Start by marking “The Hour of the Gate (Spellsinger, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Hour of the Gate (Spellsinger, #2)

The Hour of the Gate (Spellsinger #2)

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,123 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Spellsinger Jon-Tom follows bespectacled turtle wizard Clothahump for allies against invading insect Plated Folk with new magic - and way home to our world. Crew is his crush Flor, 5' otter Mudge, red-hair Talea, big bat Pog, gambler Caz, dragon Falameezar. Froggy Bribbens guides them in split river under mountain but no farther to arachnid Weavers or mythical Ironcloud.
Mass Market Paperback, 300 pages
Published February 17th 1984 by New York : Warner Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Hour of the Gate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hour of the Gate

An Odd1
Feb 14, 2015 An Odd1 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Closing in on 1*. I liked better while writing review. Go figure. I thought I was done with series, easier to review book I didn't like. Nope. I found lots to like, criticize and ponder.

Big battle is most exciting. Maybe quest slows down over large cast? Words and action for all? Why dragon Falameezar quits instead of nagging us/them with Marxist politics?

Jon only hero at end, where he does a spell, or two, on lute-like duar required. What if string breaks, wood warps, cracks? He moons after Spa
Thom
Apr 01, 2016 Thom rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction-series
Picks up where the previous book leaves off and finishes the story; it wouldn't stand alone. Good characters grow from caricatures, and the protagonist experiences much growth. I must have read at least one more of these as a kid, because I haven't found the reference to the Sloop John B yet. Same rating as the first book.

This is a good stopping point; will likely reread the third book after I polish off a few of the twenty other series I haven't finished yet.
Peter Coad
Jul 23, 2012 Peter Coad rated it it was amazing
Another great fun fantasy romp writen by a master. Mr Foster has a fantastic imagination and is a wizard with a type writer.
David Sarkies
Jun 22, 2015 David Sarkies rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like light-hearted fantasy
Recommended to David by: A friend from the library
Shelves: fantasy
An invasion of the insects
30 January 2013

This is a continuation, and the conclusion, to the story that began in Spellsinger. The party of adventurers (which is what they are) have reached the main mammal city to warn the council of the invasion of a race of insects called the Plated Folk. Apparently the Plated Folk have access to Earthlike technology (which is why Clothahump wanted an engineer) and if they invade then it is going to be a bloodbath. However the council pretty much behaves like o
Simon Mcleish
Originally published on my blog here in September 2001.

The novels in the original Spellsinger series make up a continuous narrative much more than most fantasy sagas do. This, the second, concerns preparations to resist the plans of the Plated Folk (insects) to overrun the Warmlands, where most of the animals of the alien world on which Johntom found himself stranded in Spellsinger live.

The Hour of the Gate is the least humorous novel in the series, and this exposes some shortcomings despite the
Scott Wozniak
Nov 13, 2014 Scott Wozniak rated it it was ok
This book disappointed me. The same group from the first book, with Jon-Tom as the main hero again, now head into foreign territory to enlist aid from a mythical race.

The book is journey scene after journey scene. There's almost no magic until the very end. And the characters don't learn, change, or do anything but travel until the very end. And it was a mediocre ending.

I'm done with the series.
Patrik Sahlstrøm
Nov 26, 2015 Patrik Sahlstrøm rated it liked it
Very funny and entertaining. The book was about to bring the Spellsinger series into my personal list of favorite series, but Foster blows it towards the end, and the ending is not even remotely close to the standards of the rest of the book. Still highly enjoyable!
Barbi Faye (The Book Fae)
Apr 21, 2016 Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy readers
Recommended to Barbi Faye (The Book Fae) by: me
Shelves: romantical-reads
Spellsinger Jon-Tom & Clothahump look for allies against invading Plated Folk with new magic. Jon hopes to return to the human world. The new friends are: Flor, 5' otter Mudge, Talea, a huge bat Pog, Caz, and a dragon named Falameezar. Many fantastical sights are experienced throughout their adventuring like the spider Weavers. I hate spiders! But I would love to see a talking otter; go for a swim!
Pawel
Feb 21, 2016 Pawel rated it liked it
Straight continuation of Spellsinger basically their just one book cut in half.
Dustin
Sep 23, 2015 Dustin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
For a series called "The Spellsinger" the main character (the aforementioned spellsinger) doesn't do much spellsinging in this one. It's an enjoyable conclusion to the story started in the first book, and it was a bit of a shock to discover the first story was only two books long instead of the almost mandatory three book length most fantasy tales take to be told.

