2013