Start by marking “The Witch's Big Night” as Want to Read:
The Witch's Big Night

The Witch's Big Night

The Halloween witch in this story is very perturbed by the visitors who come to her door. No candy for them, instead she offers spiders, smelly dead fish, or a handful of worms.
She’s scary and grumpy. Her frustration stems from the fact that not one of the trick-or-treaters has the gumption to trick her ,except for one kindly skunk. A tub of bobbing apples does the trick
Published September 29th 2014 by Huss Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Witch's Big Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witch's Big Night

Miss Meghan's Class
Oct 22, 2014 Miss Meghan's Class rated it it was amazing
This was a cute story and reminded me a lot of that famous Christmas story about being woken up by Santa.

The kids loved seeing the things she was giving to the kids who came to her house and felt bad for her because she was getting so frustrated with no one trying to trick her. In the end, they were very happy she became friends with the skunk and that she was finally happy.
Julie Barrett
Oct 31, 2015 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it
Children's Books: THE WITCH'S BIG NIGHT (Very Funny, Rhyming Bedtime Story/Picture Book for Beginner Readers About Halloween and Kindness, Ages 2-8)
Colorful children's book about Halloween. Along the same lines as the night before Christmas, this one is also a rhyming book about the Halloween celebrations.
The witch is the one expected tonight, with treats for all. Everybody is frightened of the witch passing out tricks or treats. One is able to trick the witch into doing good things...
Other wor
Barbara Ann
Oct 20, 2015 Barbara Ann rated it really liked it
Rhyming book for preschoolers and early elementary school age children. Focusing on Halloween, it begins with a rhyme that is reminiscent of "The Night Before Christmas." A witch opens her door to many children who asking for treats. Instead of candy, she hands out things like dead fish, worms, and spiders. She thinks her visitors are scared-y-cats. What she really wants is to find one who is not afraid. Will the witch meet her match? Can she be persuaded to be nice? Fun illustrations and a good ...more
The Haunted Reading Room {Cthulhu Down the Chimney Tonight}
REVIEW: THE WITCH'S BIG NIGHT by Sally Hiss

A fun approach to Halloween trick or treating. The Witch thinks she ought to be mean, but an encounter with a costumed skunk teaches that friendship, kindness, and sharing can be fun.
McKenzie Richardson
Okay story.

It was set to the rhythm of "'Twas the Night Before Christmas", which worked in the beginning, but it became clunky by the end.

The story itself was confusing and in my opinion didn't really promote niceness (the witch is tricked into being nice?).

The illustrations were okay, but very simplistic and not all that engaging.
Eileen Carter
Oct 25, 2016 Eileen Carter rated it liked it
This book is easy to read with is rhymes and pictures to help children decode more difficult words. Children will enjoy the antics of the witch and delight in the ending. The pictures are colorful and portray the emotions of the characters well.
Amanda Katsma
Nov 15, 2016 Amanda Katsma rated it really liked it
Creepy

It was kind of sad and it was a little creepy too. I would still recommend it if you like scary stories.
iris unger
Oct 25, 2016 iris unger rated it it was amazing
Cute little little story

Five year granddaughter loved it . Will be purchasing more books by Sally Huss. She knows how to keep children interested in story.
Anastasia Johnson
Oct 15, 2016 Anastasia Johnson rated it really liked it
Cute!

My daughter really liked this book. She liked pointing out what the costumes are! Will be reading this again soon!
Lakeisha
Oct 12, 2016 Lakeisha rated it it was amazing
Very cute

My 6 year old daughter liked how the witch was tricked to be kind. And how she had a great Halloween night.
Ian Wood
Nov 04, 2015 Ian Wood rated it it was amazing

Angela Lambkin
Oct 06, 2015 Angela Lambkin rated it it was amazing
How will you celebrate Halloween? In kindness or being wicked ?

What a delightful and entertaining children's ebook just in time for Halloween Eve. And such delightful and beautiful illustrations which I would recommend for kids from 2-8! Above are my reasons for giving this ebook five stars. I received this ebook for free and in return am now doing an honest review. Great job Sally! By Angela
Melissa
Oct 17, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it
This book was really cute. I enjoyed the artwork and the theme of the story however the rhyming scheme did not work out for all of the pages. Sally Huss tried to the Night Before Christmas rhyming format, but most of the pages did not fit. The story was still great and I had a lot of fun reading it. I cannot wait to share it with the kids that I work with.
jenny ritter
Oct 27, 2015 jenny ritter rated it really liked it
2nd chance for this author

I had previously ordered 'Princess in a Teacup' and read it to my granddaughter. Neither of us were terribly impressed. This book has a much better flow and I find it much easier to read to a small (3 yr old) child as it is less convoluted. The illustrations are beautiful and fun.
Lori Ann Reeve
Jul 13, 2015 Lori Ann Reeve rated it it was amazing
Everyone has kindness within them.

