Start by marking “The Tudors” as Want to Read:
The Tudors

The Tudors

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  70 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
The Tudor period is regarded by many as England's golden age, and still casts a spell over the public imagination. Whether it's the glittering rule of Elizabeth, the ruthless power of her father Henry VIII, or the bloody and radical reign of Mary, the Tudors remain the most fascinating English dynasty. Richard Rex looks at how the public and private lives of the Tudors wer ...more
Published October 1st 2003 by Tempus Publishing, Limited (first published October 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Tudors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tudors

Oct 18, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Richard Rex’s book on the Tudors is a slightly different take than most books which have been written about the Tudor Monarchs. Instead of studying and examining the personal lives of each Tudor Monarch, Rex looks instead at how each King and Queen influenced and affected England and how their decision making, their politics and their religious beliefs affected the day to day life of men and women during this period in history. I thought this was a wonderful perspective to take when writing abou ...more
Chris528735
Feb 12, 2013 Chris528735 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My interest in the Tudor period of English history was piqued after I started to watch the Showtime series "The Tudors". The show is very good and I wanted to get some more background on the period and the monarchs that ruled England at that time. This book provides a sufficient introduction to the reigns of Henry VII, Henry VIII, Edward VI, Mary Tudor, and Elizabeth I. The author seems to be at times almost apologetic in his portrayal of these rulers in a more positive light than other historia ...more
Madison
Oct 30, 2014 Madison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Without a doubt, 'The Tudors' by Richard Rex is the best introductory account that l have read of England's most famous royal family.
Helene Harrison
Review - I thought that Richard Rex's book was a bit of a let-down, as it was quite short, and I was expecting so much more detail than it provided. Perhaps I have rated it so low just because I was expecting more of it. Nevertheless, it is a valid point, because the reigns of Edward VI and Mary I aren't really covered, and neither are the lives of the wives of Henry VIII, a key part of Tudor history missed out.

Subject/s - History / Tudors

Rating - 14/20

Recommend - Maybe
Lesley Miller
Mar 21, 2015 Lesley Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written and easy to follow history of the Tudors. This is an account of their politics, not their personal lives. It was refreshing to read what they did for England and how they changed England forever. If you are looking for an introduction into the Tudors this is the book for you.
Alison
May 17, 2007 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: history buffs
I loved this book--it was an essential guide to understanding the reigns of the Tudor monarchs. It was written in a style that I could follow without having to reread it over and over--very concise, which any writer knows is hard to do with a complex subject. He also provided recommendations on other books to read about this era, which has really captured my interest.
Julie Ellis
A very balanced overview of the political life of the Tudor dynasty. The author does not focus on the personal lives of the Tudors(no juicy details of Henry VIII's many marriages!), but briefly covers all the major political issues of the dynasty. Not world's most exciting book, but clear, succinct and balanced.
Jonathan
Sep 05, 2009 Jonathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Commissioned by me, originally at Tempus Publishing new reissue due out in October from Amberley Publishing with a fabulous new selection of illustrations, expertly captioned by the author. DAVID STARKEY review: 'The best introduction of England's most important dynasty'
Vanessa
Being a work of non-fiction the reading was a little dry, but what can you expect from non-fiction? The author presented the information in essay format on numerous subjects and provided a good foundation for additional studies.
Kathy  Petersen
Rex's discussion of the Tudor dynasty is an easy read, with enough depth to satisfy those who want a little more than pop history and enough creativity—and plenty of opinion!!—to keep interest at a peak.
Heather Domin
A good starting point for anyone unfamiliar with the dynasty. Organized, concise, and written in easy-going language.
Kelsey
Kelsey is currently reading it
May 24, 2016
Viola Prins
Viola Prins marked it as to-read
May 13, 2016
Jackie F
Jackie F marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
Raye
Raye added it
Donette Price butler
Donette Price butler marked it as to-read
Kimberly Glass
Kimberly Glass rated it really liked it
May 01, 2016
Mrs Sandra M Goddard
Mrs Sandra M Goddard marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Loreleilouise
Loreleilouise marked it as to-read
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Whitney
Whitney marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Michell Karnes
Michell Karnes marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2016
Eva Schatz
Eva Schatz marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Natasa
Natasa marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
  • Tudor England
  • The Tudor Age
  • Heretic Queen: Queen Elizabeth I and the Wars of Religion
  • Young Henry: The Rise of Henry VIII
  • The Fallen Queen
  • Ambition's Queen: A Novel of Tudor England
  • In Bed with the Tudors: the Sex Lives of a Dynasty from Elizabeth of York to Elizabeth I
  • History of Britain & Ireland
  • The Tudor Tutor: Your Cheeky Guide to the Dynasty
  • Cor Rotto: A Novel of Catherine Carey
  • The Kiss of the Concubine: A story of Anne Boleyn
  • On This Day in Tudor History
  • No Will But His: A Novel of Kathryn Howard
  • Birth, Marriage, and Death: Ritual, Religion, and the Life Cycle in Tudor and Stuart England
  • I, Jane (In the Court of Henry VIII, #4)
  • The Men Who Would Be King: Suitors to Queen Elizabeth I
  • Queen Elizabeth's Wardrobe Unlock'd
  • God's Secret Agents: Queen Elizabeth's Forbidden Priests and the Hatching of the Gunpowder Plot