Start by marking “Hidden Soldier” as Want to Read:
Hidden Soldier

Hidden Soldier

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Padraig O'Keefe joined the elite and secretive French Foreign Legion at the age of 20 and went on to serve in Cambodia and Bosnia. On returning to civilian life, he was not able to settle, so became a 'hidden soldier' by opting for security missions in Iraq and Haiti. Here, he tells his story.
Published September 7th 2007 by O'Brien Press

To ask other readers questions about Hidden Soldier, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hidden Soldier

Eloquent but down-to-earth, concrete but passionate. This is a person I'd have been honored to serve beside or to follow. It's a brutal read at times, because O'Keefe doesn't soften brutal situations when he describes them. Reading his account of the incident that forms the climax of the book was, to me, as overwhelming as watching the opening half hour of Saving Private Ryan.

I've read some other books about the French Foreign Legion and seen some documentaries, so I have a fairly clear picture
The book started off reasonably interesting. The frustrations of the author being unable to protect innocent citizens was a major reason for leaving the legion as well as the legion slowly changing for the worse.

Where the book really came into its own was when the author worked as a security contractor. The gritty realism of the ambush that he survived really hits home and portrays the the ruthless and harsh realities of the Iraq war. The effects of guerilla tactics on a much better trained for
Charles Sloden
I've read at least six books written by former Legionaires and this one is absolutely one of the best. In addition to O'Keefe's time in the Legion, he tells us about his first forays into the world of Private Military Contractors and the work they do in some of the most dangerous places on earth. A great read. We don't realize how fortunate we are to live in the United States. I can't recommend it enough!
Great read. An honest account of a man whose dream was to become a soldier and how he achieved that dream. A good life with its best human values and inevitable downfalls.
Meg Sheridan
So well written and WHAT A STORY! Amazing!
Karen Daly
Second read now as I always miss something in eagerness to see what happens next. Riveting and gripping real life accounts.
Gary Ormiston
Gary Ormiston marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Callan added it
Oct 09, 2015
Brendan Jure
Brendan Jure marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2015
Ehla marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Cambrone marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Nickel added it
Mar 15, 2015
Amalia marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Jj Lacey
Jj Lacey marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Chrish marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2015
Carrie added it
Jan 30, 2015
Geoffrey marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015