Start by marking “Switch, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Switch, Vol. 1

Switch, Vol. 1 (Switch #1)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  249 ratings  ·  16 reviews

Kai Eto may look like a squeaky clean kid, but the Greater Kanto Narcotics Control Division's new investigator hides a violent alter ego and a dangerous past. With his stoic partner Hal Kurabayashi, Kai is assigned to track down and stop the distribution of Dragon Speed, a dangerous new drug. But Ryugen, the syndicate trafficking the drug, is almost impossible to infiltrat
Published March 11th 2008 by VIZ Media LLC (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Switch, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Switch, Vol. 1

Nick
May 13, 2008 Nick rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
Overall Rating: C-
Summary: This police mystery manga by Naked Ape follows two new recruits to the Narcotics Control Department in Japan, Hal and Kai. Kai looks like your average, cute manga boy, but apparently has a violent, dark side that shows itself in the first volume. It looks like who he is and what triggers his "switch" to dark Kai is going to be a big part of this manga.

Adding to the plot is a new drug called "Dragon Speed" (basically really bad ass speed), which is being distributed by
Lisa Adamko
Very enjoyable to read, I loved the plot and the characters, and the manga tackled the issue of the war on drugs with an appropriate degree of seriousness and realism. At times the art was very confusing and hard to follow, and the plethora of similar-looking characters is daunting for the first few volumes, but then you begin to be able to differentiate. Other than those technical issues, I binge-read the first 13 volumes with ease.
Elizabeth
Different from what I usually read but it is not bad. I enjoyed the mystery of the characters and their pasts.
Red Nuht
One of my top ten mangas to date, the Naked Ape duo to an amazing job at grabbing reads with their art and storyline.

I personally found the characters adorable and charming, coming to love most of them almost instantly.

If you read the first one and only think its so-so i'd suggest stay around in the bookstore and read through the second one as well before you make up your mind about the series.

For those of you who are interested there is also a two part OVA of the manga series, though i would
Shinyfox
I picked this up because the whole idea of this series. The art is sure lovely and, indeed, the premise is quite interesting.
The characters, however, just don't draw my attention. Oh sure they're pretty in art, but their personalities are just too bland for me, there is not enough dimension to them. Also I find myself confused with a few of the plot devices (the characters are doing it that way? Didn't they have ANY training at all?!) Not to mention how disjointed this volume seemed.
Leila Anani
I came to this series completely cold, knowing nothing about the series or the manga, as such the review may be a little unfair as I hear that the series gets miles better.

As a first volume I found it's disjointed narrative a tad confusing and full of nonsequiters. I like the world in which its set however and the characters are interesting enough to make me want to seek out further volumes. I think this is one that's definitely going to need a reread once further along in the story.
yengyeng
Came across Naked Ape's work through their doujinshi and really liked it, esp the art. Decided to read this manga about the Matori (Japanese Narcs) staking out and busting drug syndicates. Not excessively preachy about the evils of taking drugs. The story was a little meh in the beginning and I only started liking the manga from Vol 3 onwards.
Kristin Fletcher-spear
I enjoyed it, but I would have liked to see a little more training of the rookies. I wish they would have mentioned the reasoning for the alter ego of Kai in this volume rather than just hint about it, but I guess that's why there's more than one volume!
Mayday
What draws me to read this manga is its artwork. Interesting concept, but they should have made this less sap :|
Tyler
Apr 10, 2013 Tyler rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
God, I love the art in this manga. The story is pretty good too. On to the second volume!
Chris
A little hectic, we'll see what happens int he next volumes...
Soubi
Jul 31, 2008 Soubi rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes detectives/cops
Recommended to Soubi by: me!
Holy @*#^ The guy with glasses is HOTT!!!!!
Kaltham
much better than I expected it to be!!
Sarah ~Sehrenity~
Interesting premise, convoluted plot.
Richard A
Richard A marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Shiversixupi
Shiversixupi marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
claudia
claudia marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Jenn
Jenn marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Machan
Machan added it
Jul 26, 2015
Panda Attack
Panda Attack marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Libby
Libby marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
  • Cigarette Kisses
  • Tea for Two Volume 1
  • No Touching At All
  • La Esperança, Volume 01
  • Seven Days: Monday → Thursday (Seven Days, #1)
  • Border Volume 1
Associated Names:
AIKAWA Lira
LIRA Kotone
SAKI Roka

Part of the mangaka group Naked Ape.

Along with her Naked Ape partner NAKAMURA Tomomi, the two frequently release doujinshis as part of the Acute Girls doujinshi circle.

Additionally, often works with the mangaka YAMAMOTO Kana, as part of the doujinshi circle Negahyst.
More about Otoh Saki...

Switch (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Switch, Vol. 2
  • Switch, Vol. 3
  • Switch, Vol. 4
  • Switch, Vol. 5
  • Switch, Vol. 6
  • Switch, Vol. 7
  • Switch, Vol. 8
  • Switch, Volume 9 (Switch (Viz))
  • Switch, Vol. 10