Start by marking “The Last Patriot (Scot Harvath, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Last Patriot (Scot Harvath, #7)

The Last Patriot (Scot Harvath #7)

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  11,945 Ratings  ·  606 Reviews
Scot Harvath must race to locate an ancient secret that has the power to stop militant Islam dead in its tracks.

June 632 A.D.: Deep within the Uranah Valley of Mount Arafat in Mecca, the prophet Mohammed shares with his closest companions a final and startling revelation. Within days, he is assassinated.

September 1789: U.S. minister to France Thomas Jefferson, charged wi
Published July 1st 2008 by Atria Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Patriot, please sign up.

Liz No, but I highly recommend all of them. The have a continuing thread, not stand alone.
Liz Just know saw the question, apologize for not keeping up on this site. I also like to delve into history, wish we didn't have to repeat some of it so…moreJust know saw the question, apologize for not keeping up on this site. I also like to delve into history, wish we didn't have to repeat some of it so often.
Wasn't sure how to make these links, I hope this helps.
You'll have to copy and paste them. I hope this didn't over whelm you.

In fact Jefferson, Adams, JQ Adams, and Benjamin Franklin were all were deeply concerned about the dangers that Islam represented to the new nation. Our ongoing experiences with the 21st century version of the Barbary pirates off the coast of Somalia, most recently today when an American freighter captain was freed from pirate captivity by the US Navy, illustrates a great deal about our prior relations with the "religion of peace" and how our previous leaders reacted.(less)

Dan Schwent
After saving a man from a car bomb outside of a Paris cafe, Scot Harvath gets pulled back into the web of political intrigue. Scholars have uncovered the fabled last revelation of Mohammed, a revelation so shocking that it will shake radical Islam to its core. Can Harvath protect the scholars involved when a former CIA assassin turned Islam convert is gunning for them?

The Last Patriot was a lot better than the other Brad Thor book I got for my birthday. The tying of Thomas Jefferson, Barbary pir
Patrick Gibson
Aug 16, 2009 Patrick Gibson rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody, really
I looked this book up to put it on my ‘currently-trying-to-read’ list and noticed following the title: (Scot Harvath, #7). Number SEVEN? There are six more with this character? Shit. I am already hating this one and probably won’t make it to the end. Maybe the author wrote a few good books and then burned out on this one. It is poorly written, the characters are completely uninteresting, the American Government is trying to destroy the Muslim religion (oh, give me a break please) and Thomas Jeff ...more
Summer
Jan 19, 2009 Summer rated it it was amazing
This book was really incredible. I loved the fast paced feel of it along with the need to solve the world problem. It really got me thinking about how our country is ran and how much goes on without us ever knowing about it. On page 190-191 the President is talking and saying how the next person to take office will be shocked at how much they did not know and what dangers are out there people are just trying to keep at bay. This book was great I would put it up there with The Da Vinci Code. Ther ...more
Cara
Mar 16, 2009 Cara rated it it was amazing

The reason I give The Last Patriot 5 stars isn't just for the story, although improbable it is fast paced and edgy and keeps the reader totally engaged, I give also award 5 stars for shining a bright light into the reality of Islam in America and the danger of being politically correct. It is rather like Nero mythically fiddling while Rome burned after he had the fires set. Thor holds up a light in a dark room of denial. There are domestic terrorists in the United States just like there are in L
Ed
Jun 05, 2013 Ed rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Those whose TVs are on the blink and need a mindless activity.
This is the second book in the Scot Harvath series I've read and will be the last. I have had it with stories that only see black and white, good and evil, etc. and ignore any nuances. This book fits the genre perfectly.

The plot revolves around Harvath saving the U.S. from evil Muslims by finding a missing Sura written by Mohammed just before he was poisoned in which Muslims are told that instead of killing all infidels and conquering the world they should get along with other religions. This do
Fred
Jul 15, 2008 Fred rated it liked it
Recommended to Fred by: Glenn Beck
This is my first Brad Thor book. I was really hoping for a 5 star read. I at least wanted to be able give this book 4 stars, but I couldn't. I liked it, but I can't say I REALLY liked it (I had hoped I could). Was it a good book? Yes, it was. It was much to quick a read though. Done and over in less than a week of evening reading. There were points I didn't want to/couldn't put the book down, which may be why I got through it so quickly. In the end, however, I felt...let down.