Really fun story with flowing rhyming verses. It take s one kind little skunk for the mean witch to show her kind side. This book will be a big hit with your kids. They will want it read again and again. I will recommend this book on my website. www.rkidsucceed.com
Alexis
Nov 04, 2015 Alexis rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
The Witch is home to celebrate Halloween but finds herself bored of children who fail to surprise or trick her. She then gets surprised when a child in a skunk costume tricks her into committing an act of kindness. I would read aloud before Halloween for a fun activity. I would also point out how the author was probably inspired by "Twas the Night Before Christmas".
Lolita Nettles
Oct 06, 2015 Lolita Nettles rated it it was amazing
An adorable read

I read this to my children and my niece and nephew (18 months-10 years old) . They all thought it was entertaining and very funny. We all enjoyed the rhymes and the illustrations. Would definitely buy more of this author, as even the children were able to see the lesson of friendship and understanding of differences.
Emily
Oct 19, 2015 Emily rated it it was ok
Meh.

The rhyming was awkward and clumsy. The story made almost no sense. And the illustrations were weak. It couldn't entertain any of my kids or my or me. Glad I didn't spend any money on it.
Katelyn Cheatwood
Oct 24, 2015 Katelyn Cheatwood rated it it was amazing
Cute witch Halloween story!

I really enjoyed reading this Halloween book! I got it free on kindle unlimited! I hope to find more cute Halloween stories to get in the mood for Halloween!
Michele Vujovich
Oct 13, 2015 Michele Vujovich rated it it was amazing
Fun

The witch didn't know what Halloween was about. My daughter liked that everyone ran away. She's just learning how to read and managed to make it through.
Qui
Oct 07, 2015 Qui rated it liked it
I found this book on Amazon for free and because Halloween is almost here I decided to read it.. And I actually enjoyed it!
Lisa Clark
Dec 05, 2015 Lisa Clark rated it it was amazing
I read this book to several of my speech and language students, it gave several,opportunities to ask questions to see if they were comprehending the story.
Aaron Snowden
Dec 06, 2015 Aaron Snowden rated it really liked it
Cute story

My daughter (5 years old) enjoyed the story. Great bedtime story leading up to Halloween.
I'm sure we'll be reading this at other times of the year as well.
Sandra Watts
Oct 06, 2015 Sandra Watts rated it it was amazing
Cute and fun

It was a cute book and gave me a good chuckle or two. Looking forward to more from this author. A great book I will surely read to my grandkids.
Oct 28, 2014 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: freebies, kids
(Downloaded for free from Amazon.co.uk)

This was an okay children's story. That witch turned out to be really easy to trick though!
6 out of 10.
Heidi Kasper
Jan 12, 2016 Heidi Kasper rated it it was amazing
Just in time forHalloween.

Fun Halloween book for the youngsters. Nice active illustrations. Teaches an easy lesson...to be kind. I recommend this book to my granddaughter.
Sally Tice
Nov 10, 2015 Sally Tice rated it it was amazing
Good rhyming book

Nice take on the classic night before Christmas poem. Cute rhymes that children can work on and good holiday book.
Annmarie Stocker-shea
Jan 02, 2016 Annmarie Stocker-shea rated it it was amazing
My son absolutely loved this book. It's so cute you can't help but to love it. This has become his new favorite.
Joana Arteaga
Oct 07, 2015 Joana Arteaga rated it really liked it
Cute Halloween story

A witch learns a lesson from a little skunk. Very cute Halloween story about being nice. I loved the ending.
  • The Magical Jump
  • Numbers!: Take the Dog Out
  • Message in a Bauble (Big Honey Dog Mysteries #3)
  • Webster's Email
  • Tip of the Toes
  • How Andrew Got His Spots
  • The Christmas Owl
  • Snowman's Story
  • The Monster That Ate My Socks
  • Pigtastic (Accept people for who they are!)
  • Dinosaurs: Amazing Pictures & Fun Facts on Animals in Nature (Our Amazing World Series)
  • Jingle All the Way (Jingle, #1)
  • The Time Keeper (The Time Keeper, #1)
  • Beautiful, Magical, Amazing Ballet
  • The Awkward Owl
  • Second Chance Valentines (Second Chance Love Story)
  • Three Little Gnomes and a Boy Named Orion
  • Kat McGee and The Halloween Costume Caper (Kat McGee Adventures, #2)
For years I have wanted to do what I am doing now -- writing and illustrating my children's books. Electronic drawing pads and e-books have made it possible for me to create and publish my own books -- and do so in quantity. In the past, Harcourt Brace, Ten Speed Press, Thomas Nelson had only published a few.

The books were always squeezed in between art I needed to do to fill 26 Sally Huss Galleri
More about Sally Huss...