Start by marking “Little Robot” as Want to Read:
Little Robot

Little Robot

4.06  ·  Rating Details ·  1,786 Ratings  ·  328 Reviews
When a little girl finds an adorable robot in the woods, she presses a button and accidentally activates him for the first time. Now, she finally has a friend. But the big, bad robots are coming to collect the little guy for nefarious purposes, and it's all up to a five-year-old armed only with a wrench and a fierce loyalty to her mechanical friend to save the day!

#1 New Y
Published September 1st 2015 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Little Robot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Robot

Patrick
Jul 10, 2016 Patrick rated it it was amazing
Another very impressive book by Ben Hatke.

Not just a delightfully good graphic novel that will be a delight for kids, but this one has a *very* minimal verbal content, which is exceptionally hard to pull off.

That said, the lack of a strong textual component means that this book is readable by even younger kids. So long as they've been exposed to some comics, I'd say most kids of 4-5 should be able to read this by themselves. And I wouldn't be surprised if a few precocious 3 year olds would enjoy
Raina
Sep 06, 2015 Raina rated it it was amazing
So, so good. Ben Hatke at his best--his kid body language is second to none. Put this book in every 7-year-old's hands!
Trish
May 27, 2016 Trish rated it it was amazing
What a cute little book - full of important life lessons!

The book has only panels, no text (except for the occasional noises the robots make or the girl's speech bubbles). This means that the reader (young and old) has to actually piece it together, which I find fantastic!
The story is about a little girl who apparently has no friends and doesn't go to school. One day she finds a little robot and they spend time together. There's a lot more which I will not give away but in general, this book is
First Second Books
Sep 01, 2015 First Second Books marked it as first-second-publications
I think that Ben Hatke is just marvelous, and this is his best book yet!

I love that Ben gives us a story with this book about a girl who is an engineer. Bookish, dreaming protagonists are great, but it's also awesome to have stories about girls who are like, 'okay, I'm here for SCIENCE!' I feel like there are too few of those in our fiction today.

Also this whole book is just the adorablest!
Misty

It's not news to anyone who's hung around my blog/vlog for any length of time that I love the work of Ben Hatke. (Also not news to anyone who read that intro, so. . .) I've talked about this many, many times, and pushed his books on many, many people, both online and IRL. So of course, I'm always looking forward to whatever's coming up next, confident in the belief that whatever it is is sureto brighten my shelves.
And Little Robotis no exception to that rule.

Little Robotfollows in the traditio
Cameron
Little Robot is yet another children's graphic novel that I picked up while working on the Bookmobile. Being surrounded by books, I have this longing to read everything I can. Not just because it'll make me better at my job when it comes to recommending books to kids, but just because I wanna read them all, dangit!

Little Robot is nothing short of adorable. The story very much reminds me of The Iron Giant and Big Hero 6. It's pretty much the same story, so there's nothing particularly original he
Heidi
Sep 17, 2015 Heidi rated it really liked it
Four stars: A beautifully illustrated story with minimal words that will appeal to all ages.

One night, a large truck trundles over a bridge, on its way to deliver robots. An unexpected bump jars open the door and out plunges a box into the river. The next day, a precocious five year old girl, armed with her tool belt and wrench runs across the robot in the woods. When she presses its button, the robot comes alive. Though the two can't communicate with words, they quickly develop their own langu
Timothy Ward
Perfect blend of fun, humor, artistic beauty and action. As an adult I appreciate how Ben draws scenes I find quirky in the cuteness of the characters. These are great to read to children, especially because of the fun sounds we get to make from his words. Little Robot was a heartfelt tale of how a little girl can use her skills to help and make friends in the worst of scenarios.

Releases Sept 1 from First Second Books. Review copy provided by publisher.
Skip
Feb 13, 2016 Skip rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A plot we have seen many times before: a robot who starts off innocent and relies on a human to gain new knowledge and insight on the world: The Iron Giant," "Short Circuit," or "Wall-E." A little girl discovers a lost, but curious robot and they explore and play together. But the robot wants to see more of his own kind and the girl tries to help until the mean recovery robot seizes her new friend. The artwork is designed for kids: cute and basic, but Hatke does a credible job capturing emotions ...more
Lata
Oct 13, 2016 Lata rated it really liked it
Awwww.... cute.
Sep 10, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing, almost wordless story, of a little girl who doesn't fit in, doesn't go to school, and doesn't appear to have any friends.

