Start by marking “Meat Market: Animals, Ethics, & Money” as Want to Read:
Meat Market: Animals, Ethics, & Money

Meat Market: Animals, Ethics, & Money

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  251 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Meat Market elevates the debate over animal agriculture. Erik Marcus exposes and clears away the exaggerated claims and counterclaims put forth by the meat industry and its opponents. In the process, Marcus presents a thorough examination of animal agriculture's cruelties and its far-reaching social costs. Marcus then considers the discouraging progress made by the animal ...more
Published March 15th 2005 by Brio Press(MA)

To ask other readers questions about Meat Market, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Meat Market

Mark Hawthorne
Sep 10, 2008 Mark Hawthorne rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: animal rights activists
In the 1990s, frustrated by the lack of literature in the vegan movement, animal advocate and former technical writer Erik Marcus turned his communications skills to creating books and other material that vegans and non-vegans alike would find accessible and informative. His first book, the groundbreaking Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating, introduced many readers to a new kind of activist writing: prose that makes its case without overt emotional appeals - the facts eloquently speak for themselves ...more
Rachel
Apr 02, 2010 Rachel rated it really liked it
I read it when it was in a brown paper-bag style cover, in June/July 2005 ... I think it was before it was officially published. We read it as part of a Bay Area Vegetarians event organized by Will Beasley. (Actually, I think this was the meeting that motivated Bay Area Vegetarians to begin an "official book club.") I was mostly vegetarian and not at all vegan when I read it. This book opened my eyes and motivated me to go vegan! And become an activist. This book changed my life, and I'm so happ ...more
Ginny Messina
Sep 19, 2008 Ginny Messina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animal-rights
---------
First, a small disclaimer: Erik Marcus is a friend, and I wrote one of the activist essays in this book. I don’t have any financial interest in the book, however, and my review here pertains only to its first part, written by Erik—-not the supplementary materials.
----------

Written primarily for activists, this is well worth reading for anyone who cares about how farm animals are treated. It’s a super quick and easy read. That’s because Erik has a talent for distilling big chunks of inf
Peacegal
Jan 05, 2010 Peacegal rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book for those who are seriously concerned about what happens to animals on factory farms. Rather than just another “go vegetarian” book, Meat Market offers practical ways that we can usher in a more compassionate era.

Marcus begins by concisely explaining exactly why modern farming urgently needs reform. Much of the general factory farming information will already be familiar to humane advocates. However, there was plenty of new and more in-depth information, often culled fr
Lisa Vegan
Nov 25, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all activists, whatever their cause, especially those who care about animals
I, of course, knew about this book and now that I’ve read it, I wish I’d read it when it first was published half a decade ago. I was finally motivated to read it because of a Goodreads group and their upcoming discussion: (http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/4...).

The library gave me a “limited advance printing”/”Limited Advanced Printing First Edition” copy. How weird was that?!

Except for the anecdotal stories, very little of the information was new to me, but all of the material was presented
Miss Scarlett
May 31, 2016 Miss Scarlett rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
This book was AMAZING! I met Erik at the Vegetarian Festival here in San Francisco two years ago. I know you aren't supposed to judge a book by it's cover, but I did! I immediately went up to the table to have a closer look at the picture. There was a man standing at the table and I thought "oh, please don't try to convince me to buy this book." But he was really nice and not pushy and then come to find out he was the author! So I bought the book and he signed it for me!
It took me a couple of ye
Cissa
Mar 19, 2009 Cissa rated it liked it
I knew some of the facts in this book about meat prodution, but not all of them. I think the cites are accurate.

Nonetheless, I am myself an omnivore, and I have an assortment of cherished cats who are obligate carnivores. Most of the meat we purchase has been raised in a small farm, humanely, by people who care about animals. This book, with its information about factory farms, makes me feel better about the choice I've made to buy only responsibly-raised meat (for the most part).

