Start by marking “یک گل سرخ برای امیلی” as Want to Read:
یک گل سرخ برای امیلی

یک گل سرخ برای امیلی

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  19,904 ratings  ·  381 reviews
Faulkner’s most famous, most popular, and most anthologized short story, “A Rose for Emily” evokes the terms Southern gothic and grotesque, two types of literature in which the general tone is one of gloom, terror, and understated violence. The story is Faulkner’s best example of these forms because it contains unimaginably dark images: a decaying mansion, a corpse, a murd ...more
Paperback
Published October 2001 by انتشارات نیلوفر (first published 1930)

Mike
William Faulkner's A Rose for Emily: The Town as Narrator and Accomplice

This classic Southern gothic story was chosen as a Moderators' Choice for members of On the Southern Literary Trail for October, 2014.

WHEN Miss Emily Grierson died, our whole town went to her funeral: the men through a sort of respectful affection for a fallen monument, the women mostly out of curiosity to see the inside of her house, which no one save an old man-servant--a combined gardener and cook--had seen in at leas
Tadiana ♕Part-Time Dictator♕
description

The other day, something reminded me of Faulkner's classic short story, "A Rose for Emily," which I first read in college years ago. I dropped a 4 star rating on it and prepared to forget it. But then something happened. A few friends liked my rating, and the story kept stealing back into my mind like Homer Barron sneaking in through Emily's back door, and making itself at home in my head.

So I starting doing a little research on the background of this 1930 story, and then I found it available to
Karen
A big reason why I read writers like Faulkner is because of beautiful metaphors like this;

"and the very old men--some in their brushed Confederate uniforms--on the porch and the lawn, talking of Miss Emily as if she had been a contemporary of theirs, believing that they had danced with her and courted her perhaps, confusing time with its mathematical progression, as the old do, to whom all the past is not a diminishing road but, instead, a huge meadow which no winter ever quite touches, divided
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈
Thank you Tadiana for providing this link to this little shorty that I haven't read in 14 years.

I first read this in high school, and it is the first, and still only, Faulkner I have ever read. Faulkner has always been this kind of presence in my life. Like a long-lost uncle who is always kind of looking out for me, and remains a lingering presence, but who is intimidating, and just a little bit scary. And for those reasons, I've just never been able to warm up to Faulkner, but appreciate his
Connie
"A Rose for Emily" was an enjoyable Southern Gothic short story. In a series of flashbacks, the narrator tells the reader about Emily's life. Emily was alone in the world because her father had driven away all her suitors. There were few roles open to women other than being a wife and mother in the early 20th Century. She later meets a Northerner, but "he was not a marrying man," and disappeared. We see the world move on as the reclusive Emily remains stuck in traditional times in a changing Sou ...more
Linda
The story, published in 1930, takes place in Faulkner's fictional town Jefferson, Mississippi, and begins with the main character Emily Grierson's funeral, and flashbacks of her life, narrated by neighbors that never got to know her.

Emily is a member of the Southern aristocracy. After the Civil War, the family continues to live as before, ignoring the hardship and that the house is falling apart. They deny that they are anything else than aristocracy, and Emily turns down proposals because of t
Megan
I came to know about this book through the song 'In The End' by My Chemical Romance, which is inspired on this book. And I must say, this is the greatest story ever written. While the story is most macabre, for me it also shows the ultimate end of Romance and Love.

I don't want to spoil the story or the amazing plot, so please just read it!
Carol
"A ROSE FOR EMILY" is my first experience with Faulkner, and it was quite a beginning! This short story is darkly atmospheric in its descriptive prose of the dusty, smelly and decaying old mansion in which Emily lives in seclusion, and high on the "ICK" factor by the shocking conclusion.

Poor lonely Emily though.....I felt so sorry for her having a mean old father who turns away all her suitors.....but eventually.....Emily does find.....(view spoiler)

Shayantani Das
Who said graphic imagery is required to make a person shudder? William Faulkner, with this subtle southern gothic story will make your jaw drop in horror at the climax. This excellent short story will leave a long lasting impression on your mind, and so will the enigmatic Emily. Recommended!
Davonna Juroe
Move over Glenn Close, Miss Emily Grierson just showed you up!

This is disturbing gothic necrophilia of the first order, and I did NOT see the last line of this story coming. How unsettling.

Faulkner really delves into the more murky, psychological side of the gothic here instead of relying on its traditional set pieces (endangered young heroine, decaying castles, etc.).

Emily really channels a darker Miss Havisham from GREAT EXPECTATIONS. And like Miss Havisham, Emily is obsessed with holding onto
Tom Mathews
This is an extremely atmospheric and downright creepy short story. It makes me believe that I can learn to love Faulkner.