The plot was decent
Stoyan Stoyanov
Apr 02, 2014 Stoyan Stoyanov rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I have now discovered Brad Thor. This is the first book I read by him, yet after some really superficial research I have found that he has made quite a name for himself as a writer of what the book cover proclaims is a "thriller". I have also discovered that this particular book has landed Mr. Thor in a rather Thorny (no pun intended) controversy. And I can see why.

Let me be clear about a couple of things. First, I would be dishonest if I said this book did not keep me turning the pages. I fini
Dryfly
Apr 27, 2010 Dryfly rated it did not like it
I found this book at the departure lounge in LAX. I'm now pretty certain as to why it was left behind. I can deal with tacky spy novel writing but this book was oozing with so much patriotic Americanism that it was pretty hard to stomach.

I've read a couple of recent-ish spy novels lately and it's been very interesting to me. I used to read this genre a lot more but that was 15 years ago. As a Canadian who has experienced this gap in spy/thriller novels, I have recognized a
new, really strong pat
Neil
Sep 06, 2014 Neil rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
632 AD. Deep within the Uranah Valley of Mount Arafat, the prophet Mohammed shares with his closest companions a final and startling revelation. Within days, he is dead.
September, 1789. US minister to France, Thomas Jefferson, charged with forging a truce with the violent Muslim pirates of the Barbary Coast, makes a shocking discovery: one that could forever impact the world's relationship with Islam.
Present day. When a car bomb explodes outside a Parisian cafe, Scot Harvath is thrust back into
Alain Burrese
Aug 04, 2012 Alain Burrese rated it it was amazing
I didn't read "The Last Patriot" by Brad Thor last year when it came out. I'm not sure why, because the character Scot Harvath, that Thor has created, is one of my favorite action characters, and I really enjoy reading Thor's books. I guess life just got in the way and all of a sudden I saw "The Apostle" in the book store and decided to get them both so I could continue reading them in order.

I don't know if "The Last Patriot" is my favorite Harvath tale, but I definitely enjoyed it and was glad
Pat
Feb 02, 2013 Pat rated it it was amazing
Audiobook--I love Scot Harvath:) Another good book by Brad Thor. The premise is there is a lost revelation of Mohammed (which Thor made up). When Scot & Tracy see a car bomb and save a guy coming out of a bookstore, they get involved, even though semi-retired.

June 632 A.D.: Deep within the Uranah Valley of Mount Arafat in Mecca, the Prophet Mohammed shares with his closest companions a final and startling revelation. Within days, he is assassinated.

September 1789: U.S. Minister to France Th
Michael
Oct 14, 2009 Michael rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Action fans, Lee Child fans, Eisler fans
Recommended to Michael by: Enjoy the author
This novel is packed with action and suspense. Fans who enjoyed Jason Bourne on the screen and in Robert Ludlum's books will enjoy this novel.
As other reviewers have noted, it combines the character of prior Brad Thor thrillers with the puzzle solving of "The Da Vinci Code."
The plot centers on the discovery of the final revellation given to Muhammed. It contains a strong rejection of Islimists who embrace violence to meet their objectives.
Scot Horvath, the counterterrorism operative, saves a man
Brent
Sep 13, 2009 Brent rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, thriller
Such a promising premise for a book. How do you destroy fundamentalist, militant Islam? The best way, likely the only way, according to author Brad Thor, is for a moderate movement within the religion to have a final say regarding the revelations of Mohammed. Citing the islamic principle of abrogation, which posits that later revelations to the prophet supersede previous divine directives, Brad Thor constructs a compelling scenario: a final, hidden revelation exists with the potential to permane ...more
Andie
Jun 07, 2009 Andie rated it it was amazing
While this is not my "typical" read, I really, really enjoyed this book and had a hard time putting it down. It is what I would classify as a "guy book", lots of action, military/secret agent based plot. I was constantly looking for time to read. It reminds me a little of Da Vinci Code or Angles & Demons, lots of little sub-plots that all start to come together while your left guessing how the puzzle fits. It also draws a lot of correct historical truths into the book which I really enjoy. I ...more
Sean
Mar 01, 2010 Sean rated it liked it
This thriller, which I read in two days (one of which was a 6hr bus ride back from Manhattan!) is another in the Scot Harvath series. Starting with two quick and intriguing murders, the reader (and Scot) are plunged into a giant conspiracy that has spanned thousands of years and could potentially change the face of one of the world’s major religions – and all current events as we know them. Reacting quickly, Scot is able to perform a heroic duty to his country, but the theoretical “lost revelati ...more
Chuck
Dec 28, 2010 Chuck rated it really liked it
98 out of 100 for 2010

