Start by marking “You're Here for a Reason” as Want to Read:
You're Here for a Reason

You're Here for a Reason

You're here for a reason. If you think you're not
I would just say that perhaps you forgot . . .

a piece of the world that is precious and dear
would surely be missing if you weren't here.

Every person matters. Here, national-bestselling and beloved author Nancy Tillman shows readers how each of us fits into life's big picture, and how the world would be incomplete without
Published September 1st 2015 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about You're Here for a Reason, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You're Here for a Reason

The Night Gardener by Terry FanIf I Had a Gryphon by Vikki VanSickleMira Forecasts the Future by Kell AndrewsWhen Green Becomes Tomatoes by Julie FoglianoIda, Always by Caron Levis
Picture Books of 2016
188th out of 263 books — 113 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussGoodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownOh, The Places You'll Go! by Dr. SeussChicka Chicka Boom Boom by Bill Martin Jr.
Books to read together in the early years
114th out of 267 books — 219 voters

More lists with this book...

Brittney
Oct 16, 2015 Brittney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book is brilliant. It is inspirational and purposeful - connecting the reader to a moment of reflection on the importance of being here, alive in the world. Furthermore, this book rhymes poetically. The story also makes culturally connections as "kindness" is spread all over the world. I want to read this book to my classroom at the start of every year - no matter the grade level. It speaks a beautiful message and can softly bring comfort to individuals going through uneasy times.
Kandice Buck
Nov 02, 2015 Kandice Buck rated it it was amazing
Shelves: life-lessons, love
This book is about how special you are to the world. It talks about how you are here for a reason. It is a great book to read when encouraging students to not give up and follow their dreams. This is a wonderful book to have in the classroom to show that every student is important in their own way to the teacher.
Amanda
Sep 03, 2015 Amanda rated it liked it
Ok, don't hate me for thinking that while these books by this author are very beautiful and have lovely messages, some of the pictures are slightly...creepy. Sorry. But there it is. Will read this to Madam though because of the message and because she will like the animals.
B.P.
Dec 30, 2015 B.P. marked it as picture-books
Interesting graphic design - illustrations are a collage of photoshopped images and paintings/drawings
Liza Nahas
Jan 25, 2016 Liza Nahas rated it it was amazing
Love! Love! Love! Generally Nancy Tillman is my go-to for baby gifts, but this one works for various levels & ages. I will be reading it to my 10year old daughter.
Carrie
Jun 16, 2016 Carrie rated it it was amazing
It's sappy. It's mushy. But I really liked this Tillman book. Sometimes grow-ups need to hear this, too!
Rachel
Nice sentiment
Erin
Dec 09, 2015 Erin rated it it was amazing
It was amazing
Emily
Nov 29, 2016 Emily added it
Shelves: author-study
1. This is a story in a rhyming format that is telling the reader that everyone is here for a reason and everything they do effects someone or something. She goes on to say that a simple act of kindness that you do can set things in motion and that even days where nothing happens can become something good. This inspirational story gives the message that life has it's ups and downs but no matter what, everyone is needed and special.

2. This is a beautifully written story. This gives the message to
Kelly
Oct 11, 2016 Kelly rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Beautiful message, but a little clunky at times. I would share this with any age!
Matt
Oct 07, 2016 Matt added it
Shelves: childrens
Our 2016 positive book for our annual family party - a great choice.
Caroline
Nov 06, 2016 Caroline rated it it was amazing
Genre: Realistic fiction
Awards: none
Summary: You're Here for a Reason is an inspirational story that teaches students that they are here for a reason and so important as part of a whole class. It talks about how we are here for a reason and that everything we do matters and has an impact on those around us. If we weren't here, the world would be a different place. Everything you experience is a part of you: the good and the bad, the happy and the sad.
Critique: This is one of my favorite children
Barbara
In her trademark illustrative style relying on digital artwork in which "layers of illustrative elements are first individually created, then merged to form a composite" (publisher's information) and then chalk, watercolor, and pencil are used to add texture and color, the author celebrates all the reasons that make each one of us important. The rhyming text is written in such a way that it directly addresses readers, making them feel as though the book and message are intended specifically for ...more
Emily Petering
Feb 21, 2016 Emily Petering rated it it was amazing
This book is my second favorite children's book of all time. The author uses rhyming to convey a beautiful and important message and she does it in a great way. The words are simple enough that children of any age would be able to understand them. The illustrations in the book are pictures that have been altered to look like paintings and I think this adds to the uniqueness of the book because its not all that common in children's books.

I would use this book in my classroom in many ways. This b
Caroline Cheatwood
Jun 26, 2016 Caroline Cheatwood rated it really liked it
Summary: Nancy Tillman writes not a story but paints a wider picture. Not only does she write words that convey a person's wealth, but also illustrates a different story with the use of a kite.

Theme: A child changes the world even if they do not realize it.

Response: The kite was interesting to follow because of all the different locations and uses that it had. It traveled all around the world to different children and different animals. This was interesting because the children were playing wi
Christine Turner
Shows how each of us fits into life's big picture, and how the world would be incomplete without each person in it.

You're here for a reason. If you think you're not
I would just say that perhaps you forgot . . .
a piece of the world that is precious and dear
would surely be missing if you weren't here.
Every person matters.

