Start by marking “Nobody!: A Story About Overcoming Bullying in Schools” as Want to Read:
Nobody!: A Story About Overcoming Bullying in Schools

Nobody!: A Story About Overcoming Bullying in Schools

Thomas feels like no matter what he does, he can’t escape Kyle’s persistent bullying. At school, at soccer—nowhere feels safe! “Mom said Kyle would grow over the summer and stop picking on me, but he didn’t grow up, he just grew.” With support from friends, classmates, and adults, Thomas starts to feel more confident in himself and his hobbies, while Kyle learns the ...more
Published April 28th 2015 by Free Spirit Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Nobody!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nobody!

Kristine Hall
May 01, 2015 Kristine Hall rated it it was amazing
Will you look at little Thomas's eyes?? I just want to hug that drawing, and though I know we're not supposed to judge a book by the cover, it was the cover that got me to read this book. The text is great -- will get to that -- but what absolutely make this book great are the richly detailed illustrations by Paula Heaphy. What looks like colored pencil sketches perfectly capture the emotions and expressions of the characters, which help readers experience for themselves the wide range of ...more
Melissa
Sep 01, 2015 Melissa rated it really liked it
Here is another children's book I saw on *Netgalley that I thought would be a great read for my son as I think the issue of bullying is a very important one.

Thomas is being bullied at school by one little boy. No matter what Thomas does Kyle will not stop bullying him. Thomas begins to think of himself as a nobody till one day Thomas decides to change his perspective. With the help of friends Thomas becomes more confident and in turn Kyle starts to bully him less.

This cover....oh this cover is j
Elaine
Jan 31, 2015 Elaine rated it it was amazing
Thomas is being picked on by Kyle. Kyle is doing this several times on purpose and Thomas really wants him to stop because it is making him feel worthless, like a nobody. The story tells of some of the things that Kyle does and says to Thomas. Eventually, Thomas realises that he has supportive friends and adults, that he really does have his own talents and that he is somebody.

This is a great, well illustrated story, which could easily help children understand more about social interactions of t
♛Primadonna♛
Feb 14, 2015 ♛Primadonna♛ rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Teachers, Parents, Childen in Elem school and Early Middle school
Thomas is dealing with Kyle's bullying at school. He doesn't understand why Kyle is bullying him or why Kyle won't just leave him alone. With help from his friends, classmates, and the adults around him, Thomas begins to gain confidence and believe in himself.

Children agreed on an anonymous 5/5 Stars.!

As a babysitter today I read this aloud to kids 5-8 years old and it was enjoyed thoroughly.

The kids favorite part and the main part they'd like to take away was "How to stand up for others" and "
Phyllis Krall
May 02, 2015 Phyllis Krall rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I read this book with my three grandchildren and found it to be a real learning experience. They were able to discuss bullying and their experiences with it in their schools. They learned some valuable lessons from it.
The story is about a boy named Thomas who is bullied by Kyle, and made to feel like a "nobody". Thomas is supported by his friends , who help him believe he is a "somebody".
Kyle learns that being cruel doesn't get the reaction he wants and turns the situation around.
The reader
Simone
Apr 06, 2015 Simone rated it it was amazing
This book really made me understand other people and I will always remember that I am SOMEBODY!
Suz
Apr 05, 2015 Suz rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-kid-lit, netgalley
Using a fictional setting, the author of Nobody! shows how bullying can rob a child's life of happiness and contentment. When Kyle bullies Thomas and makes ugly remarks about his hobbies and abilities, Thomas has trouble concentrating on anything except the way Kyle makes him feel. Because the bullying is always on his mind, Thomas can't even enjoy the things he is good at. But when Thomas decides that he is happy with the ways he is different (since differences are what make us all individuals) ...more
Michelle McBeth
Sep 11, 2015 Michelle McBeth rated it really liked it
SUMMARY: Thomas has become miserable at school because of Kyle who is bullying him. Thomas starts to believe that maybe he is a nobody because of the mean words Kyle says. Even though Thomas has other friends, everything Kyle says and does overshadows his life. Then one day, Thomas decides to look at things differently. He looks at life from Kyle's perspective. He also decides it's okay to be different because it's what makes him Thomas. His new perspective and a talk with his mother help him ...more
Emily
Sep 18, 2015 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
This is a fantastic book that I recommend for all kids to read. It is great for kids who are bullied, for kids whose friends are being bullied and for kids who are doing the bullying.

Thomas is being bullied by Kyle and we see through the progression of the book how it is affecting Thomas, his friends, his family, and even Kyle.

I love the layout of the book. On each page, Thomas tells us a little bit about how Kyle treats him and how he feels about it. The illustrations add to the story because
Katharine Adams
Sep 16, 2016 Katharine Adams rated it it was amazing
Great! Makes kids think (and adults too)! Perfect fro 2nd -3rd grade. Now an AR Book!
Patricia Tilton
Sep 22, 2015 Patricia Tilton rated it it was amazing
Erin Frankel and Paula Heaphy, who created the popular "Weird" series, have published a powerful stand-alone picture book for boys about bullying. Many of the beloved characters in the "Weird," "Dare" and "Tough," appear in the background of "Nobody!"

