Blank-133x176

Scott Sigler

Earthcore

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  1,894 ratings  ·  81 reviews
ebook
Published December 1st 2001 by iPublish.com (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Earthcore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Earthcore

Jeremy
Feb 11, 2008 Jeremy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My fans and anyone who likes a fast-paced, fun thriller
Recommended to Jeremy by: The Author, Scott Sigler
Man, I'm glad I snagged a copy of this book before it became unavailable. Scott Sigler is a friend and Crown recently scooped all of his books, including this gem. The good news there is that we'll probably see it again, the bad news is that it's no longer in print...for now.

BUT, when it comes back in print, it's well worth reading. It's a subterrainean thriller, which I'm, for some reason, drawn to (my favorite novel is The Descent). Earthcore is fun, inteligent and scary. Three nights in a ro...more
Tammy ~NovelOpinion
2.5

Book Summary:
Deep below a desolate Utah mountain lies the largest platinum deposit ever discovered. A billion-dollar find, it waits for any company that can drill a world's record, three-mile-deep mine shaft. EarthCore is the company with the technology, the resources and the guts to go after the mother lode. Young executive Connell Kirkland is the company's driving force, pushing himself and those around him to uncover the massive treasure. But at three miles below the surface, where the ro...more
Ruthie Jones
Feb 01, 2011 Ruthie Jones rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ruthie by: John Miller
I really like this author. Earthcore is fantastic. Sigler definitely doesn't follow the same or similar path that other sci-fi writers follow. His subjects/concepts are so unique and fresh that they keep the reader interested and guessing the whole way through. Earthcore also has that anthropological element that makes me love this book even more. Anything I say about the plot will be a spoiler, so I will just say that this book is well worth it, and it's certainly action movie-worthy. I have al...more
Jer
I listened to this when it was the first-ever podcast-only novel. It was awesome.

I suspect that it's just as awesome as a novel-novel.
Robin
Set in Utah, very cool! A real page-turner! I think it'd make a great movie.
Rechan Rechan
I picked this up expecting it to be a big monster chasing people around in tunnels, and instead it involved a bit more espionage and a whole race of creatures and technology. It's not very bad, but it's not particularly good, either; I'd give it 2.5 stars if I could.

Sigler finished this book in 1998, I think this makes this his first book. The writing shows. The dialogue is a little overly blunt and too dramatic, it doesn't feel like how normal people talk. The descriptions are pretty similar -...more
Bryan
My very first audiobook experience, downloaded for free from podiobooks.com, and listened to on my Palm Centro (while driving to and from work).

Actually, I did rather enjoy this. It was a bit weird to have somebody "read" the story to me, especially with all the strange voices that Sigler uses. (The first few were okay, but they started getting weirder as the list of characters grew, and some of the voices were quite annoying.)

Overall, the story was very captivating. Lots of action, lots of susp...more
Chibineko
I'm not joking either- I've yet to read or listen to a Sigler story that has disappointed me. Sure, there's some that I don't like as well as others, but overall I've enjoyed all of Sigler's works in either a book or podcast format.

Earthcore surrounds a group of the world's best & brightest in mining, run by the ruthless Connell Kirkland. Reeling from his own personal losses years earlier, Kirkland thinks only of the bottom line & what profits he can get for his company. When an enormous...more
Patrick
Mar 16, 2010 Patrick rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: action sci-fi/horror fans
Recommended to Patrick by: Kali Mura
Earthcore took a while to grab me. Part of this may be because it takes place here in Utah, and some of the early scenes involving BYU* and Salt Lake City didn't quite ring true for me. However, to a reader that's not from here, it probably wouldn't garner a second thought. (Pioneer Park full of playing children? Really? I think an old-timey prospector being tazed and abducted in broad daylight would likely be LESS out of place there than throngs of happily rollicking kids. Ha!)

Once the story re...more
Jen
Scott does a great job with giving each character their strengths and flaws and making them seem like real people and not just cookie cutouts. There were some people who I was rooting for escape at the end (I was slightly disappointed here) and other people were I was like OMG I HOPE THEY DIE! And they totally did, because this is Sigler we're talking about, and he's not wishy-washy about slaughtering his characters at all.

