Start by marking “Anything Could Happen” as Want to Read:
Anything Could Happen

Anything Could Happen

3.63  ·  Rating Details ·  2,033 Ratings  ·  402 Reviews
When you’re in love with the wrong person for the right reasons, anything could happen.

Tretch lives in a very small town where everybody's in everybody else's business. Which makes it hard for him to be in love with his straight best friend. For his part, Matt is completely oblivious to the way Tretch feels – and Tretch can’t tell whether that makes it better or worse.

The
Published May 26th 2015 by Push

To ask other readers questions about Anything Could Happen, please sign up.

Gerard Villegas ARCs are difficult to come by. If you have an e-reader, you can go on a site like NetGallery and apply to be a reader and download ARCs for free if…moreARCs are difficult to come by. If you have an e-reader, you can go on a site like NetGallery and apply to be a reader and download ARCs for free if the publisher accepts you. In return, you would provide feedback and reviews usually online for your time. Now that isn't always a guarantee that they'll allow you to download. They usually prefer organizations, booksellers, and reps priority because they're trying to promote the author's work but it couldn't hurt to try.

I'm pretty fortunate that I work as a bookseller at a bookstore so I get a chance to read manuscripts and ARCs ahead of time so we're ready to sell the merchandise to customers when it arrives. Not anyone can get access to advanced work and it's the luck of the draw what they send to us. I just happen to be fortunate to get a copy sent to our company. Hope this helps.(less)
Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky AlbertalliCarry On by Rainbow RowellMore Happy Than Not by Adam SilveraNone of the Above by I.W. GregorioThe Five Stages of Andrew Brawley by Shaun David Hutchinson
2015 YA Books with LGBT Themes
7th out of 201 books — 639 voters
Red Queen by Victoria AveyardAn Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa TahirAll the Bright Places by Jennifer NivenMy Heart and Other Black Holes by Jasmine WargaThe Wrath & the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh
YA Debuts 2015
58th out of 412 books — 3,161 voters

More lists with this book...

Adam Silvera
Feb 18, 2015 Adam Silvera rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2015
Neil (or bleed)
4.5

"There's sickness, and there's sadness. But the thing is, there's love, too. I try never to forget that."

What a shame that I don't have Anything Could Happen anymore in my playlist. This book is somehow inspired by that beautiful song by Ellie Goulding. If I still have that song (I have no idea the song had been vanished in my music library), I'd played it while I'm reading this book.

I felt happiness and the warm in my heart reading Anything Could Happen (like what these kinds of books did
Jeremy West
Jan 02, 2015 Jeremy West rated it it was amazing
I'm in love with Will Walton's writing. This book feels like an ethereal song come to life--thriving with solid beats and strong emotion. I can't wait to share this book with everyone I know.
Samantha
May 08, 2016 Samantha rated it it was ok
Shelves: on-my-shelf
I had high hopes for this Anything Could Happen. I love reading LGBTQ+ fiction, and was immediately drawn in when I saw there was a gay MC. Pair that with his being in love with his straight best friend, and I was hopeful for a lot of the themes that could be explored. I ended up feeling disappointed and found the story a little jumbled.

Firstly, there was a lot going on in this story and I found the plot lacking in focus. There are so many elements thrown into this story that aren't developed en
wesley

What did I think of this one? You mean apart from the feeling that Taylor Swift and Ellie Goulding are prolly going to end up richer because of this book?

Ha ha ha! Kidding aside, I thought the book was simple. Wait! When I say simple, I don't say it in the negative sense. What I mean is that, really the beauty of Anything Could Happen is in its simplicity. How it did not try so hard to add BIG MOMENTS which would have diverted the story out of its main purpose and/or focus. How it did not try to

Jun 02, 2015 Laura rated it really liked it

When did I stop dancing around my room? I mean really dancing. I twirl or sway now and again, but where did my reach for the stars need to dance go?