Young people will identify with the name-calling, insults, threats, fear, and anger. The characters are realistic and the language is simple, but edgy.

Thomas narrates the story. We watch him grow from the victim who doesn’t like feeling like a nobo
Carla Johnson-Hicks
Nov 17, 2015 Carla Johnson-Hicks rated it it was amazing
With Bullying being in the news regularly and dealing with issues in a school, I think this book would be a great tool to help in dealing with the problem.

Thomas feels like a Nobody because of the way Kyle treats him. He calls him names, tells him no one likes him, that he is a Nobody and physically hurts him. Thomas begins to believe that what Kyle says is true. He wants his friends to stick up for him and he does not understand why everyone worries about Kyle's feelings. Once Thonas starts thi
Sandralk
First off I want to thank the Author, Illustrator and Goodreads Giveaways for sending me this book to read and review.

In addition to the book I also received a darling bookmark and poster, too. I truly love the artwork found on the poster, bookmark and book!

The basic premise describes almost any young grade schooler in the world, who is a nice kid but for some reason is continually picked on by a bully. This could be anyone's child. (I was very fortunate growing up to not be in the cross hairs
Kate Hastings
Grades 2-5. The layout of this book reminded me of self-published books I have seen in the past, but what struck me as different about this book is that the circumstances of bullying really mirror what I hear from students.

We all know we shouldn't bully. Teachers can't hear every interaction. What happens when you ARE ignoring the bully but the bully won't leave you alone? Why do adults worry about how the bully is treated? These are valid concerns.

Thomas is depressed because Kyle has been picki
Lauren White
Jul 07, 2015 Lauren White rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This book was about a young boy named Thomas who is being bullied by another child at school. While there are many bullying books available for students, parents and teachers, this one was very special. Thomas reflected on very common things that children hear from friends or adults when they complain about bullying behavior. He reflects on statements such as , "just stay away from him" and "don't listen to him". This introspective text sheds light on bullying for children and the feelings that ...more
Tanja
Aug 02, 2015 Tanja rated it liked it
This will be a helpful resource for teachers and counsellors in talking about bullying with Primary school students. I especially appreciated the part that follows the main story in which the characters from the story list in bullet points what they did to help the situation. Great strategies to introduce to students. Helpful for adults using this book with children are the suggested guiding questions for each page of the story.
Kelsey
Mar 15, 2015 Kelsey rated it it was ok
Nobody! tells the story of a child overcoming a bully at school. The bully in this story, although a stereotypical skate-boarding boy with a dad that ignores him, ends up coming around to being somewhat nice once other kids don't join him in teasing. This is a story that is great to share to illustrate to other kids how to stand up to bullies, however it implies that there is a cookie-cutter solution to bullying.
Margaux
Mar 01, 2016 Margaux rated it it was amazing
Shelves: modern, picture-books
It's a bit didactic at times, but this book was actually a really good read. Kyle is treating Thomas poorly, and since this book is all about things from Thomas's perspective, it has a lot of insight into how it feels to be bullied. I'd definitely recommend this to anyone who is struggling with bullying or who has a child who's dealing with it.
Liz Covington
Jan 07, 2016 Liz Covington rated it it was amazing
Nobody can make you feel like a nobody, cause we are all somebody. A book about bullying and good for both the kid being bullied and the bully. May be hard to get off the shelf, but teaches a good lesson!
Maggie Burgess
Sep 19, 2015 Maggie Burgess rated it liked it
Liked the idea of this book, and strategies included in the back- including various perspectives. A couple of times it felt disjointed to me- it seemed to jump. But overall it would be a good book for a classroom.
Karen Ptaszynski
Nov 22, 2015 Karen Ptaszynski rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This was a great book that helps explain bullying to kids in a real way. At the end of the book it gives kids tools to help with bullying problems and parents/adults reflection questions to create a dialogue with children about the book.
Laura Rubenstein
Apr 16, 2015 Laura Rubenstein rated it it was amazing
I Love Nobody! It is written I a way that any kid can relate to how both boys are feeling. I really enjoyed it.
Gabbi
Mar 30, 2015 Gabbi rated it really liked it
I like how throughout the book, we(the readers) get the main character's point of view and also snippets of what's happening throughout his days.
Pam
Jan 20, 2016 Pam rated it it was amazing
This story provides some terrific discussion starters at the end of the book for all those involved - the bullied, the bully, the bystanders.

Amanda
Sep 09, 2016 Amanda rated it really liked it
The cover is horrible; does not make one want to read it.

HOWEVER....

They should! This is one of the BEST books I have ever read for kids that deals with bullying.
Becca
Oct 12, 2015 Becca rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I didn't care for the artwork, but this is well done.
Isara C. Argent
Isara C. Argent rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2016
Free Spirit Publishing
Free Spirit Publishing rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2015
Keila Dawson
Keila Dawson rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2015
  • In the Flesh: Stories
  • My Purple Kisses
  • Marlene, Marlene, Queen of Mean
  • The Scar Letters
  • Transitions of the Heart: Stories of Love, Struggle and Acceptance by Mothers of Transgender and Gender Variant Children
  • My Dear Pink