I had been avoiding this book because it was Scott's first, and in my opi...more
Frederick Masterman
This fast-paced horror-science fiction romp is an exciting and non-stop action story. I enjoy such things, trying to create something of the same mood in Season of the Plant, although I come nowhere near the skill of this author. I have a background in geology, have gone into unexplored caves, and can relate to the excitement and mystery which surround plumbing the depths of our planet. What these explorers discover, however, is a wonderfully amazing and horrifying one. Well described, action to...more
Emily
A very solid entry into the horror genre. Follows a somewhat predictable storyline that has been done by many excellent horror authors in the past (group drills into somewhere very deep and finds something scary there) but that doesn't mean this is a bad book. It's actually a very original concept, one that gets both more intriguing and more confusing as we move towards the end of the book.

As far as the ending of the story, I found it satisfying but I didn't much like the origin story of the cre...more
Michael
A high 3-star. I steadily kept with it because it was a free audiobook and I liked it because really, how can you not like monsters in underground caverns?? But it wasn't what I would consider to be amazing high quality writing. Especially reading Hunger Games right after. Earthcore was more along the lines of the countless similar action/adventure/thrillers out there, similar in fact to James Rollins: in my opinion, so so writing, story mostly kept alive by all the fun action and body counts an...more
Bill
Billions of dollars worth of platinum, 3 miles below the surface is up for grabs. A ruthless mining company is staking its claim, but first a group of EarthCore employees and scientists will need to find a way to survive the night and quite possibly save the planet in the process.

I really enjoy Scott Siglers work. The guy can definitely tell a story. This may not have been my favorite so far, but it was fast, fun and entertaining. There were some genuinely likeable, as well as, (signature Sigle...more
Jessie
My friend Glenn lent me his book, a real treat since Earthcore is out-of-print and not available by Kindle. Even though this had a sci-fi storyline, I thought the heart of this story was really the character development. I was fascinated with (and scared of) his main female villain and I was thrilled with the satisfying conclusion of her storyline but she will linger in my mind for a while. Good job!
Ellie
I have a definition for authors who break the mold, publish their own books either in print or in audio format and try to tackle the beast that is fantasy and sci-fi publishing on their own. I call them Punk Scribblers. Among the best of these are Scott Sigler, Robert Fanney (Luthiel's Song), and Tee Morris (Billybub Baddings). Scott's own contribution began with Earthcore and has since branched out to an expanding pallet of great books. This one is both edgy and sinister. A very gritty and real...more
Jess
Not the first time I've listened to it, but a week ago when I was casting about for something, ANYTHING, to listen to keep myself occupied at a slow week at work, I remembered about Scott Sigler's free podcast books.

I had listened to most of them, and decided to give earthcore a go again.

The first half of the novel was very interesting. The characters were introduced in a manner that made me interested in all of them. The mystery of the horror in the caves kept growing steadily.

After the truth o...more
Gautam Surath
Sometimes you need a book just to pass the time. Sometimes you don't want to go to deep. Sometimes you need a book that you can put down and then come back to when you feel like. Scott is very good at these kind of books. Earthcore may be one of his better ones. Hope along for the ride and enjoy it while it lasts!
Fantafano
Unremarkable from a literary standpoint. No truly quotable lines. Sigler is very good at coming up with novel premises for his books, but his delivery tends to be a collection of cliches and unnecessarily sexual metaphors. Upon reading some of his other work, I once remarked that he might be a viable alternative to the recently-deceased Michael Crichton, but Scott Sigler has a lot of growing to do before he can hope to fill those shoes. Still, a fun read, good to absorb while decompressing betwe...more
Ryan
Currently "read" the audio version of the novel from podiobooks.com

It's not often that an author can make a serious claim at having created a genre, but in some ways that's what Sigler did with this, the world's first ever podcast-exclusive audiobook.

