Start by marking “Wrongful Death (Detective Jackson Mystery, #10)” as Want to Read:
Wrongful Death (Detective Jackson Mystery, #10)

Wrongful Death (Detective Jackson Mystery #10)

Published February 24th 2015 by Thomas & Mercer

Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Mar 24, 2016 Maxine (Booklover Catlady) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, Crime Fans
The Detective Jackson series has been incredibly popular and I think personally a of that hinges on Jackson himself as a character, he's the tough, determined cop seeking justice sometimes with great personal sacrifice but inside he has a heart of gold, somewhat gooey at times rather like a melting marshmallow.

He's a very likeable character. And he has continued to hold the interest of many fans for years now. Any of this series can be read as a stand alone novel. I have only read two of them n
Sue1958
Mar 16, 2016 Sue1958 rated it liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Detective Jackson always appears to be the tough guy, the hard tough sweet tooth that when you bite into it all the nice sweet ooze pours out, well, he reminds me of that.

When a Police officer [one of their own] is shot, harmed or killed in some way, all pull together to find the person or persons who have done this and why not, its like family. And no one is going to rest until they are found.

This police officer was only just passing blankets out around the homeless to help them keep warm, the
Carl Brookins
Dec 20, 2015 Carl Brookins rated it really liked it

This is how it’s done. A murder of a cop occurs near a homeless/vagrant camp. It is winter in Eugene, Oregon, and the cop is on a mission of mercy to hand out warm clothes and blankets. In the next fifteen pages we meet the principal players, understand the scene and a few oddities, and begin to see the complicated lives of several of the principals. The pace is already just short of relentless. And a teenaged girl is attacked in a texted video.
It is clear you are in the hands of an experienced,
Paula
Mar 03, 2015 Paula rated it really liked it
I have really enjoyed the Detective Jackson series by L.J. Sellers. This is the 10th book in the series, and it keeps getting better. Det. Jackson works for the Eugene, OR police department, and this story begins when a police officer who helps the homeless in his spare time is murdered. This initially looks like an open and shut case, a murder committed by homeless twins who are mentally ill, but Jackson soon realizes there's much more to this story. What I love most are the subplots involving ...more
Stephanie
Nov 29, 2015 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I've loved all of L.J. Sellers' books and Wrongful Death was no exception. The majority of the book was a little slow moving for me, but not slow enough that I didn't want to keep reading. It really picked up at the end and had a conclusion I never saw coming!! It did leave me with some unanswered questions which was a little annoying. I hope there is another Detective Jackson book soon!
Alex
Mar 08, 2015 Alex rated it it was amazing
This is my first L.J. Sellers novel, and I devoured it in roughly a day and half. An intricate, and really well paced, plot that keeps you riveted while not overextending itself, and characters that are written in such a way that I can understand why the series has maintained it's popularity for so long. I have to imagine fans of the mystery/thriller genre would be drawn in as quickly as I was.
Tracey Shaw
Nov 14, 2016 Tracey Shaw rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good Twists

I really enjoyed the plot twist of this installment. I love it when I learn more about the supporting cast.
Gloria Feit
Sep 07, 2015 Gloria Feit rated it really liked it
The newest entry in the Detective Jackson series opens in the early morning hours on Friday, November 21st, the week before Thanksgiving, with the weather unseasonably cold and intermittent snow falling in Eugene, Oregon, and moves swiftly by its end to Thanksgiving eve. The pages in between that brief time span are filled with a police investigation of not one, but several deaths and other assorted crimes, including sexual assault and blackmail. The first sentence of the book is undeniably ...more
John Kurtze
Feb 19, 2015 John Kurtze rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WRONGFUL DEATH is the 10th book in the Wade Jackson series. Sellers involves her readers immediately as if they are inside the head of Detective Jackson as he proceeds in his investigation of a fellow cop’s murder. There are several subplots set in motion involving Detective Jackson’s personal life and his work. As the plot picks up momentum, Sellers introduces support characters, explaining each character’s role in the storyline. As events unfold, Sellers addresses social issues as she shares ...more
Cathy Ryan
Mar 23, 2015 Cathy Ryan rated it really liked it

Two investigations usually run simultaneously in the Detective Jackson series and Wrongful Death is no exception. The story opens with high school student, Ashley Devonshire, who is the victim of a sex crime. Her parents are being blackmailed with a demand for money if they want a video of the assault to be destroyed. This results in very tragic consequences for sixteen year old Ashley.

