Start by marking “When She Was Bad” as Want to Read:
When She Was Bad

When She Was Bad (E.L. Pender #4)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  492 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Lily deVries suffers from dissociative identity disorder, which means that her mind has fragmented into different personalities. One of those personalities is Lilith, the violent psychopath. When Lilith meets Max, a fellow sufferer, it's up to ex-FBI Agent Pender to track them down and prevent a carnage beyond imagining.
Published 2008 by Pocket (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about When She Was Bad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When She Was Bad

Kim
This book is a genius masterpiece!
Eva
Unlike anything I have read. I didn't realize it was part of a small series, I am reading them over from the beginning. Definitely a different kind of thriller.
Cindy
Nasaw is back to his (good) old tricks with this one. Great look into the world of multiple personalities. Ulysses is back in this one.
Lori Strode
This book is a very short read, I managed to finish it in about a day, and that was a work day, too. The plot was very interesting, if not a bit cliched in parts. I enjoyed the descriptive narrative, and also enjoyed the fact that it wasn't as relentless as the prequel. I found that it spluttered and sort of crawled it's way to a finish, however. I wouldn't read this again, but I appreciate what the author was trying to put out. Also, E.L Pender's segments were once again boring, and just seemed ...more
Manda
Let me say... This was my first Jonathan Nasaw book. I was wandering through the library, looking for something different and new. Needless to say, I was missing a little of the story, as this is the sequel to The Girls He Adored but it worked well enough as a stand alone.

Everything starts simply enough-- We're introduced to Lily DeVries, your typical 17 year old girl. Apart from the brutal abuse that she suffered as a child, which in turn caused her to develop Dissociative Identity Disorder or
Levian
Lyssy and Lily were both diagnosed with Multiple Personality Disorder. Lyssy was sent to the mental institution where Dr. Al took a whole new approach of electrocution to subside the multiple personality in his patients. a few years had passed since Lyssy's other personality surfaced, Dr. Al was eager to announce his successful approach. but at the same time, Lily was sent into the institution by psychiatrist Irene and FBI agent Pender. Irene was Lyssy's last victim in The Girls He Adored (2001) ...more
Victoria
Oh, I enjoyed this book quite a bit! It was a very fast read, and it made for a rather happy ending for everyone involved - which was nice, since though it’s the fourth installment in the E. L. Pender series, it actually functions as a direct sequel to the first book in the series, The Girls He Adored. Nearly all of the characters reappear here. Though, I was a little disappointed for Max's fate - he was a pretty charming (and very disturbing) killer in the first book... also, the end of this on ...more
Karen
Oct 22, 2008 Karen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Karen by: $5 On-Line Steals from Barnes & Noble
I didn't realize that this book was part of a series, which explained some of the holes left in it. All in all, as this is not my normal genre (I gleaned this one from the $5 Barnes & Noble Bargain Bookshelf), I was surprised how it captured my interest. The multiple personalities angle to the book really kept it interesting and made it more than just a book about serial killing. I really enjoyed it and am going to go back and read more in the series... particularly, "The Girls He Adored" as ...more
Megan Hodges
Amusing, as the two DID characters flashed between their alters, but a bit superficial. The alters were too functional, so it made the whole story a bit unbelievable. Good thriller tho.
Jenn
Dec 06, 2008 Jenn rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: SS lovers (maybe)
Those who know me know I absolutely LURVE the sick stuff. For me, Nasaw was always one of the good guys at sloshing out the sick stuff. This one....not so much.

An interesting tale of Max the psycho killer coming back to take care of the psychologist lady. (See, I can't even remember her name!) It was neat that they brought in a new playmate for Lyssy/Max. Not sure I liked the DID theme though, as I always think of Sybil and wonder why they needed to change the name of multiple personality disord
Darcia Helle
Ulysses and Lilly, two people suffering with multiple personality disorder, fall in love. This story starts there and goes full tilt until the very end. One personality is a serial killer, another a hard-edged biker babe unafraid to kill. Then there's the sweet, naive man-child and the trusting, hopeful young woman. Personalities fight for dominance and the good and bad guy are all wrapped up in one package.

