Start by marking “Fort comme la mort” as Want to Read:
Fort comme la mort

Read Book

Fort comme la mort

Un autre Maupassant que celui des contes normands et de La Maison Tellier. Un Maupassant qui, à travers l'histoire du peintre Olivier Bertin, projette son obsession du déclin, tente de se libérer de l'angoisse qui saisit tout créateur lorsque s'approche l'heure du bilan. Histoire d'un homme qui cherche à retrouver dans la fille de sa maîtresse sa jeunesse perdue, Fort comm ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published March 14th 1983 by Gallimard (first published 1888)

To ask other readers questions about Fort comme la mort, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fort comme la mort

Isabelle
Jun 05, 2010 Isabelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french
Reading Maupassant is always a treat.
I cannot think of any writer whose style is quite as impeccable, whose understanding of and compassion for human nature are deeper.
This is one of his lesser known novels, one that takes place in the Parisian "High Society" of the time, a social group he usually shows little affection for. However, under his pen, adultery turns into a life-long passion with beautiful qualities of endurance, loyalty, commitment, honesty and compassion.
As usual, Maupassant force
Kaloyana
Feb 09, 2014 Kaloyana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Голям кеф е да четеш Мопасан. В книгата се разказва за един художник, неговата дългогодишна любовница и за това как той се влюбва в дъщеря ѝ на една по-деликатна възраст. Оттам нататък всичко се случва в душите им, в кръвта им. Мопасан както винаги успява много изкусно да предаде чувствата, които бушуват, тресат, раздират и погубват. Нещо, което е доста трудно постижимо за доста писатели.
Страшен финес има в писането му, непрекъснато се чудя как намира точните думи, метафори, изрази. Описва неоп
Yani
Feb 16, 2014 Yani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Había empezado a leerlo creyendo que iba a ser una novela naturalista más, de esas a las que estoy tan acostumbrada, que pocas veces me sorprenden. Mientras avanzaba con la lectura, me di cuenta de que Fuerte como la muerte no es del montón y, además, de que Maupassant siempre demuestra por qué es uno de mis autores preferidos.

La novela cuenta la historia de Olivier Bertin, un pintor de París que se enamora de una mujer durante las sesiones en las que debía retratarla. A pesar de que Annette e
Lisa
Dec 20, 2016 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like Death (Fort comme la Mort), the fifth novel of Guy de Maupassant, renowned for his huge oeuvre of short stories, is the reason why I retrieved John D. Lyons’ French Literature, a Very Short Introduction from my TBR. Having read my way all through Balzac’s La Comedie Humane and Zola’s Rougon-Macquart Cycle, and sampled a few other well-known classic French authors I belatedly thought it was about time I found something to put these works into context. But alas, Maupassant doesn’t rate a ment ...more
Nancy
Oct 24, 2016 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elegantly translated from the French by Richard Howard, Guy de Maupassant's novel Like Death is set in late 19th c Paris but probes the human heart in a timeless revelation of the foibles of love.

"Fixed ideas have the gnawing tenacity of incurable diseases. Once within a soul they devour it..."

Oliver Bertin, rich, famous, and the recipient of many honors, had earned early fame with his painting Cleopatra. Early success curtailed his talent. Now on the threshold of old age, having painted all the
Juan Carlos
Jan 12, 2017 Juan Carlos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Escribe Ford Madox Ford en su prólogo a su novela «The Good soldier» que su ambición al escribirla era hacer por la novela inglesa lo que «Fort comme la Mort» de Maupassant había hecho por la francesa. Esta afirmación tan contundente por parte del escritor de una de mis novelas favoritas me ha llevado a leer la novela de Maupassant, que además era la única que me faltaba por leer de este autor. La novela vuelve a retomar el tema del doble, esta vez con la idea de un pintor que ama a dos mujeres, ...more
GONZA
Dec 02, 2016 GONZA rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
Maupassant is, in my opinion, one of the best writer to depict the various faces of love and the despair that usually goes along with it. Olivier is not a character I would easily forget in his being so human and so stereotypical exactly like Anne and their story is not something special, still the book is almost unforgettable. The words used by Maupassant have the capacity to give beauty to something so trivial that's unbelievable. A must read.

