Start by marking “The Hidden World (Princess of Roumania, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Hidden World (Princess of Roumania, #4)

The Hidden World (Princess of Roumania #4)

The Hidden World is the concluding volume in Paul Park’s remarkable tale of Roumania, a world that is both more real and yet also more mysterious and magical than our own.

After finding out that she is the lost princess of Roumania and the mythical White Tyger, Miranda’s fate is still uncertain. The ghosts of her enemies cluster about her, the insane spirit of the Baroness
Published April 15th 2008 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Hidden World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hidden World

Carol
Mar 17, 2010 Carol rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Nigel
Jan 28, 2012 Nigel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Right, then, the final volume in Park's quartet about Greater Roumania. Park has been compared to a lot of other writers over the course of these four books, but one other springs to mind: Michael Swanwick, specifically his anti-pastoral fairy tale, The Iron Dragon's Daughter. These stories share a common approach to fantasy in which they refuse to deliver or indulge in the traditional consolations of the fantasy genre. So when Miranda turns out to be a Princess in a magical world where she wiel ...more
Meredith
Sep 03, 2008 Meredith rated it liked it
This conclusion to Park's Roumania series, I think, finally brought me to terms with the previous books in the series. The other three books are decidedly odd, and I could never decide if I really liked them or not - odd again, for me, because I'm usually very clear-cut in what I do and don't like. In the conclusion, Park finally allowed me to figure out what exactly was going on in these books, and I enjoyed the layers of reality that he explores. I now want to go back and re-read the other thr ...more
Wm
Apr 17, 2008 Wm rated it really liked it
This is the final book in the Princess of Roumania trilogy. And just like with the previous two books, he delivers. A great conclusion. I don't have too much to say (see my reviews of the previous two books for more on Park's strengths as a writer) other than lesser writers would have been tempted at various stages along the way to push things further, to makes things more dramatic (I guess that's the best word). Park doesn't. He keeps things steady and subtle, and although that may sound boring ...more
Woodge
May 08, 2009 Woodge rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: strangers; redheads; lefthanded weasels
Shelves: fantasy
This is the fourth and final book in Park's Roumanian series, easily the oddest series I've read to date. (Could be the oddest story as well but then I recalled Santa Steps Out by Robert Devereaux and for sheer oddness, that one's tough to beat.) There are three main characters in the Roumanian series: Miranda, Andromeda, and Peter. And their trajectory through these books is hard to summarize. Let's just say that the tale involves: an alternate world; conjurers; magical items (including a gun h ...more
Lani
Jan 18, 2009 Lani rated it liked it
Paul Park is the close friend of a close friend, and I had heard such high praise for "A Princess of Roumania," and the subsequent books, that I dutifully read this series. But the story just doesn't carry through four books. By the middle of the third, "The White Tyger," I had found the series tedious and was ready to abandon it entirely -- but I persevered.

"The Hidden World" delivers a satisfying conclusion and succinctly wraps up the hanging plotlines. If you're a devoted reader who feels ob
Jenna
Jan 14, 2010 Jenna rated it liked it
It seemed to take me forever to finish this book/series, but I'm glad I did. I loved the baroness's character, and I loved Andromeda's character. I really do wish there had been more of them in the series.

I think the world that this author created was unique and enjoyable. I do wish that Miranda and Peter hadn't been so incredibly boring. Also, the pacing seemed off to me.

Though I enjoyed this book, I can't think of anyone I would recommend it to. I just don't think most people (or at least th
Paul
Jan 30, 2013 Paul rated it liked it
Paul Park is a difficult author to read, but is someone that every aspiring author should read. His characters always be themselves, regardless of what you think, or may stereotypically expect. That's a difficult task, of not letting your characters become more likeable. People do not always change as magically as some authors allow their characters to. I will read this series again someday. Great Roumania is an interesting place.
Chadwick
Apr 30, 2008 Chadwick rated it really liked it
I'm glad it's over. There's nothing worse than being embroiled in a multi-volume alternate universe saga while it's still coming out. I loved these books, but the jury's out on whether they merit a rereading. They push some of the same magic realist buttons that Mark Helprin does, only Park is out of the closet about being a fantasy novelist. Crap covers, though.
Steve
May 02, 2010 Steve rated it liked it
A real let down, given the preceding volumes in the series.
David
Aug 06, 2011 David rated it it was ok
The final and (by far) weakest of the Paul Park "Princess" series.
Joel
Jul 15, 2008 Joel rated it did not like it
After reading the first three (which really weren't that great), I couldn't even make myself finish this one.
reed
Feb 26, 2009 reed rated it it was amazing
I'll come back and write more about this later but for now I will say that this is a very satisfying ending to the series - an ending that makes the work of reading the books totally worth it.
David
David rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2012
Momma
Momma rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2008
Lee Madson
Lee Madson rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2016
KiYun
KiYun rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2014
Gavin
Gavin rated it liked it
Jan 18, 2011
Ed Cooke
Ed Cooke rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Alex
Alex rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2014
Gregory Scheckler
Gregory Scheckler rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2014
Kym
Kym rated it really liked it
Nov 17, 2008
Diata
Diata rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2011
Brie
Brie rated it it was ok
Jan 11, 2013
Maria
Maria rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Dana White
Dana White rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2014
Erik
Erik rated it really liked it
Nov 02, 2013
Finorie Lew
Finorie Lew rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2017
Glódís
Glódís rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Paul Park (born 1954) is an American science fiction author and fantasy author. He lives in Berkshire County, Massachusetts, with his wife and two children. He also teaches a Reading and Writing Science Fiction course at Williams College. He has also taught several times at the Clarion West Writing Workshop.

Park appeared on the American science fiction scene in 1987 and quickly established himself
More about Paul Park...

Princess of Roumania (4 books)
  • A Princess of Roumania (Princess of Roumania, #1)
  • The Tourmaline (Princess of Roumania, #2)
  • The White Tyger (Princess of Roumania, #3)