Fear Itself

Fear Itself (E.L. Pender #2)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  501 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Injecting fresh potency into the phrase "scared to death," the wickedly talented author of The Girls He Adored has delivered a spine-chilling follow-up, introducing an unforgettable villain who confronts his victims with their phobias.

The charmingly disheveled FBI Special Agent E.L. Pender is strapping on his nonregulation calfskin shoulder holster one last time on his l

Published January 1st 2003 by Pocket Books (first published December 31st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Fear Itself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fear Itself

Jess
I was incredibly disappointed with the way this book was written. The plot was such a great idea and the events stunning but every character just knew what to do in order to sort out the problem. They didn't need any clues and there was absolutely no suspense, apart from maybe the first few pages. After that it was predictable, boring but I wanted to know if it would get better. Some authors do this to mislead the reader but this book was just one big blur of disappointment. I have read other bo...more
Sandra Jones
I really love his books, but they seem very hard to find....
chucklesthescot
I don't like crime novels but I did actually enjoy this one! A series of murders are taking place and the common link is that the victims all are phobics who are murdered using the methods that most frightens them. At first it looks like suicides but then the victims are all traced to a phobia conference that they all attended.

Investigating the case is Linda Abruzzi, an FBI agent trying to hide her own medical problems and semi-retired agent Pender who decides to break the rules to catch the ki...more
Levian
just a few days before retirement, FBI agent Pender received a letter from Dorie, mentioning some unlikely deaths of people like her, who attended conference for suffering a variety of phobias. however, these deaths seemed strange, not some random suicides as they appeared to be - a man afraid of heights fell nineteen stories to his death, a woman terrified of blood was found with her wrists slashed. now that her friend Wayne missed their appointment, Dorie was afraid that the killer was coming...more
Lee Ann Horner
I enjoyed this book.The idea of someone exploiting the phobias of others is not new but is utilised well here.
Jennifer Lauren Collins
Jonathan Nasaw has always had a way of sucking me in to each story he tells, and this one was no different. Perfect dialogue, an entertaining story with just enough twists, engaging characters, a believable trajectory...overall, this was everything I could really ask for in a crime novel, and I loved every minute.

As ever, Nasaw is a clever and entertaining writer, and I'd recommend him to anyone who just wants to escape into a good suspense/crime story, at times horrific, and at times just funny...more
Barbara ★
This wasn't one of my favorites by this author. In the beginning, I enjoyed the mystery right up until the FBI figured out who the murderer was. Then the chase was on but the story dragged and was rather boring. I liked FBI agent Linda Abruzzi but wasn't all that enamored of E.L. Pender (the semi-retired agent). The murderer was a total freak but he really loved his Down Syndrome sister which was sweet but surprising in such a grisly murderer.
Shiela
Not nearly as good as the first in the series. The psychology aspect of it was okay (it was phenomenal in "Girls he Adored"), E. L. Pender's character was kind of annoying as was his romantic relationship, and the pacing wasn't nearly as fast as thriller ought to be, especially the procedural parts of it. Will continue reading the series just because I loved his first book so much, hopefully it'll pick up.
Angie
In some ways, this book reminded me of the "Saw" movies. Take a person's greatest fear and use it against them. Not exactly a novel idea, but in the mind of Jonathan Nasaw, it becomes horrific and terrifying. The twists and turns kept me guessing all the way to the end - and made it a quick read. What do you have to fear, after all, but Fear Itself? (Cheesy, I know, but I couldn't resist!)
Janie
Really good thriller! I have MS was particularly interested in this story as one of the main characters has MS and trying to perform her duties while struggling with the ups and downs of this disease. The book is really good at delving into the characters and getting you involved in why they do or don't do certain things. Really good read!
Kimmi
After The Girls He Adored, it was a little bit of a let down, but it is hard to follow a great book. I believe that if I had read it before I would have liked the book more. My expectations were great. Having said all of that, the book was hard to put down and a fast read. Looking forward to more from Nasaw.
David
"The Boys from Santa Cruz" introduced me to Nasaw, and I wish I had started reading his books chronologically to learn more about his protagonist, FBI Special Agent Pender.

Anyway, these are good, solid thrillers, fit for airport or beach reading by anyone, anytime. Nothing profound here, but entertaining.
Gabrielle
I am so glad to be done with this. It was so boring. I do love the idea of it because it's clever and I haven't heard of someone else doing it before. I didn't really like the first book of the series but I read this one anyway because I owned it for a long time. I will not be continuing on in the series.
Barbara
A friend of mine recommended I read this book recently cause she really enjoyed it and had it sitting on her book shelf, so she lend it to me and I am happy that she did. I really loved the premise of the book, it was very interesting and I found the book to be a great read, I really enjoyed this book.
Nicole Krubski
Even better than the first one! Enjoyed this and creeped myself out. A psycho who kills by using your fears against you. Opening page is a guy afraid of birds - almost wet myself
Jude
I learned a lot of phobia names here, and my, could use each for an advantage, but this guy seriously had a knack for taking it to a greater "advantage". He's got quite a past too.
Ricardo
It was entertaining although the credibility factor was extremely low. The plot relied too much on "luck" to make things work out. Not a bad book but nothing that stood out either
Eva
Very good book, different from what I usually read. Not as good as The girls he adored or even When she was bad, but still can hold its own.
Kaylol
The characters are excellently portrayed. It's good. Read it if you haven't!
Lauren
Your standard thriller type novel. An incredibly engrossing, quick read.
Viccy
This was a reasonably good psychological thriller. I will read more by Nasaw.
Vanillahugz
I wish he could write faster so I wouldn't have to wait between books !!
Geralyn Gonos Robinson
Again, a psychological thriller. Johnathan Nasaw knows how to scare you!
Tracey
Jun 14, 2012 Tracey rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: loni watkins and susanne pattison
Johnathan Nasaw is now one of my favorite authors. Great suspence thrillers!
Rivella
war so ekelhaft, dass mir beim lesen an einer stelle übel wurde
Emma Pearce
I really enjoyed the story and also Pender is a great character.
Stephanie
Loved this book....gave me nightmares for whatever reason....
Kay
Nasaw is as good with psychopathics as King is with his characters.
Nicole
Not a big horror fan but I truely enjoyed this book.
Linda  Branham Greenwell
A retired FBI agent pulled into a situation from her past
  • The Dead Room (Darby McCormick #3)
  • The Cleaner: A Thriller
  • Midnight Cab
  • The Skin Gods
  • Psychopath (Frank Clevenger, #4)
  • The Tunnels (Kelly Jones Mysteries, #1)
  • Am Abgrund (Die Chronik der Unsterblichen, #1)
  • The Hundredth Man (Carson Ryder, #1)
  • Wer Wind sät (Bodenstein & Kirchhoff, #5)
  • Judas Kiss (Taylor Jackson, #3)
  • Menschenkind (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #7)
  • Web of Deceit
  • Amokspiel
  • The Treatment (Jack Caffery, #2)
  • The Bone Parade
Jonathan Nasaw is the acclaimed author of Fear Itself and The Girls He Adored, both Literary Guild Selections. He lives in Pacific Grove, California.

Series:
* E.L. Pender
* James Whistler
More about Jonathan Nasaw...
The Girls He Adored When She Was Bad Twenty Seven Bones The World on Blood The Boys from Santa Cruz