Start by marking “Pegasus in Space” as Want to Read:
Pegasus in Space

Pegasus in Space (The Talent #3)

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,070 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
Published May 31st 2000 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Pegasus in Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pegasus in Space

wychwood
Aug 13, 2011 wychwood rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, suck-fairy, sff
To Ride Pegasus, Damia, The Rowan, Pegasus in Flight, and Pegasus in Space, Anne McCaffrey - I was lending a couple of these to a friend, and was struck by the urge to re-read them first. They have, as I'd expected, been visited by the Suck Fairy, but not as badly as some of her others; I still quite enjoyed them, despite everything. The series was written over quite a period of time; To Ride Pegasus was published in 1973, which is some level of excuse for the massive gender essentialism, astoni ...more
Yune
Oct 04, 2010 Yune rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Re-read. Lackluster sequel to To Ride Pegasus and Pegasus in Flight. Returns to the characters in the latter, and I feel like that's the book's main function: connect Peter Reidinger with future Primes and the Center for Parapsychic Talent with FT&T. This is a very straight, boring, and somewhat incomplete line between two interesting dots.

Scenes jump around jerkily: an event like a long-foretold marriage gets a couple of disconnected paragraphs, while kids are born and grow years between si
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
Padrugoi Space Station is complete and now attention has been turned to building Moon Base and Mars Base. Little do Peter Reidinger and Johnny Greene know they will be instrumental in making that happen at a much faster pace than anticipated.

In the meantime, an orphaned five-year-old girl named Amariyah, is found after the floods in Bangladesh. When it’s discovered she has a lot of as-yet-unknown Talent she is brought back to the Center and raised by Dorotea. There are sinister machinations goi
Marcia
Jan 24, 2012 Marcia rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sciencefiction
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I enjoyed this book greatly. I love the whole world of the FT&T. There is something about the way Ms. McCaffrey writes which makes me yearn to be in her worlds. I must have read this book over 50 times. We get to meet the young Peter Reidinger. I great book for young adults without the crass teen angsty drama.
Bridget
Jan 21, 2013 Bridget marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction, sci-fi
This book is called PEGASUS IN SPACE. !!! Clearly, I need to read it immediately.
Lindig
Sep 18, 2012 Lindig rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
Meh. It's like comfort food -- perfectly edible but not exciting.
Brandon Meredith
Jun 04, 2013 Brandon Meredith rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, I would go far as to say that this book was bad. It's shocking to me since I adore the second book in the series.

McCaffrey gives into some of her worst urges here. For instance, she labors over long conversations in meeting rooms about not much at all. It's common for books to have a spot somewhere in the middle where the story lags, but the entire last hundred page of this novel were dreadful, with only brief action perhaps twice.

Also, it's quite disjointed, with a description of life in
Colleen
Apr 25, 2011 Colleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always liked this book best of the Pegasus series and second-best after Damia in the Talents books in general, so when I went looking for something light I loved to re-read, this was it. And oddly, I spend the entire time mentally noting where it contradicted itself, or another book. McCaffrey throws in so many little details -- probably what I love about it -- but all the little nit-picky bits don't line up neatly thrown together, and when you've read her books enough to know them by rote ...more
Simon Mcleish
Sep 06, 2012 Simon Mcleish rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Originally published on my blog here in October 2000.

The third and last of the Pegasus series, linked very decidedly to the Tower series which follows but which were written first, Pegasus in Space remains a reasonably self-contained novel. It is about the adolescence of Peter Reidinger, an important if slightly peripheral character in the later novels.

The book is dedicated to Christopher Reeves, the Superman actor who was disabled in an accident, and is the story of how Reidinger regains his ow
Brian Schiebout
Oct 20, 2013 Brian Schiebout rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pegasus in Space by Anne McCaffrey is the ninth story set in the Talents Universe. The book is a direct sequel to Pegasus in Flight and deals with many of the same characters as they continue to move humanity into space and the stars. The main character is of course Peter Reidinger who is the most talented individual that they have ever found and his attempts to push himself and humanity into space. The only new character that plays an important role in this story is Amariyah a young girl who wa ...more
Ward Bond
Nov 01, 2014 Ward Bond rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

In a triumphant career spanning more than thirty years, Anne McCaffrey has won the acclaim of critics, the devotion of millions of fans, and awards too numerous to mention. Her bestselling Dragonriders of Pern series is counted among the masterpieces of modern science fiction, a work whose popularity continues to grow as new generations of readers discover the literary magic only Anne McCaffrey can provide. Now that magic is back, displayed as breathtakingly as ever in the exciting and long-awai

Hettie
Feb 22, 2011 Hettie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy lovers and those who like reading about possible futures of earth
This book provides the final links between to the pegasus series and the tower and the hive series.

I enjoyed this book and liked following the devolpment of Peter. The detail that was included about Peters health was both very realistic and very reavealing about his character. Having read the tower and the hive series before I found it interesting to trace the emergence of people, places and companies that feature in that series. I liked the vision of life in space.

I did find some of the detail
Carolyn J. Allen
The Story Continues!!

Oh, what a book!! The continuation of The Talent Saga moves into the realm of space--to say the least. The stories about the 'talented' characters move forward in such a way as to become something you just can't put down. As with all of the books I've read on my Kindle Fire, the proofreading is atrocious. But, it won't stop me from moving on to "The Rowan", the beginning of the next set of books about the Talented!
Al

SUMMARY:
Peter Reidinger was the most brilliant and powerful telepath and telekinetic yet discovered on earth. He was also barely 15 year old and a paraplegic who 'moved' his body through kinesis. When the telepaths of earth suspected a plot to take over Padrugoi, the newly manned space station, they realized they needed his unique gifts to foil the insane plans of Barchenka, the space construction manager, but even they didn't realize how strong were his abilities to read the minds of those abou

Julianne
Sep 28, 2009 Julianne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Beth
Aug 19, 2014 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third in the series and the first one that makes me want to read more. McCaffrey finally hit her stride with this series and with her characters.