Memories. The memories a book can spark and pull out of me is just one of the many reasons why I read. Some books make me reminisce about where I’ve been or who I was. Others help me see and dream of where I want to go or who I want to be. Every so often a book comes along that does both though—inspires memories of the past and hopes for the future.
Janet
Once in a blue moon, along will come a book that I wish my younger self could read. Will Walton's ANYTHING COULD HAPPEN perfectly captures the sometimes soaring, sometimes heart-crushing nature of unrequited adolescent love. His prose is sophisticated but accessible, and the relationships in Tretch's life are presented in this nuanced but beautiful way, allowing us to see how this really special protagonist engages with those most important to him. Because of Walton's timeless style and deftly ...more
Vitor Martins
Tudo pode acontecer mas nesse livro não acontece muita coisa RSRSRS

Perdão pelo trocadilho, mas essa foi a minha sensação ao terminar a leitura. O livro tem diversos pontos fortes. O protagonista é divertido e super fácil de gostar. O melhor amigo dele tem dois pais (e eles são um casal MARAVILHOSO). A narrativa é gostosinha, a história é bonitinha, mas faltou alguma coisa pra chegar lá.

Não consegui desgostar da história (inclusive adorei o final que é um soquinho de realidade no nosso estômago).
Kelly
I started off really loving this book!!! BUT unfortunately, somewhere towards the middle Anything Could Happen just dragged itself into yawn territory. It went from being curious and entertaining to a pretty dull shade of gray, with not much excitement or drama or anything interesting happening with the MC.

I think the writing in this novel is pretty solid. I loved the flow of it, which made this an easy quick read for me. I also really liked all of the characters, from the MC Tretch-O, to his fa
Meli
Nov 06, 2015 Meli rated it really liked it
Me gustó, es una historia sencilla y tranquila, con un manojo de positivismo. Me gustaría tener el optimismo de Tretch, un personaje muy querible, ¡y eso que me recordó mucho a alguien que me cae mal!
Lindo libro.
Tikaa
May 27, 2015 Tikaa rated it it was ok
Read The Full Review At fANGIRLconfessions!

I received a review copy courtesy of the author/publisher. This does not affect my opinion or views regarding the book whatsoever.

I'm soooo disappointed in this book.

* Deep Sigh *

I am a HUGE fan of LGBT. I love how the characters and stories are always so lively, creative, over-the-top, diverse, etc. So I truly was excited when I received Anything Could Happen for review. What I thought was going to be an amazing coming of age story about a young guy in
Kaje Harper
Jun 07, 2015 Kaje Harper rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, ya, comfort-reread
This is a gentle, positive story about a gay boy in a small town who has a crush on his straight best friend. Tretch has secretly been in love with Matt for years, and he's stuck in a bit of a limbo. His own family loves him and he's sure they'd be okay with him being gay... or almost sure. Not quite enough to have come out to them yet. His best friend Matt has two dads, so he'd surely be good with someone being gay, and he's protective of Tretch. But no matter how often Tretch pictures coming ...more
Max Baker
May 27, 2015 Max Baker rated it it was ok
I'm just going to take a second to mourn....okay...okay. I think I'm over the disappointment...no...wait...okay...now I'm over it.

Anything Could Happen was one of those books I was really looking forward too. A gay guy in love with his straight best friend? Fuck yeah. Hottie on the cover? Fuck yeah. Cute romance promised? Fuck yeah. But, once I actually dove into the story I found myself struggling to find any meat in the story.

Tretch is in love with his best friend Matt, who is unfortunately st
Tyler Goodson
Apr 27, 2015 Tyler Goodson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: six-stars, ya-mg
This book is perfect. I vibrated, hummed, laughed, cried, danced, forgot to breathe. I felt like Tretch was part of me every minute I was reading, partly because the writing is so good you can't help but feel everything he feels, but also partly because I recognize him--in myself and in my life. This book tells a complex story, different from ones you've read before, and every moment feels true.
Osvaldo
Apr 10, 2016 Osvaldo rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nota emotiva: 3/5
Nota técnica: 1/5

Como parte de mis propósitos de año nuevo me propuse a mí mismo el ser más honesto tanto para conmigo como para con los demás, por lo que de ahora en adelante daré dos calificaciones a la mayoría de mis libros, la nota emotiva que está dada en base a lo que me hizo sentir la historia ya sea que haya sido enojo o alegría y la cual será explicada en mis entradas del Blog, y la nota técnica la cual calificara la prosa, el estilo, el ritmo, los personajes, el mundo
Frankie Brown
Nov 12, 2014 Frankie Brown rated it it was amazing
The best part of Anything Could Happen is the comfort that comes in reading it. A feeling of safety, homey and whole, warm and so sweet it makes me want to cry. Books like this -- and writers like Will Walton -- are rare.

