Start by marking “Copra: Round One (Copra, #1)” as Want to Read:
Copra: Round One (Copra, #1)

Copra: Round One (Copra #1-6)

Collects #1-6.
Published September 2014 by Bergen Street Press

To ask other readers questions about Copra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Copra

Andrew
Jul 13, 2016 Andrew rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superheroes
Fiffe applies an anarchic, anything-can-happen indie comix sensibility to this tribute to 1980's Big Two comics. I've never read the Ostrander/Yale Suicide Squad run that this most closely references, but I've read enough Claremont, Miller, and Simonson (Walter and Louise) to dig the general angst-ridden vibe. Fiffe is soley responsible for every aspect of Copra's art, writing, and design. He brings a sense of endless enthusiasm and creativity to the project, and you can witness him getting bold ...more
Steven K
Sep 08, 2016 Steven K rated it really liked it
Well, I thoroughly enjoyed that. This straight up feels like an indie version of Suicide Squad with some pretty gorgeous pencil colouring.

My only problem with Copra was with the first three issues. The panelling during the action scenes was weak, It was hard to decipher what was going on exactly. Character development was also weak in the early issues, It's not til Issue 4 and onwards when you'll start falling in love with some of these characters. They also dumped the reader into a pretty big
Smoothw
Jan 13, 2015 Smoothw rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
A super fun pastiche of the late 80s/early 90s version of Suicide Squad, which was one of those runs that people really into comics have quite a fondness for. This is not the first time a cartoonist previously known for non genre work reveals their inner geek, but that Michel Fiffe actually sat down and cranked out such a beautiful almost monthly comic book, and gained kind of cult following while distributing it basically by himself, is kind of a marvel. So yeah the story is pretty simple, but ...more
Joseph
Jun 15, 2015 Joseph rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Did you ever have a f*cked up dream, and you KNEW you were having a f*cked up dream, and you wanted to wake up, because you didn't want to see what other crazy-ass sh*t your subconscious had cooked up for you...but at the same time you also TOTALLY wanted see that crazy-ass sh*t?
Well, that's what turning the pages of Copra is like.
Each panel looks like a portfolio piece by the guy who won "Most Artistic" as a high school senior. Pen and ink. Colored pencils.
I guarantee you have never seen anyth
Charles Hatfield
Aug 07, 2015 Charles Hatfield rated it liked it
I enjoyed this for its quirkiness and nonstop graphic inventiveness. Paraphrasing the plot would tell you nothing important about the book, and the characters are simply familiar types. The buzz of reading doesn't last. But I sure enjoy looking at it. A love letter to 1980s comics?
Derek Parker
Feb 15, 2015 Derek Parker rated it liked it
Many have been raving about this title, and although it hasn't resonated with me as it has others, I did enjoy this and am intrigued enough to read on. I'm trusting Fiffe to develop this in impressive ways. Looking forward to Round a Two (since I don't get individual issues).
Ian
Apr 15, 2015 Ian rated it it was amazing
Gorgeously drawn hardboiled super-powered revenge story. Definitely one of the best ongoing super-hero books on the market.
Andy
Nov 29, 2014 Andy rated it it was amazing
Incredible stuff - ultra-high energy, incredible art, highly imaginative storytelling. Go buy it.
Nov 08, 2016 Laura rated it liked it
Fiffe is a talented writer and artist. I get the comparisons to Suicide Squad, the ragtag bunch of kinda baddies lumped together as an under-the-radar government department to fight big baddies.

However, when I was reading it, I was reminded more of Civil War comics. Starting with a big tragedy (lots of civilians killed) due to the interference of people with superpowers resulting in an upheaval of reactions (leaving the reader trying to figure out what's going on) until the story comes together
M.i.
Sep 19, 2016 M.i. rated it liked it
The inevitable comparisons with the suicide squad is glaring but the quirky art and excellent dialogue makes this distinct.
Ethan
Oct 18, 2016 Ethan rated it it was amazing
Copra is Michel Fiffe's take on Suicide Squad, specifically the John Ostrander run from the late 80's. Completely self-published. Fiffe's wrote drew, colored, inked etc... the whole book and it is completely the vision of one person. The story is pretty good but the real reason to check out Copra is Fiffe's art, which is colorful, expressive, and totally unique. His character design is great, from clearly homage characters to totally original ones composed solely of geometric shapes or a brain ...more
Eric England
Aug 05, 2015 Eric England rated it liked it
Copra: Round One by Michael Fiffe is an awesome burst of creativity in graphic novel form. Michael Fiffe self-publishes this series and does everything (write, pencil, ink, color, and letter) himself. This ability to tell a complete story using every element of his artistic expertise sets this series apart from other superhero stories. Fiffe's work can stumble. The dialogue in Copra is often clunky and the art, while striking, sometimes becomes muddled and incoherent. The characters and the plot ...more
Nuno Gil Franco
Mar 16, 2015 Nuno Gil Franco rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
This has quite some interesting and redeeming qualities going for it. First of all, it's the Suicide Squad. The name on the cover might be Copra, but it's like Ostrander is back writing the book and just decided for a name change, because it's a new era and it's kewl! Second of all, the art. I had never seen Fiffe's art before but it's rough and it's GREAT! It really suits the book and the storytelling and the everything is really nicely done. Story-wise, it's pretty simple: some bad guy did ...more
Anthony
May 17, 2015 Anthony rated it really liked it