Our one character is a very bright young man who was terribly injured in an accident and then discovered his "talent". The story follows his life as he grows into his power, it also follows the bad guys who want this man dead.

Great space fiction.
Sarah Mckenna
And finally we see the familiar structures from the chronologically later books come out. I think the best part of this novel is watching a young man grow more and more interested in his chosen career. McCaffrey has always done best at following a positive change.

It's a little saccharine and a little short on substance, but still entertaining.
Cynthia Serrano
May 01, 2015 Cynthia Serrano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anne McCaffrey, the first woman to win Hugo and Nebula awards for SF and best know. for her series of books, The Dragonriders of Pern. Pegasus in Space is the final book in her series of people who have telekinetic and and telepathic talents with which they explore interstellar travel.
Becky
Sep 01, 2008 Becky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Accidently I read this story first of the trilagy. The story does well to quickly explain the histories of these characters when needed. You will not get a complete history lesson in the first chapter.

Ms. McCaffery does a wonderful job of creating a world modern day can relate to with the "fantastic" of mental powers and explinations of how they might work. Semiliar to her crystal line a pitch, a tone, is brought to the attention to tune to the abilities of the mind and to that ability to explor
Anna
Mar 07, 2015 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, 2015
I didn't remember much about this one except some vague details about Peter. I enjoyed it more than the previous book because there was less child abuse and more character growth.
Luseride
Jul 04, 2013 Luseride rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peter Reidinger has "Talent" and that is a good thing. After having been injured he uses his powers of his mind to move his body which would otherwise confine him to a hospital room for the rest of his life. Teleportation is still in the early stages of study but is being used to build and develop space stations to relieve the overcrowding or Earth.

This is a sci-fi novel but as with all good writing it deals with human nature good, bad, and ugly. By using mental powers to communicate and transpo
Gina Mora
Loved this!! You get to see Peter grow up, Tirla and her twins, meet Amyrah, and Rhyssa's kids! Also, more of Johnny's machinations-which were always fun!
Rachel
Dec 29, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good story - this novel reminded me of what McCaffrey does best, with few of the drawbacks found in her later works (Skies of Pern, and any of the dreadful collaborations with Todd McCaffrey). The tale moved reasonably swiftly and continued to be engaging along the way. She made every effort to make the science understandable and reasonable, though it slowed down the narrative somewhat. Some of the plot points were not resolved between the covers, but given that the book merged two pre-existin ...more
Cheryl Nakao
Jun 30, 2015 Cheryl Nakao rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite of all the books in this series.
Randy Word
Apr 02, 2014 Randy Word rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the Pegasus/Talent series!
Jim
Mar 17, 2008 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This is a great book and third in Anne McCaffrey's Pegasus series. I finally finished this one so I can get back to my projects but I was so into it, I have been reading nearly non-stop.

This has more of the Talented men and women with extraordinary mental powers. The characters are so engaging that I "see" the scene in the book more than I read the words. This first happened with me while reading "The Hobbit" in the mid 1960s and it is always a treat to find another book and author that can do t
Strina K
I always forget how much less interesting this one is than Pegasus in Flight. It starts with similar multiple POVs and then narrows down pretty much entirely to Peter's story. The sabotage plot is a surprise, but it just trails off mid-solve, leaving about a huge chunk of book to Peter revolutionizing gestalt/telekinesis/space travel. Which is theoretically neat - but if you've read any of the Tower books, you ALREADY KNOW ALL OF THIS.

Also, criminal lack of Tirla and she is the best.
Courtney
Dec 27, 2012 Courtney rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Definitely not my favorite McCaffrey. I never felt like the story had much at stake, and since I read Pegasus in Flight so long ago I couldn't quite connect with all the references to that story. There was never much connection with the characters themselves, either, with the very short and unsatisfying backstory of Amariyah and the overly-detailed scientific descriptions that intercut scenes with Peter and various other people. So, a bit disappointed but I won't be crying my eyes out over it.
Jan 29, 2016 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
anne mccaffrey
  • The Ship Errant (Brainship, #6)
  • The Ship Avenged
  • The People of Pern
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • Against the Odds (The Serrano Legacy, #7)
  • Renunciates of Darkover (Darkover Series)
  • Werehunter
  • Carpe Diem (Liaden Universe, #10)
  • Bloodhype (Pip & Flinx, #11)
  • The Service of the Sword (Worlds of Honor, #4)
  • Beyond Varallan (Stardoc, #2)
  • Songsmith (Witch World Series 2: High Hallack Cycle, #9)
  • A Confederation of Valor (Confederation, #1-2)
  • Quicksilver's Knight (Warlock's Heirs, #2)
  • The Atlas of Pern
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts, at 1:30 p.m., in the hour of the Sheep, year of the Fire Tiger, sun sign Aries with Taurus rising and Leo mid-heaven (which seems to suggest an early interest in the stars).

Her parents were George Herbert McCaffrey, BA, MA PhD (Harvard), Colonel USA Army (retired), and Anne Dorothy McElroy McCaffrey, estate agent. She had two
More about Anne McCaffrey...

The Talent (3 books)
  • To Ride Pegasus (The Talent, #1)
  • Pegasus in Flight (The Talent, #2)