Start by marking “Crescent” as Want to Read:
Crescent

Crescent

Darkness has inspired fear since mankind first watched the sun go down. Bad things hide in the dark feral beasts with mouths full of razors waiting for a taste of flesh. But now, the darkness is stirring with a life of its own. Crescent Station is the last bastion of civilization, floating in the cold, outer systems where colonized space gives way to the sparser settlement ...more
Published June 26th 2009 by Dragon Moon Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Crescent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crescent

Infected by Scott SiglerEarthcore by Scott SiglerThe Rookie by Scott SiglerNocturnal by Scott SiglerAncestor by Scott Sigler
Best Free Audiobooks
159 books — 492 voters
Blindsight by Peter WattsShip of Fools by Richard Paul RussoHyperion by Dan SimmonsHull Zero Three by Greg BearRevelation Space by Alastair Reynolds
Space horror
165 books — 160 voters

More lists with this book...

mark monday
Dec 11, 2010 mark monday rated it did not like it
Shelves: i-gave-up, futuristik
this child of Event Horizon and Outland was a severe disappointment. silly, nonsensical, zero characterization, and the worst sentient computer voice i've ever seen depicted in dialogue. i can read only so many descriptions of an old woman's sour body odor before realizing how all-inclusive the novel is when it comes to cliches. and i had such high hopes! a haunted space station is an ideal setting and it is irritating to see that setting squandered in trite set pieces and an excessive desire to ...more
Echo
Oct 23, 2009 Echo rated it liked it
Recommends it for: readers who want a fast paced scifi and a bit of a scare
Crescent is an enjoyable new mark on the world of sci-fi. I listened to Crescent read by Phil Rossi via podcast. It was fantastic. Phil has an excellent voice and commitment to excellence in production. The atmosphere was vivid and absorbing. The way Crescent was portrayed made it easy to see oneself there while at the same time, wishing you would never actually be there. I admit that there was some disturbing physically violent scenes, the most distressing involving sex, but they never lasted a ...more
Bruce
Apr 01, 2012 Bruce rated it it was amazing
I "read" this one in podcast form back in 2008. It was creepy. Made me think that if I had the chance to go off-world to a space station I might have to say no. And after all those years of believing that if I ever got the chance, I was out of here. Ok. that's not true, I'd still go in a second, but I'd be really, really scared. Thanks, Phil.
DDog
Jun 05, 2009 DDog rated it it was amazing
Recommended to DDog by: Tee
Finally got to finish this. I really enjoyed most of it, and quickly discovered I shouldn't eat while listening to it. The soundtrack and the music choices on the podcast version are great, as is the author's read with unique voices for each character. It's definitely a scary ride. I picked it up because Tee Morris recommended it as part Firefly, part Babylon 5, part Blade Runner--only darker--and I was not disappointed.

I'm rating it a five because everything else was just too awesome not to gi
Aug 24, 2010 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult-sci-fi
Oof. This was challenging to finish. Characterization was stiff, the plotline seemed interesting and then went off into left field - simplistic yet unexplained. We didn't care much about any character. We never quite understood what the monster was, why it was bad, etc. Slow. Lots of repetition. Cliche action. Kinda painful. Hoped for more.
Dustin Hertel
Sep 22, 2011 Dustin Hertel rated it it was ok
It wasn't too bad, but pretty slow in parts, and kinda lost my attention a few times. I like a book to keep me so engaged I don't want to put it down... but for this one I did several times, and LEFT it down for days on end, which just made it that much harder to get back into. It's not a BAD book by any extent, but could have used some cutting down at points.
Jesse
Dec 04, 2015 Jesse rated it really liked it
Crescent was a fun light sci-fi read, the plot was a little overreaching I thought at times but the main characters were interesting, good guys were mostly good, the bad guys very bad and everyone else something in the middle. To describe it shortly, it's a spaghetti western but in space with no cowboys. Was a fun read on the plane.
Aj
Jan 19, 2016 Aj rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book is frustrating because it has potential to be good but it fails on almost everything. The characters are bland, the pace is extremely slow and the gore/sex is totally unnecessary and feels awkward.
Tarl
Jul 17, 2013 Tarl rated it liked it
This was recommended to me from a number of people and online when I asked for some good science fiction horror that takes place in space. I decided to give it a go and see where it lead me, and where it lead me wasn't as good as I had expected.