A really interesting novel; kind of a cross between Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp series and Dan Brown's DaVinci code. Scott Harvath has tried to get out of the spy business and live life on his own terms; he's in Paris with his girl friend when he sees a bombing about to happen. He saves the intended victim, who is, of all things, a Jefferson scholar, and is soon drawn into a web of international terrorism.

Lest this sound contrived, at the heart of this is the historical truth
KarenC
May 02, 2009 KarenC rated it liked it

Story with an interesting premise; a little of the conspiracy theory thrown in. Kept me intrigued.

Learned about Jefferson's retreat home, Poplar Forest, something we missed when we visited Monticello several years ago. Also increased my knowledge of Jefferson's wide-ranging research interests and areas of expertise if what the book implies is correct.

The story dragged on occasion; got bogged down in the mundane or philosophical musings. The story begins with a major coincidence and keeps rol

Colin
Jan 03, 2009 Colin rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-finished
Boring, boring, boring. Great if you need a half hearted lecture about Islam. Bad if you want a book that is anything good. The writing is just passable. nothing breathtaking. I have a bad habit of reading more than one book at a time. It's really bad when I'm reading an author like Susanna Clarke at the same time as Brad Thor. When reading the work of a great author like Clarke, it only magnifies the weaknesses of a mediocre writer like Thor. I only made it about 50-60 pages in and just couldn' ...more
Maria
May 02, 2015 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great mix of fiction with a little historical interjection. First time reading this author. The gear, weapons, and equipment described in the book are real. That's incredible! But if the story line has any truth to it regarding militant Islam, that is scary!
Beth
Aug 24, 2008 Beth rated it really liked it
This has been an excellent book so far! I saw a review of this book & decided to give it a try. I think I may have found another author to add to my list of favorites which means I now have a source of books which I have not read yet!

Addendum:

I enjoyed this book for a variety of reasons. The author has experience in the field which he wrote about so the plot felt authentic. It did leave me a little flat in the end though. I'm not sure but there may be a continuing story in there.
Jim
Jan 27, 2016 Jim rated it liked it
Shelves: thrillers, ebooks, fiction
A great read for the most part, but a couple of huge and avoidable things really hurt it. Without spoiling things too much, I'll just say that (a) if you're working for the president and you have access to the White House and its security to facilitate the performance of some of that work, then it's probably not a good idea to opt instead to work from a rural and isolated location outside of D.C. that has poor security; and (b) when you've cornered a guy at the end of the story who has info that ...more
Timothy Stone
Feb 02, 2014 Timothy Stone rated it it was amazing
Okay, I have to admit it. I am a HUGE fan of the television show *24*. Though recently ended, there are rumors that the production team is working on a film trilogy about our tough hero Jack Bauer. Why do I mention all of this right now? Because the *Scot Harvath* series of books by Brad Thor are to literature what *24* was/is to television and film.

This was my first foray into Brad Thor’s books, and it was well worth it. Some of the plots have been said to be over the top, but are they really?
Carl Alves
Dec 14, 2014 Carl Alves rated it liked it
In The Last Patriot, former Navy SEAL turned Homeland Security operative, Scott Harvath is in a race to uncover a deep secret that he feels will stop terrorism. In a storyline that will undoubtedly infuriate Muslims around the world, the story goes from Mecca in the seventh century to the early days of the United States when Thomas Jefferson was the minister to France, then to modern day where radical Islamists are hell bent on stopping him.

There is a good deal of action and this is a fun read.
Ru
Jun 22, 2014 Ru rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always, Brad Thor brings incredible action and intrigue throughout this Scot Harvath thriller, and on that level alone, this novel is terrific. However, the plot of this book borrows a little too heavily on other genres and didn't flow as smoothly as the author's other works, for my liking, anyway. And, I'm still not sure why this is called "The Last Patriot", although it's a nifty, albeit generic, title.

