Start by marking “The Silent Scream (Nightmare Hall, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Silent Scream (Nightmare Hall, #1)

The Silent Scream (Nightmare Hall #1)

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  354 ratings  ·  26 reviews
High on a hillside overlooking Salem University, sits Nightingale Hall. Nightmare Hall, the students call it. Because that's where the terror begins...

Jess can't wait to start college. Until she arrives at her dorm... She can see why they call it Nightmare Hall. Especially when she learns the dark secret hidden within its walls.

A girl called Giselle hanged herself there. I
Paperback, Point Horror, 229 pages
Published October 20th 1994 by Scholastic (first published July 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Silent Scream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silent Scream

The Hitchhiker by R.L. StineFunhouse by Diane HohDream Date by Sinclair SmithThe Silent Scream by Diane HohThe Lifeguard by Richie Tankersley Cusick
Best Point Horror Books
4th out of 105 books — 7 voters
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark HaddonCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Most Orange Books of All Time
456th out of 623 books — 203 voters

More lists with this book...

Rebecca McNutt
Chilling and easy-to-read horror story, creative and original and easy for kids to relate to, but filled with all the suspense and fear of a classic ghost story. This book is also great for nostalgic value, I loved this book when I was a kid and I still have my copy, Diane Hoh is a great writer of horror for young adults.
Bookwormliz
Dec 21, 2008 Bookwormliz rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bookwormliz by: Shawna
The first book in Diane Hoh's mid-nineties paranormal young adult series featuring the haunts of hijinks of Salem University focuses on Jessica Vogt, a college freshman with a roommate from hell...literally. When strange things start happening at her off-campus dorm--Nightingale Hall, a secluded brick house that shares the series' ominous monicker--Jessica learns her room is the one in which former student Giselle McKendrick hanged herself. But was Giselle's death really a suicide, as the campus ...more
Mehsi
My first book for my October Horror Month Fest in celebration of Halloween.

I have been meaning to read these books for some time, but was waiting for the right time, and the right time came!

You can clearly tell the age of the book, a lot of things are old-fashioned, there is no mention of cellphones/smart phones. Having a computer is not happening and you can only find them in libraries or in schools. And a few other things. I really like that, and it is also a big reason why I read these books.
Stacy Mar
I read this series as a teenager and loved it.

As an adult, they aren't quite as endearing but I still find them entertaining.

I am rereading all of my old favorites from my teen years for a YA horror blog I have just began:

I'll be posting reviews of this series as well as other YA horror books from the 90's!
Bunny
Oh my god, I loved these fucking books so much in Catholic school, and for YEARS now, it has driven me nuts that I couldn't remember the name of the series. Thank you GoodReads, via googling, for helping me remember the name.

And now I must get my hands on every single available one. GOD, these were so great. Why didn't they just shut down the damn dorm/house (wasn't it a house on campus?)? Seems like everyone who lived there was in constant danger because PEOPLE KEPT TRYING TO KILL THEM.

Aaaagh,
Michelle Toy
This review was originally posted on www.talesofyesterday.co.uk

Nightmare Hall: The Silent Scream is book one in the Nightmare Hall series written by Diane Hoh. This series was unique amongst the off-shoots of point horror as all the books in the Nightmare Hall Series were written by Diane Hoh.

The story for book one of Nightmare Hall is basically a whodunit story based in a fictional university called Salem University. A group of students, Jess, Ian, Jon, Cath, Linda and Milo who are starting at
Shannon
I went crazy and raided the clearance section at Half Price. Having bought over half the series, I was praying that this series wouldn't be completely horrible. Yeah, it was only like 50 cents a book, but it would still suck if I wasted money I could have spent on other books. Nothing will ever beat how much I love Fear Street books, but I feel like this series wouldn't be too bad of a substitute. I can't give much opinion on the series as a whole because I haven't read any of the others yet, bu ...more
Monica
Me and the whole horror genre don't always get along so well. Yeah, I've read some Dean Koontz and Stephen Kingbut deep down they terrify me. They are books that I read when it is sunny outside and the family is running around the house for support of my fragile horror mentality. The Blair Witch Project had me up at night for months. I'm a wuss. A real, true wuss.

