Start by marking “Matthew Flinders' Cat” as Want to Read:
Matthew Flinders' Cat

Matthew Flinders' Cat

3.77  ·  Rating Details ·  2,408 Ratings  ·  136 Reviews
Billy O'Shannessy, once a prominent barrister, is now on the street where he sleeps on a bench outside the State Library. Above him on the window sill rests a bronze statue of Matthew Flinders' cat, Trim. Ryan is a ten-year-old, a near street kid heading for all the usual trouble. The two meet and form an unlikely friendship. Appealing to the boy's imagination by telling h ...more
Published December 31st 2002 by Viking (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Matthew Flinders' Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Matthew Flinders' Cat

Kathryn
Despite the title, this is primarily the story of Billy O’Shannessy - once a prominent lawyer, now an alcoholic derelict sleeping rough - and Ryan, an 11 year old boy who Billy recognises as having a bright mind and showing great potential, but who is cared for by a grandmother in the last stages of cancer and a mother who is an “exotic dancer” and a heroin addict.

Through listening to this book, I found out more than I ever needed to know about alcoholism, homelessness, drug addiction and paedop
Paula
Dec 09, 2012 Paula rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
As a Salvo in a former life working in Sydney, this book brought back so many memories. Courtney's description of the salvation Army's William Booth Institute was accurate and it took me back there personally, of the Majors who worked there... I'm sure I knew who some of the characters were really based on. I actually listened to the audiobook version of this book with my 16yr old daughter on a long road trip and I felt it was an extremely accurate portrayal of alcoholism, it's hold over people, ...more
Velvetink
Apr 03, 2011 Velvetink marked it as to-read
tuebl epub version 12/7/13

By co-incidence I saw Flinders' cat Trim the other day.......
"Trim"

he's on the roof of the State Library of New South Wales and is easy to miss if you don't know he's there. (In reality he circumnavigated the world with Flinders and met his untimely death marooned on the island of Mauritius.)

just near Flinders' statue.......
flinders

Bryce's inspiration is not far fetched as that particular spot by the Flinders' statue had two homeless people huddled underneath, and St. James stat
Anny
Dec 14, 2013 Anny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-western
This was a book about an alcoholic and a homeless one at that. The first part described what life was like for a derelict like Billy O'Shannessy. At first, I was not really impressed by his character and I wondered why government and charity organizations spent dole money on these parasitic members of society.

The second part onward was the gem of the book. The author illustrated why alcohol and drugs addiction are impossible to cure with sheer will power and why they ended up addicted to death.
Glenn T. Ryan
Dec 27, 2013 Glenn T. Ryan rated it it was ok
To quote an expression from the book, “I got gypped.”
You see, I’ve never read a Bryce Courtenay book before, not even The Power Of One. I’ve always been keen to see what all the fuss was about, so I finally decided on reading Matthew Flinders’ Cat. For me, the idea of reading about the circumnavigation of Australia through the eye of a cat sounded original and potentially entertaining. However, to my dismay I found that this novel is not really about Matthew Flinders’ Cat. In fact, Trim the fel
Debby
There sure are a lot of folks who don't like Bryce Courtenay's books, and this one sure had mixed reviews. I like a good story, and so I am a fan of Bryce Courtenay. I've never been to Australia, but one day I hope that I will make it there. First, the narrator-- Humphrey Bower is one of my very favorite audible book narrators. He makes listening to Mr. Courtenay's books totally enjoyable...FIVE stars!
The story. Wow, this is a dark one, for sure.
This is about alcoholism and drug addcition. It'
Kathleen Dixon
Jun 02, 2010 Kathleen Dixon rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kathleen by: Reading Seals
Shelves: novel, australia
This is the first Bryce Courtenay I’ve read and I couldn’t put it down. I’ve heard varied opinions on his novels so I’m obviously going to have to try some more, but going on this I’m eager to do that.

The narrator of this story is Billy O’Shannessy (without the ‘u’) who is a derelict sleeping in the Botanical Gardens in Sydney. Billy wakes one morning, in his usual hungover state, and is ‘visited’ by a 10-year-old boy who asks about the statue of the cat. Billy tries to brush the boy off, but hi
Jake Banks
Oct 17, 2014 Jake Banks rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Of Courtenay's books I've only read the Power of One & now Matthew Flinders' Cat, but what I love most about these two books is the importance and value they place on intelligence & education. From these two books I get a sense that education and self improvement in all aspects of life were important themes in Courtenays life & I love the use of those themes in his books. Matthew Flinders' Cat was an exceptional book with excellent storytelling and use of language which reflected Bil ...more
Dianne
Jan 02, 2013 Dianne rated it it was ok
Shelves: australia
This is a book in two parts (and two stories throughout both parts). The first half of the book is yarn telling in excellent form, and it's unlikely you'll be able to put it down. The second half, many will find the opposite as it shipwrecks on the sandbanks of 'the author seems to have lost interest too'. There's a rally of rescue which promises to haul the second half out of the mire and back onto the plot(s), but then publishing deadlines appear to step in and massacre the entire cast, leavin ...more
AndyS
Nov 23, 2014 AndyS rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book in over the weekend.

