Start by marking “Crescent” as Want to Read:
Crescent

Crescent

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  748 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Darkness has inspired fear since mankind first watched the sun go down. Bad things hide in the dark feral beasts with mouths full of razors waiting for a taste of flesh. But now, the darkness is stirring with a life of its own. Crescent Station is the last bastion of civilization, floating in the cold, outer systems where colonized space gives way to the sparser settlement ...more
Published June 26th 2009 by Dragon Moon Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Crescent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crescent

Infected by Scott SiglerEarthcore by Scott SiglerThe Rookie by Scott SiglerNocturnal by Scott SiglerAncestor by Scott Sigler
Best Free Audiobooks
19th out of 158 books — 472 voters
Blindsight by Peter WattsShip of Fools by Richard Paul RussoHull Zero Three by Greg BearHyperion by Dan SimmonsDeath Troopers by Joe Schreiber
Space horror
11th out of 66 books — 96 voters

More lists with this book...

mark monday
this child of Event Horizon and Outland was a severe disappointment. silly, nonsensical, zero characterization, and the worst sentient computer voice i've ever seen depicted in dialogue. i can read only so many descriptions of an old woman's sour body odor before realizing how all-inclusive the novel is when it comes to cliches. and i had such high hopes! a haunted space station is an ideal setting and it is irritating to see that setting squandered in trite set pieces and an excessive desire to ...more
Echo
Dec 10, 2009 Echo rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: readers who want a fast paced scifi and a bit of a scare
Crescent is an enjoyable new mark on the world of sci-fi. I listened to Crescent read by Phil Rossi via podcast. It was fantastic. Phil has an excellent voice and commitment to excellence in production. The atmosphere was vivid and absorbing. The way Crescent was portrayed made it easy to see oneself there while at the same time, wishing you would never actually be there. I admit that there was some disturbing physically violent scenes, the most distressing involving sex, but they never lasted a ...more
Dustin Hertel
It wasn't too bad, but pretty slow in parts, and kinda lost my attention a few times. I like a book to keep me so engaged I don't want to put it down... but for this one I did several times, and LEFT it down for days on end, which just made it that much harder to get back into. It's not a BAD book by any extent, but could have used some cutting down at points.
Oof. This was challenging to finish. Characterization was stiff, the plotline seemed interesting and then went off into left field - simplistic yet unexplained. We didn't care much about any character. We never quite understood what the monster was, why it was bad, etc. Slow. Lots of repetition. Cliche action. Kinda painful. Hoped for more.
Raghdan fawakhiri
This novel is a blend of science fiction and horror, with some elements of political thriller and organized crime fiction.
It is well written, although there is no character development. The events and the mysteries keep the reader's interest kindled for most of the novel. Although it drags-on in some parts, where it slows down, or repeats previously emphasized reflections on the happenings.
I listened to the novel as a free podcast on iTunes, read by the author, who had a wonderful assortment of
Tarl
This was recommended to me from a number of people and online when I asked for some good science fiction horror that takes place in space. I decided to give it a go and see where it lead me, and where it lead me wasn't as good as I had expected.

The basic storyline for 'Crescent' is an interesting one, and one that will keep the reader turning the pages to figure out what exactly is happening on the station. The opening hook is an excellent one and easily dragged me in. You want to know about the
Chibineko
Having listened to Rossi's other podiobook Harvey, I will admit that I was a little disappointed that so much of the plot was similar. I tried thinking of it as a sequel (even though Crescent came out years before), which did seem to help it out some. There's a lot to like in this book, but I just have to say that while this book came in with a might roar, it left with more of a whimper.

Crescent takes place in the far reaches of space in a strange future. Space salvager Gerald makes the mistake
Angela
Phil Rossi's Crescent was a bit of an odd read for me. I started off with actually listening to the podcast version, but partway through decided to go ahead and switch over to reading the Kindle edition. So this is a bit of a hybrid review.

Salvage pilot Gerard Evans accepts a job working for the mayor of Crescent, a run-down station on the fringes of colonized space. Things start to go south very quickly, though, as he finds out that not only is the mayor up to his eyes in the shadiest of shady
Fairul Asannan
DDog
Jun 11, 2010 DDog rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to DDog by: Tee
Finally got to finish this. I really enjoyed most of it, and quickly discovered I shouldn't eat while listening to it. The soundtrack and the music choices on the podcast version are great, as is the author's read with unique voices for each character. It's definitely a scary ride. I picked it up because Tee Morris recommended it as part Firefly, part Babylon 5, part Blade Runner--only darker--and I was not disappointed.

I'm rating it a five because everything else was just too awesome not to gi
D. Henbane
I enjoyed it thoroughly. A nice Sci-fi filled with deep characters and a great plot. If you are into space themed science fiction with a bit of American wild west type story you will love it. If I had to sum it up without giving anything away... I would say it is an amalgam of plots from Rango, The Fifth Element, and Doctor Who. Regardless, this one should be on your read list.
Simon C
Promised more than it really delivered but quite enjoyable anyway.