Nasaw is an excellent writer. He tackles a fascinating subject with sizzling suspense th
saradevil
One of those, What the fuck did I just read? Sort of books. Not overwhelmingly bad, but not really great either.
Ashlee Tidwell
I was honestly shocked when I looked at other's reviews of this book. Most I was were 4-5 stars and when I saw that my jaw literally dropped. This is one of the, dumbest, for lack of a better and more mature word, book I have ever bothered reading. The book has no plot other than escape, kill, escape, kill...so on and so forth. It's ridiculous to say this book even has merit. I know we are each entitled to our own opinions, but my god - 5 stars??? Are you kidding me?
Kay
Jonathan Nasaw is one of the most underrated writers that I read. His stories always captivate me and are of the ‘don’t want to put this one down’ variety. It’s difficult to find his books and it took me 2 years to locate a copy of this one. After searching the library, bookstore, used bookstores in 2 states I finally broke down and bought it off Ebay. It did not disappoint!
I have read all his psycho books but did not read any of his earlier vampire books.
Genaphur
I love Jonathan Nasaw and I can't remember what it was that made me put this book down for awhile but sometimes when I split a book I'm reading into two different reading times I end up losing something out of it. So I might have rated this book higher if I had read it all at once but I'm just glad I got around to finishing it instead of forgetting all about it.
Lyra
I'm a bit uncomfortable with a 5 star review but I have no choice. This was a twisted story of two serial killers with multiple personalities. Excellent writing took a horrific tale of abuse and lots of sick violence and made this a page turner with heart.
Nancy
My mom had this from the library and because I forgot my book when I went home to visit, I picked this up. Really liked the premise, but at times it was a little more than I could stand... kind of over the top. The best part, though, was that it taught me a TON of new words, like "saturnine". Kind of a Sybil for modern times.
I enjoyed reading this book and found it interesting to follow the different personalities of the two main characters. How interesting that they could actually fake their other personalities, very clever. I did not know until reading the other reviews that there was a book about Max before this one, but I will pick it up!
Lisa
This plot line had so much potential and then, tragically, ended up being so boring. Most of the multiple personalities were 'killed off' before ever actually making an appearance in the book. In fact, the back story for the one character was the most interesting part and probably would make for a better book.
Amandahomsher
this was an okay book, it was a quick read, the only problem I had with this book is sometimes they are not clear at first which of the characters "personalities" they are talking from. I found myself wondering a few times who it was and in some cases the only way to find out is to keep reading.
Autumn
The premise is great and the plot isn't bad, but the writing is so boiled it hits my ears like chunks of overcooked pork. Like the author was actually throwing chunks of boiled pig at my head. I read more than 2/3 of the novel before giving up, so I'm counting this as a read book.
William
A little rough in places. Story about man and women with multi personalities. Very violent in parts, but somewhat interesting. Definitely a thriller.
I would not recommend unless you are into that kind of thing. Somewhat contrived, but quick read.
Tabitha
I only have a couple of chapters left in this book to read. Overall, it's a pretty good read... just a little slow at some parts. Great story/crime plot though, I enjoyed learning more about disassociate identity disorder.
Shannon
I enjoyed reading the second part of Max's story, but for whatever reason this was just not a page turner for me. I couldn't put the first one down and this one seemed to lag for me. It is still an interesting read though.
Heather
I liked the idea of this book and I got it mostly because of the DID content. It was good, but I think it fell short in actually discussing the characters' mental problems. There was so much more that could have been done.
Toby
I loved it. The perfect combination of a character drama and suspense thriller. The characters and alters were integral in the telling of the dark story. Plus even though it's fiction, I learned a lot about D.I.D.
Joy
just started it. so far very good. one of the best books I have read in a while. liked the charactors even the evil ones. I am going to look for other books by this guy
Ashley Kannenberg
best words for this book are CRAZY SHIT! because that is exactly what it is i must say i hope i never run into anyone with this frame of mind
Aina
Somewhat lacklustre and predictable compared to the previous books in this series, but still packs a punch especially the ending.
Beth
Ok thriller about 2 characters with multiple personality disorders who escape from a hospital & are being chased by their psychiatrists!
  • Undone
  • Der Trakt
  • The Death Collectors (Carson Ryder, #2)
  • Precious Blood
  • Die Totengräberin
  • Badlands (Jessica Balzano & Kevin Byrne, #4)
  • Darkhouse
  • Die Reinheit des Todes (Julius Kern, #1)
  • Alfred Hitchcock's Spellbinders in Suspense
  • The Girls with Games of Blood
  • Unspoken
  • The Face of Death (Smoky Barrett, #2)
  • The Last Witness
  • In Dark Places
  • Psychopath (Frank Clevenger, #4)
  • The Secret Gospel of Mary Magdalene
  • Blood Moon (Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
Jonathan Nasaw is the acclaimed author of Fear Itself and The Girls He Adored, both Literary Guild Selections. He lives in Pacific Grove, California.

Series:
* E.L. Pender
* James Whistler
More about Jonathan Nasaw...

E.L. Pender (5 books)
  • The Girls He Adored
  • Fear Itself
  • Twenty Seven Bones
  • The Boys from Santa Cruz
The Girls He Adored Fear Itself Twenty Seven Bones The World on Blood The Boys from Santa Cruz

“The little office, scarcely large enough to contain Dr. Irene’s desk at one end and the couch at the other, held a world of memories for Lily. Here, fifty minutes at a time, two or three times a week, she’d spilled out her hopes and fears, her childhood nightmares and adolescent insecurities – in a sense, she’d grown up in this room.” 3 likes