Start by marking “Manga Classics: Great Expectations” as Want to Read:
Manga Classics: Great Expectations

Manga Classics: Great Expectations (Manga Classics)

Great Expectations has it all: romance, mystery, comedy, and unforgettable characters woven through a gripping rags-to-riches tale. Naive Pip, creepy Miss Haversham, beautifully cold Estella, terrifying Abel Magwitch, and the rest of Dicken’s fantastic cast are perfectly envisioned in this new adaptation in this 300-plus page volume featuring artwork by artist Nokman Poon. ...more
Published May 19th 2015 by Udon Entertainment (first published March 10th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Manga Classics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Manga Classics

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingManga Classics by Stacy KingFairytales for Wilde Girls by Allyse NearBasketball Junkie by Chris HerrenMara, Daughter of the Nile by Eloise Jarvis McGraw
Totally Awesome Books
2nd out of 115 books — 7 voters
The Infernal Devices by Cassandra ClareCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareMaximum Ride, Vol. 1 by James PattersonTwilight by Young KimVampire Academy by Richelle Mead
Novels to Graphic Novels/Manga Adaptations
103rd out of 149 books — 155 voters

More lists with this book...

Jamie
Dec 24, 2015 Jamie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga-manwha
3.5
Art was good, but story drags a times, especially the last third.
Yzabel Ginsberg
[I received a copy of this book through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.]

This series of classics turned to manga remains interesting. I read Great Expectations some 9 years ago, so I admit I forgot a lot of details, and it's difficult now for me to properly decide if this adaptation is faithful enough or if it culled through a lot. However, I think that for someone who never read Dickens's original story, this manga version covers the essential parts: Pip's feelings towards his class
Sue Moro
Aug 16, 2015 Sue Moro rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
This manga edition did a great job of capturing the main story in an abridged illustrated format. The artwork and panneling was well done and I really liked the portrayal of the characters, in particularly Ms. Havisham. Classics in manga format are a wonderful way to make the genre available to a larger audience that might otherwise find the language difficult.
Giselle
Dec 18, 2015 Giselle rated it it was amazing
* I received an eARC of this manga from the publisher (UDON Entertainment) via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

description

UDON Entertainment takes us again to a new literary landscape through the publication of one of Charles Dickens’s finest novel in a Manga format titled, The Great Expectation. I have yet to read any of Charles Dickens’s great literary works so I don’t have any idea about his original work so this review will not be compared against the original version. Apart from the two Man
Adela Cacovean
Sep 11, 2015 Adela Cacovean rated it it was amazing

Having read all previous titles in the Manga Classics collection, I've decided to dive yet again into a new classic brought to life in manga form. It seems to have become a tradition now to end up wanting to read the original work after falling in love with the graphic novel, as it was the case with Great Expectations, this time beautifully illustrated by Nokman Poon.

Unfamiliar with the plot of Great Expectations, I found it to be a very interesting story
Marjolein

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I've been reading quite a lot of Manga Classics lately, but unfortunately this is for now the last in the series. Let me start by saying I hope there will be more soon because I liked this one and also the other I've read (Les Miserables, The Scarlet Letter, Emma and Pride & Prejudice).

The story is so well know that I don't think I need to discuss it. Instead, I'd like to say that although I haven't read the book I kind of
Bea Flores
Oct 31, 2015 Bea Flores rated it it was amazing
I was shocked when I saw this. I didn’t thought there were classics like these one! The idea’s amazing. What I love about this idea and the book ofcourse is that.. it gives more life to the story. And also, it gives young readers the chance to understand the story better. I hope to read this kind of MANGAs soon! I really enjoyed flipping the pages and looking at the beautiful illustrations. Such a wonderful book!
Malcolm Everett
Sep 17, 2015 Malcolm Everett rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley, reviewed
This is my second Manga Classics book, the first being The Scarlet Letter (you can read my review here). It’s been many years since I’ve read Great Expectations, but I remember enjoying the overall character arc, and so I was excited to read an adaptation. I can’t imagine the amount of time, effort, and close readings it took to create such an abridged yet cohesive telling of this novel.

My reasons for awarding four stars instead of five may be attributed to faults in the original story itself r
Mallory (toweroftomes)
Findthis review and more fantastical things at The Leaning Tower of Tomes.

