Start by marking “Introducing Jung” as Want to Read:
Introducing Jung

Introducing Jung (Introducing Series)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  308 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Brilliantly explains how Jung broke away from Freud, and describes his own near-psychotic breakdown, a night-sea voyage from which he emerged with new insights into the unconscious mind.
Paperback, Second Edition, 176 pages
Published December 15th 2000 by Totem Books (first published March 16th 1990)

Mikael Lind
I'm not an expert on Jung, but I've read some opinions of readers who feel that Maggie Hyde focuses too much on Jung's mystic side. Can't say if it's true or not, but for someone like me who has long been almost a scientific rationalist, the views expressed in this book are fascinating and challenging. I'm not convinced, but this little, nicely illustrated introduction to Jung made me think outside of the box. A decent read; you can read it in a day or two! (Well worth reading again, also...)
 Lio  Proeliator
كتاب لطيف للّي معندوش فكرة، الرسومات لطيفة، الترجمة ساذجة بأخطاء إملائية وطباعية عبيطة، بس بشكل عام الكتاب يتقري ومفيد..
Karensa
confused.com

I was expecting a kind of Jung for beginners but this was not it. For me it wasn't fluid, it seemed to jump from topic to topic and the comic book style didn't help either. It left me confused and feeling like I have to start again.

It touches on many elements, but there was too much jargon.
David Johnson
I'll have nightmares for months where my Anima tries to eat my Animus...no wait, its got to be your bull.

Seriously though, Jung lost me with the alchemist theories of the unification of the soul. Most everything else was fascinating.
Mizuki
The artwork is nice, and it explains a lot of Jung's theories, and now I know Jung mixed a lot of spiritualism stuff into his theories and the man is in fact more like shaman than a scientist. LOL
Mark Lacy
Book wasn't bad; illustrations/cartoons were appreciated. But Jung's whole body of work seems like "hooey" to me. What would make us think that he has things any more right than anyone else? His theories seem complicated, and I don't know how useful they really are in practice. I know that there are many "Jungian" analysts, and therefore many Jungian "analysands." But does this stuff really work? Why? Because of my lack of background in psychology, I'm not qualified, by any stretch of the imagin ...more
Amber
I have been interested in Jung since first reading "Modern Man In Search of a Soul" back in high school, a good twelve years ago now. I had hoped this book would serve as a) a refresher course on Jung and b) a guide into some of his other work including his later work on synchronicity.

This series usually doesn't disappoint (disclosure - I own about 15 books from the "Introducing.." series!!) and I loved the oddball illustrations and easy-to-read mix of biography, theory, and humour. I did learn
Realini
Introducing Jung by Maggie Hyde and Michael McGuiness

Surprise! I thought the book is going to be easy, even took it at the sauna…If the first part, biographical details, the drawings are an obviously a cakewalk. But some of Jung’s concepts are harder to take in, especially in an overheated room.

To add a degree of separation, the psychology books I have read recently made me prejudiced. The modern view seems to be that both Freud and Jung are “history”. Indeed, Jung separated himself from Freud’s
Pavel Dolecek
As someone who knew almost nothing about Jung, the book was really hard to understand and confusing to me... After reading few wiki articles and documentary about Jung, the book made sense. But as the introduction to Jung, the book is as confusing as Jung himself.
Princess Becca
A bit too obscure to my liking – but that's probably the subject matter's fault, and not the author's. There were definitely some very interesting tidbits of information, and certain theories of Jung's intrigued me, but I couldn't always agree with what he was taking as given and that acted as a barrier to my understanding. Otherwise, the book combined his biography and work in an efficient way, and probably isn't a bad starting point for studying Jung.
Stephen
With everything I read about Jung, I find it more and more interesting that he even existed and wasn't in fact some fictional character.

I believe in 100 years, we'll look back at things he figured out and are suspect of today and say 'well, duh'.. That's how far ahead of his time I think he was.

That being said, this book goes from inventive and informative history on him straight to his craziest and more abnormal theories. It really doesn't spend a lot of time on what I think are his most mainst
Pinar
Jung'u bilmedigim icin bu introduction kitabini okudum ama pek de faydali olmadi
Jeejy
เราอ่าน แต่เราไม่ค่อยเข้าใจจุงเท่าไหร่ หลัง ๆ
เรื่องการเชื่อมโยง มิติทางวิญญาณ กับการเล่นแร่แปรธาตุเท่าไหร่
แต่ก็เข้าใจว่าแนวคิดเรื่องการ
เชื่อมโยง แท้จริงแล้วทุกยิ่ง นั้นก็เกี่ยวโยงหากันไม่ว่าทางใดก็ทางหนึ่ง

ซึ่ง สิ่งนั้น(ที่เป็นอะไรก็ได้)จะช่วยให้เรา หลุดพ้นจากสภาวะ แห่งการไม่รู้ตัวไปได้
และช่วยเยียวยาในแต่ละกรณีไป

ซึ่งอยู่ที่ตัวผู้รักษา และผู้ถูกรักษาจะสามารถคลี่คลายมันได้หรือเปล่า

สมองมนุษย์นั้นเข้าใจยากเนอะ...
Josh
Jung was a freaky mo-fo. And while I'm not audacious enough to say I entirely understand everywhere he's coming from, and his whole school of thought, I will say I'm way into it.

