The Honey Jar

The Honey Jar

3.0 of 5 stars 3.00  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  4 reviews
The Honey Jar retells the ancient stories Rigoberta Menchú's grandparents told her when she was a little girl, and we can imagine her listening to them by the fire at night. These Mayan tales include natural phenomena narratives and animal stories. The underworld, the sky, the sun and moon, plants, people, animals, gods, and demigods are all players in these vibrant storie...more
Published March 1st 2006 by Groundwood Books (first published 2003)

Leatha
Dec 11, 2011 Leatha added it
This is a book of short stories and tales. They are stories that were told to Rigoberta during her childhood from her grandparents. Many of the stories talk about the Mayan culture. The stories and tales include: the moon, sky, sun, animals, and plants.

This would be a great book for children to read. Recommended for 4th-6th grade. The book is very entertaining and will let the child use their imagination.
Michelle
The author retells ancient Maya stories told to her by her grandparents. The stories include the sky, the sun and moon, plants, people, animals, and gods.

This was a difficult read for me. Honestly, I can quite pinpoint why. I usually enjoy creation stories. I think I will have to revisit this one at another time.
Jessica
This was a hard book to get into, but the story line was pretty good.
Olivia
Olivia added it
Jul 01, 2014
Kimberly Brokate
Kimberly Brokate marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Margbar11
Margbar11 marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Dora
Dora marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2013
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2013
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2013
Lily
Lily added it
Jun 26, 2013
Nathalie
Nathalie marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2013
Noemi Martinez
Noemi Martinez marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2013
Jasmine
Jasmine marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2012
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2012
Kristie
Kristie marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2011
pa'tí m
pa'tí m marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2010
Megan Beaman
Megan Beaman marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2009
Julie Suzanne
Julie Suzanne marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2009
I, Rigoberta Menchu: An Indian Woman in Guatemala The Girl from Chimel Crossing Borders The Secret Legacy Searching for Equity: Conceptions of Justice and Equity in Peasant Irrigation