Start by marking “Strange Animals: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Strange Animals: A Novel

Strange Animals: A Novel

In the days that followed Karen's decision to postpone the abortion, she became increasingly aware of the unique position pregnancy afforded her. . . .

For the first time in her life, she began to feel that she could do something that changed the way people thought. . . .

It might be the best idea she would ever have.

Karen Halloway is a philosophy graduate student, searching
Published July 7th 2015 by Harper Perennial

To ask other readers questions about Strange Animals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strange Animals

Thomas Drago
Aug 12, 2015 Thomas Drago rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've enjoyed all five of Chad Kultgen's novels. He's my favorite current author (and also the world's best squirrel photographer). This book cuts right to the heart of the pro-choice/pro-life debate by exposing the radical Christian right for what they are - corporate machines aimed at controlling women and denying freedom to all those with different ideologies. The narrative alternates seamlessly between the two main characters and builds momentum until their final confrontation. The book will ...more
Angus McKeogh
Oct 02, 2015 Angus McKeogh rated it liked it
So this one was clicking along pretty well but the idea just started to run out of steam. Then the book just sort of meandered along with an outcome that you could guess 150 pages from the end. Basically a treatise on the absurdity of religion and the inherent dangers that exist from those of us who believe they are doing the will of the invisible guy in the sky. And I realize that really exists in the world. And I might actually agree with his points; however, that doesn't necessarily dictate ...more
May 26, 2016 Jessica rated it really liked it
You know a book has been well worth reading when you willingly only get three hours of sleep before work the next day in order to devour the last few chapters. A book that can be classified as such is Chad Kultgen's 'Strange Animals'.

I tried to drag this novel out for as long as I could in fear of what I knew would be the inevitable outcome of the protagonists eventual meeting. I felt that Karen and James were both illustrated in such a way that the base argument of the novel came through clearl
Ju$tin
Sep 26, 2015 Ju$tin rated it really liked it
Not my favorite Chad Kultgen book. (I've read them all)

But, 23x 1 star reviews that are from people who didn't buy the book, out of 50 reviews?? Not to mention a lot of them are 20 words or less. Just wanted to point that out. This book should have far better ratings than what is showing.

I really don't have much else to say. I thought this was a 3.5 and am rounding up. Would love to see more atheism fiction in the future by Chad.
Shannon
Aug 15, 2016 Shannon rated it really liked it
I'm a fan of Chad Kultgen because he writes about uncomfortable subjects, this time focusing on the abortion/pro-life debate and mainstream religion. Although the ending is exactly what you'd expect, it's quite thought-provoking and overall the story has a different feel compared to his previous novels. More, please!
Salvador Esparza jr.
Oct 20, 2015 Salvador Esparza jr. rated it really liked it
Phenomenal concept. Brilliant characters. Blunt, beautiful writing. Only issues I had were that it ended too fast and the ending was too predictable.
Oct 01, 2015 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thought-provoking. Shocking. Controversial. Amazing. Kultgen's best work yet.
John Travers
Nov 09, 2016 John Travers rated it did not like it
Dire. Absolutely awful. I liked his other books and the premise was decent, the idea of a female leaving the life of her baby up to whether she got enough online donations was novel. But the writing is really bad and it's such a boring trudge from about 20 percent of the way through the book when you know what's going to happen and it's so boring getting there and then a bland predictable ending. Really really bad.
defne
Sep 14, 2016 defne rated it liked it
Definitely not my favorite Kultgen. I liked the way he described every encountered person's religious ideology, but halfway through the plot was too predictable. Great ideas inside, but not carried out in the full Kultgenesque way.
Ben Hathaway
Dec 29, 2015 Ben Hathaway rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Out of the five CK books so far, I'd say this is comfortably fifth in terms of quality and readability. The other four were all so good, and funny, that I found this a bit of a let-down. It may well be some people's favourite but for me it lacked the humour and satire of the other novels. It ends so abruptly as well, without potentially tidying up the themes CK is constantly discussing (mostly religion). Theres probably a slightly better story lurking there somewhere but I didn't really care ...more
Paul
Sep 19, 2015 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been a big fan of Chad's other books and was looking forward to this. First point to make - this is a very different read to his other books - Chad now focuses on the larger subject of religion, what it means to individuals, and how these differences affect relationships and the world as a whole.

