Start by marking “The Great Political Theories, Vol. 1: A Comprehensive Selection of the Crucial Ideas in Political Philosophy from the Greeks to the Enlightenment” as Want to Read:

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  142 ratings  ·  14 reviews

The philosophy of politics

As an introduction to political theory and science, this collection of writings by the great philosophers will be of close interest to general readers. It also forms a basic textbook for students of government and political theory. Such fundamental concepts as Democracy, the Rule of Law, Justice, Natural Rights, Sovereignty, Citizenship, Power, th

Published March 11th 2008 by Harper Perennial Modern Classics (first published 1961)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Political Theories, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Political Theories, Vol. 1

Michael Gerald Dealino
I read this book as required reading for one of my major Political Science Courses, Political Theory, in DLSU. I was much interested in political philosophy and expected to learn a lot about the evolution of theoretical discourse of politics. Though the book introduced me to thinkers and concepts I was only briefly aware of at that time, I think the book could have been more effective if only the author made a more thorough analysis and explanation of some of Political Science's ideas and values ...more
Stephen
This book gives the reader much to absorb. "The Great Political Theories" touches on nearly every school of political thought, starting in ancient Greece and ending with the French Philosophes. Having these theories presented in chronological order helps to form a picture of how various governments developed throughout the ages.

There were a few philosophers I especially enjoyed. To me, the highlights included Sophocles, Plato, Cicero, Polybius, Marcus Aurelius, Machiavelli, John of Salisbury, an
Jotam Magracia
Cold philosophy wont chill me.
Jami
This is a great book in terms of providing an entryway into the great political thinkers from the Greeks to the Enlightenment. As a Political Science undergraduate student, I enjoy being able to revive my studies, revisit people I need to study more, and I just found Francois Hotman and his francogallia. The idea of the "Old Constitutional Form" pg 272 is finding its relevancy again today.
Alberto Neto
Good introduction to political theory. As an engineer, it is interesting to see how people think outside the science field. It took me a while to go over the book as the extracts from the original books are sometimes hard to read~ Nevertheless, the author provides a quick briefing on the theory for each part which makes it easy to understand and enjoy. Looking forward to reading volume 2
Corey
I nursed this book along for a really long time. of course that's the nice thing about something like this where you can pick it up in between other things. I'm a big fan of encouraging people to read original works not just someone else's opinion on what was written. This is a nice way to see the evolution of political thought and to get introduced to the original works.
Fran
Note to self: Main reference for Soc Sci 2: Social, Economic and Political Thought under Prof. Raymond Quilop, First Semester 1995-96, GE course from the College of Social Sciences and Philosophy, University of the Philippines-Diliman.

Ron
A good collection of original writings in political philosophy from Plato through Montesquieu following the development of fundamental concepts of western political science.
Lorenz
I really learned a lot from this book.All the big names contained in this book, Aristotle, Plato, Hobbes,Locke,etc. are very interesting to read..
Johnson
it makes me think more about the social structure when the theories where written
Rebecca
Another of my favorite political theory books.
Joy Lee
A book we were assigned to read 2 years ago.
Nikolaus Buenconsejo
Jul 18, 2007 Nikolaus Buenconsejo rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everybody
Shelves: nikopogi

the best political philosophy
Thananya
Thananya marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Lili Sy
Lili Sy marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
AJ Fatima
AJ Fatima marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Aleigha Henn
Aleigha Henn is currently reading it
Jan 22, 2015
7kram
7kram added it
Jan 21, 2015
Lutger
Lutger marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Superbookworm
Superbookworm marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Tom Schneitter
Tom Schneitter marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Chris
Chris added it
Jan 16, 2015
Periscopic
Periscopic marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Daniel Afloarei
Daniel Afloarei marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Kamil
Kamil marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
  • Selected Writings
  • Marriable: Taking the Desperate Out of Dating
  • The Second Bill of Rights: FDR's Unfinished Revolution--And Why We Need It More Than Ever
  • Global Business Today
  • Forbidden Fruit
  • Media Virus!: Hidden Agendas in Popular Culture
  • The Strategy of Conflict
  • America: A Narrative History, Volume 2
  • Rebel Code: Linux And The Open Source Revolution
  • The Mentor Book of Major American Poets
  • The Libertarian Reader: Classic and Contemporary Writings from Lao Tzu to Milton Friedman
  • Beyond the White House: Waging Peace, Fighting Disease, Building Hope
  • The Law of Peoples with The Idea of Public Reason Revisited
  • Katie.com: My Story
  • Markets Not Capitalism: Individualist Anarchism Against Bosses, Inequality, Corporate Power, and Structural Poverty
  • Basic Writings of Existentialism
  • The Western Way of War: Infantry Battle in Classical Greece
  • An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations, Vol 1
The Great Political Theories, Volume 2 The Dungeon Alphabet Verdict On Vichy: Power and Prejudice in the Vichy France Regime How To Grow Your First Potato Garden How To Grow Your Own Herbs At Home