Start by marking “Switch, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Switch, Vol. 1

Switch, Vol. 1 (Switch #1)

Kai Eto may look like a squeaky clean kid, but the Greater Kanto Narcotics Control Division's new investigator hides a violent alter ego and a dangerous past. With his stoic partner Hal Kurabayashi, Kai is assigned to track down and stop the distribution of Dragon Speed, a dangerous new drug. But Ryugen, the syndicate trafficking the drug, is almost impossible to infiltrat
Published March 11th 2008 by VIZ Media LLC (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Switch, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Shadowjac This is not a manga reading site this is for rating books you've read. Since Switch is officially translated into English you could try having your…moreThis is not a manga reading site this is for rating books you've read. Since Switch is officially translated into English you could try having your library order it.(less)

Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog http://surrealtalvi.wordpress.com/

Switch ended up being an odd duck - and one that is very hard to like. The story, as presented, is extremely choppy and hard to follow. Characters have reactions and pointed looks - but the reader has no idea what's going for most of them. As such, the characters end up being obtuse and uninteresting, the plot static rather than edgy. Flashbacks seem random and the idea that these young guys are detectives is a complete
Nick
May 13, 2008 Nick rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga
Overall Rating: C-
Summary: This police mystery manga by Naked Ape follows two new recruits to the Narcotics Control Department in Japan, Hal and Kai. Kai looks like your average, cute manga boy, but apparently has a violent, dark side that shows itself in the first volume. It looks like who he is and what triggers his "switch" to dark Kai is going to be a big part of this manga.

Adding to the plot is a new drug called "Dragon Speed" (basically really bad ass speed), which is being distributed by
Red Nuht
Feb 01, 2009 Red Nuht rated it really liked it
One of my top ten mangas to date, the Naked Ape duo to an amazing job at grabbing reads with their art and storyline.

I personally found the characters adorable and charming, coming to love most of them almost instantly.

If you read the first one and only think its so-so i'd suggest stay around in the bookstore and read through the second one as well before you make up your mind about the series.

For those of you who are interested there is also a two part OVA of the manga series, though i would
Shinyfox
Aug 19, 2013 Shinyfox rated it it was ok
I picked this up because the whole idea of this series. The art is sure lovely and, indeed, the premise is quite interesting.
The characters, however, just don't draw my attention. Oh sure they're pretty in art, but their personalities are just too bland for me, there is not enough dimension to them. Also I find myself confused with a few of the plot devices (the characters are doing it that way? Didn't they have ANY training at all?!) Not to mention how disjointed this volume seemed.
Lisa Adamko
May 04, 2014 Lisa Adamko rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable to read, I loved the plot and the characters, and the manga tackled the issue of the war on drugs with an appropriate degree of seriousness and realism. At times the art was very confusing and hard to follow, and the plethora of similar-looking characters is daunting for the first few volumes, but then you begin to be able to differentiate. Other than those technical issues, I binge-read the first 13 volumes with ease.
Leila Anani
Jun 06, 2013 Leila Anani rated it it was ok
I came to this series completely cold, knowing nothing about the series or the manga, as such the review may be a little unfair as I hear that the series gets miles better.

As a first volume I found it's disjointed narrative a tad confusing and full of nonsequiters. I like the world in which its set however and the characters are interesting enough to make me want to seek out further volumes. I think this is one that's definitely going to need a reread once further along in the story.
yengyeng
Mar 06, 2010 yengyeng rated it liked it
Shelves: mangamania
Came across Naked Ape's work through their doujinshi and really liked it, esp the art. Decided to read this manga about the Matori (Japanese Narcs) staking out and busting drug syndicates. Not excessively preachy about the evils of taking drugs. The story was a little meh in the beginning and I only started liking the manga from Vol 3 onwards.
Kristin Fletcher-spear
I enjoyed it, but I would have liked to see a little more training of the rookies. I wish they would have mentioned the reasoning for the alter ego of Kai in this volume rather than just hint about it, but I guess that's why there's more than one volume!
Mayday
Nov 10, 2012 Mayday rated it liked it
What draws me to read this manga is its artwork. Interesting concept, but they should have made this less sap :|
Christina
Feb 07, 2016 Christina rated it it was amazing
I found this quite entertaining. It was absolutely fabulous. So far this is one of my favorites.
Soubi
Jul 30, 2008 Soubi rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes detectives/cops
Recommended to Soubi by: me!
Holy @*#^ The guy with glasses is HOTT!!!!!
Kaltham
Oct 31, 2013 Kaltham rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
much better than I expected it to be!!
Tyler
Apr 09, 2013 Tyler rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
God, I love the art in this manga. The story is pretty good too. On to the second volume!
Elizabeth
Mar 18, 2014 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Different from what I usually read but it is not bad. I enjoyed the mystery of the characters and their pasts.
Sarah ~Sehrenity~
Apr 22, 2008 Sarah ~Sehrenity~ rated it liked it
Interesting premise, convoluted plot.
George
George rated it it was ok
Mar 24, 2008
Chloe
Chloe rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2017
Shanaz Karmally
Shanaz Karmally rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2013
usagi ☆ミ
usagi ☆ミ rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2009
Reshie
Reshie rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2016
Cheree
Cheree rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2014
Reca
Reca rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2012
Di
Di rated it liked it
May 25, 2015
Naboru
Naboru rated it really liked it
May 07, 2014
Chandra Martin
Chandra Martin rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Hanata
Hanata rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2017
Jaycat
Jaycat rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2011
Mob is precious
Mob is precious rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2015
Deltiara
Deltiara rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2015
Associated Names:
AIKAWA Lira
LIRA Kotone
SAKI Roka

Part of the mangaka group Naked Ape.

Along with her Naked Ape partner NAKAMURA Tomomi, the two frequently release doujinshis as part of the Acute Girls doujinshi circle.

Additionally, often works with the mangaka YAMAMOTO Kana, as part of the doujinshi circle Negahyst.
More about Otoh Saki...

Switch (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Switch, Vol. 2
  • Switch, Vol. 3
  • Switch, Vol. 4
  • Switch, Vol. 5
  • Switch, Vol. 6
  • Switch, Vol. 7
  • Switch, Vol. 8
  • Switch, Volume 9 (Switch (Viz))
  • Switch, Vol. 10