Started out pretty slow to build a foundation for character development.

Ultimately the book picked up past to a profound ending which I will remember for years to come.

I read a lot of books, many I forget the plots after a few years. Even forget titles of books... What I am saying is this is one book I will remember til my old age.

This book really touched my heart! Much more so than a Nicholas Sparks novel or Jo Jo Moyes book like "Me Before You" .

Bryce Court
Hearth
Apr 01, 2014 Hearth rated it it was amazing
Realistic portrayal of alcoholism and recovery--not too many artistic licenses taken. The stories about the cat provide a break from the grimness of the subject matter. First book I've read by this author. I listened to the audio version of the book, which I enjoyed.
Jenny Delandro
Apr 06, 2010 Jenny Delandro rated it it was amazing
a contemporary story about a man overwelmed by circumstances who finds the strength within to help someone else. I never knew there was a statue of 'Trim' outside the Mitchell Library in Sydney and was strangely complelled to go a find it. I view Homeless people in Sydney in a different light.
Isla
Oct 12, 2012 Isla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is not Bryce Courtenay's best book. Mostly it needed some serious editing, and it often seemed repetitious and rambling. The plot is ok but not great.
Dianna Shimizu
Apr 25, 2016 Dianna Shimizu rated it it was amazing
I love Bryce Courtenay's books. He's an awesome story teller and sucks you right into the story. This one, about the plight of the homeless, becomes more and more relevant.
Nermeen
Jul 15, 2011 Nermeen rated it liked it
هذه النبذة من ترجمتي بالكامل مع تصرف،
نبذة مختصرة عن الكاتب :
الاسم : برايس كورتناي 1933-2012
كاتب و روائي أسترالي من مواليد جنوب أفريقيا. تدور احداث رواياته في القارة الأسترالية أو جنوب أفريقيا. أول ما نشر له واكثر روايته مبيعا رواية The Power of the one (قوة الفرد) نشرت عام 1989 و تدور احداثها في جنوب أفريقيا. وبرغم خوفه من عدم تحقيق المبيعات الكافية والفشل بعد نشرها حققت الرواية مبيعات فائقة واصبحت اكثر كتب استراليا مبيعا وتحولت لفيلم كما تم نشر نسخة معدلة منها للأطفال.
يعتبر من أشهر وأكثر كتاب
Alcy_girl
Aug 18, 2007 Alcy_girl rated it liked it
This book is about a man that was once a prominent Sydney barrister but is now a drunk, who befriends a young ten year old boy with family problems and the story of a cat.
I enjoyed it, but not as much as some of Courtney's other books. I am still struggling with the whole cat thing. It was meant to be the focus of the book. The drunk looked up to this cat, but I still couldn't really get it to relate back to his story. Bits and pieces I could, but I just didn't feel that I got it properly.
My oth
The Reviewers
Nov 01, 2015 The Reviewers rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by Mary Monks for The Reviewers

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was a real “page turner”!

The author created very real characters and as a reader I felt very involved in their relationships and emotions. It was fascinating to read of Matthew Flinders’ travels through the eyes of his cat, Trim. He was a very wise cat indeed!

