Start by marking “All We Are Saying: The Last Major Interview with John Lennon and Yoko Ono” as Want to Read:
All We Are Saying: The Last Major Interview with John Lennon and Yoko Ono

All We Are Saying: The Last Major Interview with John Lennon and Yoko Ono

Twenty years ago David Sheff climbed the back steps of the Dakota into the personal thoughts and dreams of John Lennon and Yoko Ono. From the kitchen to the studio and up those fateful Dakota steps, Sheff recorded 20 hours of tape, discussing everything from childhood to the Beatles.

Sheff gives a rare and last glimpse of John and Yoko, one that seemed to look beyond the ki
Published December 8th 2000 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published August 13th 1957)

To ask other readers questions about All We Are Saying, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All We Are Saying

Makis Dionis
Feb 10, 2017 Makis Dionis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Μία απόχρωση των 60ς, και των απόνερων αυτών, με επίκεντρο την ατομική βόμβα των Beetles μέσα από τα μάτια του ιδιοφυούς Lennon και της δυσκοίλιας Ono.

Αν οι Beetles ή τα 60ς είχαν κάποιο μήνυμα, αυτό ήταν: Μάθετε κολύμπι. Τελεία. Και μόλις μάθετε κολύμπι, κολυμπιστε.
Todd N
Oct 14, 2010 Todd N rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
It's still weird to me that there are normal people who don't like The Beatles. I mean there are always boring as dirt anti-conformists who are unable to enjoy anything adopted by the masses and/or life-affirming. I wonder if I would have even liked The Beatles if I grew up in the early sixties. (I flatter myself that I would have liked The Kinks much more.)

But when normal people who don't have a cultural axe to grind simply don't care for The Beatles I am shaken to my core. I fear that my child
Brianna
Sep 20, 2008 Brianna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book, along with the Plastic Ono Band album, were to me what pscyhedelia and the "bigger than Jesus" comment must have been to a Beatlemaniac in the 1960's.

Like taking the rug out from under you at first, the realization that John Paul George & Ringo exist apart from their cheeky grins and catchy tunes.

After the initial bruising, though, you develop a greater and truer appreciation for the men underneath the moptop -- in this case, John Winston Ono Lennon.

Plastic Ono Band has since b
Dmorell
Aug 15, 2016 Dmorell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Sheff va entrevistar al John Lennon i la Yoko Ono poques setmanes abans de l'assassinat del músic de Liverpool. Durant setmanes, el matrimoni Lennon va deixar entrar al periodista de Playboy al seu pis de l'edifici Dakota de Nova York, als estudis de gravació on s'estava enllestint el seu darrer disc (Double Fantasy, 1980) i als llocs que freqüentaven a la ciutat en aquell moment. De totes aquelles sessions en van sortir més de vint hores de gravació que es van publicar de manera resumida ...more
Claudia
Jul 13, 2011 Claudia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-books
This book is special to me for many reasons: as a fan, because it opened up the door for me between seeing John Lennon as a musician versus a person; and personally, when I first read the book back in1983, John's words provided a stable, secure place for me to go as I was experiencing my parents' divorce. I was overjoyed that there was finally someone I could read about that thought and felt similarly to myself. I never was a child in the head, and it was quite a lonely existence. His words kept ...more
Tony Newton
Aug 15, 2008 Tony Newton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
unbelievably revealing insights into lennon and the beatles. the wit, the anger, the scathing putdowns. of special interest: the song by song review of almost every beatle song he wrote.

and while you're reading this, why not listen to "Instant Karma: The Amnesty International Campaign to Save Darfur"? It's 2 CD set of various artists covering john's songs, benefitting Amnesty International's campaign to spread the news about the crisis in Darfur.
Brie Menut
Feb 11, 2013 Brie Menut rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very insightful account of a man awakening to his feminine identity yet still wrestling with a former macho aggressive one. It is clear in this interview, which took place a little over a month before he was shot outside the Dakota, that John Lennon was troubled by knowing an inner beauty and peace that is still not supported or encouraged by our society.
Fred
Apr 03, 2014 Fred rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've got less than four years to have a Playboy interview by John Lennon's age. Uh oh.

Does Playboy still do interviews / exist?

And yes, obviously I read it for the interview.
Rhea
Nov 27, 2007 Rhea rated it really liked it
I read this after Peter read it after getting a copy from Bill & Jessica.
Peacegal
Jan 12, 2010 Peacegal rated it it was ok
John's other major interview as a solo artist, published in book form as Lennon Remembers, occurred at the outset of the 70s. He was sarcastic, angry, bitingly funny, and radical. His second interview, All We Are Saying, took place at the end of the decade and sadly, the end of his life. In this book, though, we see a far different Lennon.

As the former Beatle reaches midlife, he comments on the apparent disparity between the lyrics of one of his early solo hits and his quite comfortable existenc
Tobin Elliott
35 years after my first reading, as per usual, this time the book hit me completely differently. All that time ago, I was a heartbroken Beatles fan still mourning the loss of a life taken too soon. And I was all of 19.

Back then, I could accept the somewhat spacier of John and Yoko's beliefs. I came at their words as a true believer.

Now, as the father of two, much more jaded by life, but still a Beatles and Lennon fan, and still mourning his loss, as well as George's, all these years later, I com
John Strubhart
Sep 19, 2011 John Strubhart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Beatles fans
Recommended to John by: Amazon.com
Kudos to David Sheff for getting John and Yoko to be open and honest about their lives and for focusing more on their careers than on their personal lives. I particularly enjoyed the end section n which John talks about how each of his songs got to be a recording. John and Yoko are artists in the most artsy fartsy way imaginable. It's astounding to see what they fell for and how little critical thought they gave to both external and internal ideas. It seemed to me that most of their decisions an ...more
Dr. Tim
As an admirer of Lennon, I must confess that I am unlikely to give a bad review of such a book. This book, as with others I have read about John Winston Lennon, is a juxtapositioning of optimism and sadness, ex post facto his death shortly after the interview on which this book is based. From thoughtful reflections regarding his colourful and sometime troubled past and his strangely prescient notions of his future, each part of this interview has an almost unspeakable poignancy.