As is pretty cl
Mark Victor Young
Jul 01, 2009 Mark Victor Young rated it really liked it
Shelves: vegetarian-stuff
A great examination of some of the successes and failures of the animal rights movement, where they've got it right and where they've gone off track. It really turns a microscope on the movement and analyzes its own rationales to make sure they make sense. He is quite adept at showing why some don't, despite his obvious commitment to this cause. He is more interested in showing a more powerful way forward.

I read this book after I became vegan (after reading the China Study) and it made me feel b
Julie
Jun 06, 2011 Julie rated it it was amazing
A valuable resource for anyone that is interested in stopping animal cruelty for the 10 billion farmed animals that are slaughtered in the United States every year. Delivers hope for the future, and ideas of what works and what doesn't in the existing Vegan and Animal Welfare and Animal Rights organizations and encourages a new organization with a simple clear cut message of what's really going on. I'm almost done reading this, and I already feel more empowered.
Jessica
Jan 16, 2008 Jessica rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Overall I found this book very informative. Definitely scratches beneath the surface on various issues (at least for me). That is at least true for the first part of the book. I think the book started to go down towards the second part, in his dismantlement section. I agreed with some points but others were not to my taste. I was disappointed by his over-simplistic analysis of immigrant labor forces in slaughterhouses, and their effect on the local community. At one point he referred to undocume ...more
Moneyz
Apr 02, 2014 Moneyz rated it it was amazing
Mr. Markus did a great job making this book a terrific resource for anyone looking to engage themselves with the new upcoming revolution of veganism. As implied he gives a thorough run down on all three factions in the title (animals,ethics,money), then specifies on categories within. He explains the abuses for each individual animal from chicken to pigs. He then reminds the reader of the morals and ethics involved with eating animals, and ties everything together with the money section. The las ...more
Therese  A.  Brink
Oct 28, 2015 Therese A. Brink rated it really liked it
An important book about how farmed animals are treated and the evils of factory farming. A call to action, this book explains the cruelties evil of fa ...more
Dmangaoang0001
Nov 30, 2013 Dmangaoang0001 rated it liked it
I found the book Meat Market very interesting because it informed me about a different perspective on the meat industry. The book is about how the meat industry has taken many shortcuts to produce the meat we consume today. I really liked this book because it informs me of how the meat industry has transformed. There is a huge difference in meat production from 50 years ago to now. Another reason why I like this book is because the author explains how and why the meat industries took shortcuts i ...more
Sarah Suniga
Jan 08, 2008 Sarah Suniga rated it liked it
Recommends it for: precontemplative meat eaters considering a change in diet
Recommended to Sarah by: Jen
i found the first part of the book informative and eye-opening. although i was already aware of many of the harsh conditions animals live in, this was a good refresher. the second part of the book is based on the dismantling movement and it has an interesting premise. i agree with other reviews that the book takes on quite an activist position, which is not as provoking for me. still a good read if you're on the fence about making dietary changes at the very least for the desire to eat good food ...more
Alistair
Oct 04, 2012 Alistair rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animal-rights
Great book - was reading it in my early days of working for a local animal rights organisation.

There is a lot of local opposition / fear of doing what has to be done to get the evidence on animal abuse - even when totally legal.

Getting around this and getting more of the powerful material out into the public arena is what I am most concerned about. The question is how to motivate, even the very dedicated, to do what has to be done.