The mini-review:

Manga Classics adapt the classics we all know and love in the manga comic format and art style. I’ve read and loved the manga adaptations of Les Miserables and Pride and Prejudice, so I was thrilled that my library had Great Expectations! These are hefty books, around 300 pages, but they fly by so quickly! This one happens to be an adaptation of Charles Dickens’ Great Expectations, and, while it obviously h
Jobelle Reyes
Aug 26, 2015 Jobelle Reyes rated it really liked it
I'm not really fan of classics, i get easily bored and sleepy, I have a solution for that, why not read a classic in graphic novel form. Bright idea!

i was quite surprise that I like it, the art, the adaptation. it was quick and a page turner. I'm hooked the moment I started it, it's quite addicting. The art is quite detailed and suitable for my taste.

**Thank you to Udon Entertainment and NetGalley for allowing me to read this book**
Nay Denise
The artwork was stunning, the writing stayed in tune with the actual novel. The manga definitely bought the story to life.
Alexandra
Jul 06, 2015 Alexandra rated it liked it
I recieved an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I liked the story but it felt a little different from the book. The drawings are very detailed.
Marianna
Feb 28, 2015 Marianna marked it as to-read
JUST YES
Words cannot describe how much I want to read this. Manga and Dickens? Yes please!
Chess Desalls
May 24, 2015 Chess Desalls rated it it was amazing
Beautiful adaptation of one of my favorites. I'd love to see this team take on Wuthering Heights.
Ije the Devourer of Books
Nov 11, 2016 Ije the Devourer of Books rated it really liked it
Another really good interpretation of a famous classic, this time by Charles Dickens.

Unlike the other classics I have read this is not a romantic story, instead it is a story about how a young orphan finds his way in the world. He loses his parents and is brought up by his harsh sister and her friendly husband. At a young age he becomes the playmate of a young girl who is adopted by a wealthy woman. His playmate, Estelle, becomes a main figure in his life through his youth. In fact he aspires to
Jane
Nov 30, 2016 Jane rated it liked it
DISCLAIMER: I received a free copy of an un-edited electronic proof from UDON & Morpheus via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. The following thoughts are my own and have not been affected in any way by this.

This one is a yet another lovely manga adaptation with gorgeous illustrations that I'm very glad to have read. If there's no other reason to enjoy the book, then the breathtaking pictures by Nokman Poon are a reason enough to want to give this one a shot.

The story simply flew b
Carmen8094
Nov 13, 2016 Carmen8094 rated it it was amazing
Grandi speranze è un romanzo di Charles Dickens molto particolare, a tratti estremizzato, nel personaggio di Miss Havisham, ad esempio, o nei rapporti svelati alla fine tra i vari protagonisti.
Crystal S. Chan lo ha riadattato per Manga Classics con la collaborazione di Nokman Poon, che ne ha curato le tavole.

La copertina è molto bella e significativa: vi vediamo un piccolo Pip i cui abiti ne svelano la bassa condizione sociale, abbracciato da un sé adulto, abbigliato invece da gran signore; indi
Anastacia
Nov 06, 2016 Anastacia rated it it was amazing
I've only seen the South Park adaptation of Great Expectations, which was hilarious. I was interested in reading this manga from Netgalley. The manga is beautifully told, with nice illustrations and a good story. I never read the book, but the manga made it easy to follow. I have to admit I voiced Pip as Butters in my head. As for the story, Dickens is pretty depressing, and I guess readers complained about the ending, so this manga makes it ambiguous on purpose.
R
Oct 24, 2016 R rated it it was amazing
Wonderful rendition of a beautiful classic! The illustrations were beautiful and the dialogue very well done.
Beautifulday4makeup The-book-and-Me
I received the ebook in exchange for an honest review on Netgalley.
This is a suspenseful story. Sometimes I felt too much happened in too little pages, but I liked reading it
Ian Wood
Apr 17, 2016 Ian Wood rated it it was amazing

Alie
Sep 26, 2016 Alie marked it as read-soon
*Netgalley copy generously provided in exchange for an honest review*
Chioma
Jun 12, 2015 Chioma rated it really liked it
If you do not already know this book along with numerous other books produced by Manga Classics are meant to be well known classics put in the popular Japanese style of graphic novel form. I have already read the original classic Great Expectations by Charles Dickens and loved it. Right off the bat, I can definitely say I love this manga version as well. This book really made me remember how much I enjoyed the original the first time and the whole intricate plot line Dickens drew up for the ...more
Kåre
Apr 16, 2016 Kåre rated it it was amazing
Shelves: litteratur
God og mærkelig oplevelse at læse.
Jeg startede den på engelsk, men den var for svær, hvorfor jeg skiftede til dansk. Jeg læste den ret omhyggeligt, nok fordi den er besynderlig på en spændende måde. Den blev dog mindre mærkelig, desto længere jeg kom ind i den. Hvor den i starten virkede springende, surealistisk, var den til sidst stram og klar. Tja, måske siger det mere om min læsning end om bogen, for hvorfor skulle den udvikle sig på den måde?

