All We Are Saying: The Last Major Interview with John Lennon and Yoko Ono

All We Are Saying: The Last Major Interview with John Lennon and Yoko Ono

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  216 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Twenty years ago David Sheff climbed the back steps of the Dakota into the personal thoughts and dreams of John Lennon and Yoko Ono. From the kitchen to the studio and up those fateful Dakota steps, Sheff recorded 20 hours of tape, discussing everything from childhood to the Beatles.

Sheff gives a rare and last glimpse of John and Yoko, one that seemed to look beyond the ki...more
Published December 8th 2000 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published December 1st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about All We Are Saying, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All We Are Saying

Todd Nemet
It's still weird to me that there are normal people who don't like The Beatles. I mean there are always boring as dirt anti-conformists who are unable to enjoy anything adopted by the masses and/or life-affirming. I wonder if I would have even liked The Beatles if I grew up in the early sixties. (I flatter myself that I would have liked The Kinks much more.)

But when normal people who don't have a cultural axe to grind simply don't care for The Beatles I am shaken to my core. I fear that my child...more
Peacegal
John's other major interview as a solo artist, published in book form as Lennon Remembers, occurred at the outset of the 70s. He was sarcastic, angry, bitingly funny, and radical. His second interview, All We Are Saying, took place at the end of the decade and sadly, the end of his life. In this book, though, we see a far different Lennon.

As the former Beatle reaches midlife, he comments on the apparent disparity between the lyrics of one of his early solo hits and his quite comfortable existenc...more
Dr. Tim
As an admirer of Lennon, I must confess that I am unlikely to give a bad review of such a book. This book, as with others I have read about John Winston Lennon, is a juxtapositioning of optimism and sadness, ex post facto his death shortly after the interview on which this book is based. From thoughtful reflections regarding his colourful and sometime troubled past and his strangely prescient notions of his future, each part of this interview has an almost unspeakable poignancy.

It is hard to ce...more
A stirring conversation between two forces of nature and an adept journalist who knows when to probe deeper and when to let his subjects talk. This is wise, poetic, funny, shocking at points (particularly the parts about parenting) endlessly honest, and inspiring. The rapport between these three is dazzling. John and Yoko are at their clearest and fantastically unafraid, no defenses. Sheff incorporates detailed visuals as well as dialogue to bring the reader right into their rooms. It's haunting...more
Ahmed Khalid أحمد خالد
Some interesting one-liners from the sharp-tongued wit; also Yoko is surprisingly eloquent and much more digestible here. But in the end, this is just an interview with a rock musician, whose true greatness is best experienced via their music best. The song-by-song tidbits are interesting, but out of order and the info can be found pretty much everywhere on the internet by now.

jeremy
"so possessions are not just physical possessions. possessions are ideas. most people are choked to death by concepts and ideas that they carry around with them, usually not their own but their parents' and society's. those are the possessions you've got to get rid of to get through the eye of the needle. it has absolutely nothing to do with physical possessions."
Susan
This was a good, quick, nostalgic read. Although he was always a little quirky, I found that I really liked the John Lennon speaking in these interviews. He was honest, funny, and very human. The interviews do give the impression that all we supposed to be true about Yoko Ono probably was. These interviews are a sentimental choice. I liked them.
Susan
Reminded me of late-night, forever-long, deep conversations from my twenties. Gave me a much clearer picture, and more respect, for Yoko as a feminist.
Danielle
May 06, 2008 Danielle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everybody
i thought this was an amazing read. i took my time and really took it all in and fell absolutely in love with john and yoko. gave me a great insight into john's life and felt like i really knew him. great, great book.
Taylor
This interview gave great insight into John & Yoko in their own space. I remember I absorbed this book quickly.
Rhea
I read this after Peter read it after getting a copy from Bill & Jessica.
Aj
Excellent insight without the pontification of a biographer.
Rose Stevens
I just can't enough of John Lennon!
Liz
Liz added it
Sep 01, 2014
Lena
Lena marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Shelby Boone
Shelby Boone marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Suzy Boyer douglas
Suzy Boyer douglas marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Kyle Fletcher
Kyle Fletcher marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Pollopicu
Pollopicu marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Sydney Meredith
Sydney Meredith marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Ashes
Ashes added it
Mar 19, 2014
DAVID SHEFF is the author of the #1 New York Times-bestselling memoir Beautiful Boy. Sheff's other books include Game Over, China Dawn, and All We Are Saying. His many articles and interviews have appeared in the New York Times, Rolling Stone, Playboy, Wired, Fortune, and elsewhere. His ongoing research and reporting on the science of addiction earned him a place on Time Magazine's list of the Wor...more
More about David Sheff...
Beautiful Boy: A Father's Journey Through His Son's Addiction Game Over, Press Start to Continue: How Nintendo Conquered the World Clean: Overcoming Addiction and Ending America's Greatest Tragedy Playboy Interview with John Lennon and Yoko Ono China Dawn: Culture and Conflict in China's Business Revolution