Start by marking “The Far Side Gallery 3” as Want to Read:
The Far Side Gallery 3

The Far Side Gallery 3 (The Far Side Gallery Anthologies #3)

4.45  ·  Rating Details ·  24,249 Ratings  ·  94 Reviews
The third Far Side treasury.

1988 FarWorks, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
The Far Side and the Larson signature are registered trademarks of FarWorks, Inc.
Published October 4th 1988 by Andrews McMeel Publishing (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about The Far Side Gallery 3, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Far Side Gallery 3

Jason Koivu
Feb 20, 2012 Jason Koivu rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
I was a kid looking for my own identity. Whatever it was, it was going to be different than my parents' button-down world view. I wasn't a hellion, so I didn't feel I needed to go overboard. What better mentor than Gary Larson's slightly askew humor?!

description

Larson's work was subversive, maybe not in a poignantly political way, but more in a silly way, which is perfect when you are a young teen looking for something more edgy than Family Circus and Garfield.

description

I always enjoyed how he put a twist on old gag
Ron
Mar 14, 2016 Ron rated it it was amazing
500+ wacky, cracked, endearing cartoons and I laughed at every one of them. I cannot get enough of Gary Larson’s genius.
Ronyell
Far Side

Introduction:

Now, I have heard many good things about Gary Larson’s famous “The Far Side Gallery” series, but I never had the chance to read them, until now! Surprisingly starting with the third volume of the “Far Side Gallery” series, “The Far Side Gallery 3,” I found myself rolling on the floor with laughter throughout the entire volume!

What is this story about?

Basically, this volume contains many comic strips of Gary Larson’s famous series “The Far Side Gallery” and each comic strip has
Brian
I remember loving these as a youngin. They still made me laugh. What an imagination.
Gary
Jan 17, 2009 Gary rated it it was amazing
I keep several Far Side books by my bedside, which I read just before going to sleep. I run through perhaps a dozen comics or so until one strikes my fancy and makes me giggle, smirk, guffaw, laugh, or chortle. It is replacement for sleeping meds. Gary Larson sees the world through the eyes of a mischievous child, an alien, an insect, a snake, an amoeba (so they don't have eyes, but if they did....) and just for one moment, you can understand how anthropocentric our perception of the world reall ...more
Timothy Boyd
Jan 15, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it really liked it
When you grow up life either makes you like Dilbert or you live in the far side. Very recommended
Bob Redmond
May 02, 2009 Bob Redmond rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphica
Because I am a compulsive reader, and because there was no ceral box to read, I read this while eating breakfasts or drinking tea while Amy and I were on our honeymoon. If that sounds impossibly non-romantic, think again: homemade big breakfasts in an A-frame cabin in the middle of nowhere on Orcas Island. Bald eagles scree-ing far above the mountaintop (it felt like a mountain!) and deer munching in the scrub around the cabin. Hummingbirds zip, freeze, zipping around the windows. Amy drinking c ...more
Michelle
Sep 05, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it
I love me some Far Side. The forward in this one is fun too since it's done by a scientist who shares why Larson is so beloved among the scientific community.
Beau Johnston
Mar 11, 2014 Beau Johnston rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humour
In thousands of years time, when anthropologists unearth copies of The Far Side, I hope they don't treat them as seriously as modern anthropologists treat the paintings inside the pyramids in Egypt.
Chris Gager
May 01, 2014 Chris Gager rated it really liked it
I "read" one - at least - of GL's books. Maybe it was this one. My favorite is the "Bummer of a birthmark, Hal" one...
Boni
Feb 04, 2017 Boni rated it it was amazing
In San Francisco, we love this twisted humor so much that we held an annal fun run at the California Academy of Science in Golden Gate Park, where everyone dressed up as a Larson cartoon! This was 10 years after Larson stopped the strip... and it was annual ;o)
Philip
Aug 17, 2011 Philip rated it it was amazing
On my trek across The Far Side, I've come across talking cows, birds, various insects and arachnids, more cows, squids, amoeba, camels, sharks, rhino, various dinosaurs, scientists (I've noticed in real life scientists don't talk, they're very introverted and read a whole lot...), whales (often appearing white, with a man in a stove top hat and harpoon somewhere in the vicinity), more cows, snakes, and gators... This list is not exhaustive.

My point is, there are a whole lot of talking animals. I
Mark Austin
Jan 21, 2015 Mark Austin rated it liked it
★ - Most books with this rating I never finish and so don't make this list. This one I probably started speed-reading to get it over with.
★★ - Average. Wasn't terrible, but not a lot to recommend it. Probably skimmed parts of it.
★★★ - Decent. A few good ideas, well-written passages, interesting characters, or the like.
★★★★ - Good. This one had parts that inspired me, impressed me, made me laugh out loud, made me think - it got positive reactions and most of the rest of it was pretty decent too.
Hilary
Oh, books of my past.

I've had The Far Side Gallery books for as long as I can remember. I grew up reading these comics and giggling to myself. Every time I come back to them I understand some of the more 'adult' and scientific jokes and puns and the comics only get more enjoyable. This collection of five books is fantastic, and brings together all (?) or at least a significant amount of Gary Larson's work.
Tweety
Nov 03, 2013 Tweety rated it it was amazing
What can I say? There really are no words to express when it comes to comic books. And yet, this is one of my Favorite far side gallery books. It may not make me laugh out loud like Garfield but, its just as good. When I was about five I'd watch my Great Grandad Pup sit and read with a stack of five or more Far Side books, and there he'd sit until he finished them all. Every now and then you'd hear a "humph". That's the sort of humor this is, not the kind you guffaw at, but the "humph" kind. Sma ...more
Amber the Human
Another used book store visit, another Far Side book purchased, and now, read. I had to head to the Iliad, the used book shop in North Hollywood, to pick up a children's book to donate in lieu of a birthday present. While there, I happened to pick up this book, and the Get Fuzz book Take Our Cat, Please. I of course enjoyed - and I think this may have been the Far Side book I was reading when I visited Calistoga with my parents about 14 years ago ... memories.
CJ Scurria
Nov 21, 2012 CJ Scurria rated it really liked it
Shelves: media-stuff
I bought this one fairly recently. It can be easily read from cover to cover in one sitting. While some of the comic strips were classics (I love the one where the family dog is holding a gun, etc.) I don't like it as much as "Madame C" Gary Larson's other collection of strips.

