Start by marking “Hidden Soldier” as Want to Read:
Hidden Soldier

Hidden Soldier

3.78  ·  Rating Details  ·  51 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Padraig O'Keefe joined the elite and secretive French Foreign Legion at the age of 20 and went on to serve in Cambodia and Bosnia. On returning to civilian life, he was not able to settle, so became a 'hidden soldier' by opting for security missions in Iraq and Haiti. Here, he tells his story.
Published September 7th 2007 by O'Brien Press

To ask other readers questions about Hidden Soldier, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden Soldier

James
Eloquent but down-to-earth, concrete but passionate. This is a person I'd have been honored to serve beside or to follow. It's a brutal read at times, because O'Keefe doesn't soften brutal situations when he describes them. Reading his account of the incident that forms the climax of the book was, to me, as overwhelming as watching the opening half hour of Saving Private Ryan.

I've read some other books about the French Foreign Legion and seen some documentaries, so I have a fairly clear picture
Ashley
Aug 20, 2014 Ashley rated it it was amazing
The book started off reasonably interesting. The frustrations of the author being unable to protect innocent citizens was a major reason for leaving the legion as well as the legion slowly changing for the worse.

Where the book really came into its own was when the author worked as a security contractor. The gritty realism of the ambush that he survived really hits home and portrays the the ruthless and harsh realities of the Iraq war. The effects of guerilla tactics on a much better trained for
Charles Sloden
Oct 02, 2015 Charles Sloden rated it it was amazing
I've read at least six books written by former Legionaires and this one is absolutely one of the best. In addition to O'Keefe's time in the Legion, he tells us about his first forays into the world of Private Military Contractors and the work they do in some of the most dangerous places on earth. A great read. We don't realize how fortunate we are to live in the United States. I can't recommend it enough!
Eralp
Jun 13, 2014 Eralp rated it really liked it
Great read. An honest account of a man whose dream was to become a soldier and how he achieved that dream. A good life with its best human values and inevitable downfalls.
Meg Sheridan
Jul 28, 2014 Meg Sheridan rated it it was amazing
So well written and WHAT A STORY! Amazing!
Karen Daly
Oct 29, 2013 Karen Daly rated it it was amazing
Second read now as I always miss something in eagerness to see what happens next. Riveting and gripping real life accounts.
David O'Connor
David O'Connor rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
Graeme Blair
Graeme Blair marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
t robertson
t robertson rated it really liked it
Dec 20, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2015
Gary Ormiston
Gary Ormiston marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Callan
Callan added it
Oct 09, 2015
Dom Corry
Dom Corry rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2015
Kevin
Kevin rated it liked it
Sep 16, 2015
Padraic
Padraic rated it it was ok
Sep 12, 2015
Brendan Jure
Brendan Jure marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Eoghan O
Eoghan O rated it liked it
Aug 16, 2015
Ehla
Ehla marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Alex
Alex rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2015
Helena
Helena rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2015
Dave Martin
Dave Martin rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2015
Zac
Zac rated it it was ok
Jun 28, 2015
Criticalmick
Criticalmick rated it really liked it
May 30, 2015
Caroline
Caroline rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2015
Laura Duffy
Laura Duffy rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2015
Cambrone
Cambrone marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Nickel
Nickel added it
Mar 15, 2015
Amalia
Amalia marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Jj Lacey
Jj Lacey marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015