I really get this. I am not religious. I bounce between considering myself an atheist and agnostic and for me, I really don't understand why some people have the views they have. Each character i
Brittney Boseman
Mar 27, 2016 Brittney Boseman rated it it was amazing
Strange animals is a dark joyride through a dangerous neighborhood. The story unfolds slowly because of the rich detail of each character's thoughts on the main points in the book. The characters aren't initially likeable much like other characters in his books but you grow to know them and love (maybe love is too strong. You grow to respect them for their staunch support of their various beliefs.) This book is a must read for anyone who has ever wanted the things they fight against in their own ...more
Marie
Jul 17, 2015 Marie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
So it turns out that this is just a bunch of liberal bullshit. Killing babies is okay, religion is evil, religious people are stupid/evil/bigoted/deserve to die, blah blah blah.

This shit is nothing more than fancy toilet paper. Being critical of religion is just not edgy or brave. Most of the people being critical of religion are just utter assholes who would be branded bigots if they were half as critical of Islam or any other religion besides Christianity.

Just to remind you: Planned Parenthood
Yaniv
Aug 29, 2015 Yaniv rated it it was ok
Lacie Carmody
Jul 30, 2015 Lacie Carmody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read almost everything else that Kultgen has written and after the strife he stirred up with the marketing campaign with this novel there was no way I was going to skip it. Kultgen remains highly readable and enjoyable and I love the questions he poses with his prose. This book pulls no punches and is that much more enjoyable for it. I recommend this one to those who enjoy satire, or enjoy the occasional truthful, albeit cynical view of American society.
Kaly Harward
Aug 12, 2015 Kaly Harward rated it really liked it
A different tone than the other Kultgen books I have really enjoyed, but equally well written. I was amazed at how hatable both protagonists were despite representing completely polar views. Perhaps the point is that all extremists are truly just self centered and use their cause to make themselves feel important.

I also loved the jab at UCLA, Fight On Chad.
Redkon Wole
Jul 20, 2016 Redkon Wole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made me laugh, it made me cry, it even made me "oh no.she did-ent!! *rolls neck*" and "bitch, is you crazy?!" a few times. all in all I love it and would highly recommend it to any one going through social media anxiety syndrome withdrawals.
Bjornv
Apr 26, 2016 Bjornv rated it it was amazing
Say what you want about the politics of this book, but one can't deny this book is a unique and ambitious beast.
Oscar
Oscar rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it did not like it
Mar 08, 2016
Scott Finlayson
Scott Finlayson rated it liked it
Jul 28, 2015
Megan
Megan rated it it was amazing
Nov 15, 2016
Patrick Murphy
Patrick Murphy rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2016
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Jan 10, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Emmett
Emmett rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2015
Dylan Nelson-sease
Dylan Nelson-sease rated it it was ok
Jan 09, 2016
Neurokarma
Neurokarma rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2016
Susan
Susan rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2015
  • Map of Dreams
  • Book by Book: Notes on Reading and Life
  • Dark Water
  • Midnight Cowboy
  • The Graduation (Final Friends #3)
  • The House You Pass on the Way
  • Animal Husbandry
  • By the Numbers
  • In Country
  • Between the Land and the Sea (Marina's Tales, #1)
  • Pooh and the Philosophers: In Which It Is Shown That All of Western Philosophy Is Merely a Preamble to Winnie-the-Pooh
  • So We Read On: How The Great Gatsby Came to Be and Why It Endures
  • A Working Stiff's Manifesto: A Memoir of Thirty Jobs I Quit, Nine That Fired Me, and Three I Can't Remember
  • Chewing the Page: The Mourning Goats Interviews
After two months in his birthplace Spokane, WA Chad Kultgen spent the majority of his life in a suburb of Dallas, TX called Lewisville. After high school, he turned down a full ride baseball scholarship to Trinity University in San Antonio, TX to pursue writing. He moved to Los Angeles, CA where he joined the likes of George Lucas, Robert Zemekis, and Ron Howard as a graduate of the prestigious ...more
More about Chad Kultgen...