The Harry Potter trilogy: The Philosopher's Stone / The Chamber of Secrets / The Prisoner of Azkaban (Harry Potter, #1-3)

4.59 of 5 stars 4.59  ·  rating details  ·  3,099 ratings  ·  122 reviews
This box set collects hard cover editions Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, and Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban in a slip case.
Box Set
Published (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Harry Potter trilogy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Harry Potter trilogy

Traveller
Feb 12, 2013 Traveller marked it as temporarily-stalled  ·  review of another edition
I'd much rather attempt "Arry P'otter, than, um... - well, see, i can check the English version after every sentence/paragraph..

I tried a kid's book, but without pictures, i don't get far- looking up the words becomes tiresome, so this is perhaps a way to go. :P
Ruby
The 3rd story has always been my favorite so I had to read it again. Of all the books it's the only one where Harry Potter is not battling Lord Voldemort so-as the little kid I was when I started reading-it was not "scary." I also loved finding out Sirius was a good guy and that Harry finally had a family. A great book for good feelings.

The second one was just as fun. Dobby is such a classic character and he always makes me laugh. My all time favorite was Professor Lockhart because he was such...more
Martin Hunter
Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone has become one of the most well known and popular children’s books of all time. I my opinion this is a well deserved accolade, this book is perfectly suited for those within the 8-12 age range, however readers of any age may enjoy this title.

The story centres around an 11 year old boy named Harry Potter. Harry is an orphan who has grown up with his aunt, uncle and cousin. Harry discovers that he is in fact a wizard and that his parents were killed by an ev...more
Zara
Harry Potter makes the world go round.
Noah
I gave in and decided I had to see what all the fuss was about. I enjoyed all the books, but the pacing is a little off. The earlier books are more obviously children's books, and then, as the broader appeal of the series became clear, she started to write for a more adult audience and both the plotlines and prose become more convoluted. If for some odd reason you haven't read these yet, I'd recommend them, if only for the sake of cultural literacy.
Hal Wilkes
Daddy's read you the first two so far, but by the end of the second it was getting pretty scary so we haven't embarked on the third. You've listened to Philosopher's Stone on CD with Stephen Fry, too, though I think Daddy is MUCH better at doing the voices, especially Hagrid and Harry. Stephen Fry makes all the characters sound quite posh, but Daddy's character's are much better defined and sound more like themselves. He's very funny.
Lb Baker
I'm only thing this boxset instead of the three books individually because I absolutely hate the American title: "Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone" Was there actually any need to change the title? Are there no philosophers in the US? Anyway, no need to rage.
Marcus
I can't but help classify this book Series as overrated. Really the first three books of the Harry Potter Series are just Okay. And not the good ok, but the not so great, I'd rather eat a turkey sandwich and watch that cheesy cartoon 'Captain Planet,' okay.

first book was just okay, the second book, was like poking out my left. and the third book was like stepping on my big toe. And then doing poka dance. (Okay maybe not that book.) But really my life would have gone on fine if I never picked up...more
Rylee Jane
All three books were magical, simple yet amazingly written and gutwrenchingly enjoyable.
I saw the movies before I read the books because I heard that if you read the books before you watch the movie there is a higher chance of not liking the movie because you imagined a very different one in your head while reading the book. Anyways..
Philosophers Stone I read three times! IN A ROW! It was that good! The way that JK Rowling wrote the series is amazing it's simple but still gives you all the deta...more
Rita
What I actually just read is Book 2 only: Chamber of Secrets.
Regret that it is the US edition, as I would prefer the original text with its 'Britishisms'.
But this is Karin's copy and she has the whole set in the US edition.

I enjoyed this a lot. I think DOBBY is the invention of a genius. Intriguing character.

My only criticism is the completely stereotyped nagging-housewife character of Mrs Weasley. Most unbelievable in someone with her powers. What was Rowling thinking??? [or have I missed some...more
Mondaynoaware
If you're a fan of Dianna Wynne Jones, you may find the first book enjoyable but bordering on pastiche. It's very similar to the Chrestomanci world. That said, it's a fun read and leads you into a world that DWJ fans would find familiar and interesting. The second book, Chamber of Secrets, is a bit more of the same, also enjoyable. I would give both these books maybe 3 1/2 stars. It's not until you read Prisoner of Azkaban that Harry Potter really comes into its own. This is where the world star...more
Orlaith
The first book I read from the Harry Potter series was the third one, Prisoner of Azkaban; it remained my favourite until the later books were published. The series is fantastic, as the world wide fandom can testify. The sotries are moving and magical, and although the content of Harry's story is quite dark - an orphaned boy who has an abusive childhood only to discover at the age of 11 that he is a wizard and famous in the undergroud wizarding world and that his parents were murdered by the mos...more
Mxdude
Nov 22, 2010 Mxdude added it
HARRY POTTER AND THE CHAMBER OF SECRETS

This is a very interesting book because he doesnt actually go to school at hogwarts at the start of this book, also he has to live at his aunt and uncles house because his parents are dead. Harry was expecting letters from his friends Harmione and Ron, but he never got any. His aunt and uncles names are uncle Vernon Dursley and aunt Petunia Dursley and they have a son called Dudley. Harry has to stay in his room all day and he has a pet owl and hes not allo...more
Katy
This book was amazing, I love all of the Harry Potter books I have read! These are:
Philosopher's stone.
Chamber of secrets.
Prisoner of Askaban.
Goblet of fire.
And I am currently reading the half blood prince which, so far, is amazing too. Whenever I'm upset I pick up my Harry Potter book and all of my troubles are forgotten as I am joining him on his adventures. I would recommend this book 100%
Lara
I was definitely a member of Generation HP. I was obsessed with these books, and I finally lost count of how many times I read them. My friends and I took on the personas of characters in the books (I was Ron) and would act it out at recess. Stellar read, obviously.