The basic storyline for 'Crescent' is an interesting one, and one that will keep the reader turning the pages to figure out what exactly is happening on the station. The opening hook is an excellent one and easily dragged me in. You want to know about the
Frank
Dec 31, 2016 Frank rated it did not like it
Shelves: listened-to
"Crescent" attempts to marry science fiction and horror and fails on both fronts. The science fiction part involves characters that have little depth and puts them into situations that are straight from pulp and B movie westerns - a city at the edge of civilization; corrupt politicians; rampant prostitution; a saloon with drinking, smoking, and plenty of fighting; gun-running; outlaw bands; and the like. The formless horror is not terrifying. The book was hard to complete as it was slow and some ...more
Chibineko
Oct 28, 2010 Chibineko rated it really liked it
Having listened to Rossi's other podiobook Harvey, I will admit that I was a little disappointed that so much of the plot was similar. I tried thinking of it as a sequel (even though Crescent came out years before), which did seem to help it out some. There's a lot to like in this book, but I just have to say that while this book came in with a might roar, it left with more of a whimper.

Crescent takes place in the far reaches of space in a strange future. Space salvager Gerald makes the mistake
Angela
Mar 29, 2010 Angela rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, sf, ebooks
Phil Rossi's Crescent was a bit of an odd read for me. I started off with actually listening to the podcast version, but partway through decided to go ahead and switch over to reading the Kindle edition. So this is a bit of a hybrid review.

Salvage pilot Gerard Evans accepts a job working for the mayor of Crescent, a run-down station on the fringes of colonized space. Things start to go south very quickly, though, as he finds out that not only is the mayor up to his eyes in the shadiest of shady
Fairul Asannan
Jul 06, 2010 Fairul Asannan rated it liked it
Simon C
Mar 14, 2011 Simon C rated it liked it
Promised more than it really delivered but quite enjoyable anyway.

I thought the universe in which this was set was rather tired and generic and increasingly unlikely given the way that the Internet has developed. I quite liked the mix of genres but felt that there was a lot of build up and not a greatly satisfying climax. I think Rossi has a nice turn of phrase and the main character is a likeable cynic.
I enjoyed the twists and turns of the plot even if it was a little hard to follow at times
Raghdan fawakhiri
Aug 24, 2014 Raghdan fawakhiri rated it liked it
This novel is a blend of science fiction and horror, with some elements of political thriller and organized crime fiction.
It is well written, although there is no character development. The events and the mysteries keep the reader's interest kindled for most of the novel. Although it drags-on in some parts, where it slows down, or repeats previously emphasized reflections on the happenings.
I listened to the novel as a free podcast on iTunes, read by the author, who had a wonderful assortment of
Mai Ling
Oct 16, 2011 Mai Ling rated it it was ok
You know how when you're watching a scary movie and the idiots walk into some dilapidated house unvited and you're screaming, "What the heck are you doing? Get out of there!" I kept thinking that through this whole book, to like, every single inhabitant of this half-built, run-down and extremely haunted station. Seriously, people? I suppose it does make for a good read, though. Despite the type-os.
R. Alexander
Mar 29, 2011 R. Alexander rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf, horror
I always love the mixture of space and horror. There don't seem to be too many in that genre, and this is a good example of it.

The only knocks I have are that some of the characters are a bit two dimensional and seem to be there just to make you hate them. Now that may be a means to an end, but it would have been more interesting to have these characters seem more real than representing a particular archetype.
Dan
May 14, 2009 Dan rated it it was amazing
"Crescent was an enjoyable "read", keeping in mind that it is intended for a mature audience. It told a pacy and chilling tale of terror in deep space, carefully balancing horror with action. The characters were generally well-rounded and portrayed with a deft hand, and there are moments where the writing really shines."