I thought the universe in which this was set was rather tired and generic and increasingly unlikely given the way that the Internet has developed. I quite liked the mix of genres but felt that there was a lot of build up and not a greatly satisfying climax. I think Rossi has a nice turn of phrase and the main character is a likeable cynic.
I enjoyed the twists and turns of the plot even if it was a little hard to follow at times
Dan
"Crescent was an enjoyable "read", keeping in mind that it is intended for a mature audience. It told a pacy and chilling tale of terror in deep space, carefully balancing horror with action. The characters were generally well-rounded and portrayed with a deft hand, and there are moments where the writing really shines."

Read the rest of my review here:

R. Alexander
I always love the mixture of space and horror. There don't seem to be too many in that genre, and this is a good example of it.

The only knocks I have are that some of the characters are a bit two dimensional and seem to be there just to make you hate them. Now that may be a means to an end, but it would have been more interesting to have these characters seem more real than representing a particular archetype.
Meike
Another podiobook (www.podiobooks.com) I love - one of my all-time-favorites. (Hey, I am the one who is frowned upon by everybody because I love "Star Trek - Deep Space Nine" more than all the other ST-spin-offs!)

I freaking love this podiobook!! I love the story, the plot, the characters, the writing, the recording - it is terrific. Go listen, then go buy the book - you won't be disappointed!

Mai Ling
You know how when you're watching a scary movie and the idiots walk into some dilapidated house unvited and you're screaming, "What the heck are you doing? Get out of there!" I kept thinking that through this whole book, to like, every single inhabitant of this half-built, run-down and extremely haunted station. Seriously, people? I suppose it does make for a good read, though. Despite the type-os.
Brett Keeter
This was a wonderful book, that kept me wanting to keep reading nonstop.
Chris Bowsman
Phil Rossi's CRESCENT is a nod to classic science fiction, where the characters are gritty and interesting, and a nod to classic horror, where the emphasis is on scaring the hell out of the reader rather than grossing them out.

I've listened to two of Phil's other books (EDEN and HARVEY, not yet in print), and will honestly say he's my favorite horror writer.
Mallory
While I'm usually a fan of the dark space mystery, I just couldn't get into this one. The characters just didn't pull me in, and the supernatural aspects that Rossi brought into the story kept me more confused than scared.
Bruce
I "read" this one in podcast form back in 2008. It was creepy. Made me think that if I had the chance to go off-world to a space station I might have to say no. And after all those years of believing that if I ever got the chance, I was out of here. Ok. that's not true, I'd still go in a second, but I'd be really, really scared. Thanks, Phil.
Goran
Worth a read. The storytelling and writing are excellent. If you are into hardcore horror you are going to love this book. But I am not. I did not connect to the characters and for me it was just WAY too dark.

If you want to be scared/freaked out this book can do it.

Renee
Nice and trippy. A bit hard to follow towards the end but then again I am listening to it at work so my attention wasn't always undivided. I definitely appreciate the Epilogue thought, it's fun to see what characters are up to after their story has been told.
Shawn
This was an okay novel. The story telling was good as was the characterization. But the story felt very episodic. Like this was a bunch of stories tied together. The build up never quite paid off. It wasn't a bad novel just wasn't a great one.
Heather
Jul 12, 2010 Heather rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Violence, Horror, Mystery, Sci-Fi Lovers
This book is great! Highly suspenseful with very interesting characters that really draw you into the spooky world they live in. It takes place on an old space station and involves a big evil that will give you the shivers for sure!
Kristin
This was absolutely the most terrifying book I ever read (actually I listened to it). I haven't felt this way about a book since I read Phantoms by Dean Koontz when I was young. Thanks to Mr. Rossi for a fantastic scare!
Michael Nguyen
Characters are well written with some clear motivations. The book's tone as a sci fi horror starts off well enough, but the ending left me more confused than clear on what was going on. A decent read all things considered.
Louise Mitchell
1/29/14 I'm 44% done with Crescent: I'm not sure I want to finish this one. The main characters don't seem to have any morally redeeming qualities and don't seem to be heading in that direction.

4/28/14 I gave up.
Erica
I highly recommend LISTENING to this book, not reading it. It's rare to come across an author that reads his own work well, as well as finding such a high quality (audiobook) production for free!
Jared
Great story--amazing mix of sci-fi and horror with good, relatable characters. I espicially recommend checking out the free podcast version--it's free, and has some kickass music during it.
Phil Alban
Deary me, this has elements of HP Lovecraft (obviously a compliment) and elements of Stephen King (not so much a compliment). Sci-fi horror genius interrupted by ubiquitous foul language.
  • 7th Son: Book Three - Destruction
  • The Crypt Book 01: The Crew
  • Murder at Avedon Hill
  • Nina Kimberly the Merciless
  • South Coast (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper)
  • Hell
  • Billibub Baddings and the Case of the Singing Sword
  • Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era
  • Singularity
Phil Rossi--writer, a musician, and an embracer of "new media"--has a passion for story-telling matched only by the pleasure he derives from keeping his fans awake at night. Crescent, Rossi's debut novel, was originally released as a podcast in 2007 and has since lured 20,000 listeners into a dark, twisted world of nightmares and things that go bump in the night. Phil Rossi's writing has been para ...more
More about Phil Rossi...
Eden Harvey Notes from the Vault Frederic's Little Secret Summer Rental (Kindle Edition)