It is hard to ce
Maddog
Jan 12, 2014 Maddog rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first read this in high school, and back then it was like a bible for me, partly because my high school was centered on the "actual" bible, and I always felt like a weirdo. It was good to read it again. High school Melissa had marked some sections with a purple pen, and found that many of them were the ones that resonated with me the most today, too. Beyond the John & Yoko specifics, it's a good book about other artists' processes, thinking, etc., and looking forward to more years of makin ...more
Jun 13, 2009 Sarah rated it it was amazing
A stirring conversation between two forces of nature and an adept journalist who knows when to probe deeper and when to let his subjects talk. This is wise, poetic, funny, shocking at points (particularly the parts about parenting) endlessly honest, and inspiring. The rapport between these three is dazzling. John and Yoko are at their clearest and fantastically unafraid, no defenses. Sheff incorporates detailed visuals as well as dialogue to bring the reader right into their rooms. It's haunting ...more
Susan
Nov 28, 2010 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good, quick, nostalgic read. Although he was always a little quirky, I found that I really liked the John Lennon speaking in these interviews. He was honest, funny, and very human. The interviews do give the impression that all we supposed to be true about Yoko Ono probably was. These interviews are a sentimental choice. I liked them.
Ahmed Khalid أحمد خالد
Some interesting one-liners from the sharp-tongued wit; also Yoko is surprisingly eloquent and much more digestible here. But in the end, this is just an interview with a rock musician, whose true greatness is best experienced via their music best. The song-by-song tidbits are interesting, but out of order and the info can be found pretty much everywhere on the internet by now.

jeremy
Feb 17, 2008 jeremy rated it really liked it
Shelves: music
"so possessions are not just physical possessions. possessions are ideas. most people are choked to death by concepts and ideas that they carry around with them, usually not their own but their parents' and society's. those are the possessions you've got to get rid of to get through the eye of the needle. it has absolutely nothing to do with physical possessions."
Sam Haidy
Nov 17, 2010 Sam Haidy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wawancara panjang lebar dgn john lennon & yoko ono, 3 bulan sebelum john terbunuh. membahas ttg hubungan cintanya yg banyak tdk dimengerti publik, vakumnya dia dari dunia musik selama 5 tahun utk menjadi ayah rumah tangga, visi2nya menjalani hidup ke depan, flashback ttg the beatles & hubungan dia dgn personil2 lainnya setelah bubar, dll. sangat blak2an & intens
Stacey
Jun 02, 2011 Stacey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Many reviewers also loved this book, but they forgot that Yoko had some great insights about she and John's relationship and about love in general. The love they shared went far beyond the controversies.
Danielle
May 06, 2008 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everybody
i thought this was an amazing read. i took my time and really took it all in and fell absolutely in love with john and yoko. gave me a great insight into john's life and felt like i really knew him. great, great book.
Npaw
May 16, 2009 Npaw rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked it, but of course it's an interview so it's not really about the writing. Knowing it was John's last interview was sad. Sheff did a great job with a difficult interview. I've read a lot of books about the Beatles and was happy to read some things I didn't know.
Marina Negherbon
Livro maravilhoso, completo, de leitura leve porém cheio de sentimento. John, Yoko e David estão numa sintonia perfeita onde todas as perguntas e respostas são interessantes. Li o livro em dois dias, não por ser simples mas por ser in-crí-vel.
Susan
Dec 31, 2013 Susan rated it it was ok
Shelves: biography
Reminded me of late-night, forever-long, deep conversations from my twenties. Gave me a much clearer picture, and more respect, for Yoko as a feminist.
A
Jun 27, 2016 A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beatles
It's interviews with John and Yoko. Are you interested in John and Yoko? Then read it.
Taylor
Apr 22, 2013 Taylor rated it liked it
This interview gave great insight into John & Yoko in their own space. I remember I absorbed this book quickly.
Simon Zohhadi
Mar 05, 2011 Simon Zohhadi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Music Fans
In my opinion, one of the best books about John Lennon and The Beatles. Especially good are the questions and answers about the Beatles songs and who wrote which Beatles songs.
Rose Stevens
Aug 28, 2008 Rose Stevens rated it it was amazing
I just can't enough of John Lennon!
KennyO
Aug 26, 2014 KennyO rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Being an interview this really isn't a book per se. It is certainly interesting to read the Lennon/Ono view of life but that's as far as it goes.
Aj
Mar 04, 2011 Aj rated it it was amazing
Excellent insight without the pontification of a biographer.
  • Ticket to Ride: Inside the Beatles' 1964 and 1965 Tours That Changed the World
  • Lennon Remembers: The Full Rolling Stone Interviews from 1970
  • The Beatles
  • Beatlesongs
  • Magical Mystery Tours: My Life with the Beatles
  • A Pure Drop: The Life of Jeff Buckley
David Sheff is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling memoir Beautiful Boy. Sheff's other books include Game Over, China Dawn, and All We Are Saying. His many articles and interviews have appeared in the New York Times, Rolling Stone, Playboy, Wired, Fortune, and elsewhere. His ongoing research and reporting on the science of addiction earned him a place on Time Magazine's list of the Wor ...more
More about David Sheff...