Start by marking “The Skin of the River” as Want to Read:
The Skin of the River

The Skin of the River

“You have to love a poet who pens lines like ‘Andy smuggles spank mags / … I hold the wine I swiped / off Harmon’s stoop,’ and ‘frogs … / clopped down the turnpike,’ vividly capturing the sounds and pulsing rhythms of his rural Missouri boyhood. The transporting poems in The Skin of the River contain a world, and whisk us into its midst: alfalfa and peanut fields, ...more
Published July 24th 2014 by Aldrich Press

To ask other readers questions about The Skin of the River, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Skin of the River

Gavin
Feb 26, 2016 Gavin rated it it was amazing
It's an impressive first collection and one can see why the likes of Maurice Manning were so supportive in their praise on the back cover: these authors are interestingly similar. Both enjoy swirling facts with freshly created fictions into compelling local narratives which produce not only fine contemporary renderings of place, but also add something new to the dialogue (even when it seems some element or another of their chosen geographies is disappearing or changing drastically).

Indeed, thoug
Heather
Feb 22, 2015 Heather rated it it was amazing
I truly love this collection! This collection is startling and so deeply affecting. Every poem I read leaves my chest with that deep thump, hollowed out feeling. Anyone who has been hit hard by a poem knows what I'm talking about... And for my friends who love a good "country noir" piece, the poem "Caught and Released" will blow you away.
Denton
Denton rated it it was amazing
Mar 03, 2016
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2015
Cory
Cory rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2014
Jamie Hughes
Jamie Hughes marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2015