The story's pretty simple - a group of miners discover a giant deposit of platinum deep in a mountain in Utah ... but as they start to mine it, they start to realize that they're not alone. Sigler's a good enough of an author to prevent the story fr...more
Liz Townsend
I love the idea of the monsters that Sigler created - and the storyline is well-done, too. I just wish the characters were real people instead of caricatures. But overall, still a fun, creepy tale. ETA: sigler certainly isn't afraid to kill off a character or 10. definitely a bonus (i'm also a big fan of GRR Martin, call me a glutton for punishment).
Felts
This one could actually be a 3.5 stars because Sigler does a pretty damn good job of writing a suspenseful tale. Then again, I pondered giving it 2.5 stars due to the fact that I wanted every character in the book to die because they are extremely unlikeable. Hopefully, ****SPOILER ALERT*** the characters that did survive in this one get their asses mangled down in South America when they try to take on the underground goo-monsters down there! Anyhoo, enough of my ranting, try this one yourself...more
Joseph Moe
Not his best work but love the premise, love how it all ties in with the rest of his fiction.
Martin Livings
The podcast of Earthcore really was enormous fun to listen to. Okay, sure, maybe some of the characters are cliches, and sure, maybe one or two parts of the book don't make a whole lot of sense if you really stop and think about it too hard, but really, what Earthcore really is at its, uh, core is a rollicking action movie as a novel, always charging forwards, exciting, thrilling, and in the end, completely satisfying. It is exactly what it sets out to be, and is entirely excellent at it. I had...more
Curt Mercer
I really enjoyed Earthcore. Sigler has a way of ramping up the tension in a story that is just great. It's time for me to look for the next podcast novel from Scott Sigler.
Stephen Holmes
This was a good thriller. I enjoyed the read, but I don't know if I will pick it up again. The plot was very straight forward and enjoyable, but there was not a lot of depth to it. Of course, sometimes that is exactly what you are looking for.

Most of the book seemed "normal", by which there were no Fantastical (fantasy or SF) elements to the book, although there were hints to it. The action was well paced, and the slow explanations never seemed to take too long.

All in al a nice light read.
Reese
I listened to the audiobook version of this after I finished the second book in Sigler's Infected series.

The book is based around a government mining company mining platinum in an ancient indian mountain, which leads to the discovery of creatures that attack the workforce. The protagonists are trapped in the mountain and are trying to escape with their lives.

I loved it! Interesting characters, great plot and a hell of an ending. Looking forward to Earthcore 2!
Curtis
It was a welcome relief to know that Sigler, even with his first novel, knew the things people would want to keep coming back for. Although he really didn't grasp the concept of attraction and coupling very well, his dark humor and amazing ability to think of detailed background information for all the events made this one a great listen. Before he found his stroke of genius in Infected, he was clearly on his was with this one.
S.R. Torris
I actually stumbled on Scott by accident, checcking out some podcast (I didn't know people podcasted their books!) and was pleasently surprised. He had the right balance of character developement that I actually cared when someone died (or not)and I was a bit creeped out by the monsters in this book. It has been a while since I read/heard Eartcore but at it's "core" Mr. Sigler provides an adventure that you won't mind following him on.
  • 7th Son: Book Three - Destruction
  • Crescent
  • Billibub Baddings and the Case of the Singing Sword
  • Brave Men Run - A Novel of the Sovereign Era
  • Singularity
  • Morevi: The Chronicles of Rafe and Askana (Book 1)
  • Max Quick: The Pocket and the Pendant (Max Quick, #1)
  • Double Share (Golden Age of the Solar Clipper, #4)
  • Playing for Keeps
  • The Immortals
  • Murder at Avedon Hill
New York Times best-selling novelist Scott Sigler is author of the INFECTED trilogy (INFECTED, CONTAGIOUS and PANDEMIC), ANCESTOR and NOCTURNAL, hardcover hardcover thrillers from Crown Publishing; and the co-founder of Empty Set Entertainment, which publishes his Galactic Football League series (THE ROOKIE, THE STARTER, THE ALL-PRO and THE MVP).
Before he was published, Scott built a large online...more
More about Scott Sigler...
Infected (Infected, #1) Contagious (Infected, #2) Ancestor Nocturnal The Rookie