Read the rest of my review here:

Daveski
Oct 03, 2015 Daveski rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle
The main story is decent, and I enjoyed the cosmic horror stuff a lot. I thought there were too many side-plots and unnecessary characters, though, and the novel felt too long to me. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood. If it were tightened up a bit, it would be a 4 or maybe even a 5 for me, but as it is I'd call it a 3.5.
D. Henbane
Apr 04, 2014 D. Henbane rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it thoroughly. A nice Sci-fi filled with deep characters and a great plot. If you are into space themed science fiction with a bit of American wild west type story you will love it. If I had to sum it up without giving anything away... I would say it is an amalgam of plots from Rango, The Fifth Element, and Doctor Who. Regardless, this one should be on your read list.
Chris Bowsman
Jul 30, 2009 Chris Bowsman rated it it was amazing
Phil Rossi's CRESCENT is a nod to classic science fiction, where the characters are gritty and interesting, and a nod to classic horror, where the emphasis is on scaring the hell out of the reader rather than grossing them out.

I've listened to two of Phil's other books (EDEN and HARVEY, not yet in print), and will honestly say he's my favorite horror writer.
Goran
Feb 23, 2009 Goran rated it liked it
Worth a read. The storytelling and writing are excellent. If you are into hardcore horror you are going to love this book. But I am not. I did not connect to the characters and for me it was just WAY too dark.

If you want to be scared/freaked out this book can do it.

Louise Mitchell
1/29/14 I'm 44% done with Crescent: I'm not sure I want to finish this one. The main characters don't seem to have any morally redeeming qualities and don't seem to be heading in that direction.

4/28/14 I gave up.
Nannika
Nov 05, 2015 Nannika rated it it was ok
Can't lie...this book, found on podiobooks.com was dreadful and drudgery galore. Not sure if it was the reader, but I'm just not into space thrillers. Maybe it's the claustrophobia...just wasn't that great a read for me.
Heather
May 25, 2010 Heather rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Violence, Horror, Mystery, Sci-Fi Lovers
This book is great! Highly suspenseful with very interesting characters that really draw you into the spooky world they live in. It takes place on an old space station and involves a big evil that will give you the shivers for sure!
Renee
Nice and trippy. A bit hard to follow towards the end but then again I am listening to it at work so my attention wasn't always undivided. I definitely appreciate the Epilogue thought, it's fun to see what characters are up to after their story has been told.
Mallory
While I'm usually a fan of the dark space mystery, I just couldn't get into this one. The characters just didn't pull me in, and the supernatural aspects that Rossi brought into the story kept me more confused than scared.
Shawn
May 06, 2013 Shawn rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
This was an okay novel. The story telling was good as was the characterization. But the story felt very episodic. Like this was a bunch of stories tied together. The build up never quite paid off. It wasn't a bad novel just wasn't a great one.
Michael Nguyen
Jun 08, 2011 Michael Nguyen rated it liked it
Characters are well written with some clear motivations. The book's tone as a sci fi horror starts off well enough, but the ending left me more confused than clear on what was going on. A decent read all things considered.
Kristin
Aug 23, 2012 Kristin rated it it was amazing
This was absolutely the most terrifying book I ever read (actually I listened to it). I haven't felt this way about a book since I read Phantoms by Dean Koontz when I was young. Thanks to Mr. Rossi for a fantastic scare!
  • 7th Son: Destruction (7th Son, #3)
  • The Crew (The Crypt #1)
  • Murder at Avedon Hill
  • Nina Kimberly the Merciless
  • Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era
  • South Coast (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper)
  • The Case of the Singing Sword
  • Hell
  • Singularity (The Archon Sequence #1)
  • The Immortals
Phil Rossi--writer, a musician, and an embracer of "new media"--has a passion for story-telling matched only by the pleasure he derives from keeping his fans awake at night. Crescent, Rossi's debut novel, was originally released as a podcast in 2007 and has since lured 20,000 listeners into a dark, twisted world of nightmares and things that go bump in the night. Phil Rossi's writing has been para ...more
More about Phil Rossi...