Start by marking “Dialogue: The Art Of Thinking Together” as Want to Read:
Dialogue: The Art Of Thinking Together

Dialogue: The Art Of Thinking Together

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  13 reviews
As Aristotle put it long ago, human beings are distinguished from other species by our ability to use language. Yet too often, at our jobs and in our business, we don't listen to one another. Invested in our views, we explain when we should inquire. Caught up in our own preconceptions, we disguise our feelings and fears, and hide our very meaning. Our talk, in fact, drives ...more
Published September 14th 1999 by Crown Business (first published September 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Dialogue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dialogue

David Kimball
Dialogue: And the Art of Thinking Together
By William Isaacs

This is a great book to make you stop and think about what makes for great dialogue. It helps you ask the right questions such is How do I define great dialogue? How can I create the environment for great dialogue? What are the elements that make up a great dialogue?

The author defines dialogue as a conversation with a center, and not with sides. Instead of focusing on our differences, it channels our energies on something that is newly c
Sam
Reading Dialogue: The Art of Thinking Together by William Isaacs has had reverberating affects on my way of thinking, seeing, and participating with the interconnected world around me. It has left me wondering why we collectively pretend, as a culture and as a species, to know what we are supposed to be doing here in this world with the time we have been granted. We stroll through the streets of our brilliantly constructed societies with a contrived sense of ease and understanding that what we a ...more
Gene
Isaacs draws on thought of David Bohm and makes a clear presentation for contempory efforts to getting people to talk together for real change.Plenty of examples, stories and insights.
Sheehan
Well I probably spent the most time reading this book of any text so far this year...a bit dry, certainly relevant.

Dialogue is an exposition on the ways in which discussions can be made more fruitful, philosophies which support and inhibit productive exchanges, and how they can be applied to real-word impasses.

Very basically, a few key aspects of productive dialogue are examined and played with throughout the book: voicing, listening, respecting and suspending/suppression. All seemingly intuitiv
Stuart Reid
A very impressive book. Weaves together a lot of different strands of theory into a coherent whole. A lot of the thinking in here resonated with me, and I liked Isaacs' warnings against turning dialogue into a holy grail - he suggests dialogue is a process of moving between different types of conversation, and is not just something that we achieve only rarely when conditions are perfect.
Rúben
Many new interesting and relevant concepts, but many of them seem to be still incomplete in the author's mind. Perhaps too much deviations from the main idea of the book; it could have been written in only one third of the pages.
dogkiln
This book possesses interesting concepts and ideas every now and again, but for the most part is dry and dull reading. I can't help but feel the same ideas are better explained elsewhere.
Hoa
Good for anyone to understand how a meeting should run to work efficiently and effectively. Useful information to seeing how your actions can help or cripple new ideas in a meeting.
Zlyoc
".......eksplorasi prisip2 dan praktek dalam bergerak melampaui pelaporan pikiran2 sendiri kepada pemikiran sebenarnya secara bersama2 dan membangun kebijaksanaan kolektif...."
Ellen
I like the way William defines and breaks apart words. The group dynamics and explanation of how we create as we speak is fascinating.
Peter
One of the most important books I've read in my life. By changing the way we talk and listen, things do not have to be as they are.
Avance MBA
Jul 14, 2010 Paul added it
Shelves: self-help
Recommended by A Whole New Mind
Athena Beck
Athena Beck marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Riikka Suutari
Riikka Suutari marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Ryan Elliot
Ryan Elliot marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Jaimi Quinn
Jaimi Quinn marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Katy Benway
Katy Benway marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Barb
Barb marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Leandra
Leandra marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Vladimir Heiskanen
Vladimir Heiskanen marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Jim Zheng
Jim Zheng marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Stas
Stas marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Alastair Kemp
Alastair Kemp marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Timothy Wright
Timothy Wright marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
  • On Dialogue
  • Organizational Culture and Leadership (The Jossey-Bass Business & Management Series)
  • Time to Think: Listening to Ignite the Human Mind
  • Turning to One Another: Simple Conversations to Restore Hope to the Future
  • The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook: Strategies and Tools for Building a Learning Organization
  • Theory U: Leading from the Future as it Emerges
  • The Knowing-Doing Gap: How Smart Companies Turn Knowledge into Action
  • People Skills
  • Community: The Structure of Belonging
  • Turn the Ship Around!: A True Story of Turning Followers into Leaders
  • The World Cafe: Shaping Our Futures Through Conversations That Matter
  • In Over Our Heads: Mental Demands of Modern Life
  • Solving Tough Problems: An Open Way of Talking, Listening, and Creating New Realities
  • Visual Meetings: How Graphics, Sticky Notes & Idea Mapping Can Transform Group Productivity
  • Servant Leadership: A Journey Into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness
  • Synchronicity: The Inner Path of Leadership
  • Beyond Bullet Points: Using Microsoft PowerPoint to Create Presentations That Inform, Motivate, and Inspire: Using Microsoft PowerPoint to Create Presentations That Inform, Motivate, and Inspire
  • On Moral Fiction
Dialogi ja yhdessä ajattelemisen taito