Fortælleren ved i begyndelsen ikke meget og vi fo
Kimberly [Come Hither Books]
Manga Classics: Great Expectations captures all of the things that makes Dickens great. The characters are complex and full of contradictions, and the story both frightens, frustrates, and inspires. The artwork does a good job of capturing these complicated characters and taking me through their journey.

It’s surprising just how much of the plot fits into a 300+ page manga. It captures the feel of Dickens’ prose and whet my appetite for more.

Manga Classics Series Review:
The Manga Classics serie
Soobie's heartbroken
Wow! I really love the way Stacy King adapts all these classic novels into manga. She gives people like me - who would usually shun classics - a change to read those. I sweat, I wouldn't have touched Les Misérables with a ten-foot pole if it wasn't for King's adaptation.

I've never read Great Expectations. There was just an excerpt in my English literature anthology about Miss Havisham. The text presented her and underlined Dickens' skills in describing her and her room. I admit, I was worried th
Wayne McCoy
Jun 29, 2015 Wayne McCoy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Manga Classics continues to put out great content with their adaptation of Great Expectations. This is a great adaptation with great art.

Young Pip helps an escaped prisoner near his home, and the act has the kind of repercussions he can't imagine. He lives with his sister and her blacksmith husband Joe. He his days visiting creepy Miss Haversham's house to play with the beautiful but distant Estella. When he gets older, he finds himself with an anonymous benefactor out to make him a gentleman. P
Kumii
Aug 07, 2015 Kumii rated it really liked it
I am guilty of not having read the original classic by Dickens even though I do like his writing. Classics I just don't usually pick up so i've read some but not many. This is why I adore the Manga Classics collection, it's a way to trigger one's interest in the great classics of our time without having to read the lengthy novels -- though that is also recommended because novels are always better.

Having read The Scarlet Letter by Manga Classics as well, I can safely say that the teams put on th
Kimber
This is a trimmed down version of my review, to view the full review visit The Book Ramble.

I received a copy of this book from Udon Entertainment on NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This book featured, as always from the Manga Classics series, fantastic art. I thought the adaptation was well done, with fairly good character designs, and good pacing. It was far from my favourite in the series of adaptations but I still think it's worth a look for fans of the book.

I thought the story cam
Moriah Bolyard
Jan 08, 2016 Moriah Bolyard rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, read-2015
Thanks to NetGalley for accepting my request of this book.

This is the first of the Manga Classics I have read and I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised by it. I've always wanted to read Great Expectations but haven't yet had the chance to get around to it.

The art in this adaptation is beautiful and very expressive. I greatly appreciated the afterwords in the back of the book explaining why certain parts were adapted in the way they were. Since I was unfamiliar with the original work, I w
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Littlest Pet Shop
  • Wonder Women: 25 Innovators, Inventors, and Trailblazers Who Changed History
  • The Tiger (Love, #1)
  • War Bonds: Love Stories from the Greatest Generation
  • The Blender Girl Smoothies: 100 Gluten-Free, Vegan, and Paleo-Friendly Recipes
  • Jericho Season 4 (Jericho Graphic Novels #2)
  • Lady Hathaway's Indecent Proposal (Hathaway Heirs)
  • Historical Heartthrobs: 50 Timeless Crushes—From Cleopatra to Camus
  • Gunpowder Alchemy (The Gunpowder Chronicles, #1)
  • Bullets and Bread: The Story of Sacrifice in American Homes to Feed the Troops in World War II
  • We All Fall Down
  • Norse Jewel (Norse, #1)
Writer, seamstress & Marketing Manager at UDON Entertainment.

My obsessions include historical costuming, comics, manga, young adult fiction, magic realism, chocolate, and the oxford comma. I enjoy decaf tea, art house cinema, dressing up & getting down.
More about Stacy King...