There isn't much character development for anyone other than Jon-Tom, but the author is imaginative in coming up with lands and locati
Stoph Holland
Marvellous end to the first storyline of a great series!
John

日本語版

救世の使者
Ngutierrez31
Apr 04, 2013 Ngutierrez31 rated it it was amazing
Wow! Truly a fantastic story. What a wonderful activity to read and actually go to other worlds of wonder and grandiose. This book actually made me smile and cheer on the inside on more than one occasion. A truly wonderful story. Alan Dean Foster is surely an authentic wizard, for no mundane man could have conjured such delight! Great!
Chris
Feb 24, 2012 Chris rated it liked it
I read this as a teenager.

Back then I read sci-fi and fantasy almost exclusively, and this author (ADF) was one of my favorites; in particular, his Spellsinger series.

Don't know if I would like this book the same if I re-read it as an adult, but in my memory it was an entertaining read.
Serena

Plot: 2 stars
Characters: 2 stars
Style: 3 stars
Pace: 2 stars
This is a book I would have probably loved as a ten year old. As an adult, it's hackneyed and predictable, with fits of deus ex machina and too stupid to live. Ugh.
Candi Olsen
Apr 15, 2010 Candi Olsen rated it it was ok
I was very disappointed. The first book is so intriguing and this one killed the story for me. Not reading the others.
M
Mar 23, 2012 M rated it liked it
The pacing is inconsistent, many of the plot elements are strange, some are even just stupid, but it's fun nonetheless.
Enzo
Oct 21, 2014 Enzo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic, fantasy, adventure
While not an Epic ... these tales are enjoyable with great timing for comedy and action.
Jami
Aug 10, 2009 Jami rated it liked it
read this series in high school. I'm sure I liked it much more then than I would now.
Sirknimrac
Pretty basic fantasy book. Not hard core reading, but a good read none the less.
Ensiform
Jul 31, 2011 Ensiform rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Not the most well-written or consistent series, but great fun. [Read twice]
Iain Watson
The Hour Of The Gate (Spellsinger, Book Two) by Alan Dean Foster (1984)
Jennyusagi
Feb 12, 2013 Jennyusagi rated it liked it
Shelves: own, shelf-2
Not as good as his Commonwealth series, but an enjoyable light read.
Janis
Oct 13, 2010 Janis rated it liked it
Entertaining. Good finish to the events started by the first book.
Velvetink

Blah blah more fantasy.

Peter
May 14, 2012 Peter rated it liked it
Fantasy by Foster - ok to read
  • Myth-ing Persons / Little Myth Marker (Myth Adventures, #5-6)
  • Secret of the Sixth Magic (Magics, #2)
  • The Sword and the Chain (Guardians of the Flame, #2)
  • The Sword of Calandra (Winter King's War, #2)
  • The Troll's Grindstone
  • A Multitude Of Monsters (The Ebenezum Trilogy, #2)
  • The Wizards And The Warriors (Chronicles Of An Age Of Darkness)
  • The Warlock in Spite of Himself (Warlock, #1)
  • Orion Arm (Rampart Worlds, #2)
  • The Second Book of Swords (Books of Swords, #2)
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...

Spellsinger (8 books)
  • Spellsinger (Spellsinger, #1)
  • The Day of the Dissonance (Spellsinger, #3)
  • The Moment of the Magician (Spellsinger, #4)
  • The Paths of the Perambulator (Spellsinger, #5)
  • The Time of the Transference (Spellsinger, #6)
  • Son of Spellsinger (Spellsinger, #7)
  • Chorus Skating (Spellsinger, #8)