This was a great book that helped walk me through his life, his thoughts, and his work with excellent use of visual aids and engaging prose.

Chalk up another hit to the Introducing series. Buy em' all and you practically don't need college.
Matthew
The book is an excellent introduction to (or review of) the thoughts of Carl Jung (as well as a biography of the man). The book comes from a series of text-paired-with-images books that serve as “introductions” to key thinkers. The book (and the series) is recommended to anyone who feels a need to be introduced to or have a review of the ideas of this important, if controversial, 20th-century thinker.
Travis Mueller
A nice overview of Jung's life and ideas. I felt the presentation was a bit too credulous, like Jung's ideas were absolute truth rather than the interesting and creative system of belief they seem to be. Also, I wonder if it could have made better use of the graphic medium. It came off mostly as factual text with illustrations, rather than a true blending of art and words.
Whatsupchuck
I had bought a Jung overview text book just before discovering this gem at the Library.

Considering reselling the text book and picking this up for keeps (along with others in the 'Introducing' series.

A great overview, quirky illustrations, and humorous anecdotes fill the pages.
Rebeccameder
Boy, he is not at all what I expected him to be. Very involved with pseudo psychology and paranormal. I'm surprised that my favorite personality typing system (Myers Briggs) was able to draw anything coherently sensible from his work on which to build their system.
Aziz Krich
A decent overview of Jung's psychology and philosophy. Touching on elements from alchemy to synchronicity and the famous archetypes.

I've read clearer 'graphic guides', but its difficult to go wrong here, especially if you are looking for a basic introduction.
Jason
Not terribly deep, and conspicuously missing any information about the Red Book, but nonetheless an enjoyable and informative introduction. I am currently trying to immerse myself in Jung's work, and this serves nicely as an appetizer. Plus, I quite liked the art.
Ross
Lightweight primer to very few of the subjects Jung put forth. Little bit of biography too. Entertaining, but not much meat to it, read this if you want to see if you know absolutely nothing about the man,
Emma
Dense, helpful, but would have been more useful to have taken more time/space to explain some of Jung's concepts. The brevity of some sections decreases the clarity. Parts of it really lost me.
Rylan Perrott
The Second book I have read from the "Introducing series" Yet again the wacky illustrations adds character to the book and are helpful in understanding a difficult subject.
Karina
Really dense. For some reason, I thought it would be easier to read because it was a graphic novel.
Andy
Not sure why but couldn't get into the cartoon style of this book.
All the Graphic Guide series is fun stuff.
Geoff
Used this to refresh a bit before teaching a mini course on Analytical Psych to middle schoolers. It's really comprehensive and clear. The illustrations are excellent as well.
Eric
Ah. Comic Books.
Peter
Peter marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
  • Introducing Sartre (Introducing)
  • Introducing Baudrillard (Introducing)
  • Introducing Lacan (Introducing)
  • Introducing Nietzsche (Introducing...)
  • Introducing Hegel (Introducing)
  • Introducing Buddha (Introducing)
  • Freud for Beginners
  • Introducing Derrida
  • Introducing Psychology
  • Introducing Machiavelli (Introducing...(Totem))
  • Introducing Kant (Introducing)
  • Introducing Consciousness (Introducing... S.)
  • Introducing Wittgenstein
  • Chaos for Beginners
  • Nietzsche For Beginners
  • Introducing Stephen Hawking
  • Introducing Time (Introducing (Icon))
  • Introducing Marquis De Sade

Introducing Series (1 - 10 of 124 books)
  • Introducing Aesthetics
  • Introducing Anthropology (Introducing)
  • Introducing Aristotle
  • Introducing Barthes: A Graphic Guide
  • Introducing Baudrillard (Introducing)
  • Introducing Buddha (Introducing)
  • Introducing Capitalism: A Graphic Guide
  • Chaos for Beginners
  • Introducing Consciousness (Introducing... S.)
  • Introducing Critical Theory
Jung Jung And Astrology Introducing Astrology (Introducing...(Totem)) اقدم لك ... يونج Step Owned (BWWM Interracial Taboo Menage Erotic Romance)