Secondo me Maupassant é uno degli scrittori piú bra
Janez Hočevar
Un Maupassant peu connu et un peu différent de ce qu'on peut attendre de lui. Cette fois, Maupassant nous montre le mélange du monde parisien aristocratique et artistique, avec une excursion dans sa Normandie bien-aimée. Son analyse profonde et lucide de l'amour (je croyais lire Proust) a pour le résultat que l'amour est un sentitment aussi (sinon plus) fort comme la mort.
SergioMar
Un gran escritor puede permitirse alguna que otra obra menor. Las vicisitudes amorosas entre Olivier Bertin y Anne de Guilleroy llegan a tal nivel de edulcorada monotonía que ha desembocado irremediablemente a la pérdida de mi paciencia como lector. A pesar de sus sombras, el texto tiene también sus luces. Al fin y al cabo, es Maupassant:

“…también en el fondo de los viejos frascos de colonia había encontrado a menudo parcelas de su existencia; y todos los olores errantes, los de las calles, los
Francine Maessen
Aug 15, 2015 Francine Maessen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: realism
This book was incredible!

I've read some short stories by Guy the Maupassant which I really liked, but I was afraid that a novel might turn out a whole lot slower than those stories (we're talking 1889 here). Well, I was worried for nothing: this book is a real nice pageturner, great rythm.

Furthermore, the storyline itself was amazing! The characters were aimable, intelligent, human. I especially like how strong the female characters were. Ofcourse the book is about an affair, so about a relation
R. T.
Apr 01, 2014 R. T. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first, I didn't like the story - it seemed too boring and without clear purpose to me. But then, after a while, I realized that this was what Maupassant wanted - step by step gain the reader's attention. The plot is quite simple - a painter falls in love with a woman, then, like twenty years after that, he falls in love with her daughter, who looks just like her.

It's not the characters or the plot what grabs your attention; it's Maupassant's style, his way of describing human nature. When you
Carey
Feb 26, 2014 Carey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shelf
"They live, as he said, beside everything, but see nothing and study nothing; they are near science, of which they are ignorant; nature, at which they do not know how to look; outside of true happiness, for they are powerless to enjoy it; outside of the beauty of the world and the beauty of art, of which they chatter without having really discovered it, or even believing in it, for they are ignorant of the intoxication of tasting the joys of life and of intelligence. They are incapable of attach ...more
De'h
Jan 05, 2013 De'h rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As only Maupassant can describe, with the simplicity of his words and yet with their depth, he gave me tremors. I could feel inside of me the pain of getting old as Anne's thoughts were so inductive that sometimes i felt they were my own. A great view of the "getting old" period, the whole psychology and fear, the ability to see life pass you by and not being able to do anything about it..and the worst..losing love or finding a new one you cant cherish and enjoy.

It was a delight reading it. I t
Jean
Aug 14, 2008 Jean rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one that a friend recommended, but she read it in the original language, French. The only translation that I have seen is not great, but the story is unusual and a little disturbing. I really enjoyed the descriptions, both of the light and scenes of Paris, and of the life of an artist (Olivier, the main character) in the midst of elite society. Maupassant is very good at showing the practical deals and compromises that his characters make, so as to keep their jobs and social positions, w ...more
Gaston
Jan 26, 2013 Gaston rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Je n'ai pas été totalement convaincue par ce roman, bien qu'adorant Maupassant. J'ai souvent lu en diagonale, en particulier vers le milieu : trop de répétitions incessantes et un intrigue qui fait du surplace m'ont usée.
Il est indéniable que le style de Maupassant est irréprochable et l'on sent sourdre ses propres inquiètudes sur la vieillesse. Mais l'intrigue m'a souvent semblé un peu plate. La fin est émouvante mais la mise en scène est un peu "too much" à mon avis.
Une lecture qui m'a laissé
Lisbeth Salander
bir zamanlar potresini yaptığı kontesle yıllarca aşk yaşayan ve sonra da onun kızına aşık olan bir ressamın hikayesi.. kitabı bitirdikten sonra tepetaklak olmuş hissettim kendimi.. aşkı, aşk acısını,acıyı okurken insana öyle bir hissetiriyor ki iliklerime kadar hissettim.

yazarla ilk olarak lisedeyken edebiyat dersindeki okuma parçasıyla tanıştım :) demek ki okumak bugüne kısmetmiş..

