Start by marking “A Time Like No Other” as Want to Read:
A Time Like No Other

A Time Like No Other

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Lally Fraser, widowed at twenty, seeks comfort with dashing young mill owner Roly Sinclair. But when she finds she is expecting his baby, she turns to his dour brother Harry for help. Secretly in love with her, Harry offers her marriage. Roly, though, is anything but pleased. Threatening scandal or worse, he sets out to destroy them both. And when Harry is injured in a vic ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Hodder & Stoughton (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Time Like No Other, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Time Like No Other

Lauren Jackman
I really enjoy stories written in years gone by,I like the dynamics of how men and women were supposed to act and behave. Lally is a strong minded, free spirited and loving woman who at times acts impulsively. I was captured from the start and loved the loylty of the womens friendships with one another. A great love and devotion blossomed throughout between Lally and Harry. I look forward to reading more of Howards books.
Kay Bolton
Review taken from my Blog Post #116 in May 2011, after borrowing book from library.

At the age of just 20 Lally Fraser is left without the love of her life, with 2 small infant sons and absolutely no money on a badly neglected country estate.

She seeks the comfort of dashing childhood friend, Roly Sinclair with leaves her pregnant and is rescued by his elder brother, Harry, when he offers her marriage.

The only thing is that Harry is actually in love with her, but will she ever (a) realise that fac
Fanny
I was surprised by this book: less romantic than I expected but much more interesting.
Hazel McHaffie
A romantic novel set in Yorkshire in the woolen industry when conditions for mill operatives were appalling and life was cheap. Not really my kind of reading but it showed me the importance of respecting the reader's intelligence, the value of dialect, and the merits of brevity!
Sara Kimpton
Very readable historical fiction set in Yorkshire during the industrial revolution. It reminded me of Catherine Cookson's writing. However, points off for excessive use of exclamation marks.
Kathryn
Good story, but was a bit depressing, there always seemed to be something bad happening.
Audrey
Very good book. I highly recommend it.
Christine
Very good book. All loose ends tied up very nicely.
Fiona
Fiona is currently reading it
Jun 25, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Francesca Tripiedi
Francesca Tripiedi marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Veronica
Veronica marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Lina
Lina marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Mitchel Khan
Mitchel Khan marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Leah Eldar
Leah Eldar marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
Donna Davidson
Donna Davidson marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Iqra
Iqra marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Ildikó Szendrői
Ildikó Szendrői marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Rettah
Rettah added it
Jun 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Audrey Howard was born on 1929 in Liverpool, Merseyside, England, UK, and grew up in St Annes on Sea, Lancashire, where she lives in her childhood home.

Before she began to write she had a variety of jobs, among them hairdresser, model, shop assistant, cleaner and civil servant. In 1981, while living in Australia, she wrote the first of her bestselling novels published since 1984. In 1988, her nove
More about Audrey Howard...
Rose Alley The Flight Of Swallows A Place Called Hope The Woman from Browhead The Long Way Home