Books
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone 4 stars
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets 4 stars
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban 4 stars
Georgia.
Personally I think these books are very good. I would recommend all of them.
Eulix
Pretty good. I've never read these books before, though my cousin was obsessed and tried to get me to read them. I was president of amnesty international when I was in college. Upon hearing that the author was part of the British chapter of amnesty and that these books are her portrayal of human rights injustices/social justice, etc... I became interested in reading. These are very entertaining books; I like them a lot. And I can see many elements of the author's amnesty background. I'm looking...more
Jane Kerrison
The beginnings of the best series ever.
Renay
i enjoyed reading these three books immensely. well written and easy to read the story is interesting and mysterious.
after watching all the movies again the other day and catching on to yet more of the mysteries involved within the story i decided it was time to finally restart and finish reading the nooks.
the first three i was through in a day each and enjoyed thoroughly. i am picking up ever more of the little secrets and mysteries as i read.
it's amazing what happens when i concentrate! haha
g...more
Zoe
Awesome work, loved it!!
Julia
It was really interesting for me to read the first Harry Potter book with words spelled differently. I noticed that I could easily guess what the words were, and it made me realize that the American English and the British English really aren't that different. The story is the same, but a lot of the words are different or spelled differently. I enjoyed this book a lot, and I read it over again occasionally. I like it about the same amount that I like the American version of the first one.
Sam de Croy
I was, I pretend, forced to read these books because all of my nearly nephews and neices (the NNN's)made reference to them in letters and emails. In truth, having completed the first book I was as hooked as hooked could be!
Of course there are better children's books out there and there are better characters to enjoy, but these were very much part of the lives of the NNN's for ten years and I loved being able to rattle off my bits of muggle and magic chatter with them.
Jasmine
It's a really good book and I recommend it to most people!!!! Xx
Aileen Bernadette Urquhart
Wondering why JK Rowling is such a phenomenon. A bit Enid Blyton, but at the same time, well crafted story, describing a new world while pushing on with the adventure. Good characterisation. I was in tears at the end, which is my yardstick for a good book! Good old Neville Longdubot!
What was interesting was the translation of names. For instance, the pun Diagonal Alley could not work in French. I laughed over other names. Snape is Rogue!
Miss Smith
Finally started reading these and as usual, the books give a lot more detail and background than the movies. Good entertaining reads. Some of the things that happen in the books I feel you would find more horrifying if they were not spoken so matter of factly or accepted so easily by the characters. One of those reasons why people who read them say "they're not for children" but I think that helps make them very good for them.
Kate23
This book is one of my favourite books ever!! it is so good and full of adventure. A few years ago I couldn't get in to it but I tried again and loved it! I loved when Harry just got there and the hat was sorting out the kids into four different groups and I also loved when Ron, Hermine and Harry where battling who they thought was Snape but acctuley turned out to be Professer Quirell. I recommend this book to anyone and everyone!
Margareth8537
Bought the Philosopher's stone for the library when it came out and was very impressed by the way some of our young readers reacted. Immediately caught their imagination. We preordered any others she wrote.
I always read them first and enjoyed them. Can understand some of the negative comments, but think she has developed her characters well throughout the series, and I wait just as eagerly as the youngsters for her next ones
Mr. Purdon
What more can I say that hasn't been said already about these novels? I only read them and the rest of the series because my son received them as a gift for Christmas and I was left to read them to him! I must say we both were immediately hooked and I could then understand all the hype. If you are a purist, don't be too anxious to see the movies, as they are not nearly as good and stray from some key elements!
Georgie
I haven't read it all but i am enjoying it so far. I have read up to the part where they are on the train to Hogwarts. I enjoyed how amazed the wizards and witches were they see Harry Potter and the lightening scar on his forehead. Another one of my favorite parts in the book is when they went to the Zoo and how Harry was talking to the snake and it got away. I am hoping to Finish it in the next few weeks
Tara
I did not love this book as much as I did the first time. OF course that may be to the length of time I read bits and pieces as well as being exhausted while reading. I wonder if the scene where Professor Trelawney comes for dinner and there are 13 at the table and Harry and Ron get up at the same time is foreshadowing the last installment. Will either Ron or Harry die?
Goodreads Librari...: 3 HP books combined and no Page count 3 36 Aug 26, 2011 12:08PM
  • New Clues to Harry Potter Book 5: Hints from the Ultimate Unofficial Guide to the Mysteries of Harry Potter
  • Charmed Knits: Projects for Fans of Harry Potter
  • The Viking's Captive Princess
  • Percy Jackson and the Olympians Boxed Set (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1-4)
  • J. K. Rowling: The Wizard Behind Harry Potter
  • The Criminal Mastermind Collection, Bks 1-3 (Artemis Fowl, #1-3)
  • Tales Of Narnia: Prince Caspian; The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader
  • Dan Brown Boxed Set: Digital Fortress / Deception Point / Angels and Demons / The Da Vinci Code
  • How to Survive Summer Camp
  • The Spanish Duke's Virgin Bride (Harlequin Presents, #2679)
  • An Old-Fashioned Girl (The Best Of Betty Neels)
  • MuggleNet.com's What Will Happen in Harry Potter 7: Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Falls in Love and How Will the Adventure Finally End?
  • Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets: Sheet Music for Flute with C.D
  • Harry, a History: The True Story of a Boy Wizard, His Fans, and Life Inside the Harry Potter Phenomenon
  • The Dark Side of Desire
  • Muggles and Magic: J. K. Rowling and the Harry Potter Phenomenon
  • Rogue's Home (Knight and Rogue, #2)
  • The Maid of Lorne (Harlequin Historical, #786)