What I learned was the importance of the multi-pronged approach.
Jen
Jul 13, 2009 Jen rated it it was ok
While the book was a good review of information I was already familiar with and did present some good new information, I was frustrated with the way the book was presented. I felt like the author spent too much time talking about what he was going to talk about and then summing up what he just talked about. However the information in between was lacking. Not a good recommendation for those new to the meat industry world.
Laur
Feb 24, 2012 Laur rated it it was amazing
I really appreciate the utilitarian approach Marcus applies in this book. Most of the books I've read on this topic all say essentially the same thing, and cater more to extremists or preacher to the choir, and I feel that Marcus puts a lot more thought into the topics he covers- as well as effective ways to convey the animal ethics message to non-vegan/vegetarians that few authors have included before.
Katie
Feb 03, 2008 Katie rated it did not like it
This book is somewhere to start for someone fairly new to veganism and animal rights. By the time I read it though, nothing in it was really a surprise so it was kind of bland.
Also, I don't remember the arguments really including and countering any other opinions so I don't think it would really convince anyone that wasn't leaning towards animal rights already.
Jen
Dec 07, 2007 Jen rated it liked it
fact heavy and very informative.
kind of lost me during the theories of dismantling animal agriculture and comparisons to abolition.
(i am not of the revolutionist breed, as much as I disagree with the way animals are raised in factory farms)
none the less a "good read".
Allison
Apr 04, 2009 Allison rated it it was ok
I'm not sure if I found this book to be lacking because I've read other about the same topic that were much better written, or because all the info is starting to repeat itself. It wasn't the best on the topic out there. But it does have a pretty sizable appendix.
Elisa
Dec 28, 2008 Elisa added it
Recommends it for: anyone thinking of going vegan
This is the book that finally motivated me, after 17 years of vegetarianism, to make the final step into veganism a couple of years ago. If you are a vegetarian due to ethical reasons, this is an absolute must-read. Knowledge is power (and motivation.)
Jesse
Nov 07, 2013 Jesse rated it it was amazing
This is an essential read for anyone interested in the U.S. animal farming system. Marcus is very objective in his writing, backing up all of his claims and taking care not to fall into PETA style rants about animal liberation. A great informative read...
Portions of this book are simply odious (Marcus' deeply problematic comparison between animal rights and the abolition movement), other parts are information that one could simply google (most of the book).
Jim R
Dec 02, 2010 Jim R rated it really liked it
I found Erik's book exceptionally well researched and well written. I feel that it helps frame some questions and issues that are central to the conversation around veganism.
Steph
Jul 16, 2012 Steph rated it it was amazing
As someone who loves her steak (and still does), I still feel everyone who enjoys meat should read this. Thoroughly researched. Eye opening.
Katey
Aug 03, 2007 Katey marked it as to-read
This one is going to take awhile for me to read. I have to stop and cry too much.
Michelle
Nov 13, 2010 Michelle marked it as to-read
Shelves: own
I am starting this book for the book club that starts Dec. 1st.
Aashish
Dec 28, 2010 Aashish rated it it was amazing
Helped me become a more effective activist. Good read!
Justin Thind
Aug 03, 2011 Justin Thind rated it liked it
Highlights: Ch. 2, Epilogue, and Activist Essays.
Alma Ramos
Mar 03, 2010 Alma Ramos is currently reading it
im reading this with an open mind.
  • Making A Killing: The Political Economy of Animal Rights
  • The Animal Activist's Handbook: Maximizing Our Positive Impact in Today's World
  • Strategic Action for Animals: A Handbook on Strategic Movement Building, Organizing, and Activism for Animal Liberation
  • Striking at the Roots: A Practical Guide to Animal Activism
  • Thanking the Monkey: Rethinking the Way We Treat Animals
  • The Dreaded Comparison: Human and Animal Slavery
  • The Case for Animal Rights
  • Dominion: The Power of Man, the Suffering of Animals, and the Call to Mercy
  • Eternal Treblinka: Our Treatment of Animals and the Holocaust
  • Living Among Meat Eaters: The Vegetarian's Survival Handbook
  • Introduction to Animal Rights: Your Child or the Dog?
  • The Face on Your Plate: The Truth About Food
  • 101 Reasons Why I'm a Vegetarian
  • No More Bull!: The Mad Cowboy Targets America's Worst Enemy: Our Diet
  • Slaughterhouse: The Shocking Story of Greed, Neglect, And Inhumane Treatment Inside the U.S. Meat Industry
  • Terrorists or Freedom Fighters?: Reflections on the Liberation of Animals