Former Agent Harvath is on the hunt for an ancient text that will bring forth world-chang
Nuno Magalhães
Este livro de Brad Thor desenvolve uma história em torno da possibilidade de se reformar a Religião Islâmica a partir de dentro através de uma última revelação do Profeta maomé que não constaria no Alcorão. A ideia é original e o livro em si lê-se bem, contendo capítulos curtos e concisos e uma acção contínua ao longo da narrativa. Trata-se essencialmente de uma história de suspense que, sem entusiasmar, acaba por proporcionar alguns momentos de diversão.
Jose' Brown
Feb 05, 2015 Jose' Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scot Harvath saves Thomas Jefferson`s invention from the Muslim brotherhood. Semi fictional account of why the US Navy saying was "on the shores of Tripoli" and the battles with Barbary pirates. The story weaves an intricate story (need to back up 10 pages to keep the story line) of rogue agents,CIA and FBI fueding, and the latest in military hardware. ...more
ElaineY
Didn't care for the Da Vinci Code-type plot. Other than that, the usual action, explosions, torture et al.
Bob Ryan
Oct 24, 2015 Bob Ryan rated it liked it
I found this Harvath story to be an nice change to the previous ones. The first part of the book is the typical action thriller we've come to expect from Harvath, this time with an untrained companion. The second part of the book takes on a Dan Brown flavor as Harvath gets involved with a mystery that touches Thomas Jefferson and his homes in Virginia.

Thor does a nice job in bringing the historical information into the story. I really felt I learned a little about Jefferson from reading the stor
Larry Johnson
Sep 24, 2014 Larry Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brad Thor is one of the best authors I've read in recent years. "The Last Patriot" is a thrill-ride, somewhat of a history lesson, and a novel that will have you wondering what's real and not real. Thor has a great understanding of current events and an eye for how events can continue to get worse if we don't pay attention or if we continue to not take a stand for our rights and our beliefs.

The characters continue to capture the reader's attention and once you start you're going to find it diffi
Stacey
Jul 06, 2014 Stacey rated it liked it
Seven books in, I'm officially hooked on Scot Harvath.

That being said, it took me a long time to warm up to this series (that happened around book 3) and I felt like this was a step back towards the writing i liked less in books 1 and 2. It seemed as though there was a lot of time spent on descriptive narration that was not essential to the plot, but was rather about the author showing off the research he had put into writing the book.

Additionally, the ending was truly bizarre and also include
Was he charged for using adjectives? 1 18 Nov 03, 2014 04:45PM
The Last Patriot 2 33 Jul 12, 2014 02:48PM
To be released in July '08? 1 13 Mar 05, 2008 03:08PM
  • Protect and Defend (Mitch Rapp, #10)
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
  • The Widow's Strike (Pike Logan, #4)
  • The Ghost War (John Wells, #2)
  • The Invisible (Ryan Kealey, #3)
  • Spy (Alexander Hawke, #4)
Thanks for stopping by my Goodreads Author page. In addition to my novels, I have just published my very first short story, THE ATHENS SOLUTION. Originally published in the anthology, THRILLER, I have revised THE ATHENS SOLUTION and have included an in-depth bonus afterword. Along with the film projects, I am busy working on my brand new thriller, FOREIGN AGENT. FOREIGN AGENT will be published Jun ...more
More about Brad Thor...

Scot Harvath (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Lions of Lucerne (Scot Harvath, #1)
  • Path of the Assassin (Scot Harvath, #2)
  • State of the Union (Scot Harvath, #3)
  • Blowback (Scot Harvath, #4)
  • Takedown (Scot Harvath, #5)
  • The First Commandment (Scot Harvath, #6)
  • The Apostle (Scot Harvath, #8)
  • Foreign Influence (Scot Harvath, #9)
  • Full Black (Scot Harvath, #10)
  • Black List (Scot Harvath, #11)

“There are many lay people and scholars alike, both with and without the Muslim community, who feel that the pure orthodox Islam of the fundamentalists could never survive outside the context of its seventh-century Arabian origins. Apply twenty-first-century science, logic, or humanistic reasoning to it and it falls apart.
They believe this is why Islam has always relied so heavily on the threat of death. Question Islam, malign Islam, or leave Islam and you will be killed. It is a totalitarian modus operandi that silences all dissent and examination, thereby protecting the faith from ever having to defend itself.”
16 likes
“While the words are yet unspoken, you are master of them; when once they are spoken, they are master of you.” 2 likes