Start by marking “Rebeldes de Irlanda” as Want to Read:
Rebeldes de Irlanda

Rebeldes de Irlanda (The Dublin Saga #2)

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  4,613 Ratings  ·  322 Reviews
Después de la buena acogida de la destacada novela Príncipes de Irlanda, que relata los acontecimientos más significativos de la vida de Irlanda hasta el siglo XVI, Edward Rutherfurd continúa su narración. La presente obra nos conduce desde 1597 hasta las primeras décadas del siglo XX, a través de la vida cotidiana de generaciones de diversas familias, cuyo devenir estará ...more
Published October 1st 2007 by Roca Editorial (first published February 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Rebeldes de Irlanda, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rebeldes de Irlanda

Shawn
Oct 06, 2015 Shawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a terribly sad but fascinating novel regarding a number of families, Protestant, Catholic, and Quaker on the Emerald Island. It covers nearly five centuries of tumultuous history from the Age of Elizabeth until the Irish Civil War. This is the first Edward Rutherford book I have read and because of its epic nature and focus on specific times and places, I can only compare him to James Michenar. That is high praise. I do wish that Rutherford would have included some of the main historica ...more
Charlotte
Aug 03, 2007 Charlotte rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loved Trinity and Redemption; those who study Irish heritage
I loved this book! In fact, I loved the two book series. As one who studies Irish culture and history, I found this series of books to be not only entertaining, but educational, as well. Though not as dearly loved as Trinity by Leon Uris (lets face it, no one can beat Conor Larkin as an Irish hero,)this book covers that same period of time with a few additional centuries thrown in. I did find that I had to review the family tree on several occasions, as the multiple family connections became com ...more
K.M. Weiland
May 25, 2017 K.M. Weiland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much more gripping than the first book in the series. I appreciated getting a solid view of Ireland’s history and the causes behind much of their strife.
Tim
Aug 11, 2010 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice chronicle covering three centuries of Ireland's past right up to the Easter uprising in 1916 and the island's independence in 1921.

Rutherfurd's history sweepers are engrossing and challenging (Sarum, Russka). This one is no exception. I knew about the Catholic and Protestant divide over the centuries, but had no idea just how convoluted, murky, and ultimately intertwined it was. Family landlords, Old English Gentry, the Ascendancy, name changes, families deliberately deciding to make some c
Kristin
On one hand, I really like Rutherfurd's style of telling history. By following the same families through hundreds of years, it's possible to see how the country changed over time and how those changes affected generations of real people from different backgrounds. On the other hand, it is so frustrating to start feeling close to a character only to suddenly shift 40 years in the future, where that character is dead and his children are middle-aged. There were also many characters I wanted to kno ...more
Frances
Feb 25, 2014 Frances rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: irish
Simply magnificent. The convoluted, tragic history of Ireland is done justice in this epic book. Impossible to summarize so just read it.
Irene
Apr 11, 2017 Irene rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romanzi-storici
This was a well-researched history book with a low-level soap-opera plot: basically the perfect recipe for a boring book. The things that annoyed me the most were the shamefully shallow characters and the physical descriptions of female characters, who all are a horrifying combination of "peachy skin", "tender breasts" and other nonsense.
Patsy
Apr 29, 2009 Patsy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This sweeping (and I mean sweeping) epic of Irish history is the 2nd in a series. It's very ambitious covering a period from the late 16th century to the early 20th century. Great writing and interesting history make it an enjoyable read but it's almost too ambitious! I'm in the last 50 pages and am looking forward to being done! The most interesting angle of this history - one which I never fully understood -is how and why the religious rifts occurred in Ireland. I also learned the "old English ...more
Thomas
Rutherfurd is fair and historically accurate -- even sensitive, I would say -- but the centuries-long scope of the book is too broad to support anything terribly profound. Generations come and go, and characters who are developing nicely are quickly snuffed out by time. I suppose this is simply the nature of a history-based novel that takes place over a long span of time, and I suppose I was unreasonably hoping for something with a little more depth. It's not a bad read, given the parameters Rut ...more
Glyn Longden
Jul 25, 2011 Glyn Longden rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 7/10. The second book of 'The Dublin Saga; the first was 'The Princes of Ireland' which I read in Feb./06. I also read Rutherfurd's 'London' which was excellent. In this fictional account the English take over Ireland lock, stock, and barrel. After reading the accounts of British oppression you can understand completely why the Irish hate the English so much. Rutherfurd's style is like Micheners...a story at each level or time period. Very effective. I enjoyed both books in this series a ...more
Bridget
Finally finished! This was another fantastic look at over 500 years of history. The first book, The Princes of Ireland, starts in 430AD, and follows six Irish families through the reign of King Henry VIII. This was the second book in the series, following the same six families from the the 1500s through the Easter Rising of 1916. Highly recommended!
Mandy
Apr 14, 2017 Mandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At times the characters' stories and interactions seemed a bit forced to be able to fit into the timeline but other than that, great stuff. Also, not as descriptive of settings/characters as I'd like.
Katherine Coble
I'd set this aside several times, and was determined that I'd read it this year for St. Patrick's Day. I think it's safe to say that this is my second-favourite Rutherfurd, after Sarum. The characters' stories that we follow through the river of Ireland's history are good ones; they are compelling enough to keep you coming back even through the darker historic times.