Interesting. It starts as a sort-of homage to the Suicide Squad, but not really. Fiffe has created original characters based on tropes that can be found across both of the big comic houses. The book itself reminds me a bit of Superfolks by Mayer or BratPack by Veitch. It's not that the comic is cynical or dirty, it's just realistic in its portrayal of the characters. I'm looking for Round Two.
D.J.
Mar 18, 2015 D.J. rated it it was amazing
Glorious! This book is unbridled comic book passion and joy. The fact that Fiffe does just almost everything on the book (I think he might even grows the trees to make the paper) is beyond impressive. It's just plain fun that brings me back to when I first started reading comics and wish that I could draw... and letter... and self-publish-- seriously, I don't know how he does it, but I'm glad he does.
Stephen Kelley
Sep 01, 2016 Stephen Kelley rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-star, comics
This comic has absolutely gorgeous artwork. The art style might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I'd read this comic simply to see the panels TBH. The story was a tad slow-going at first, but built to an awesome third act that off-set any quibbles I might have had. Yeah, it's very Suicide Squad-esque, but honestly it's the best suicide Squad book I've ever read and it's not even from DC!
John
Oct 14, 2016 John rated it it was amazing
A glittering homage to DC's original "Suicide Squad," with manques for Shade the Changing Man and Marvel's Dr. Strange and Clea thrown in for fun, Copra is a love note to everyone who grew up reading 80s comics.
Alex Firer
Nov 08, 2014 Alex Firer rated it really liked it
3 stars for story and 412 stars for art. This is it. This is the best drawn superhero comic. Sorry earlier holder of that title... that issue of the Big Boy hamburger comic that Steve Ditko drew!!!! Big Boy is my favorite superhero.
Robert Boyd
Aug 07, 2015 Robert Boyd rated it did not like it
I don't understand what people love about this. Multi-page fight scenes, and I couldn't bring myself to care who wins.
Jesse
Apr 18, 2015 Jesse rated it really liked it
Decent minimal plot brought to greatness by fantastic art - a mix of avant garde comic art and sidewalk chalk graffiti. The shot in the arm superhero comics so desperately needs right now!
James Harris
Sep 03, 2015 James Harris rated it it was ok
Gorgeous, gorgeous art. The story is packed with Mad Things Happening but not much Reason to Care. Lovely art though.
Mike
Sep 25, 2015 Mike rated it it was ok
Really cool art. Very different from what you'll see in any other comic. But what the heck is going on? I couldn't keep track of who was who or what was going on.
Matt
Feb 16, 2016 Matt rated it it was amazing
you ever read a book and instantly feel invigorated, like all the potential that the 9-5 sucks out of you instantly comes back. Well for me that book was Copra!
Ash
Ash rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2015
Mickey Petersen
Mickey Petersen rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2015
N.
N. rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2015
Garrett
Garrett rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2016
Andrew Nolan
Andrew Nolan rated it it was ok
May 09, 2016
Steve Robertson
Steve Robertson rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2016
Jacob Blair
Jacob Blair rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Zenith: Phase Two
  • Love and Rockets: New Stories #2
  • Thor the Mighty Avenger
  • I Shall Destroy All the Civilized Planets! (The Complete Works of Fletcher Hanks, #1)
  • Warlock: The Complete Collection
  • Bandette, Volume 2: Stealers Keepers!
  • The Incal: The Epic Conspiracy (The Incal, #1-3)
  • Casanova, Volume 3: Avaritia
  • Fantastic Four: Omnibus, Volume 2
  • Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus, Volume One
  • Marshal Law: The Deluxe Edition
  • Prison Pit, Vol. 1
  • Dragon Ball Z, Vol. 4 (VIZBIG Edition)
  • Superman/Batman: World's Finest
Michel Fiffe is the creator of the monthly action series Copra as well as the one-man anthology Zegas, both of which he produces and self publishes under Copra Press, est. 2011. On top of making comics, Fiffe has also conducted in-depth creator interviews for several institutions including The Comics Journal
More about Michel Fiffe...

Copra (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Copra: Round Two