kitabın anna karenina'dan, aşk-ı memnudan hiçbir eksiği yok.. onlardan daha sürükleyici...
Zekiye ŞEN
Oct 27, 2015 Zekiye ŞEN rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Guy de Maupassant'ın eşsiz eserlerinden bir tanesi. Ressam Bertin'in sevgilisinin kızına beslediği aşkı ve sevgilisinin yaşlanmaya direnişini anlatan güzel bir kitap. Romanı okurken çok meraklandım. Kendimi yeri geldi Bertin, yeri geldi Annette gibi hissettim. Akıcı, sürükleyici bir roman olmasının yanında okuyanların iştahını kabartacak cinsten. Okurken bir an önce bitirip sonunu öğrenmek istediğim bu kitabı okumanızı öneririm.
Chrichrilecture
Feb 12, 2016 Chrichrilecture rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-étoile
Ouf gratuit
Ouf gratuit Histoire lassante il ne se passe rien Cela ne m'étonne pas que cette histoire soit peux un des plus mauvais livres de Maupassant Quand je voit que des profs apprennent a leurs élèves se genre de livre cela ne me surprend pas que les jeunes n'est plus le gout a la lecture il ne mérite même pas 1 étoile
Jennell McHugh
Guy de Maupassant makes me want to learn french, but I give credit to him or his translators since the language used makes any story sound delicious and beautiful and kind of like a painting.

This story's characters were not much different from those in Bel Ami, but I still want to transcend time and see fashionable Paris through all its good and gritty during the early-mid 19th century.
Leggere A Colori
Maupassant descrive in maniera magistrale le emozioni dei personaggi, accostandole ai fenomeni della natura, senza tralasciare l'analisi, impietosa, della società parigina.

Continua a leggere su http://www.leggereacolori.com/letti-e...
Dominik
Feb 21, 2014 Dominik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I need to read more of Guy de Maupassant's works because they are amazing. This book was so beautiful and I liked it more than one of his most famous work "Bel Ami".
This book left me with so many emotions, I need to rethink everything I've just read.
Highly recommend! Such a beautiful love story!
Mar 04, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe not the best in terms of writing - but the idea behind the book is beautifully tragic. Didn't enjoy reading it much - but couldn't wait to know how the story will develop.
Đurđica Bolfek
Đurđica Bolfek rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2014
Svetlozara
Svetlozara rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2014
Teresa
Teresa rated it really liked it
Dec 06, 2016
Skaistė
Skaistė rated it it was ok
Feb 04, 2013
Agata
Agata rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2013
Sylvie
Sylvie rated it really liked it
Jan 30, 2015
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Mar 29, 2013
Margarita Lemuz
Margarita Lemuz rated it it was ok
Aug 06, 2014
  • The Devil In Love
  • Les Filles du feu - Les Chimères
  • The Joy of Life (Les Rougon-Macquart, #12)
  • Adieu
  • Graziella
  • The Essays of Montaigne - Volume 02
  • Le Mariage de Figaro
  • Prometheus Illbound (Le Prométhée mal enchaîné)
  • Antología poética
  • Los infortunios de la virtud
  • Count d'Orgel's Ball
  • Les Paradis artificiels
  • Repetition
  • Les Caprices de Marianne
  • The Street of Seven Stars
Henri René Albert Guy de Maupassant was a popular 19th-century French writer. He is one of the fathers of the modern short story. A protege of Flaubert, Maupassant's short stories are characterized by their economy of style and their efficient effortless dénouement. He also wrote six short novels. A number of his stories often denote the futility of war and the innocent civilians who get crushed i ...more
More about Guy de Maupassant...

“Le coeur peut s'émouvoir souvent à la rencontre d'un autre être,car chacun exerce sur chacun des attractions et des répulsions.Toutes ces influences font naître l'amitié,les caprices,des envies de possession,des ardeurs vives et passagères,mais non pas l'amour véritable.Pour qu'il existe cet amour,il faut que les deux êtres soient tellement nés l'un pour l'autre,se trouvent accrochés l'un à l'autre par tant de points,par tant de goûts pareils,par tant d'affinités de chair,de l'esprit,du caractère,se sentent liés par tant de choses de toute nature,que cela forme un faisceau d'attaches.” 7 likes