The Baby Beebee Bird

The Baby Beebee Bird

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  230 ratings  ·  45 reviews
It is nighttime at the zoo. The animals are asleep. All is still, until. . . beebeebobbibobbi beebeebobbibobbi beebeebobbibobbi beebeebobbibobbi

The baby beebee bird, new to the zoo, is singing his song. . .ALL NIGHT LONG! Nothing the animals do or say will stop him. Until, that is, they come up with a plan to teach the baby beebee bird that nighttime is really best for sle...more
Published September 5th 2000 by HarperCollins (first published 1963)

Marissa Garcia
There’s a new addition to the zoo: a baby beebee bird, who likes to stay awake at night when the rest of the zoo wants to sleep. The baby beebee bird keeps the other animals up with his incessant “beebeebobbibobbis”, before settling down to snooze when the sun comes up. The animals can’t take it! They hatch a plan to give the baby beebee bird a taste of his own medicine. They “beebeebobbibobbi” all day to interrupt the baby beebee bird’s sleep, making for a very cranky bird who gives in a decide...more
Ginny Marie
The baby beebee bird is a new addition to the zoo...and the other animals are annoyed! But why? The little beebee bird is so small and cute! The very first night of the beebee bird's stay, he is up all night singing his song. "Beebee bobbi bobbi! Beebee bobbi bobbi!" Will the other zoo animals ever get some sleep? All the zoo animals, from the lion to the giraffe, hatch a plan to make the beebee bird stop singing at night. With pictures by one of my favorite illustrators, Steven Kellogg, this bo...more
Katy Bennett
Great bedtime story about a zoo being kept awake at night by a crazy new bird. Fun silly noises and cool illustrations. Be prepared to make wild noises lots!
Shanshad Whelan
Always a good read for a first grade class, provided the reader is in good voice and the class is not too rambunctious. The constant "noise" of "beebee bobbi" throughout the story can get a little wearing for adults, but is generally hysterical for the kids. It probably would also work well as a book to work out some restless energy before a child winds down for bed, followed up by a calmer book. The concept is amusing and one even a young child will get--making lots of noise at night when other...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I hope no one combines this edition with the one illustrated by Steven Kellogg. This is the original story with the original pictures that my mother used to read to my niece whenever she stayed overnight. I used to listen too, because I enjoyed the story so much. Later, I used it with great success in story times, having a ball making the baby beebee bird's call. A few years ago it came out with new illustrations by Steven Kellogg, which are fine, but I like this version best.
Kate
This is a book for children that like to make animal noises- and silly ones at that! The new baby beebee bird at the zoo keeps all the other animals up one night with his singing, and they must hatch a plan to get him to sing during the day and sleep at night. While the illustrations aren't as wonderful as the story itself, the animals are nicely done and this is a fun read for bedtime.
Katie
This was a HUGE hit with my K-2 students. It really lends itself to lots of creative voices for the animal characters. Also, if you have a fidgety group that likes to chat more than listen during story time, you can let them make the animal noises at different points of the book (this came in really handy!). Also, it syncs well with the Kindergarten weekly letter unit on the letter B.
Maryanne
Definitely a go-to book for animal-themed storytimes - there are a lot of opportunities for kids to join in with roars, "beebees," elephant trumpets, etc.; great illustrations; a simple story; and opportunities to make the story come alive with puppets. Somewhat exhausting though - so best to end with this one rather than start with it!
Lindsay
My kids loved it! It's a great opportunity for the teacher-as-reader to get silly imitating the Beebee bird as well, and to encourage them to participate. For older kids this book could be the launch pad for science discussions regarding animal sleeping habits.
Kelsey Peterson
This was my absolute favorite book when I was a child. My grandpa used to read it to me all the time before he died and I still have the copy that he read to me. It is a great book for young children who can't read and great for those learning to read too.
Dolly
Nov 22, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet and lyrical story to read with younger children at bedtime. The narrative is fun to read aloud, and the baby Beebee bird is adorable. Our girls loved imitating his sounds (a little too much!) and we all enjoyed reading this book together.
Aug 01, 2008 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes kids' books
Wow! Thank goodness for Weekly Reader Children's Book Club! This was at the top of my list as a child. I loved having my mom read to me the silly way this bird would sing. I *highly* recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good, silly children's book.
Maria
wonderful book to share with preschooler and elementary. If they have a younger sibling or know a newborn, they can relate to having someone keeping them up at night. It's great to have the kids participating in the baby beebee bird's song..
Farida
I love the story, but Stephen Kellogg's illustrations almost ruin it. Then again, I really dislike Kellogg's illustrations in general. I recommend looking for the out-of-print original that has Massie's simple line drawings.
Warnie B.
I liked the idea of this, but thought it kind of got old fast. Still, the illustrations are pretty cute, and, like I said, the idea is funny. And there are lots of animal noises in it, which are always fun for preschoolers.
Kim
Awesome! Glad I read this one on a Friday as the kids couldn't stop chanting "beebeebobbibobbi" for the rest of the day. They can take that home to their parents and hopefully forget it over the weekend. :)
Heather
My kids absolutely loved this book - maybe more how my dh read it than the book - I'm not sure as I was never allowed to read it to them - ha ha...must mark this one so I can find it again to check out.
Marcie
This one had both my girls laughing. It's the story of a new baby bird at the zoo that sings all night long and keeps the other animals awake. It's got a lot of good animal sounds so it's fun to read aloud.
Lisle Library Youth Services
This is such a fun book to share with a group of kids -- have the kids help you make the sound that the baby Beebee bird makes. A really great one for a group!