Still, this is an intense book. I recommend it for anyone interested in brushing up on Ireland's history from 1500-1900, yet I cau
Sean Kennedy
I know the political history of Ireland is a complex one, but this second volume of the Dublin saga seems to think long plodding scenes of political discourse are more interesting than the human angle. It's absolutely bizarre that the Famine, the Diaspora and the Easter Uprising are all dealt with in the last hundred and fifty pages when you could have gotten a lengthy novel out of just one of those events alone.

Indeed, the end is so rushed that one feels shortchanged after 1800-odd pages. Are
Liz
Feb 24, 2009 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tells the peculiar history of Ireland through 2 long books. The first, Princes of Ireland, is fabulous, old tribes, princes feuds and the obligatory pair of flashing green eyes that threads through both books and centuries! I listened to this one, very entertaining and informative. I understand more of the "troubles".
Judy
Oct 06, 2011 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to know something about Irish history
Shelves: fiction, history
I listened to the audio version of this book before joining Goodreads in 2010. Rutherfurd does a wonderful job of bringing Ireland's history to life through this fictionalized account of the Protestant and Catholic adversity. He has a gift for making history palatable and unforgettable. I would read more of his books except they are so blooming long and my TBR list is likewise.
Milt
Jan 06, 2011 Milt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a very good read indeed. It defines both the chartacter of the Irish and the duplicity of the English with a balanced point of view and a good story sense.
Mike K
Dec 26, 2016 Mike K rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a number of Rutherford's books. This was not one of his best, perhaps because I'm more familiar with the history of Ireland. It seemed long winded - the stories were drawn out to no real purpose. His elaboration of the rebels at various times seemed weak and distant; he couldn't seem to get close enough to the people involved, only those on the periphery for the most part. I'm reading Paris next - I hope that's better.
Patty
Jul 16, 2017 Patty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anyone interested in their Irish ancestry should read books 1 &2 of this Irish saga. I had no clue of the British oppression of the Irish people over the centuries.. A historical fiction account through the eyes of various family members. It can take a bit to keep everyone straight, but a fabulous story! Book 2 is from the period of 1597 thru WW I.
Charlotte
Jun 08, 2017 Charlotte rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I found the pace perfectly set and the characters engaging and believable. The tragedies of the different families are so beautifully written that you're captivated by them and keenly feel their anguish. I love Rutherfurd's style of writing, I feel like I've learned so much and yet not been taught. It's brilliant.
Barbara V. Vaughan
Fictional account of Irish History