Wade Jackson is called to investigate the murder of police officer Dan Thompson near a homeless camp,
Michelle Stanley
Jun 28, 2015 Michelle Stanley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-murder
Reviewed by Michelle Stanley for Readers' Favorite

Detective Wade Jackson investigates the death of a colleague in Wrongful Death, part of the Detective Jackson Mystery series by L.J. Sellers. Two mentally challenged brothers, seen with Officer Dan Thompson after he distributed supplies to the homeless camp, are the prime suspects. The case appears “open and shut,” and Jackson is pressured to solve the case as relations between the homeless community and the cops become volatile. His partner, Sch
Angel Hatfield
Mar 18, 2015 Angel Hatfield rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews, mystery
**I received an ARC of this story in exchange for an honest review
Police officer Dan Thompson handed out all the worn things the community donated to the homeless people. He'd been doing this for 7 years. He was found murdered near the homeless camp.
Claire Devonshire's daughter Ashley was being blackmailed for $15,000 to destroy an incriminating video. Claire's husband had leukemia, so they couldn't come up with the money for the blackmailer. Ashley killed herself after the video was released.
Andrew
Jan 02, 2016 Andrew rated it really liked it
Wrongful Death by L J Sellers
#10 in the Detective Wade Jackson Series

Book Description
On a chilly Oregon morning, a policeman is found slain near the homeless camp where he’d been passing out blankets the night before. When Detective Jackson is called to the scene, witnesses point to a pair of mentally ill street twins as the likely perpetrators. As the case progresses and arrests are made, the homeless community revolts against the police, and the chaos pulls detectives away from their investiga
Rachel Gilbey
Feb 15, 2015 Rachel Gilbey rated it it was amazing
Thank you to NetGalley and Amazon Publishing for an advance review copy of this book. This is my honest review.

Detective Wade Jackson, is called to the scene of the murder of a fellow cop, and Schak, his partner's cousin, Thompson. Thompson was killed near a homeless camp where he had been handing out blankets to the homeless, and his death looks like it was a homeless person who killed him. But is there more to the story than that? Detective Jackson seems to think so.

Because Schak coulnd't be
Madelon
Mar 14, 2015 Madelon rated it it was amazing
I am such a fan of this series that I started reading WRONGFUL DEATH as soon as it landed on my Kindle. When I was just a few paragraphs into the story, I realized that I hadn't read it predecessor.

WRONGFUL DEATH is the tenth book in the Detective Wade Jackson Mysteries series. It isn't often that I find a character in a book or series that I would like to meet in the real world; Jackson is one of them. His back story is what keeps me coming back each time a new book in the series is released.
John Johnstone
Apr 28, 2015 John Johnstone rated it liked it
This my second LJ Sellers book and got a little less than I expected on the excitement side, however as a regular cop murder mystery it was fairly good. Detective Wade Jackson is given the task of solving the murder of a cop, who in his spare time worked to help the homeless. During the first cold night in Eugene, Officer Dan Thomson is murdered immediately after handing out blankets he had collected to the residents of a homeless camp. The investigation is difficult enough due lack of ...more
Kath
Feb 23, 2015 Kath rated it it was amazing
This is the 10th in the series and, where some series have gone beyond tired at this point, this one just keeps getting better. The author obviously puts a lot of time and trouble into meticulous research, adding levels to the ongoing stories to keep the series fresh.
That said, the information never detracts from the pace of the story. There is a perfect balance between information, storyline, description and (as with all good series) character personal stories.
The crimes themselves are shocking
Jackie Roche
Aug 09, 2015 Jackie Roche rated it really liked it
Even though this is the 10th book in the Wade Jackson series, I read it as a stand-alone crime thriller.
Two seemingly unconnected crimes have occurred. One is the murder of a policeman who has been helping the homeless for years. The other is blackmail. The blackmailer is attempting to extort money from the families of girls who have been sexually assaulted.
The pace of the story was just right and kept me turning the pages with bated breath wondering what was coming next.
The characters were well
Kelley
Aug 14, 2015 Kelley rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, series
Novel received courtesy of Goodreads.com giveaway