A Rose for Emily
Fiona
A Rose for Emily is about a lady named Emily who has lived in a building for many years now without having to pay for rent or anything. That's because she had a deal with the old town mayor to not pay rent since she couldn't afford it. When new people took over they started asking her for rent. This really upset her, and she went into a fit. She started hiding from society and didn't do anything. She then met a man that she really loved. She kept him to herself all the time. When her father die ...more
Ebtihal Abuali
مجموعة قصصية رائعة لوليام فوكنر. تراوح تقييمي للقصص بين نجمتين الى خمس نجوم، وفي الاغلبية هي قصص مدهشة من ناحية الافكار و الشخصيات والاسلوب. في ثلاث قصص على الأقل كان الراوي عبارة عن طفل وكنا نسمع ونشاهد الاحداث بعيني الطفل ورغم ان هذا الطفل قد يتحدث عن الجانب الذي فهمه من الحدث لكن له جانبا آخر يتطلب شخصا بالغاً كالقاريء الذكي ليستوعبه.
المجموعة مقسمة الى قسمين، قصص تدور في الارياف وتحكي عن علاقة الاقطاعيين بمستأجري الأراضي، عن ذهاب الشباب الى الحرب واستدعاءهم للتجنيد، وقصص تدور في القرية، عن عل
Nicole
I completely forgot that I had read this short story a very long time ago, probably back in high school as an English assignment. I also forgot how much I really liked this short story.

A Rose for Emily is probably one of the most macabre stories I have read from William Faulkner. It is really short and from the beginning lines it really is not clear what direction the story is going to go in, but the more you read the more apparent it is where Faulkner decided to go with it. I can honestly say t
علی
Though Faulkner writes about Mississipi and Yoknapatawpha, his own imaginary territory of 2400 Miles sq. with 15611 inhabitants, centered by Jefferson city, but I always see every single part of the world in his novels, where the characters are suffering of the situation which is imposed by visible and invisible powers, but they keep going on with life as they have no other possibilities ...
به گمان من "یک گل سرخ برای امیلی" باید اولین اثری از فالکنر باشد که به فارسی ترجمه شده، سال ها پیش توسط نج
Doug H
The perfect short story. So good that it gave me goosebumps! Masterfully controlled. Not a word wasted or ill-chosen. Subtlle humor builds quietly into abject horror. I'll be rereading this immediately.

Poor Emily!

*shivers*
Sepideh Nakisafar
تقابل سنت و مدرنیته...
امیلی،از خانواده ای اصیل زاده،سنتی و مغرور است.اگر هومر را نماد مدرنیته بدانیم؛ آنچه رخ میدهد کشته شدن مدرنیسم توسط سنتگرایان ست.جایی که امیلی توان تغییر و تطبیق خود با معیارهای امروزی هومررا نداشت، با کشتنش او را تبدیل به جسدی سرد چون نیاکانش کرده و در کنار جسد وی زندگی را میگذراند.. در حقیقت میتوان گفت هومر را با معیارهای خود تطبیق میدهد..
در این داستان هم امیلی و هم هومر دارای نقاط ضعفی بوده و هیج یک کامل نیستند و در نهایت هردو میمیرند،هم سنت و هم تجدد
Ahmad Sharabiani
A Rose for Emily, William Faulkner
عنوان: یک گل سرخ برای امیلی؛ نویسنده: ویلیام فاکنر (فالکنر)؛ مترجم: نجف دریابندری؛ مشخصات نشر: تهران، پیام، 1350، در 119 ص؛ موضوع: داستانهای کوتاه از نویسندگان امریکایی قرن 20 م
این نسخه تنها سه داستان دارد، داستانها: یک گل سرخ برای امیلی از ص 7 تا 31؛ انبار سوزی از ص 35 تا 81؛ دو سرباز از ص 85 تا 119
عنوانهای دیگر همین کتاب: «انبار سوزی» و «دو سرباز»ا
Sookie
Faulkner's writing is flawless. His prose is rich, deep and makes the reader works for it. The mood is set to sombre with the very first line of the story and the narration takes a deep dive into the life of Emily.

This short story is a great example for writing horror and macabre. Faulkner's writing shows that graphic depiction of horror and violence isn't necessary to creep the reader or feel the chills. Faulkner does it pretty neatly in this story with his prose.

Don't miss this if you are a f
Victoria Evangelina Belyavskaya

~SKELETON IN CLOSET, YOU SAY?

Doubtless we all have our own "dark spots" in history, but Miss Emily was 'da gal. I shuddered with horror at the end of this necrophilia story and the way old view reversed itself in the new view: all the respect and tolerance the city people showed to Miss Emily... in comparison with what they discovered about her in the end.

Just as Faulkner himself, I pity her greatly. Mentally unstable, unloved, with lost hope for a better life.

Ouch.

