Start by marking “A Prairie Home Companion: English Majors” as Want to Read:
A Prairie Home Companion: English Majors

A Prairie Home Companion: English Majors

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Skits and bits from "A Prairie Home Companion" celebrate the secret society of men and women who possess excellent spelling and punctuation skills.
ENGLISH MAJORS. You know who you are and here is a double-CD celebrating the secret society of those who, though they may be chauffeuring kids to swim lessons or writing Unix programs or frying cheeseburgers, still could, if n
Audio CD, 1 page
Published March 1st 2008 by HighBridge Company

To ask other readers questions about A Prairie Home Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Prairie Home Companion

Elizabeth
If it were possible, I would probably give this about three and a half stars, which is a bit on the low side considering the high esteem in which I hold Keillor. The fact of the matter is that the individual tracks on this CD collection vary quite a bit in terms of content and style, and while some were hilarious, such as the humorous anecdotes and literary parodies, other parts were baffling or just plain depressing.

I recently majored in English, and I can certainly relate to most of his Engli
Cathleen
I was disappointed that several of the bits had only a tenuous link to language or literature, seemingly included only to make the collection a marketable length. Still, there are gems. The opening sketch with Keillor and Dave Barry is highly entertaining, and the Shakespeare bits are among the strongest -- at least in the opinion of this English major.
Mayda
This audio book is a mixture of some really funny skits and some others that leave me wondering how they made the cut. But still, it’s Garrison Keillor, so how can you not want to listen to it? Just don’t expect Keillor at his best, because this isn’t it. A great topic for comedy, this rendition of English Majors gets a B-minus.
David
Jul 11, 2013 David rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
In typical, self-deprecating style, Garrison Keillor makes fun of my chosen major and profession. You don't have to be an English Major to laugh at this, but it helps. Some of the humor is pretty exclusive to understanding texts, criticism and, well, English-majorism, but the majority of this is just good humor.
Maggie
Too funny! As a prospective English major, I found this all very light and interesting :)
Chuck
Feb 06, 2014 Chuck rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: humor
Enjoyable and quick. No heavy lifting. Just what I needed.
Nita
I laughed out loud.
Danielle
A very minor investment of time, so I can't feel too cheated, but I was expecting more laughs. This collection of vignettes from A Prairie Home Companion touted itself as being for the highly literate fast food worker (i.e., English majors). There were funny parts, but not enough. Some of it was pretty dumb. Also, Roy Blount Jr. had a track, and since I reserve a special ire for him, Keillor and crew should consider themselves lucky that I listened at all.
Jillian
This collection didn't live up to its full potential, but it was still very entertaining. Keillor's Guy Noir and Lake Wobegon were amusing as always. I've definitely heard better abridged Shakespeare routines, but Mister Rogers as Macbeth was real genius. My favorite pieces were "The Lanyard" and "Family Man," which admittedly didn't have much to do with English. Not a bad way to pass 2 hours though, and I do love when a man knows how to wield "whom."
Kynan
Very funny collection of skits from Keillor's Prarie Home radio shows. Highlights include The Lanyard, Six-Minute Hamlet, The Scarlet Letter, For Whom and English Majors. These include Keillors friends Dave Barry, Billy Collins, Calvin Trillin and Meryl Streep. Worth the listening time.
Patricia
Lots of fun to listen to with your sweetie while knitting (me) and leathercraft ( him) on a dark, rainy, cold. January Sunday afternoon in NW PA My favorite story was the last. Helen Marie was a cousing I think I knew. The Scarlett Letter was also a hoot.
Kiri
This is a treat. Highlights for me: the 6-minute Hamlet. Billy Collins doing ANYTHING.

Additional highlights from disc 2: Kerouac. Calvin Trillin. Garrison doing a Lake Wobegon piece.

This was a quick listen, and entirely enjoyable.
Don Weidinger
the front lines of sensibility, know disillusionment as voted for democrats, humor and dumbness, do chickens have boogers, dogs in poetry cats in prose, who and whom.
Daniel Currie
Not the best collection I've heard from APHC. There is some funny stuff, of course, but a bit too many not-so-funny tracks included, in my opinion.
Rachel Craig
I wanted to finish this book, but the audiobook version of this from the library WOULD NOT stop skipping. This was rather disappointing :(
Bonnie
I enjoyed this a great deal. Garrison Keillor is a favorite of mine.
The Lanyard was my favorite piece.
Lowell
My favorite humorist and each tale from Lake Wobegon is fun and causes me to laugh. Give me more.
Tracy
PHC should only be taken in small doses.
Ken
comic relief for the highly literate
Niki
Hilarious. Great for car trips.
Suz
This was great...
Shellii Huff
Shellii Huff marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Meg
Meg marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Katie
Katie added it
Oct 30, 2014
Ross
Ross marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Max
Max added it
Sep 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
2014
Garrison Keillor (born Gary Edward Keillor on August 7, 1942 in Anoka, Minnesota) is an American author, storyteller, humorist, columnist, musician, satirist, and radio personality. He is known as host of the Minnesota Public Radio show "A Prairie Home Companion".

Keillor was born in Anoka, Minnesota, the son of Grace Ruth (née Denham) and John Philip Keillor, who was a carpenter and postal worker.
More about Garrison Keillor...
Good Poems Lake Wobegon Days Good Poems for Hard Times Pontoon: A Novel of Lake Wobegon Lake Wobegon Summer, 1956