I happen to love gritty novels that don't pull punches. Plotty mysteries with intense action scenes. Ray guns, spaceships, spies, and deep dark secrets. But, after running around in several of those stories, it's nice to sit down, take my shoes off, and rest for a while. Someti
Ricardo
Mar 07, 2016 Ricardo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
3 / 5

Lindo. Eso es todo. Ojalá le hicieran una secuela, quedan muchos cabos sueltos.

Reseña: http://www.eternamenteentiniebla.com/...
juan carlos
Nov 22, 2015 juan carlos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ESTE LIBRO ES UNA BENGALA QUE LANZA CHISPAS A TODAS LAS DIRECCIONES POSIBLES, TOCA TU CORAZÓN, TOCA A TU FAMILIA, TOCA TU FIBRA SENSIBLE DE AMISTAD Y TOCA LO DIFÍCIL DE ACEPTAR TU PERSONALIDAD Y LO QUE REALEMENTE TE GUSTA EN ESTA VIDA. UN LIBRO QUE ME HA DEJADO SIN PALABRAS. SUBLIME.

Para empezar con la opinión de este libro, debo decir que tiene un toque mágico y enternecedor que provoca en tí que no te puedas apartar de él. Esta novela la conseguí el día de hoy en la mañana y la termine este mi
Rainey
Oct 01, 2015 Rainey rated it it was amazing
I read a manuscript copy of Will's novel a few months ago, and I immediately fell in love. Following Tretch through his coming of age adventures had me laughing, crying, and wanting to move to a farm! I can't wait for publication so that others can share the experience.
Thomas Graham Cotten
Lionhearted. It's not just happenstance that it takes place over Christmas: it has all the good news and nick-of-time hope and newness and also the sadness of that season. Who hasn't been in love with their best friend at some point? I was two or three times, and am now. This book captures the tug of war that makes stories about love and growing up worth telling, worth listening to. Really any stories, actually.
Read it. I know you'll love it.
Sara
Jan 07, 2016 Sara rated it it was amazing
This book has everything - joy, heartfelt tears, and the blissful celebration of a dance party. I rooted out loud for Tretch (publicly) and then immediately book talked this smart novel to the three random strangers who wondered what book could bring such responses. (And, we are now friends because they will pass this book's magic along as well.). The best, most authentic, most necessary book I have read in quite awhile.
Lulee | Vitamina Lu
Es un libro qe cuanto termine me sorprendí sonriendo! =) Es una historia qe te deja lleno de alegría, de esperanza y te demuestra qe en verdad todo puede suceder. Es una lectura muy ligera una historia preciosa sobre un chico qe enfrenta sus mayores temores... el más grande: vivir y ser el mismo. Es genial!!
Ale Rivero
Dec 08, 2015 Ale Rivero rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lo que más me ha gustado de esta historia es que es sumamente realista, sus personajes son personas que nos podríamos cruzar tranquilamente por la calle.
Tretch y Matt son nuestros principales, mejores amigos desde hace unos cuantos años, han pasado de todo juntos, y ahora en la adolescencia, con el advenimiento de los primeros amores, Tretch hace un descubrimiento que le hace replantearse muchas cosas, y ya que es él el encargado de contarnos la historia, vemos sus problemas y descubrimientos en
Francisco Acevedo
Jan 24, 2016 Francisco Acevedo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teens, Young Adults
Un libro que sin lugar a dudas lo disfrute mucho, a pesar de que a mitad de la lectura se me hizo algo lento y esto puede resultar hasta un poco tedioso, pero después vuelve a retomar eso interesare y entretenido como había comenzado, y que me enamoro de los personajes que por cierto esto es otra caso que quiero recalcar que la trama tiene aproximadamente 5 o 7 personales a lo mucho y esto hace que les tomes algo de cariño especial a cada uno de ellos. Un libro que no habla de La familia, la ...more
Jenny
Feb 27, 2016 Jenny rated it it was amazing
Lovely. Just lovely! The characters were real and complex, and it's such a sweet look into one young man's coming of age. I cared about the characters so much. They are delightful. I didn't want to part with them!

