Start by marking “By Trolley Past Thimbledon Bridge” as Want to Read:

Winner of:
2015 Parents' Choice Award, Picture Book

This picture book takes children of all ages on a trolley-ride dream adventure

Published May 1st 2015 by Alazar Press

To ask other readers questions about By Trolley Past Thimbledon Bridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By Trolley Past Thimbledon Bridge

Jason
Jun 17, 2015 Jason rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations are gorgeous, no doubt, but this is no children's book. I don't see where it has child appeal in any tangible way. This would have been better off being marketed as an art book, in my opinion.
Jillian
Jun 23, 2015 Jillian rated it liked it
First thing's first - the artwork is astounding. Breathtaking. You could sit and look at it for hours.
And the text is sweet - it's very whimsical, with a good flow. It doesn't mean anything, but it doesn't really have to. It just needs to exist in its little dreamlike world and be beautiful.

But I don't like the book.

The only drawback I can actually put my finger on is that it can't be used for storytimes - it's much more of a one-on-one book than a crowd around and look at the pictures while I
Ed
Jun 29, 2015 Ed rated it it was amazing
I love this book a lot!!! I know it isn't everyone's style, and it is not your average children's bedtime story, but it is beautiful. I have to admit, Rain Makes Applesauce is one of my all-time favorite books, so it is not surprising that I love this book as well. It is very reminiscent of Applesauce, and the drawings are every bit as beautiful. Definitely one of my votes for the Caldecott, although I'm not sure how much support it will get.
Holly
Apr 01, 2016 Holly rated it really liked it
Once upon a time, artist Marvin Bileck was asked to illustrate a children’s book written by the esteemed Virginia Woolf. While that collaboration was never completed, Bileck so loved what he had started that he instead began working with writer (and friend) Ashley Bryan to breathe a different kind of life into his initial drawings. The result comes to us as "By Trolley Past Thimbledon Bridge," a picture book that is sure to delight children and adults alike. Don’t look for a coherent story here. ...more
Siskiyou-Suzy
I like the aesthetic. It's got Milk-Eyed Mender written all over it. And the words are generally fairly sweet.

But why oh why oh why are these pages so, so, so faint. Tangling the words within the drawing, with the same faint, faint pencil (or whatever's going on there) was such a bad idea. It's a strain to read. It's just a strain, a struggle, to read. And I know the text is at the beginning, but come on. That's not the same at all. The illustrations and the matching text should be paired and it
Christine Turner
Jan 11, 2016 Christine Turner is currently reading it
Shelves: imagination-play
Winner of:
2015 Parents' Choice Award, Picture Book

This picture book takes children of all ages on a trolley-ride dream adventure
Featuring the extraordinary illustrations of Caldecott Honoree, Marvin Bileck, this book is a dream caught on paper with the sense of magic and wonder and unfettered imagination of a child. As sleep starts the journey into the blue, marvelous threads unravel dreamy images out of the blue revealing animals, far-off places, a circus, games, toys, wind, rain, a touch of t
Samantha
A project decades in the making, this book gives the overall impression of pure imagination. The pastel-colored pencil sketches incorporate the text into the artwork giving the piece a tapestry feel for me. The rhyming text appears on a two page spread near the middle of the book so that the rest of book reads as nearly wordless.

I appreciated the inclusion of the story behind the story feature, it really helped me recognize the full journey this story underwent to make it to publication.

PreK-2.
Amanda
Jun 29, 2015 Amanda rated it did not like it
NO. Just no.

Was so looking forward to this one--Rain Makes Applesauce is my favorite picture book, but THIS book is one hot mess. I don't even know where to begin.

I tried to read it but ended up just flipping through the pages in frustration. What in the WORLD? There are some creeeeeeepy pictures (hello? dead lady with evil cat on lap who probably offed her? what's up with that!?), the text is ALL OVER the place, and no discernible storyline.

Kim Bell
I cannot think of anyone I could/would recommend this book to. While the illustrations are artistic and the writing is poetic, there is an odd dissonance. They are not the type of illustrations that today's children enjoy, and honestly, many of the illustrations are scary-looking. I feel the same about the writing - beautiful writing, but not child appropriate. The author/illustrator pair, though talented, doesn't seem to know their audience.
Michael Fitzgerald
Jan 31, 2016 Michael Fitzgerald rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The fact that this isn't the Caldecott winner speaks volumes. It is so very unusual and beautiful. I was fascinated to learn of how this book took decades to come into being (particularly since so many other half-baked picture books are nonetheless shoved into the marketplace). Probably someone should have clarified that Marvin Bileck was known to his friends as Buddy. It's slightly confusing when reading the notes.
Maggi Rohde
Oct 17, 2015 Maggi Rohde rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, poetry, 2015
This is a fascinating set of illustrations. I think I might need more time to mull over it and appreciate it, and to read about the history behind it. Knowing it began its life as the illustrations for a Virginia Woolf children's book makes it more interesting.
Leaflet
Jun 28, 2016 Leaflet rated it did not like it
This book left me completely cold. There's some charm and whimsy to the nonsense verse, but the illustrations didn't do a thing for me - very faint, messy, and incomprehensible. And to think the illustrator worked on them for ten years. Oh, dear.
Jessica
Oct 05, 2015 Jessica rated it it was ok
The art is whimsical, but the text is sometimes unintelligible. Is it meant to be poetry. I'm not sure who I'd recommend this to.
Pat
Oct 26, 2015 Pat rated it did not like it
Shelves: childrens
Unintelligible. "The Story Behind the Story" precedes the narrative to build high but woefully unfulfilled expectations of Virginia Woolf's only work written for children.
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2015
Emma
Emma rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2015
Jenni
Jenni rated it it was ok
Jul 23, 2015
Jmgrey
Jmgrey rated it did not like it
Sep 26, 2015
Gabby
Gabby rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2015
Katie Reineke
Katie Reineke rated it it was amazing
Apr 30, 2015
Gail
Gail rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2015
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2015
Kathleen Bergen
Kathleen Bergen rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2015
Christopher
Christopher rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2015
Jeri
Jeri rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2015
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
May 13, 2015
Amy rated it it was ok
Mar 12, 2016
Robynn
Nov 23, 2015 Robynn rated it liked it
(Mock Caldecott September Read) While I enjoyed it I found it a challenge to read.
Debby Baumgartner
Jan 21, 2016 Debby Baumgartner rated it it was ok
Shelves: dreams, poetry, trolley
A dream of a trolley ride to Thimbledon Land in poetry form.
Ashley Bryan is an illustrator, children's author, and poet.
More about Ashley Bryan...