Lisle Library Call #: E MAS
Marty
My kindergarten students love this book. They especially love to make the sound of the baby BeeBee bird. Stephen Kellogg's illustrations just made this book better than the original.
Alisa
Collin loves this book. A little bird keeps all the other animals awake at the zoo all night so they in return keep him singing up all day so then he goes to sleep at night. Silly book.
Julie scully
silly story of zoo creatures whose new neighbor's nocturnal tweetings cause havoc one night. Noisy solution is full of fun and leads to a restful and satisfying conclusion.
Emma
The animals at the zoo are ready to go to sleep after a long day of raoring and squawking. However, the Baby Beebee Bird has just woken up and has different plans for the night.
Michelle
This book is for your little one who won't go to bed! I don't particularly care for the illustrations (artist's style) but the story is funny and wonderful!
Jessie
My ABSOLUTE FAVORITE book to read aloud in story time. Gets laughs every time...but you have to use voices.
Highly recommend it for any preschooler/toddler!
Paula Decaria
One of my all time favorite books (thanks Mom and Dad for being such good storytellers, it makes all the difference when reading this book).
Adam
Grandma gave us this book. It's great for times when you want a book that gets kids making lots of noise. This book will not keep kids quiet.
RPBYS
Great read-aloud for 4-6's. A little on the long side but dramatic animal noises keep attention drawn in for all but the most rambunctious crowd.
Molly
Read this with There is a Bird on Your Head for National Bird Feeding Month storytime. HUGE hit! It's great fun to read the bird's vocalizations!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Clip-Clop
  • Wow! Said the Owl
  • Come Along, Daisy!
  • Penguin
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Katie Loves the Kittens
  • What! Cried Granny
  • Big Smelly Bear
  • The Seals on the Bus
  • What Do You Do When Something Wants To Eat You?
  • Five Little Monkeys Sitting in a Tree
  • Mushroom in the Rain
  • Dog's Colorful Day: A Messy Story About Colors and Counting
  • If I Were a Jungle Animal
Sloth's Birthday Party (Weekly Reader Children's Book Club edition) Good Neighbors Brave Brush-Tail Possum The Lion's Bed Chameleon Was A Spy