Start by marking “Intimate Behaviour” as Want to Read:
Intimate Behaviour

Intimate Behaviour

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  234 ratings  ·  17 reviews
A zoologist writes a books discussing all aspects of intimacy between animals, as well as, humans. Desmond Morris keeps his opinions to himself & describes human behavior as seen thru the objective eyes of a zoologist. The facts, he trusts, will speak for themselves, & will speak loudly enough for readers to form their own conclusions.
Introduction
The roots of intim
Published January 1st 1971 by Random House, Inc. (NYC)

To ask other readers questions about Intimate Behaviour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Intimate Behaviour

Joe
Desmond Morris is an observer. His observations and “connections” are refreshingly interesting to me, if not fascinating. By training and inclination, he sees human (intimate) behavior against other primate (intimate) behavior, and shows how they are alike and different. That is the departure point. Going on, he sees and interprets later human intimate behavior (and needs for same) as rooted in and a continuation of early (infancy) intimate behavior (and needs for same). At times, I’m thinking, ...more
Jack
May 04, 2007 Jack rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
One of the most insightful books I've ever read. A must read for anyone who would like to consider themselves self aware. Loved It!!
Annie
Everyone should read this book for a better understanding of ourselves and why we do the things we do.
Sherif Amr
You know how some books have some hidden gems that are buried beneath a bunch of crap, that you have to get your hands dirty to find them? ..Well you'll probably need a diving suit for this one
Fiona McGier
Feb 02, 2010 Fiona McGier rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Fiona by: My later father
Why do we seek out the kind of person that attracts us...what attracts us to that person in the first place? How does our background predispose us to connect with the same kind of lover each time? Is it really true that boys seek out women like their moms, and girls seek out men like their dads? All of these questions and more are answered in this wonderfully readable book by the author of The Naked Ape. He makes learning about ourselves enjoyable, as well as informative.
Jason
Not nearly as good as The Human Zoo.
Mika Auramo
Kierrätyskeskuksen hyllyltä tarttui kolikolla mukaan Desmond Morrisin Hellyyden anatomia (Intimate behaviour), joka oli ennen vanhaan 1970-luvulla varsin suosittu teos ja päätyikin Suuren Suomalaisen Kirjakerhon kuukauden kirjaksi.

Morrisin lähestymistapa on etologinen, eli hän tarkastelee ihmisen toimintaa ja käyttäytymistä eläintieteellisesti, mikä on herättänyt mielipiteitä puolesta ja vastaan.

Hellyyden anatomia on jaoteltu yhdeksään lukuun: sukupuolisesta viettelystä parinmuodostukseen, valtu
Darrin
Feb 09, 2015 Darrin rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Couples, psychologists
Explores the different levels and types of human touch; intimacy which every human being needs for basic fulfillment in life. Explores the differences and similarities between "social" touch and "sexual" touch and explains how the two are more closely related than we may think. Specifically addresses the several professions where intimate touch is "licensed" such as: masseuse, doctor, chiropractor, etc. Also explores self-touch (reactions when we can feel/touch ourselves in many situations) and ...more
Elke de Echte
Intiem gedrag bevestigt elk instinctief vermoeden over lichamelijk contact: de mens kan niet zonder. Hoe sterk die behoefte ook is, hoe weinig die werkelijk wordt erkend. In de meest verontrustende gevallen wordt die behoefte zelf de baby ontkend, met psychologisch zware gevolgen. Intimiteit kreeg een dermate vernauwde connotatie dat het zich in zeer artificiële wegen moest wringen. Desmond Morris werpt een licht op de mens als dier dat contact zoekt en vindt… of toch meestal. Zijn pleidooi – ho ...more
Catherine Matte
Fascinating subject: SOme interesting facts, and overall, interesting theories as well, just not always well constructs, and the theories/arguments lack of depth sometimes... I have to add that the book is getting a bit old.. there's some "morals" comments from the author that makes the book even older that it is actually.

But still worth the reading... I think it's a good starting point, but for those who are interested in human intimacy/sexuality, this book might not be enough.
Jorge
I had to drop it half-way because there's something not right with this book. There is some insight, and it is interesting at times, but the whole approach to the matter just rings wrong to me. There is so much left out, so much space for misconception and error in the approach of simplifying human social life to the point of comparing it to other animals' and drawing conclusions from this that frightens me to continue reading further.
Erik Graff
Mar 18, 2015 Erik Graff rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: humans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sciences
As the review of that book indicates, I'd read The Naked Ape in childhood to devastating effect. Now, years later, no longer a virgin and familiar with Freud, I was able to read Morris with greater equanimity and less dread fascination.
Makomai
tra i migliori - se non il migliore in assoluto - dei libri di Morris. Illuminante sotto molti aspetti. Dimostrazione di come antropologia ed etologia possono diventare argomenti di interesse anche per i non addetti ai lavori
Clare
Unfortunately Desmond Morris's predilection for bizarre predictions about the future (codpiece, anyone?) and his "dirty old man" persona detract from what could have otherwise been a very interesting book.
al
i've started this book twice and love the information, but i ended up putting it down somewhere in the middle both times. although the subject matter is fascinating, the writing is very dry.
Othón León
An outlook to what makes us search whatever we search for and therefore what defines us as individuals... I enjoyed it, great reflections from Mr. Morris... Again.
ne
ne marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Lala
Lala is currently reading it
May 23, 2015
Chad Everett Scott
Chad Everett Scott marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Kevin Key
Kevin Key marked it as to-read
May 11, 2015
Prasanna
Prasanna marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
  • Why Sex Matters: A Darwinian Look at Human Behavior
  • It's Not You, It's Biology.: The Science of Love, Sex, and Relationships
  • Nerds: Who They Are and Why We Need More of Them
  • Human Evolution
  • The Prehistory of the Mind: The Cognitive Origins of Art, Religion and Science
  • Human: The Science Behind What Makes Us Unique
  • The Age of Empathy: Nature's Lessons for a Kinder Society
  • A Handbook to Literature
  • Harpie
  • How Humans Evolved
Desmond John Morris is most famous for his work as a zoologist and ethologist, but is also known as a surrealist artist and author.

More about Desmond Morris...
The Naked Ape: A Zoologist's Study of the Human Animal The Human Zoo: A Zoologist's Study of the Urban Animal Peoplewatching: The Desmond Morris Guide to Body Language Catwatching: The Essential Guide To Cat Behaviour The Naked Woman: A Study of the Female Body