Here, national-bestselling and beloved author Nancy Tillman shows readers how each of us fits into life's big picture, and how the world would be incomplete without you in it.
Abby Owens
Apr 28, 2016 Abby Owens rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
I loved this book. It was defiantly in my top three favorite books from the semester. This is a great story showing how each person is important and each person plays a role in the world. It showed through the pictures how each person played a part to encourage someone else even without their knowledge.
I am going to have this in my classroom. I think it would be really cool to use this book as a guide at the beginning of the year to encourage students to grow in their self confidence and to lea
Jessica Verzello
Sep 05, 2016 Jessica Verzello rated it liked it
Shelves: el-ed-340
Another message from parent to child that he or she is important, loved, and essential. Nancy Tillman's illustrations are always a unique combination of different mediums. A lovely goodnight book.
Teri
Oct 03, 2015 Teri rated it it was amazing
I think everyone, child and adult, should read this book from time to time as a reminder of how important each and every person is. How I love these books!

quote: "Life can be tricky, there isn't a doubt
You'll skin your knees trying to figure it out.

But life works together, the good and the bad,
the silly and awful, and happy and sad,
to paint a big picture we can't always see....
a picture that needs you, most definitely.

Remember that next time a day goes all wrong...
to somebody else,
you w
Michelle
Aug 13, 2016 Michelle rated it really liked it
The illustrations are absolutely captivating. The colorful ribbon and ball tie each illustration and allows one to morph into the next. The interaction between animals and children is enchanting. I didn't like the story as much. The author does a nice job conveying the message that we all have a place and we are all needed. I just don't believe that the target audience would be interested in the text. I found it vaguely depressing.
All four stars are for the illustrations.
Shannon Brasher
This is a fantastic book for children to show them they are on this earth for a reason and how special they are. I also loved the theme about how choices a person makes can affect a lot of people and can have a domino effect. This would be a great book to read to your child and I would probably include it in my classroom library and possibly just read it aloud for fun, not particularly for a lesson.
Katie
I got tears in my eyes reading this book because I think it is so great. It is so beautifully written with such encouraging words. It is about how your life matters and that you are here for a reason. I think that this book would be great for teaching any age. So many people from young to old feel like they don't have a purpose, and this book is such a great reminder that all of us are so important and special. I feel like this book would connect with all students in all grades.
Jess
Jan 15, 2016 Jess rated it it was ok
I can't read Tillman's Wherever You Are My Love Will Find You without tearing up, but this one . . . this one makes me kind of mad. After all, if Tillman wanted to write a treatise encouraging people not to kill themselves, she should totally have felt free to do so, rather than sandwiching said argument into a children's book.
Amy
Feb 01, 2016 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
A beautiful message to teach a child -- that they are here for a reason and the world is much improved by their presence and their small acts of kindness. Fantastical illustrations with animals, ribbons, kites and children show the inter-relationship of all beings. The ribbons and kites represent a kind thought or action as it travels on and on. Very nice gift for a newborn or young child.
Kalynda
Aug 06, 2016 Kalynda rated it it was amazing
I recently bought this book for my mom, due to the elephant on the cover, and although I had skimmed through it prior to purchase, I hadn't fully read it until today. As I sit here typing this, I am smiling, both outwardly and inwardly, because of the positivity in it's words and message. It combines self strength with a pay-it-forward community feel. I am glad I bought it!
Madison Butler
Apr 26, 2016 Madison Butler rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! I have never read a picture book and felt such an amazing connection to it afterwords. It was inspiring and had beautiful illustrations. I really loved the message and how it encouraged people to be happy and know they are wanted know matter what. I would recommed this book to anyone but especially for a read aloud!
Jillian
Oct 22, 2015 Jillian rated it liked it
Rhymes reminiscent of Dr. Seuss remind the kiddos that they are important in the grand scheme of things, even if they can't see it.
The pictures were cute, but a couple of them were straight out of the Uncanny Valley.
Abby Obright
Sep 28, 2015 Abby Obright rated it it was amazing
I had never read nor heard about this book until I saw it on a bookshelf in Barnes & Noble. I LOVED the theme and the story behind the book. Also, it ties in with the ideas that children are able to learn a "lesson" from the reading! Highly recommended!
EG
May 17, 2016 EG rated it it was amazing
Beautiful illustrations and storyline. The text reminds children that they can accomplish great things in the greater picture of life. In addition, the pictures tell a story of their own to illustrate this point. I would highly recommend this book for all children.
Ramona
Nov 22, 2015 Ramona rated it really liked it
Shelves: jfic, picture-book
A wonderful book to share with your children, all children. We are all important. Just as the body needs all its parts to function properly, the world needs people. encourages caring about others, which is wonderful.
  • Homer, the Library Cat
  • We're Different, We're the Same
  • Cupcake
  • How to Babysit a Grandma
  • Thankful
Nancy Tillman created her first book, "On the Night You Were Born," to convey to children at an early and impressionable age, "You are the one and only ever you." Since then, Nancy has written and illustrated several bestselling books. She also illustrated It's Time to Sleep, My Love, with Eric Metaxas. Together, Nancy's books have sold in the millions. A former advertising executive, Tillman now ...more
More about Nancy Tillman...