I read this short story onli
Emily Logue
“A Rose for Emily” is possibly my favorite short story of all time. It is chilling and intriguing seeing Emily go from sympathetic young woman to a reclusive burden. Faulkner leaves just enough hints to make the reader question Emily, making the story a fun guessing game until the final passage, when her actions become clear. I really love the narration of this story, told by someone unknown, but representing the whole town of Jefferson as they watch Emily, one of the last reminders the town has ...more
matt

Taught it twice to different classes, worried each time that the kids wouldn't dig on it.

Happy to report that I was wrong both times, I was pleased and gladdened that it really seemed to go over well and I enjoyed reading the papers (more than expected) that came back.

Also, I thought I was a sharp cookie when the comparison between Emily and Lady Haversham...

Uhhh, actually, not so much. A couple freshmen made the connection without me even bringing it up.

Good on them, though. Very happy to
Michele
Faulkner saves the real kicker for the last clause of the last sentence. Brrrrrr.
Roberta Pearce
I’m embarrassed to say that I’ve never been able to “get” Mr. Faulkner. I’ve tried reading Absalom, Absalom and As I Lay Dying, and just couldn’t get the swing of them. Maybe I tried reading them while too young. And maybe my cultural background was too far removed from the American South for me to grasp the subtleties and allusions that were necessary to the comprehension and enjoyment of these works.

But being a grownup [mostly, at last], I decided that my intellectual life couldn’t develop fur
sahar salman
The story begins at the most interesting funeral at Jefferson town. The funeral of Miss Emily Grierson, no one saw her from a long time, and nobody had been in her house in ten years, except her servant, Tobe. Although, she had a distinctive relationship between her, and the people in her town, they were always interesting about her life, and always pity her, or dislike her!

Miss Emily had a difficult life after her father’s death, she is a motherless child.
So, when her father died she refused t
Lnaz Izd
Homer Barren another character of the story whom if we consider as a symbol of modernism , we can say that modernism is killed by Emily, a symbol of traditionalism. The death of Emily and Homer both is shown in the story which to me means the ever-lasting fight between traditions and modernity leading nowhere but destruction of the society. We should try to have them both in hand and mix them up to a comprehensible and advantageous new way and use that as a method of our everyday life.
Mia
It was creepy. I liked it.

I'm not one for Faulkner's works, but this one in particular struck me as very strange and creepy. It really changed the way I thought about human nature, and how it's often driven by emotions.
Bruno
"Il mondo era questo, sotto di lei e sopra la sua testa, eterno e vuoto e sconfinato."
John Yelverton
A collection of wonderful stories from the Nobel Prize winning author.
Kedar
You seem to have some free time at hand. You log on GR and see that someone has posted this short story by an author you have heard a lot about, but haven't read. You read the review and like the premise. You find an online copy. Time freezes for a while. Best thing about GR.

As for Mr. Faulkner, I am going to visit you very soon. I don't know if you will see me at the door, or like the acrid smell that pervades Emily's house, you will grab hold of my senses. But, I will visit you soon. For readi
What's The Name o...: SOLVED! [s] 7 163 Jan 03, 2013 11:20PM
  • The Story of an Hour and Other Stories
  • Hills like White Elephants
  • Everyday Use
  • The Minister's Black Veil
  • A Jury of Her Peers
  • The Rocking Horse Winner (Travelman Classics)
  • The Lottery
  • The Scarlet Ibis: The Collection of Wonder
  • Sonny's Blues
  • Miss Brill
  • The Lady or the Tiger?: And, the Discourager of Hesitancy
William Cuthbert Faulkner was a Nobel Prize-winning American novelist and short story writer. One of the most influential writers of the twentieth century, his reputation is based mostly on his novels, novellas, and short stories. He was also a published poet and an occasional screenwriter.
The majority of his works are based in his native state of Mississippi. Though his work was published as earl
More about William Faulkner...
The Sound and the Fury As I Lay Dying Light in August Absalom, Absalom! Go Down, Moses

“For a long while we just stood there, looking down at the profound and fleshless grin. The body had apparently once lain in the attitude of an embrace, but now the long sleep that outlasts love, that conquers even the
grimace of love, had cuckolded him. What was left of him, rotted beneath what was left of the nightshirt, had become inextricable from the bed in which he lay; and upon him and upon the pillow beside him lay that even coating of the patient and biding dust.
Then we noticed that in the second pillow was the indentation of a head. One of us lifted something from it, and leaning forward, that faint and invisible dust dry and acrid in the nostrils, we saw a long strand of iron-grey hair.”
17 likes
“They held the funeral on the second day, with the town coming to look at Miss Emily beneath a mass of bought flowers with the crayon face of her father musing profoundly above the bier and the ladies sibilant and macabre; and the very old men - some in their brushed Confederate uniforms - on the porch and the lawn, talking of Miss Emily as if she had been a contemporary of theirs, believing that they had danced with her and courted her perhaps, confusing time with its mathematical progression, as the old do, to whom all the past is not a diminishing road but, instead, a huge meadow which no winter ever quite touches, divided from them now by the narrow bottle-neck of the most recent decade of years.” 9 likes