Start by marking “Running from the Deity (Pip & Flinx #11)” as Want to Read:
Running from the Deity (Pip & Flinx #11)

Running from the Deity (Pip & Flinx #11)

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  1,038 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
From the New York Times bestselling author of Sliding Scales comes the 10th novel in the legendary Pip & Flinx series, in which Flinx is all that stands between the world of the Commonwealth and a monstrous alien invader.
Published November 28th 2006 by Del Rey Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Running from the Deity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Running from the Deity

His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi NovikEragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher Paolini
Dragons/Serpents
354 books — 247 voters
The Host by Stephenie MeyerThe Taking by Kimberly DertingA Beautiful Friendship by David WeberDragons and Cicadas by L'Poni BaldwinBeegu by Alexis Deacon
Aliens/Others
119 books — 27 voters

More lists with this book...

Paul
Jul 31, 2015 Paul rated it really liked it
'He's not the messiah; he's a very naughty boy!'
- Brian's mum

In this instalment of the Humanx Commonwealth/Pip & Flinx saga, Flinx is forced into yet another diversion from his ongoing mission to save the galaxy due to his ship, the Teacher, needing to land on a planet to make essential repairs.

Not wanting to be delayed any longer than necessary, Flinx makes the unfortunate decision to land on the nearest planet, which happens to be a world that has yet to make first contact with any spacef
Bryan457
Flinx starts out to find a weapon to use against the hungry evil accelerating toward the galaxy, only to be diverted to a planet, on which landings are forbidden because of the low technological level of its inhabitants. Flinx has to land so his ship can make repairs. There he meets a backwater race of aliens empaths, and does what he can to heal the sick and injured, breaking the prime directive of the Commonwealth not to interfere with primitive species, especially using technology. The native ...more
Jeffrey
Jan 12, 2008 Jeffrey rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one save your money
Shelves: science-fiction
Fails to advance the main superarching plot of the series and frankly is just not that great.

Just another attempt by del rey to stick it to the Flinx fans by publishing a 255 page book in hardcover, this slim volume is slim pickings for the ADF fans.

Skip it.
Daniel
Dec 15, 2012 Daniel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable, Foster novel. I'm looking forward to the next one. :D
Anna
Feb 16, 2009 Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Based strictly on the packaging, I was expecting more humour than I found in the story, but that's not to say I didn't enjoy it. I'm not sure I could even really explain why I thought it was comical. Perhaps I was on cold medication at the time. It's entirely possible.

I found the idea of a man who accidentally stumbles into a people willing to worship him as a god, regardless of his intentions or desires, something really interesting to explore. Flinx is a very sympathetic hero, as well. It's ea
Rachel
May 03, 2011 Rachel rated it liked it
If you don't want to read another story about Flinx having another vacation on an alien world, skip to the end and read the last chapter.

The writing wasn't bad, but the storyline is predictable and bland. No surprises, twists or anything particularly exciting in this one. It's like Foster had to pump out another Flinx novel for his contract, and finished it as fast as possible with the simplest and most straight forward plot ever.

Just skip to the end if you want to spare yourself some boredom.
Lara
Dec 29, 2014 Lara rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
So, this book follows Flinx as he finds himself on an undeveloped world and tries to make the best of accidental first contact. What he's not prepared for is the reaction of the native people of the world on which he landed. Pip plays less of a role in this book, and the natives play a strong supporting role. The exploration of how best intentions can so easily go astray was interesting and entertaining.
Matt
Mar 20, 2016 Matt rated it liked it
A not very interesting diversion that seems intended solely to provide a transition from the end of the previous book to the beginning of Bloodhype, which is being retconned into the continuity here. (In a rather forced fashion, given the out of character behavior of Flynx in Bloodhype, especially in light of his relationship with Clarity.) Here's hoping the concluding three books bring it all to a satisfying ending.
greg
Feb 06, 2008 greg rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Another great read in this series. I enjoy the realistic turn of events that happen to Flinx, how the what seems like an innocent enough course of action can cause so much trouble. Even though it is not happening on earth and not everyone is human, you feel the same thing would have happend to you in that situation. It's just that Flinx has a much better chance of getting out of many of these situations than most of us.
Caleb
Feb 20, 2011 Caleb rated it it was ok
a Pip & Flinx adventure that I missed when I read the series the first time. Honestly, I didn't miss much. Flinx encounters another primitive empathic race during a repair stop over in his continuing search for a weapon against the Great Emptiness/Void. At this point in the series I think ADF just plain ran out of good ideas and was up against a deadline. The results were sadly mediocre.
Craig Russo
Sep 21, 2016 Craig Russo added it
Shelves: audio
Cheryl
Jun 25, 2014 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Shelves: room-my, fa-jk
If you think your day is rough imagine finding out that everyone on the planet thinks you're a god whose unwilling to help them. What's a guy gotta do to get away from his unwanted followers? Read this to find out.
Peter
May 10, 2012 Peter rated it liked it
Flinx book - need I say more
Norman Howe
May 22, 2015 Norman Howe rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
An enjoyable romp"," and an interesting take on First Contact stories.
Bruce
Nov 03, 2012 Bruce rated it it was ok
Another hackneyed Pip tale.
colleen
Nov 18, 2007 colleen rated it liked it
Shelves: scpl, science-fiction
read 10.26.05
Mark
May 10, 2011 Mark rated it really liked it
The first Pip & Flinx book I've read, so perhaps I wouldn't rate it as highly as if I'd read the other 8 first.
Amelia
Jul 05, 2013 Amelia rated it liked it
Amusing, light sci-fi. A nice easy read.
Mike S
Dec 25, 2016 Mike S rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-sci-fi
A good, but not great, story, still enjoyable, and definitely worth reading to fully flesh out the Flinx adventure.
Kittermeow
Kittermeow rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2009
Rollin Reeve
Rollin Reeve rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2013
Marty Gentillon
Marty Gentillon rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2012
Sean
Sean rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2008
Perry
Perry rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2015
David M.
David M. rated it liked it
Dec 19, 2011
Kevin
Kevin rated it liked it
Jul 21, 2012
Jen
Jen rated it liked it
Mar 30, 2015
caela
caela rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2007
C McAllister
C McAllister rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2015
Carolyn Gill
Carolyn Gill rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2010
  • The Warlock's Last Ride (Warlock, #12)
  • Phule Me Twice (Phule's Company, #4)
  • Privateer (The Flight Engineer, #2)
  • Young Flandry
  • Dragon and Judge (Dragonback, #5)
  • 1635: The Dreeson Incident (Assiti Shards, #9)
  • The Universe Against Her
  • Med Ship (Med Service, #1-4)
  • The Black Throne
  • Changer of Worlds (Worlds of Honor, #3)
  • A Desert Called Peace
  • Heris Serrano (The Serrano Legacy, #1-3)
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...

Pip & Flinx (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Tar-Aiym Krang (Pip & Flinx #1)
  • Bloodhype (Pip & Flinx #2)
  • Orphan Star (Pip & Flinx #3)
  • The End of the Matter (Pip & Flinx #4)
  • For Love of Mother-Not (Pip & Flinx #5)
  • Flinx in Flux (Pip & Flinx #6)
  • Mid-Flinx (Pip & Flinx #7)
  • Reunion (Pip & Flinx #8)
  • Flinx's Folly (Pip & Flinx #9)
  • Sliding Scales (Pip & Flinx #10)