And another thing - I just zoomed along. I was never bored, and wanted to stay in the little world Walton created.

Re-read in 2016. Still so good. Tretch has such a sweet disposition. We all need characters who represent us, and can show us the good.
manuela
Aug 21, 2015 manuela rated it really liked it
Such a beautiful story about friendship, family, first love and finding yourself. Tretch was such an inspiring character, with an original story. I loved that this book showed how much music, and also books, can mean to teenagers, how they give people hope, inspiration and, somehow, a friend. It's a fast, light read, well written, and at the same time meaningful. Loved it!
Jason
In a young voice, perhaps too young for a high schooler, this book tells the story of Trench. It follows the same old trope of gay boy falls for straight best friend. Unfortunately, anyone well versed in this genre has been there, done that. There is of course a secondary female character, and Trent finds himself in a situation of forced intimacy. This is followed by the usual female love interest of his male crush, a device used to create tension and jealousy. It is all so trite and derivative. ...more
Karla Ruz
Leer reseña en mi blog

Tretch es un chico que le encanta bailar, leer, su único amigo es Matt, y se acaba de dar cuenta que es homosexual; enamorarte de tu mejor amigo es difícil y que seas homosexual mientras que tu mejor amigo es heterosexual no lo hace más fácil. Esto le está pasando a Tretch, se dio cuenta que era homosexual al empezar a tener sentimientos que van más allá de la amistad hacia por Matt.

Es el primer libro de temática gay que leo por lo que empecé el libro sin saber que me podrí
Amber (The Book Bratz)
The full review can be found at The Book Bratz

Anything Can Happen is both warmly written and heart swelling. I found it to be something refreshing in in Young Adult, and will surely be a book I will be pushing at people.

Tretch knew he way gay the moment Matt grabbed his hand at church. But he lives in the south, where being gay isn't something that is easily understood. Ironically Matt has two dads, and constantly reminds other people as well as himself that he isn't gay. During winter break
Bibek Thapa
All I wanted was to read a novel where two guys fall in love but instead I got a typical coming of age narrative of a gay character. It was nice and all but it's just that I've read similar stories soooo many times (Boy Meets Boy, The Vast Fields of Ordinary, David Inside Out, Out of the Pocket and most recently More Happy Than Not) that this one didn't hold much appeal to me. Still a nice read though, just didn't blow me away like More Happy Than Not.
Book Review 1 5 Feb 02, 2016 09:17AM
Crazy for Young A...: Anything Could Happen, by Will Walton → Start Date: May 29, 2015 27 40 Jun 14, 2015 06:14PM
  • The Porcupine of Truth
  • The Five Stages of Andrew Brawley
  • The Rise and Fall of a Theater Geek
  • About a Girl (Metamorphoses, #3)
  • True Letters from a Fictional Life
  • Cut Both Ways
  • Because of Her
  • Honey Girl
  • You and Me and Him
  • Whatever.: or how junior year became totally f$@ked
  • Beauty of the Broken
  • Under the Lights (Daylight Falls, #2)
  • Pukawiss The Outcast (The Two-spirit Chronicles, #1)
  • Collide

“There’s sickness, and there’s sadness. But the thing is, there’s love, too. I try never to forget that.” 15 likes
“Dancing is spiritual. Dancing is personal. Some people look at a dancing person and say, What a total show-off. They only notice the body of the dancing person. They look at the way the elbows jut out, the way the hips shake and the neck bends. They criticize all of these things, saying, This dancing person shouldn't be dancing. This dancing person has no rhythm.
But the dancer is immune to all of this.”
4 likes