And that is why I enjoy YA horror so much. True it may be cheesy and is it really horror? Not really but it is perfect for me. It is
Dejunea Baskett
What i think about the book is that I won’t say that I loved the book to bits and pieces. i think that the book definitely can be scary to other that are going to college and that has not stayed in a dorm before. Because if they read the book the book seems so realistic that when they go into the dorm they will think that the same thing that happened to Giselle and Jess is going to happen to them. The book is highly recommended for those who: love horror and thriller stories.

The most thing i
Alex
I started to re-read this series awhile ago, but unfortunately I was only able to read books 2 through 5. I had to get them through Interlibrary Loan, which is no longer an option, so I figured that was the end of that. Luckily I just found a few of these books at Half Price Books, so I can start back up!

This book held up surprisingly well, and I really enjoyed the trip down memory lane.
Julie_ian_curtis
Catherine
May 14, 2015 Catherine marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Jan
3 1/2 stars. This is the first in the Nightmare Hall series. It was originally published in the 1990's but it still holds up. There were a few references that could have been updated to make it a bit more current but that did not bother me. It is not super scary but I did get a few goosebumps while reading it. And the mystery is pretty good. There is talk of suicide and some violence and suspense. If you are concerned about language or sexual content, there really is none in this book. I will pr ...more
Nattie
I love the Nightmare hall series more than anybody should; been reading it since 13 when it came out. This is not a favorite. It's quite scary and ghostly, but not as fun as many of the others. I tend not to like the off-campus ones as much, besides Captives and The Coffin, and maybe another or two.
Blair
Like just about everyone who was a teenager in the 90s, I read a LOT of Point Horror books. However, I think the Nightmare Hall series was my favourite - it's what always springs to mind when I think of Point Horror in general.
Courtney
I'm pretty sure this is the one I read. I've only read a couple of books by Hoh, but it was years ago and I never recorded what I read. It's a guess on when I read it and really how much I liked it, too.
Randi
Dec 09, 2011 Randi is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
this app sucks. or I do. there is no way to read the books. it just puts it on the shelves and lets you sort them but not read them.
Brittany
It's been awhile since I read this, but I do remember I enjoyed it very much, as I did everything else written by Diane Hoh.
Stefanie
Another one with multiple suspects that kept you guessing. Not a typical ghost story either. Really good.
Alice0101
I love this book it always made stay up till night to finsh some chapters
Shelly
3.5/3.75 stars. One of the better oldies I have read recently.
Caitlin
SILENT SCREAM NIGHTMARE HALL #1 by Diane Hoh (1994)
Amy Louise
Good read! Will read the rest of this series :) 3/5
Michelle
One of the many of my childhood favorites.
Chococatgirl11
excellent book. kept me on the edge of my seat
Tanu
its interesting
Jacob Thomas
Jacob Thomas marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Diane Hoh Monster 1 2 May 28, 2013 08:41AM
What's The Name o...: One Book Solved, Still Looking For - Girl Stowing Away on Spaceship [s] 6 50 Jan 25, 2012 06:57AM
  • Dream Date
  • Krazy 4 U
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • The Ripper
  • The Yearbook
  • The Mummy
  • Fatal Secrets (Point Horror, #24)
  • The Cheerleader (Point Horror, #18)
  • The Watcher
  • The Baby-Sitter 3 (Point Horror, 38)
  • Thirteen More Tales of Horror (Point Horror 13's)
Diane Hoh is the author of fifty-seven novels for young adults. She grew up in Warren, Pennsylvania but currently resides in Austin, Texas. Reading and writing are her favorite things, also gardening and grandchildren.
More about Diane Hoh...

Nightmare Hall (1 - 10 of 29 books)
  • The Roommate (Nightmare Hall, #2)
  • Deadly Attraction (Nightmare Hall, #3)
  • The Wish (Nightmare Hall, #4)
  • The Scream Team (Nightmare Hall, #5)
  • Guilty (Nightmare Hall, #6)
  • Pretty Please (Nightmare Hall, #7)
  • The Experiment (Nightmare Hall, #8)
  • The Night Walker (Nightmare Hall, #9)
  • Sorority Sister (Nightmare Hall, #10)
  • Last Date (Nightmare Hall, #11)
Titanic: The Long Night Funhouse (Point Horror, #9) The Invitation (Point Horror, #20) The Accident (Point Horror, #16) Remembering the Titanic