This is also the story of a little robot, who is lost.

And the two find each other.

And have adventures.

And did I mention that the little girl likes to fix things, with the tools in her tool belt?

And did I mention that the little robot is being chased by something that wants it back?

Quick, beautiful read. Great story. Children of all ages would enjoy it.
Zaz
Dec 18, 2015 Zaz rated it it was amazing
Wow. I bought the ebook, but now I want a paper copy! The story was enchanting, working on several topics like friendship, loneliness or the need to be a part of something.

I really (like really) enjoyed the interactions between the little girl and the tiny robot. It was great to follow them while the robot discovered the "world". The story was quite calm and light at the beginning but moved to something more serious later, a thing I enjoyed because it was realistic and moving at the same time.
Jessica at Book Sake
Sep 02, 2015 Jessica at Book Sake rated it it was amazing
This is a glorious piece of original fiction. The storytelling is absolutely brilliant. I could really see parents sitting down with their kids, flipping though all the bold imagery from the brave girl and the cute robot to the menacing machinery. Little Robot hits on so many levels ranging from friendship and bravery, to right and wrong.

I mentioned the storytelling earlier and this is where the book really shines. The first few pages contain no words and I loved it. The imagery was so clear and
Jody
As a GR friend (Hi Zaz!) raved about this book, I decided to order it for my daughter. It finally arrived, and we read it together today. I'm not usually a fan of graphic novels, but this one works, and I think this style (mostly pictures & minimal words) really works well for kids that don't read (or that are learning to read). For my creative little lady, it's brilliant, as she can put her own words to it.

The story is sweet, and the illustration style is lovely. My daughter is thrilled at
Jordan
Nov 10, 2015 Jordan rated it really liked it
Little Robot is a really great graphic novel, particularly for younger kids wanting to get into the genre. It has such sparse text (and when there are words, it’s mostly robot noises), and yet, Ben Hatke’s storytelling is so damn effective. I haven’t come across a mostly wordless graphic novel that worked so well since Sara Varon’s brilliant Robot Dreams (..ooh, maybe robots are the key to cracking my code).

It’s silly, heartwarming, and most importantly, a friendship story that’s a real winner.
Ran
Jun 27, 2016 Ran rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-comics
This book is super cute! It's about friendship between an escaped robot from the robotics factory and a "fix-it Felix" little girl (who, like the robots, remains nameless). It's certainly charming. Also involves some cats, if that's your thing. I would recommend this for young children - words are few and far between so it's not a difficult read by any means.
Angela
Disclaimer: I'm a huge Ben Hatke fan. It would be difficult for me not to enjoy one of his creations.

This one is a friendship story with both mechanics and heart. Recommended for ages 6-8, all school library graphic novel collections and makes a great gift.

Meredith
Sep 01, 2015 Meredith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gn
There are many things to like about this book. Non-white female tinkerer protagonist, cats, robots, junk piles, lots of drama and emotion, and humor. Adorbs.
Nicole
Nov 02, 2015 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Sweet and adorable 15 minute read.
Kara
Sep 27, 2016 Kara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, graphic-novel