The book leads you through time with stirring events that take place in the lives of several fictional families. The historical content is concise. The elements of relationships make Irish history come to life.
Debbie
Jul 23, 2017 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This author is incredible! He brings history to life through talking about people of that time as if they really lived. His books are never dry or boring. Every book is a journey into history that leaves you wanting to read more.
Patricia Fisher
Jul 11, 2017 Patricia Fisher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great finish to the story of Ireland's history.
Jodie
Jul 14, 2017 Jodie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely loved this book. Kept me interested from start to finish
Nancy
Mar 19, 2017 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
Irish history in novel form covering about 300 years up to about the Easter Uprising in the early prt of the 20th Century and a little beyond and involving generations of several families - the Walshes, the Budges, the Tidys, the Smiths - Catholic and Protestant - and multiple real historical figures. Think Michener's Hawaii and you will have a sense of the scope of this novel.
YYCanuck
I liked RUSKIA!
Ray
Mar 18, 2017 Ray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite as good as the previous book on Ireland written by Edward Rutherford. Still worth your time especially if you enjoyed "The Princes of Ireland".
Annette
Jan 07, 2017 Annette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book II of The Dublin Saga begins in 1597 with introduction of plantation by English. “Colonies of English settlers were established to act as a sort of military garrison for the area. The process was known as plantation (…) in the hope that the settlers might teach the Irish how to live as sturdy English yeomen.” This book brings the turbulent time of Irish Catholics fighting for their religious and political independence.

The saga starts with two families of Walsh and Smith, which are intertwi
rabbitprincess
Nov 01, 2010 rabbitprincess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who read and enjoyed The Princes of Ireland
Shelves: from-me-to-me, 2010
A wholehearted four stars for the sequel to the very good The Princes of Ireland. I probably enjoyed Rebels slightly more than Princes because I had Princes to warm up with and become accustomed to Rutherfurd's style and storytelling method.

This book covers the period between 1534 and the 1920s, ending with the creation of the Irish Free State. There's a lot of ground to cover, particularly in the 1700s, but Rutherfurd's writing smoothly moves along through the ages and you hardly notice the pas
Shalynn Ford Womack
Edward Rutherfurd's remarkable attention to detail, elegant prose, and historical accuracy brought "The Rebels of Ireland" to life in such a poignant manner that I was in turns, moved to tears, outraged, deeply saddened, and actually shocked by the struggles of my ancestors.

Having traveled to Ireland recently, I was amazed at how much of 16th century Dublin remains intact, despite repeated attempts by England to conquer, divide, redistribute, and even destroy the ancient island. St. Patrick's C
First book necessary? 3 28 Jul 03, 2011 10:10PM
  • 1921: The Great Novel of the Irish Civil War
  • Ireland
  • Malachy McCourt's History of Ireland
  • I Am of Irelaunde: A Novel of Patrick and Osian
  • The End of the Hunt
  • Galway Bay
  • The Kennedys: America's Emerald Kings: A Five-Generation History of the Ultimate Irish-Catholic Family
  • The Course of Irish History
  • The Wild Irish
  • The Great Hunger: Ireland 1845-1849
  • Rebels: The Irish Rising of 1916
Francis Edward Wintle, best known under his pen name Edward Rutherfurd, was born in the cathedral city of Salisbury. Educated locally, and at the universities of Cambridge, and Stanford, California, he worked in political research, bookselling and publishing. After numerous attempts to write books and plays, he finally abandoned his career in the book trade in 1983, and returned to his childhood h ...more
More about Edward Rutherfurd...

The Dublin Saga (2 books)
  • The Princes of Ireland (The Dublin Saga, #1)

“So does nobody care about Ireland?"
"Nobody. Neither King Louis, nor King Billie, nor King James." He nodded thoughtfully. "The fate of Ireland will be decided by men not a single one of whom gives a damn about her. That is her tragedy.”
22 likes
“True the greater part of the Irish people was close to starvation. The numbers of weakened people dying from disease were rising. So few potatoes had been planted that, even if they escaped bight, they would not be enough to feed the poor folk who relied upon them. More and more of those small tenants and cottagers, besides, were being forced off the land and into a condition of helpless destitution. Ireland, that is to say, was a country utterly prostrated.
Yet the Famine came to an end. And how was this wonderful thing accomplished? Why, in the simplest way imaginable. The famine was legislated out of existence. It had to be. The Whigs were facing a General Election.”
7 likes