Still good though. I recommend it to huge fans of his and anyone who wants to get into his humor this is an okay book for you too. Just get "Madame C" or another book of his for a real guffaw.
Eddie Slain
Sep 26, 2015 Eddie Slain rated it it was amazing
If you want to get me, inside and out, read this now.

Then put it down, think about it, pick it up again, and find your favourite individual comic, and read it again.

If you don't laugh outloud until the tears come, you don't get me.

Gary Larson is a genius.

My favourite will always be the scientist holding a paper bag over his head, ready to pop it, as the other scientist raises a hammer to hammer the final nail into a nuclear missile.

Need I say more?
Molly
Apr 24, 2007 Molly rated it really liked it
As always, Gary Larson delivers. The Far Side Gallery is funny, provocative, and insightful, like all of Larson's books. Unfortunately, as with most comics strips, it's either all or nothing, love it or hate it. If you like Larson, then you are guaranteed to love this book. If you don't care for Larson...why are you here?
S. Qiouyi Lu
Mar 12, 2014 S. Qiouyi Lu rated it did not like it
Shelves: comics, fiction, trades
1.5 stars. There were a few funny strips in the book, but the rest were pretty mediocre. A few cultural references probably also went over my head, but that's not Larson's fault. I also feel uneasy with the caricatures of Native Americans, and I have to wonder what Larson has against jazz, particularly with the racist undertones of attributing jazz to Neanderthals.
John
Jun 23, 2008 John rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humour
I remember being introduced to the Far Side by a very good friend after a heavy session of serious alcohol...

I know that it's nothing to be proud of [but it felt good at the time], yet I have often wondered if my state of alcohol-induced giggles was entirely down to the Far Side...

ANSWER = IT WAS....

The books are outstandingly still funny.
AliceAnn
Nov 19, 2012 AliceAnn rated it really liked it
Shelves: re-read, comics
So why did it take me so long to get through a book of Far Side comics?! Because this time, for a change, I decided to read only a couple at a time, so I could take time to really observe everything in each comic. Usually I gulp these down like they were Christmas cookies, and they're great that way too, but this time I enjoyed taking time to savor every detail.
M
Mar 29, 2013 M rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one too! Gary Larson's sense of humor is whacked out. My favorite one it the dinosaur kid at breakfast digging at the bottom of a box of cereal, "Meaties" for his "free kid inside"!
Mark Oppenlander
Jul 19, 2016 Mark Oppenlander rated it liked it
Shelves: humor, comics
These cartoons are not as funny as I remember them being. But perhaps that is because I have read them all before (albeit many years ago). Also, I had forgotten how many of them involved bad puns and mad scientists.
David Ward
Aug 01, 2014 David Ward rated it liked it
The Far Side Gallery 3 (The Far Side Gallery Anthologies #3) by Gary Larson (Andrews McMeel Publishing 1988)(741.5973). Here is another collection of absurdities from the fertile mind of Gary Larson. My rating: 7/10, finished 7/30/14.
Karen Elizabeth
Jan 08, 2013 Karen Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Love Gary Larson. What a unique take on life & what a great lover of science. I read and re-read his books with irregular frequency. I still laugh. I sometimes "push" a "pull" door by mistake, too. God bless his compassion for our foibles.
Adam T Calvert
Sep 17, 2013 Adam T Calvert rated it really liked it
Shelves: comedy
While I wasn't a huge fan of Stephen J. Gould being the one introducing this volume, I still enjoyed Larson's ability to apply his distinct ability in making us laugh at everyday situations (as seen through a very odd and funny lens). :)
Gwern
Nov 26, 2014 Gwern rated it liked it
I think I liked them better as a kid; re-reading, I realize Larson really only had a few jokes & characters which he permuted endlessly. It doesn't grow up with you as much as some others like Calvin & Hobbes do.
Tammie
Mar 29, 2010 Tammie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I'm a big fan of the bizarre Far Side humor.
Jaime Contreras
Oct 08, 2016 Jaime Contreras rated it it was amazing
From the ribald to the witty, Gary Larson's humor is sharp and cutting edge. I kept picking this up at a local bookstore and thumbing through it until I broke down and bought a copy. Priceless!
The Incredible Lightness of Laughing 7 26 Feb 25, 2014 10:16PM
  • 'Toons for Our Times: A Bloom County Book of Heavy Meadow Rump 'n Roll
  • It's a Magical World: A Calvin and Hobbes Collection
  • Fugitive from the Cubicle Police
  • Groovitude: A Get Fuzzy Treasury
  • Enormously FoxTrot
  • Garfield Gains Weight (Garfield, #2)
19928
Gary Larson was born and raised in Tacoma, Washington. His parents were Vern, a car salesman, and Doris, a secretary. He attended Curtis High School before attending Washington State University and graduated in 1972 with a degree in communications. In 1987, Larson married Toni Carmichael, an archaeologist.

Larson credits his older brother Dan for his "paranoid" sense of humor. Dan would pull countl
More about Gary Larson...

The Far Side Gallery Anthologies (5 books)
  • The Far Side Gallery