It was very interesting to have an ‘inside’ view of the life of an alcoholic and how this can affect all those who come into contact with the addicted person. The b
Elizabeth Krall
Dec 11, 2013 Elizabeth Krall rated it it was ok
A friend loaned this book to me, and because of her I struggled through it. My lack of enthusiasm for the book is due to my total lack of interest/empathy/connection with the two main characters, who are a homeless drunken ex-barrister (Billy) and a streetwise boy (Ryan). I simply didn't care how their story ended. Far more offputting, however, is that the eponymous cat thinks. And talks. And steers a ship. On a positive note, the descriptions of Sydney are spot-on, and I won't be able to pass t ...more
Marissa
Dec 05, 2007 Marissa rated it it was amazing
Can I ever say enough about Bryce Courtenay? this time he delves into the nature of addiction. He writes about the evils of humanity so easily and explores what is good and evil about us all. While this may not be his most gripping book (sorry boxing fans-3/4 through it and only one small ref to an old fighter) but the story line of a laywer turned homeless alcohlic who attempts rehab to save one little boy is still so real and believable. Recommended for Fans of his literture- I don't know if t ...more
Debbie Lamb
Jan 08, 2014 Debbie Lamb rated it really liked it
My first experience of a Bryce Courtenay novel and based on this, I will be delving into his catalogue again very soon. Really enjoyed this book and it was a real eye opener regarding addiction and the impact it has on all members of a family. It did seem a little rushed at the end but I was always interested in how each character faired throughout the novel. Has certainly changed my perception on homelessness.
Linda Tuplin
Jun 10, 2015 Linda Tuplin rated it liked it
I had mixed feelings about this book. The story line was good but could have used some added depth. I feel like I never really got to know the characters, just superficially. The plot was kind of predictable, and at times found it feeling a bit like a textbook on addictions. I liked the story of the cat, but the two lines through the book felt awkward. Overall it was an ok read, and got much better near the end. I did find the cultural language difficult to comprehend at times as well.
Karen Baldwin-porter
May 28, 2015 Karen Baldwin-porter rated it really liked it
This book should have more than 5 stars. I loved The Power of One but this is even better. It's a difficult read in so much as it touches on the darkest places addictions can lead. It deals with guilt and people caught in self loathing and the scum in society who should feel guilt and self loathing but don't appear to have the conscience necessary to go there. It is well balanced with the resilience and good that still exists in humanity. Great Read.
Julie
Jul 08, 2012 Julie rated it it was amazing
This is my first experience with Bryce Courtenay, I really enjoyed it, it was a real eye-opener about the life of the homeless, alcoholics, pedophilia and the justice system. As a sailing person, I have an interest in Mathew Flinders and as an animal lover wanted to know more about Trim his cat, so I found this to be a well rounded story all up.
I look forward to read more from Bryce Courtenay in the future.
Mary Monks
Sep 07, 2015 Mary Monks rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this beautifully written story. It was an interesting insight into what alcoholism can be like. It was heart-warming to read of the friendship between Billy and Ryan. I enjoyed the story within a story of the adventures of Trim as he journeyed with Matthew Flinders! The ending was what I had hoped.
Christina
Sep 19, 2011 Christina rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-re-read
Jodie Dickey
Jul 01, 2012 Jodie Dickey rated it liked it
I like his style of writing and I wanted to know what happened with the characters but found the passages about the cat quite tedious and the ending a bit rushed and unbelievable.
Story of an alcoholic derelict who used to be a lawyer who meets a young boy on the street who is going through difficulties with his mother and nan. They bond over stories about a ship's cat.
Anna
Jul 09, 2011 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An exploration of alcoholism and recovery, guilt and redemption, with an upclose look at how AA might work. Matthew Flinder's cat is the "higher power" ... This is my first Bryce Courtenay book (passed to me by a bibliophile friend) ... I'm not sure I'd have started reading another right off (The Persimmon Tree), but she passed it on to me as well and I just can't leave a free book unread.
Courtney Krause
Mar 12, 2017 Courtney Krause rated it liked it
Of all the Bryce Courtenay books I've read, this one was my least favourite. The main story was engaging and as good as any other I've read by Courtenay, but the story from the cat's point of view, interspersed in the main story didn't do it for me.
Julie
Mar 14, 2017 Julie rated it it was amazing
A really interesting premise to hang a story on - loved it!
Bronwyn Rykiert
Mar 21, 2017 Bronwyn Rykiert rated it it was amazing
I quite enjoyed this story about a down and out Barrister, Billy who had become a vagrant and an orphaned boy Ryan and a statue of Matthew Flinders Cat, Trim.
  • Territory
  • A Man's Got To Have A Hobby: Long Summers With My Dad
  • Far Horizon
  • Daughters of Eden
  • Moth To The Flame
  • Black Wattle Creek (Charlie Berlin, #2)
  • A River Town
  • The Golden Cup
  • Poor Man's Orange
  • We of the Never Never
I was born illegitimately in 1933 in South Africa and spent my early childhood years in a small town deep in the heart of the Lebombo mountains.

It was a somewhat isolated community and I grew up among farm folk and the African people. At the age of five I was sent to a boarding school which might be better described as a combination orphanage and reform school, where I learned to box - though less
More about Bryce Courtenay...