Start by marking “Journey to Fusang” as Want to Read:
Journey to Fusang

Journey to Fusang

In a world where European civilization has been left stunted by Mongol invasions, the New World, discovered and exploited by the Moors and Chinese, becomes the setting for the madcap adventures of an Irish con artist.
Published January 1st 1988 by Warner Books (NY)

To ask other readers questions about Journey to Fusang, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Journey to Fusang

Werner
Dec 17, 2010 Werner rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of alternate world fiction, adventure, and picaresque tales
Because I'm pretty much a sucker for alternate-world fiction, when I saw this book available at a flea market for a bargain price, I snapped it up. As my rating suggests, I wasn't disappointed --though I was rounding up; if I could give half stars in Goodreads rating system, I'd probably have awarded it three and a half. This was my first acquaintance with Sanders' work, though I've read one of his short stories since.

Since the Goodreads entry for this book has no description (I'll have to write
Vroom
Jun 05, 2016 Vroom rated it really liked it
Perhaps memory is clouding my rating on this giving it perhaps one too many stars, but a wise-cracking rogue in Chinese-dominated America where Islam is a world power was a fun read and a great alternative history. Finn ("of no fixed abode") travels, gets into trouble, and with no little effort, manages to get right back out of it, although will quickly fall into more as that's his nature.

I was trying to describe this book to someone and couldn't remember the name, which necessitated a visit to
L.
Jul 25, 2014 L. rated it it was amazing
This is the story of Finn of No Fixed Abode, an Irish rogue who makes a journey of discovery across a strangely altered United States. Mr. Sanders is a master of alternate history, and has skillfully created a world where Europe never rose to prominence. Finn and his two companions, Yusef and Allred, travel across an America dominated by Arabs to the East and Chinese to the West. Along the way, Finn encounters ninjas, Apaches, Cossacks, and many strange and wonderful things. He learns about life ...more
Bruce
Aug 23, 2012 Bruce rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Werner A's review of this book is awesome. I don't have much to add, except brevity ;-)

I've read this book at least 3 times since 1990 (pub 1988). And I've read a bunch of other stuff by Sanders on the strength of this book, though I have to say it would be OK if I hadn't, this is his best.

So many rereads, why 4 stars? Because it is sitting by the side of a bed that I only visit for a day or so every week or two, and I don't feel a compelling hunger to finish it. I'm happy to go on nibbling at t
Teshas
Teshas marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
April
April marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Derek
Derek marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Stephen Coney
Stephen Coney rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Omer Oral
Omer Oral marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Shane F
Shane F marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Tim O'neill
Tim O'neill marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
Eileen Makoff
Eileen Makoff rated it it was amazing
Oct 19, 2015
Bruce
Bruce rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2015
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Alex
Alex is currently reading it
Jan 09, 2015
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Dan
Dan marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Joseph
Joseph marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Allen Chen
Allen Chen rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2013
Suomynona
Suomynona marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2013
Ari
Ari marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2013
Scott Cleveland
Scott Cleveland rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2012
Emily
Emily added it
Aug 05, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2012
Mark
Mark added it
May 27, 2012
David Mckenzie
David Mckenzie rated it really liked it
Dec 03, 2011