Start by marking “Introducing Jung” as Want to Read:
Introducing Jung

Introducing Jung

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  422 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Brilliantly explains how Jung broke away from Freud, and describes his own near-psychotic breakdown, a night-sea voyage from which he emerged with new insights into the unconscious mind.
Paperback, Second Edition, 176 pages
Published December 15th 2000 by Totem Books (first published 1992)

Mahdi
خلاصه ای از زندگی و نظریات روانشناس برجسته ی قرن بیستم، کارل گوستاو یونگ. کار عجیب کتاب، استفاده از نقاشی های فراوان و حالت شبه کمیکی اون بود، هر چند به علت درک نادرست نقاش و نویسنده از کمیک، نقاشی ها بیشتر گیج کننده بودن و در بهترین حالت، صرفاً ابزاری برای پر کردن صفحات.
بخش هایی از نظریات یونگ، اون قدرها ساده نشده بود که برای مبتدیان قابل فهم باشه، و بعید میدونم که دانشجویان روانشناسی به این کتاب پر از نقاشی رجوع کنن. در نتیجه، از طرف خوانندگان حرفه ای و غیر حرفه ای به یک اندازه مطروده.

جالب تری
Mikael Lind
Sep 25, 2012 Mikael Lind rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology, biography
I'm not an expert on Jung, but I've read some opinions of readers who feel that Maggie Hyde focuses too much on Jung's mystic side. Can't say if it's true or not, but for someone like me who has long been almost a scientific rationalist, the views expressed in this book are fascinating and challenging. I'm not convinced, but this little, nicely illustrated introduction to Jung made me think outside of the box. A decent read; you can read it in a day or two! (Well worth reading again, also...)
Lio
Nov 01, 2012 Lio rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
كتاب لطيف للّي معندوش فكرة، الرسومات لطيفة، الترجمة ساذجة بأخطاء إملائية وطباعية عبيطة، بس بشكل عام الكتاب يتقري ومفيد..
Mark Lacy
Feb 10, 2014 Mark Lacy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
Book wasn't bad; illustrations/cartoons were appreciated. But Jung's whole body of work seems like "hooey" to me. What would make us think that he has things any more right than anyone else? His theories seem complicated, and I don't know how useful they really are in practice. I know that there are many "Jungian" analysts, and therefore many Jungian "analysands." But does this stuff really work? Why? Because of my lack of background in psychology, I'm not qualified, by any stretch of the imagin ...more
Karensa
Jun 10, 2012 Karensa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
confused.com

I was expecting a kind of Jung for beginners but this was not it. For me it wasn't fluid, it seemed to jump from topic to topic and the comic book style didn't help either. It left me confused and feeling like I have to start again.

It touches on many elements, but there was too much jargon.
Pavel Dolecek
As someone who knew almost nothing about Jung, the book was really hard to understand and confusing to me... After reading few wiki articles and documentary about Jung, the book made sense. But as the introduction to Jung, the book is as confusing as Jung himself.
David J.
Mar 29, 2011 David J. rated it liked it
I'll have nightmares for months where my Anima tries to eat my Animus...no wait, its got to be your bull.

Seriously though, Jung lost me with the alchemist theories of the unification of the soul. Most everything else was fascinating.
Mizuki
Apr 30, 2014 Mizuki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, pretty-good
The artwork is nice, and it explains a lot of Jung's theories, and now I know Jung mixed a lot of spiritualism stuff into his theories and the man is in fact more like shaman than a scientist. LOL
Sylphær
Jul 31, 2015 Sylphær rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Friend and friends.
Recommended to Sylphær by: myself.
Introducing Jung provides me with all the main ideas of Jung's analytical psychology: ego, shadow, persona, anima/animus, archetypes, psychological types, four functions, dreams and symbols, etc.

Both Freud and Jung had given us a gift to understand the unconscious. Jung went further to include the spiritual into the unconscious. He accepts the idea of the 'soul' in this regard. However the idea of a 'soul' and the unconscious (personal and collective unconscious) was the issue, the search for ou
Amber
Jun 22, 2011 Amber rated it liked it
I have been interested in Jung since first reading "Modern Man In Search of a Soul" back in high school, a good twelve years ago now. I had hoped this book would serve as a) a refresher course on Jung and b) a guide into some of his other work including his later work on synchronicity.

This series usually doesn't disappoint (disclosure - I own about 15 books from the "Introducing.." series!!) and I loved the oddball illustrations and easy-to-read mix of biography, theory, and humour. I did learn
Realini
Aug 02, 2013 Realini rated it really liked it
Introducing Jung by Maggie Hyde and Michael McGuiness

Surprise! I thought the book is going to be easy, even took it at the sauna…If the first part, biographical details, the drawings are an obviously a cakewalk. But some of Jung’s concepts are harder to take in, especially in an overheated room.

To add a degree of separation, the psychology books I have read recently made me prejudiced. The modern view seems to be that both Freud and Jung are “history”. Indeed, Jung separated himself from Freud’s
Cass Weber
Feb 21, 2016 Cass Weber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very well presented/illustrated, very easy to understand and follow through given Jung's sometimes odd ideas. It's the perfect way to start getting to know Jung and get a glimpse of his work without getting lost in terminologies, names, dates & whatnot!
Princess Becca
A bit too obscure to my liking – but that's probably the subject matter's fault, and not the author's. There were definitely some very interesting tidbits of information, and certain theories of Jung's intrigued me, but I couldn't always agree with what he was taking as given and that acted as a barrier to my understanding. Otherwise, the book combined his biography and work in an efficient way, and probably isn't a bad starting point for studying Jung.
Pili
May 25, 2016 Pili rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting and fun way of learning about Jung.
Looking forward to more books of this sort, the illustrations are very funny!
Roger Buck
A little comic-book introduction to Jung. And of course Jung cannot be reduced to a comic book! So this is inherently flawed and superficial, but it helped me when I began therapy with a Jungian.