This is the first book I've been lucky enough to read in this series and if I ever have time, I'd love to go back and read the series from the beginning. Each cop in the story has his/her own backstory that I didn't know. However, that didn't keep me from really enjoying the book. There were plot twists and turns all the way through; every time I thought I had it figured out, another direction would open. I never saw the ending coming. These are a
Ben
Mar 06, 2015 Ben rated it liked it
Another solid effort by Sellers, who rarely disappoints.
I am beginning to wonder, though, how long her hero, Det. Jackson, can continue to go on putting his family relationships last, behind his job, before it all comes crashing down.
I took away one star for the sudden conversion to social consciousness of one of the detectives who up to that time was hard into the bottle, denial and self-absorption. It seemed a bit unlikely, IMO. And also for the book being a bit too preachy-teachy about the ho
Lynn Demsky
Mar 09, 2015 Lynn Demsky rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any one enjoying Detective stories
This was an incredible story – involving police, citizens, homeless living and sexual assault! With good people and bad attitudes glowing from all areas! I particularly enjoy Detective Jackson and his resemblance of a family and it was just enjoyable because there were two murders almost all at the same start of the book! I would recommend to anyone enjoying Detective Mysteries! Will look for the other books in this series!
Esther
Jun 06, 2015 Esther rated it liked it
I received free copy of this book through goodreads.com. This was a quick, easy read, written in a simple, straightforward style. Multiple murders, sexual assault and blackmail. The book revolved around the police investigation to determine not only the ID of the perpetrators but also if the crimes are related. The author does include activity surrounding homelessness, a cause in which she's involved, but not to the point of it overwhelming the rest of the story.
Peggy Roberson
Jun 08, 2015 Peggy Roberson rated it it was amazing
If you're in the mood for a good mystery, this is the book for you!! The story is well put together, and just when you think you figured out who did it - WRONG!! There are more twists to this story than I care to count, and Ms. Sellers really wrote an edge-of-your-seat book with this one!! I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for more of her books. Be sure not to pass this one up!! I won my copy from Goodreads, but it has no bearing on my review.
Henry Lawrence
May 04, 2015 Henry Lawrence rated it it was amazing
One of the best Detective Jackson novels yet. It had the right balance between Jackson's personal life and the case. What started as two separate cases blended into one.
A fellow cop is killed and the homeless population is blamed. I had a suspicion about a family connection, but I did not guess accurately.
Colleen Cremen
Mar 21, 2015 Colleen Cremen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another LJ Sellers hit

A continuation of Detective Jackson's story, and a good murder mystery with a lot of twists and turns. I love how the author keeps the reader up to date with interesting stories for all of the characters. Also nice that more of the police department was involved. Every time I pick up a LJ Sellers book I am hooked until the end.. Please keep going...
Georgia C.
Jan 07, 2016 Georgia C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love detective Jackson books!

I devour them. I savor them. I read them straight through even when it makes me tired at work the next day. these recurring characters are some of my favorites. I truly missed this being an audiobook but the narrators voice was in my head the whole time :)
Anne Thorpe
Apr 14, 2015 Anne Thorpe rated it it was amazing
My first LJ Sellers book, and I will be reading more. Well written characters, and interesting plot. Plus, I met the author and went on a tour at the FBI crime lab that she arranged, a fascinating experience. Unforgettable! Many thanks, LJ!
Barbara
A gripping read

I liked the pace and intrigue
I'd recommend to all crime fiction readers
I gave it a top rating because of the contemporary focus, clear plot, and an ending I just didn't see coming
Chris
Jun 01, 2015 Chris rated it really liked it
This is my first book by this author! I really think I will be reading more of them soon. I enjoyed this style of writing. I also Live near the city the story took place in. It's always fun trying to figure out where events take place!
Karen Albright
Jun 14, 2015 Karen Albright rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of action

Great books, I've read all ten in the last two weeks and they've been really good. Kept me on my toes and reading. I want them to continue! Great read she really brings you into the story.
  • The DCI Jones Casebook: Raymond Collins (The DCI Jones Casebook #2)
  • Al-Thar
  • The Touch of a Navy SEAL
  • Jasper John Dooley: Not in Love (Jasper John Dooley, #3)
  • Dying Wish
  • Never Apologise, Never Explain (Inspector Carlyle #2)
  • Duby's Doctor
  • The Farm
  • The City of Strangers (Stefan Gillespie, #2)
  • Gallowglass (Douglas Brodie, #4)
  • Nettie and Nellie Crook: Orphan Train Sisters
  • Wallander's First Case (Kindle Single)
  • A Touch of Revenge (Nick Bracco Thriller #2)
  • Silenced Justice
  • Dream Sky (Project Eden, #6)
  • Grand Theft Retro: A Samantha Kidd Humorous Mystery (Samantha Kidd Humorous Mystery Series Book 5)
  • Lost &  Found  (Daisy Dunlop Mystery, #2)
  • Odd Road Out
I write the bestselling Detective Jackson mystery/thriller series—a Readers Favorite award winner—as well as the Agent Dallas series and provocative standalone thrillers. My 19 novels have been highly praised, and I'm one of the highest ranked crime fiction authors on Amazon.

I reside in Eugene, Oregon where my many of my novels are set, and I'm also an award-winning journalist who earned the Grand
More about L.J. Sellers...

Detective Jackson Mystery (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Sex Club (Detective Jackson Mystery, #1)
  • Secrets to Die For (Detective Jackson Mystery, #2)
  • Thrilled to Death (Detective Jackson Mystery, #3)
  • Passions of the Dead (Detective Jackson Mystery, #4)
  • Dying for Justice (Detective Jackson Mystery, #5))
  • Liars, Cheaters, & Thieves (Detective Jackson Mystery, #6)
  • Rules of Crime (Detective Jackson Mystery, #7)
  • Crimes of Memory (Detective Jackson Mystery, #8)
  • Deadly Bonds (Detective Jackson Mystery, #9)
  • Death Deserved (Detective Jackson Mystery #11)