Touching Enlightenment: Finding Realization in the Body

Touching Enlightenment: Finding Realization in the Body

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  74 ratings  ·  21 reviews
How is it that a person can meditate for five, ten, twenty years or more - and hardly change? Because they've reduced it to "a mental gymnastic," explains Reggie Ray. In Touching Enlightenment, the esteemed author of five books on Buddhist history and practice guides readers back to the original approach of the Buddha: a systematic process that results in a profound awaren...more
Published January 1st 2008 by Sounds True (first published December 31st 2007)

Vanessa
"People have increasingly succeeded in creating an alternate reality: we spend our time in buildings--homes and workplaces--that shield and separate us from contact with the elements; we reside in cities, often at great remove from the natural world, that embody our collective human ideas and projectsl we often have little direct relation to our food sources; and mesmerized by the prospect of complete control over our lives, we regard even our bodies, as mentioned, as an object to be managed in...more
Sheila Evans
Totally amazing to understand how disembodied we have become in our time. I loved reading the beginning chapters where Reggie outlines how this shift came about and the eventual affect it had on our psyche and emotional ways. Re-reading now and remembering the beauty and vastness of what dwells just below the surface moment by moment in all of us waiting to be acknowledged and joined from an open heart.

Thank you! again...Thank you, thank you Reggie!
Janne Asmala
I was very impressed by this book. The author speaks with a unique voice of body-based meditation using thoroughly modern and vocabulary based on apparent first-hand experience, while still having strong roots in tradition.
Kate
Ray says some really interesting new things in a new way--clearly coming from his insight and practice. Yet I also felt him reinventing the Wheel of Dharma. Many of the same knowledges, understandings, and insights are available in a variety of other contexts. I wish Ray had acknowledged his debt of gratitude or there had been more of a sense of humility somehow. He is tremendously learned and insightful. Yet I've experienced these body practices within the Theravada context, my sister says she'...more
Kathy
Reggie is the spiritual teacher of Dharma Ocean, my sangha. He included body work to expand the practices taught by his teacher, Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche, and it was this somatic approach to Buddhist meditation that attracted me to work with him. This book explores and explains the somatic approach to meditation.
David Guy
I've been looking at this book for years but not buying it because I didn't see how there could be much to say on the subject. In the school of Zen in which I practice, we focus almost solely on the body. I'm really not interested in techniques, for this or any other kind of meditation. But Touching Enlightenment is not really about techniques (except in the last chapter) or about anything narrow at all; it's really vision of Buddhism in general, or spiritual practice in general. He says a numbe...more
Scott Rennie
A masterpiece, with the clearest explanations of Buddhist foundations from an embodied viewpoint that I have seen. A must read for any meditators!
Liisa Priyanka
I loved this book. Sometimes our culture treats meditation as an exercise in transcendence, which is really just a spiritual form of 'ignoring' and leads to further disembodiment and un-groundedness. This attitude gets nipped pretty quickly in this book which teaches us the benefits of deeply re-discovering 'being' our bodies instead of just 'having' them.
J
Thoroughly nice. Scholarly, yet garnered with the writing ease of someone who has genuine practice abilities. Buddhism becomes negligible if it is just another head tool - it's power is only manifest in the eyes and arms of a practitioner. Ray is a Tibetan school teacher so I am more partial. But I would recommend it to any and all meditators.Rate it.
teri Ciacchi
Oct 08, 2008 teri Ciacchi is currently reading it
My favorite new resource by Reginald Ray. I already listen to his CD's to improve my understanding of Tibetan Tantra/Buddhism. I had the chance to see him at East West Books in AUgust. I am going on an embodiment retreat with him in Portland as part of my surgery recovery plan in Nov. I highly recommend him.
Sandra
Fascinating subject, my favourite topic, so I wanted very much to like it but too much theory and not enough practice. It might have been better if the practices chapter had been at the beginning, so you could try it out as you went through the rest.
Lynn
I really enjoyed this book. It is unusual in the sense that it takes the Buddhist mind game straight to the body and changes how we see our ego...a much more realistic view and experience. Enjoy!
Heather
May 07, 2009 Heather marked it as to-read
Shelves: mindfulness
reading this for our newly forming "book club" w/ my husband. hopefully we can connect over some great books while the kids are otherwise occupied.
Mark Gelula
Jul 12, 2011 Mark Gelula is currently reading it
As a Buddhist and a reiki practitioner, I find this book and its focus on Tibetan yoga and somatic issues associated with meditation, fascinating.
Shea
Jan 17, 2009 Shea rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: dharma
Everything going on with me lately seems to pivot around what Reggie Ray is saying in this book.
Boulder Book Store
Tuesday, February 19, 2008, at 7:30pm at the Boulder Book Store.
James
A bit gabby but some interesting nuggets ...
Tattered Cover Book Store
signing at the store 9-4-08
Lindsay Campbell
Mar 20, 2008 Lindsay Campbell is currently reading it
birthday gift from paul.
Ann
Brilliant.
Daniel Dempsey
Daniel Dempsey marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Stephen Lewis
Stephen Lewis is currently reading it
Jul 15, 2014
Bob
Bob added it
Jul 13, 2014
Xnzz
Xnzz marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Indestructible Truth: The Living Spirituality of Tibetan Buddhism Secret of the Vajra World: The Tantric Buddhism of Tibet In the Presence of Masters: Wisdom from 30 Contemporary Tibetan Buddhist Teachers Buddhist Saints in India: A Study in Buddhist Values and Orientations Buddhist Tantra: Teachings and Practices for Touching Enlightenment with the Body