A strictly personal note: Many years later now, I see I placed too much faith in Jung. It is not that I doubt his genius, it is that my hope for healing the human psyche can no longer be confined to all he did. So today I do question all the Jungian therapy I had, for reasons evidenced here at my website
Essam Munir
May 28, 2015 Essam Munir rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology, biography
من اروع كتب علم النفس.... تمر عليك اجزاء تفهمها، اجزاء تقف مدهوشاً امامها، واخرى لا تفهمها ولكن هذا هو جمال علم النفس ^^
Stephen
Aug 26, 2012 Stephen rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology
With everything I read about Jung, I find it more and more interesting that he even existed and wasn't in fact some fictional character.

I believe in 100 years, we'll look back at things he figured out and are suspect of today and say 'well, duh'.. That's how far ahead of his time I think he was.

That being said, this book goes from inventive and informative history on him straight to his craziest and more abnormal theories. It really doesn't spend a lot of time on what I think are his most mainst
Pinar
Nov 03, 2014 Pinar rated it liked it
Jung'u bilmedigim icin bu introduction kitabini okudum ama pek de faydali olmadi
Samiam
Feb 22, 2016 Samiam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Visions lead me through.
Britt Freeman
May 26, 2015 Britt Freeman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
not a bad introduction. i love this series. man Jung got really out there later in life.
Griim Reeaper
Una biografía muy modesta y divertida de Jung. Esta bonita obra te dara un sumario de los acontecimientos mas importantes de su vida y de como influyeron en su pensamiento. También te dara las herramientas basicas para empezar a leer sus obras, conceptos muy importantes de su psicología analítica se tratan aquí como el arquetipo, la funcion trascendente, etc. Especialmente recomendable para aquellos que apenas se quieren introducir a su pensamiento.
Pru Saimoun

ซึงอยูทีตัวผูรักษา และผูถูกรักษาจะสามารถคลีคลายมันไดหรือเปลา

สมองมนุษยนันเขาใจยากเนอะ...
Josh
Dec 28, 2008 Josh rated it really liked it
Jung was a freaky mo-fo. And while I'm not audacious enough to say I entirely understand everywhere he's coming from, and his whole school of thought, I will say I'm way into it.

This was a great book that helped walk me through his life, his thoughts, and his work with excellent use of visual aids and engaging prose.

Chalk up another hit to the Introducing series. Buy em' all and you practically don't need college.
Matthew
May 30, 2012 Matthew rated it really liked it
The book is an excellent introduction to (or review of) the thoughts of Carl Jung (as well as a biography of the man). The book comes from a series of text-paired-with-images books that serve as “introductions” to key thinkers. The book (and the series) is recommended to anyone who feels a need to be introduced to or have a review of the ideas of this important, if controversial, 20th-century thinker.
Travis Mueller
A nice overview of Jung's life and ideas. I felt the presentation was a bit too credulous, like Jung's ideas were absolute truth rather than the interesting and creative system of belief they seem to be. Also, I wonder if it could have made better use of the graphic medium. It came off mostly as factual text with illustrations, rather than a true blending of art and words.
_topo_
Nov 16, 2010 _topo_ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La migliore introduzione a Jung resta la sua autobiografia.

Questo libro riepiloga abbastanza bene il suo pensiero e i disegni sono decisamente suggestivi. Tuttavia, se letto da solo, potrebbe far pensare, come si vede in un commento, che Jung sia una persona poco equilibrata.
Whatsupchuck
Jul 05, 2013 Whatsupchuck rated it really liked it
I had bought a Jung overview text book just before discovering this gem at the Library.

Considering reselling the text book and picking this up for keeps (along with others in the 'Introducing' series.

A great overview, quirky illustrations, and humorous anecdotes fill the pages.
Rebeccameder
Aug 02, 2011 Rebeccameder rated it did not like it
Boy, he is not at all what I expected him to be. Very involved with pseudo psychology and paranormal. I'm surprised that my favorite personality typing system (Myers Briggs) was able to draw anything coherently sensible from his work on which to build their system.
Aziz Krich
Nov 29, 2009 Aziz Krich rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
A decent overview of Jung's psychology and philosophy. Touching on elements from alchemy to synchronicity and the famous archetypes.

I've read clearer 'graphic guides', but its difficult to go wrong here, especially if you are looking for a basic introduction.
  • Introducing Sartre (Introducing)
  • Introducing Buddha (Introducing)
  • Freud for Beginners
  • Introducing Nietzsche (Introducing...)
  • Introducing Baudrillard (Introducing)
  • Introducing Consciousness (Introducing... S.)
  • Introducing Derrida
  • Introducing Lacan (Introducing)
  • Introducing Wittgenstein
  • Introducing Hegel (Introducing)
  • Introducing Camus
  • Introducing Cultural Studies
  • Psychology: A Graphic Guide to Your Mind & Behaviour
  • Introducing Machiavelli (Introducing...(Totem))
  • Introducing Genetics, New Edition (Introducing (Icon))
  • Introducing Evolutionary Psychology
  • Introducing Quantum Theory
  • Introducing Anthropology (Introducing)