Start by marking “Wyrd Sisters: The Play” as Want to Read:
Wyrd Sisters: The Play

Wyrd Sisters: The Play (Discworld Stage Adaptations)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  5,032 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Adapted for the stage by Stephen Briggs, in this tale there is a wicked duke and duchess, a ghost of a murdered king, dim soldiers, strolling players, and a land in peril. But it is three witches who stand between the Kingdom and destruction.
Published May 1st 1996 by Transworld Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Wyrd Sisters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wyrd Sisters

Boneshaker by Cherie PriestNew Amsterdam by Elizabeth BearTaken by Sunny WolfePaladin of Souls by Lois McMaster BujoldRemnant Population by Elizabeth Moon
Speculative fiction heroines who are 40+
9th out of 51 books — 27 voters
Sense and Sensibility by Jane AustenPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenMansfield Park by Jane AustenEmma by Jane AustenNorthanger Abbey by Jane Austen
For my library
73rd out of 102 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Sakina Murdock
My favourite Terry Pratchett book and the first one I ever read, Wyrd Sisters is a Discworld take on MacBeth. The witches are hilarious and the storms magnificent.
Chelle
I listened to the BBC production of this play. It was hilarious and well done.
Emily
Oct 19, 2012 Emily rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: plays
The premise was interesting but the writing was terrible. The dialogue was okay but I absolutely hated the 'stage directions'. There were no stage directions. It was just the author telling the reader about his production. It wasn't amusing and things like "hits them over the head with a rock, or whatever your props people can find" is just unnecessary. I like my playwrights to put down what they want to happen and leave it up to the theater groups to figure out how to make it work.
I will say, h
Danielle Lovesey
This is a really good play, I have yet to read the books its based off of, but if the play is anything to go by I shall throughly enjoy the book.
Cheri Bauer
Laugh after laugh, littered with colourful imagery and off-kilter saucery (yes, I said saucery).
Emilie
Heavy on the wit, sometimes hard to follow the plot but over all a fun read and definitely worth it for the laughs
Tina
Nov 06, 2007 Tina rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: drama
I liked the novel a lot better, but I was interested to see what it would read like as a play. I bet it'd be fun to watch, but reading it was just okay -- a lot of cool stuff got left out. Still a fun play on Macbeth and a way to get a quick taste of Discworld for ppl who don't want to commit to an entire book.
Yolanda
This book was chosen my a member of the reading group I belong to - my son (who is an avid Pratchett fan) told me it wasn't for me - and it wasn't. I wanted to like it but didn't - I had to read it in-between reading other books just for the sake of finishing it. I just don't get it!
Joy Moonwillow
The first of the witches series which brings together Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, and Magrat Garlic. Highly recommended for witches or those who know some real world witches. It's inspired by Macbeth and the power of the theater to transform reality. Super cool!
Solar
I love Terry Prachett's books in general but particularly those involving the witches as much in this world could be solved by 'headology'.
Gutted about his personal health situation for him and family and the loss to all of us w3ho love his books.
Sharyn Galbraith
Granny Weatherwax. Nanny Ogg. So many Shakespeare parodies it's not funny...although it actually really is. Ranks with 'Night Watch' as one of my favourite Pratchett books.
Drucilla Pettibone
Just would rather have read the novel than the play adaptation. This was the only version available on kindle when I got it. Still, lots of fun!
Markus
Frei nach dem Shakespeare Stück, es hilft wenn man es kennt aber auch ansonsten ist das ein Vorzeigepratchett. Sehr amüsant.
C. P.
Impeccable imagination, unique storytelling ability, and a master of writing. Granny Weatherwax is something else.
Thrishni Subramoney
This is how Macbeth should have been written. Be warned. You may laugh so hard that you may actually pull a muscle.
Julie
Good, but I find he gets more serious when the protagonists are women. I prefer the kookier stories.
Lorna
Very confusing fantasy about 3 witches. 2 out of 5 in my book club liked it. YUK
Maria
I've read them all, but this is my favourite. Wish I were Granny Weatherwax.
Aine
Not his best, but a fun read all the same- the story of Macbeth lives on!
Slava
I'm reading the whole Discworld series 4th time - what else can I say about it.
Julie Shipperley
First Terry Prachett I ever read and it got me completely hooked.
Elliat
Wonderful read... couldn't put it down, can't recommend enough.
Jools
The best of the Pratchett novels, I believe - amazing!!
Kimberly
One of my all time Pratchett favorites.
Chris
I want the cast of Blackadder to do this play!
Robert
My first Pratchett and possibly my favourite.
Mary  Kendall
I love Terry Pratchett
Dana Clark
Take that Shakespeare
Vicky Massingham
A great book by a fab author!
  • Terry Pratchett
  • The Wyrdest Link: A Terry Pratchett Discworld Quizbook
  • In Your Dreams (J. W. Wells & Co., #2)
  • Primordial Soup: The Least Worst Scripts (Red Dwarf)
  • The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: The Primary Phase (Hitchhiker's Guide: Radio Play, #1)
  • The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy
  • Husbands
  • The Madness of George III
  • Web Site Story
  • Archer's Goon
  • The Queen's Librarian
  • Hajduk na Dunavu
  • The Black Queen (Black Throne, #1; The Fey, #6)
  • Four Comedies: The Taming of the Shrew, a Midsummer Night's Dream, the Merchant of Venice, Twelfth Night
  • Shadowheart (Legends of the Raven, #2)

More about Terry Pratchett...

Discworld Stage Adaptations (9 books)
  • Guards! Guards!: The Play
  • Interesting Times: The Play
  • Maskerade: The Play
  • Mort: The Play
  • Men at Arms: The Play
  • Making Money: The Play
  • The Truth: Stage Adaptation
  • Terry Pratchett's Lords And Ladies: Play (The Play)
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch The Color of Magic (Discworld, #1) Mort (Discworld, #4) Guards! Guards! (Discworld, #8) Night Watch (Discworld, #29)