With few words, Hatke plays out a surprisingly roller coaster of emotions in the story of a shy little girl and her robot friend she finds lost one day, with an ever growing cast of good and bad robots, and her awesome engineering skills to the rescue – once she learns that the robot is her friend, not a pet.
Ariel Caldwell
Sep 20, 2016 Ariel Caldwell rated it really liked it
More than the sum of its parts: the art and story are so finely matched. The relationship between Little Robot and the little girl needs to be told in image, not in words, and the nearly-dialogue-free pages are perfect for young people who are emotionally ready for a more complicated story, but not ready to read regular text.
Monica
Sep 26, 2016 Monica rated it it was amazing
My three boys won't stop reading this book. We borrowed it from the library, but I'm going to purchase it so that the library copy isn't destroyed by the love my 3-, 5-, and 7-year-olds have been showing it. "Jonk" is now part of their vocabulary.
Siina
Jun 05, 2015 Siina rated it really liked it
Little Robot was an extremely cute comic! Hatke surely knows how to make comics for kids and I've read others from him too. The art style is wonderfully simple and easy to follow considering that there's hardly any speech in the book. The pictures roll well without them, and I must congratulate Hatke for understanding the usage of blank space. Not everything happens in the panels, but behind and in between too. The flow is great and all in all the comic is easy to understand even without any ...more
Barbara
Relying on almost no words, this graphic novel tells a story of an unusual friendship. A lonely little girl loves slipping from her trailer home to seek out adventures in the woods. One day, she happens upon a box containing a robot intended for a nearby factory. The curious child pushes a button, and things begin to happen. She has a few tools to tweak the things that aren't working, and the two become friends. Even when a large machine leaves the factory in search of the missing robot--they ...more
Nicola Mansfield
Sep 07, 2015 Nicola Mansfield rated it it was amazing
Lovely, warm fuzzy cross between a wordless picture book and a graphic novel. Our hero is a little girl who likes to fix things and she saves a cute little robot from capture by the big bad robots with only the help of a wrench. I've read several of Hatke's books and his art is adorable. The majority of this title is wordless, next come sound effects but there are speech bubbles also and I'd say this would make a good visualized story for young non-readers to interpret as well. The girl and the ...more
Fiction State Of Mind
Feb 21, 2015 Fiction State Of Mind rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I requested thiis book because I'm a big fan of Hatke's Spacegirl Zita and the fact that the main character in the story was a POC. The story opens with pages of Hatke's gorgeous art as we meet our unamed Protagonist wandering through the junkyard finding hidden treasures. She ( possibly he, hard to tell with the character design), finds a box floating in the water and assembles Kittle Robot.

Dialogue is scarce in this story and not really missed . The drawings are so expressive. When the little
Lady Bill
May 23, 2016 Lady Bill rated it it was amazing
This book has everything! Action! Danger! Robot dance parties! I particularly love how Hatke lays out his panels.

This would be great for a book group. You could ask what tools the kids would add to their own bags when going on an adventure, and the illustrations are open ended enough that the discussions on why the characters do things would be really interesting (especially the end).

And the opportunities for crafts and activities are ENDLESS:
Make a robot costume (out of construction paper card
Melissa
I love Ben Hatke!

In this simple story, a young, friendless girl finds a small, lost robot near her home and they become fast friends. Naturally there is also a big villainous robot out to find Little Robot, and it's up to the little girl to save him! Armed with only a wrench and a lot of imagination, the little girl makes a lot of new friends in the end.

It was a wonderful story about friendship, and subtly encourages young girls to work with tools and be inventors :) Plus all of the robots and
Leah
Nov 30, 2015 Leah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: youth
Wall-E meets Boy + Bot . That said, this book is fresh and original. The story of two new friends is heartfelt and relatable, brought to life by highly expressive facial and body language (impressive on a robot). The wrench-wielding young girl is brave, smart, and an incredible friend, rescuing her robot buddy despite her deep sadness at their differences and inability to fully connect. So many feelings evoked by this short graphic novel--highly, highly recommend.
Jeanne
Dec 04, 2015 Jeanne rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've ever read. I bought this for my 6 year old niece. I don't know her reading level so this book worked perfectly as it has very few words and heavily depends on visual storytelling. The story itself is about friendship and empathy. It has action and thrills, but doesn't depend on violence. Instead it celebrates quick and clever thinking, and again emphasizes empathy.

Wonderful storytelling and gorgeous artwork. Fans of Lilo and Stitch will love this book. Honestly, fans
  • Written and Drawn by Henrietta
  • The Boy Who Crashed to Earth (HiLo #1)
  • Secret Coders (Secret Coders, #1)
  • Rutabaga the Adventure Chef: Book 1
  • Lost in NYC: A Subway Adventure: A TOON Graphic
  • Dragons Beware! (Chronicles of Claudette #2)
  • Hilda and the Black Hound
  • The Nameless City
  • The Great Pet Escape
  • Hippopotamister
  • Unicorn on a Roll (Heavenly Nostrils, #2)
  • Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: The Underground Abductor (An Abolitionist Tale about Harriet Tubman)
  • Lowriders in Space (Lowriders in Space, #1)
  • Cleopatra in Space, Book Two: The Thief and the Sword
  • The Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue Presents Macbeth (Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue, #1)
  • Gaijin: American Prisoner of War
  • Spelling Trouble (The Misadventures of Salem Hyde, #1)
  • The Secret of the Stone Frog: A TOON Graphic
Ben Hatke is an author and illustrator of graphic novels and picture books. Most notably he is the creator of the Zita the Spacegirl graphic novel series.

He posts art and stories online at:

www.benhatke.com