Fort Comme La Mort
read book

Fort Comme La Mort

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  217 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Un autre Maupassant que celui des contes normands et de La Maison Tellier. Un Maupassant qui, à travers l'histoire du peintre Olivier Bertin, projette son obsession du déclin, tente de se libérer de l'angoisse qui saisit tout créateur lorsque s'approche l'heure du bilan. Histoire d'un homme qui cherche à retrouver dans la fille de sa maîtresse sa jeunesse perdue, Fort comm...more
Mass Market Paperback, 352 pages
Published March 14th 1983 by Gallimard (first published 1889)

Isabelle
Reading Maupassant is always a treat.
I cannot think of any writer whose style is quite as impeccable, whose understanding of and compassion for human nature are deeper.
This is one of his lesser known novels, one that takes place in the Parisian "High Society" of the time, a social group he usually shows little affection for. However, under his pen, adultery turns into a life-long passion with beautiful qualities of endurance, loyalty, commitment, honesty and compassion.
As usual, Maupassant force...more
Kaloyana
Голям кеф е да четеш Мопасан. В книгата се разказва за един художник, неговата дългогодишна любовница и за това как той се влюбва в дъщеря ѝ на една по-деликатна възраст. Оттам нататък всичко се случва в душите им, в кръвта им. Мопасан както винаги успява много изкусно да предаде чувствата, които бушуват, тресат, раздират и погубват. Нещо, което е доста трудно постижимо за доста писатели.
Страшен финес има в писането му, непрекъснато се чудя как намира точните думи, метафори, изрази. Описва неоп...more
Yani. S
Había empezado a leerlo creyendo que iba a ser una novela naturalista más, de esas a las que estoy tan acostumbrada, que pocas veces me sorprenden. Mientras avanzaba con la lectura, me di cuenta de que Fuerte como la muerte no es del montón y, además, de que Maupassant siempre demuestra por qué es uno de mis autores preferidos.

La novela cuenta la historia de Olivier Bertin, un pintor de París que se enamora de una mujer durante las sesiones en las que debía retratarla. A pesar de que Annette e...more
Radoslav
At first, I didn't like the story - it seemed too boring and without clear purpose to me. But then, after a while, I realized that this was what Maupassant wanted - step by step gain the reader's attention. The plot is quite simple - a painter falls in love with a woman, then, like twenty years after that, he falls in love with her daughter, who looks just like her.

It's not the characters or the plot what grabs your attention; it's Maupassant's style, his way of describing human nature. When you...more
Maybe not the best in terms of writing - but the idea behind the book is beautifully tragic. Didn't enjoy reading it much - but couldn't wait to know how the story will develop.
Jean
This is one that a friend recommended, but she read it in the original language, French. The only translation that I have seen is not great, but the story is unusual and a little disturbing. I really enjoyed the descriptions, both of the light and scenes of Paris, and of the life of an artist (Olivier, the main character) in the midst of elite society. Maupassant is very good at showing the practical deals and compromises that his characters make, so as to keep their jobs and social positions, w...more
De'h
As only Maupassant can describe, with the simplicity of his words and yet with their depth, he gave me tremors. I could feel inside of me the pain of getting old as Anne's thoughts were so inductive that sometimes i felt they were my own. A great view of the "getting old" period, the whole psychology and fear, the ability to see life pass you by and not being able to do anything about it..and the worst..losing love or finding a new one you cant cherish and enjoy.

It was a delight reading it. I t...more
Carey
"They live, as he said, beside everything, but see nothing and study nothing; they are near science, of which they are ignorant; nature, at which they do not know how to look; outside of true happiness, for they are powerless to enjoy it; outside of the beauty of the world and the beauty of art, of which they chatter without having really discovered it, or even believing in it, for they are ignorant of the intoxication of tasting the joys of life and of intelligence. They are incapable of attach...more
Gaston
Je n'ai pas été totalement convaincue par ce roman, bien qu'adorant Maupassant. J'ai souvent lu en diagonale, en particulier vers le milieu : trop de répétitions incessantes et un intrigue qui fait du surplace m'ont usée.
Il est indéniable que le style de Maupassant est irréprochable et l'on sent sourdre ses propres inquiètudes sur la vieillesse. Mais l'intrigue m'a souvent semblé un peu plate. La fin est émouvante mais la mise en scène est un peu "too much" à mon avis.
Une lecture qui m'a laissé...more
Jennell McHugh
Guy de Maupassant makes me want to learn french, but I give credit to him or his translators since the language used makes any story sound delicious and beautiful and kind of like a painting.

This story's characters were not much different from those in Bel Ami, but I still want to transcend time and see fashionable Paris through all its good and gritty during the early-mid 19th century.
Dominik
I need to read more of Guy de Maupassant's works because they are amazing. This book was so beautiful and I liked it more than one of his most famous work "Bel Ami".
This book left me with so many emotions, I need to rethink everything I've just read.
Highly recommend! Such a beautiful love story!
Lisa
Jan 13, 2014 Lisa added it
Кажется, Ги де Мопассан не мой автор...
Gold Standard
Una trama atemporal en un contexto algo lejano al lector por suceder en el París del siglo XIX
Irka
love can win over the death....
Sham Chukoury
Sham Chukoury marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Luís
Luís marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
jean lice
jean lice marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
S. Naomi Scott
S. Naomi Scott marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Little Conchi's Tales
Little Conchi's Tales marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Brijesh Kartha
Brijesh Kartha marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Karolien
Karolien marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2014
  • The Devil In Love
  • The Joy of Life (Les Rougon-Macquart, #12)
  • The Country Doctor
  • Count d'Orgel's Ball
  • The Mustache
  • Aurélia
  • Artificial Paradises
  • Calligrammes: Poems of Peace and War (1913-1916)
  • Gargantua
  • Le Neveu de Rameau
  • The Gods Will Have Blood (Penguin Twentieth-Century Classics)
Henri René Albert Guy de Maupassant was a popular 19th-century French writer. He is one of the fathers of the modern short story. A protege of Flaubert, Maupassant's short stories are characterized by their economy of style and their efficient effortless dénouement. He also wrote six short novels. A number of his stories often denote the futility of war and the innocent civilians who get crushed i...more
More about Guy de Maupassant...
Bel-Ami The Necklace and Other Short Stories Une vie Le Horla et autres nouvelles fantastiques Boule de Suif (21 contes)

“Le coeur peut s'émouvoir souvent à la rencontre d'un autre être,car chacun exerce sur chacun des attractions et des répulsions.Toutes ces influences font naître l'amitié,les caprices,des envies de possession,des ardeurs vives et passagères,mais non pas l'amour véritable.Pour qu'il existe cet amour,il faut que les deux êtres soient tellement nés l'un pour l'autre,se trouvent accrochés l'un à l'autre par tant de points,par tant de goûts pareils,par tant d'affinités de chair,de l'esprit,du caractère,se sentent liés par tant de choses de toute nature,que cela forme un faisceau d'attaches.” 6 likes