Start by marking “The Terrible Business of Salmon & Dusk (Podcast Series)” as Want to Read:
The Terrible Business of Salmon & Dusk (Podcast Series)

The Terrible Business of Salmon & Dusk (Podcast Series)

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  84 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Theo Braithwaite, failed actress and worse waitress, is a stranger to London. In a single day, she loses her job, her boyfriend and quite possibly her mind. When she meets part-time thief Kilbey Salmon, Theo finds herself drawn into an unseen world populated by history’s rejects and runaways. Kilbey, alongside the rockabilly-obsessed Nero Dusk, is attempting to eke out a l ...more
Podcast
Published 2007 by Myke Bartlett

To ask other readers questions about The Terrible Business of Salmon & Dusk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Terrible Business of Salmon & Dusk

Infected by Scott SiglerEarthcore by Scott SiglerThe Rookie by Scott SiglerNocturnal by Scott SiglerAncestor by Scott Sigler
Best Free Audiobooks
55th out of 157 books — 483 voters
Geek Love by Katherine DunnLamb by Christopher MooreA Dirty Job by Christopher MooreThe Contortionist's Handbook by Craig ClevengerInvisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk
Best Books You've Never Heard Of
413th out of 1,052 books — 741 voters

More lists with this book...

Bruce Stewart
Mar 04, 2013 Bruce Stewart rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio
Original review posted to podiobooks.com back in 5/2006:

I like the complexity of the language, the reader’s accent, the characters (Theo’s musings on life and love, and the perplexed feeling of a missing wallet turning up where it should not be; Kilbey’s humor in the face of adversity, almost forgetting the all-important Urn), the descriptions (animated shadows; a vivid plate of eggs). I think I’ve met a dozen Theo’s in my life, and I think of Kilbey as a bumbling Han Solo with a hangover. I lis
Dianne Owens
Dec 31, 2010 Dianne Owens rated it it was amazing
Genre: Urban Fantasy / Detective Noir (with mild horror themes)

After a busy week, I have finally got around to complete How To Disappear Completely, a podcast novel by the talented author Myke Bartlett. I was actually introduced to his writing by way of a standalone podcast novel called Electricity that was actually produced after HtDC.

The story starts with young Australian-expat Theo Braithwaite receiving an odd phone call at work, one that will be the beginning of a series of events that will
Jacqui Hencsie
Oct 20, 2014 Jacqui Hencsie rated it liked it
Shelves: listening
Couple of chapters in it feels like a mix of Vonnegut and Neverwhere by Gaiman. People disappearing to an underground London and a detective names Kilby Salmon (Kilgore Trout anyone?)

Good so far.

UPDATE: I never really got past feeling that this was a jumble of weird things happening. But I guess I should have expected that from "A Novel of Sorts"
Mari
Aug 20, 2015 Mari rated it it was amazing
I don't usually leave a review, but I absolutely loved this novel of sorts. Normally I don't listen to audio books, but the combination of Myke's voice (and his subtle alterations for what character was speaking) and his wonderful prose made me glad I did pick it up.
Lotta
So it took me a while to get into the story, probably because I didn't have much time to listen at the time, but when I did, I really did. Wow. I liked the reading; Kilbey's voice especially matched his character very well. The language had a beautiful flow to it, and the accent(s) did lovely things to my mind. The plot was wonderfully complex, the characters interesting and funny. And there were hot beagles! Well, there weren't, but there should have been.

There are some audio noice in the backg
Robin
Feb 05, 2015 Robin rated it really liked it
I liked it. took awhile to unravel what was going on but that was part of its charm. I listened to the audio book read by the author and loved his reading. the end was a little unsatisfying but it sounds like he's going to feature Kilby in another book. I would definitely read it!
Elise Bond
Aug 18, 2010 Elise Bond rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio-or-podcast
This book was a little confusing at times, but it was enthralling. It was dark and almost noir at times. It has a unique take on time travel, and it kept me entertained with every episode.
Julie Davis
Mar 08, 2010 Julie Davis rated it it was amazing
#20 - 2010

Urban fantasy at its best, this audiobook has hints of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere without being derivative. Quite a feat and one that Myke Bartlett pulls off perfectly.
Simon C
Apr 12, 2015 Simon C rated it liked it
Nicely written and narrated generally if rather wearing its heavy influences on its sleeve.
Chris Bowsman
Jun 09, 2011 Chris Bowsman rated it it was amazing
Delightfully weird and quirky. One of my favorite podcast novels I've listened to in a long time.
Wendy
Dec 17, 2013 Wendy rated it it was amazing
great book.
Naomi
Feb 22, 2013 Naomi rated it it was amazing
Ace :)
Bob Bagnall
Bob Bagnall rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Clay Esq
Clay Esq is currently reading it
Dec 31, 2015
Mads
Mads rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2015
Tanith
Tanith rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2015
Rachel
Rachel added it
May 26, 2015
Stacy
Stacy rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2015
Korista Minney
Korista Minney marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Ryan
Ryan rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2015
Joanna Francis
Joanna Francis marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Mirai
Mirai marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Robertness
Robertness rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2014
Yageceata
Yageceata marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2014
David K
David K rated it really liked it
Dec 07, 2014
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2014
Caroline
Caroline rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2014
Jana Kaiser
Jana Kaiser marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Myke's Young Adult novel FIRE IN THE SEA won the 2011 Text Prize and was published in July 2012.

A trained journalist, Myke writes on politics, movies, pop culture and rock music. His work has been published in THE AGE, DUMBO FEATHER, OVERLAND, TRIPLE J MAGAZINE, METRO, CREAM MAGAZINE and THE BIG ISSUE. (And some other titles that won't fit into that very long sentence.)

He is the culture journalist
More about Myke Bartlett...