Start by marking “The Cat in the Hat” as Want to Read:
The Cat in the Hat

The Cat in the Hat (Beginner Books B-1)

4.15  ·  Rating Details ·  311,345 Ratings  ·  4,105 Reviews
Poor Dick and Sally. It's cold and wet and they're stuck in the house with nothing to do . . . until a giant cat in a hat shows up, transforming the dull day into a madcap adventure and almost wrecking the place in the process! Written by Dr. Seuss in 1957 in response to the concern that "pallid primers [with] abnormally courteous, unnaturally clean boys and girls' were le ...more
Published 1985 by Random House (first published March 12th 1957)

To ask other readers questions about The Cat in the Hat, please sign up.

Karan warn children about walking cat people from outer space

Nataliya
May 02, 2010 Nataliya rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Horror afficionados
This "kids' book" is, in my opinion, a nightmare-quality horror story. Why, you ask? What's scary about a funny-looking cat? *shudder* Well, what's so scary about these cute things?

description
(Well, there actually is nothing scary about that last one. That still doesn't make it any less of a nightmare.)

Sometimes I have nightmares where everything goes wrong, but I am helpless to do anything about it. What's worse, the voice of reason is gone. Well, that pretty much sums up the plot of this book. As a hor
Valerie
Mar 05, 2008 Valerie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I like that at the end of this book, when the mother comes home and the text reads:

Should we tell her about it?
Now, what SHOULD we do?
Well...
What would YOU do
If your mother asked YOU?

My daughter always looks up at me and says: I would tell you.

But I don't believe her. I think it's quite possible that the Cat in the Hat has already been here, and she's just telling me what I want to hear.
Whitney Atkinson
Dec 16, 2016 Whitney Atkinson rated it it was amazing
I don't remember ever reading Dr. Suess (I'm sure I did, only it was SO long ago), so this just put me in such good spirits! I remember how giddy these made me feel, and the rhyming is just so whimsical, no books can compare to these. I'm collecting all of Dr. Suess's work and this was just such a classic, great place to start. I love the art and the story combined!
Lyn
Aug 01, 2011 Lyn rated it really liked it
What else can be said of this all time children's classic except that it is as enjoyable to read as an adult?

I have three boys, two grown now, and all three have listened to me read this to them and perhaps there was a while when I could have read it in my sleep (and may have!) If you ever go to Universal Studios theme park in Orlando, check out the Cat in the Hat ride. Good times!

description
Archit Ojha
Jul 28, 2016 Archit Ojha rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks

Ding dong,
I can be a magician.

I can be anything,
But an alsatian.

The illustrations! The uproarious juggles of the feline and the mess that he leaves about.

Though the high-tech gadgets bailed the cat out but Sally and her brother should heed to the wise Goldfish in further editions :D

A total riot for children with working parents and who just manage to not bring the house down - with or without the cat.

PS : I am one such kid.
Stacey is Sassy
Jul 20, 2015 Stacey is Sassy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Loved this one and I passed my love on to my sons. Unfortunately as they got older they enjoyed the movie more.
Anne
Dec 27, 2015 Anne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-kid-in-me
Well what would you do if your mother asked you?

ME WHILE READING THIS

ME AFTER READING

I swear I don't know why this made me laugh so freaking hard. I really don't. I mean the story was funny, the rhyming so fun, but it didn't warrant my hysterical outbursts. But I'm not surprised, I always find myself laughing inappropriately. For example;
MY FRIEND SWEARS THE THINGS RYAN SAYS IN THESE GIFS ARE EITHER CUTE OR HOT. PHILLIPE FROM CRUEL INTENTIONS IS HOT

ME

OH STAHP.

I'm seriously starting to th
Willow
Aug 16, 2013 Willow rated it it was amazing
****

This book has always given me the impression that Dr. Seuss is a master mischief maker. He has this smarmy Cat barge his way into these poor kid's house (when their mother isn’t home) and then he proceeds to make a colossal mess. It’s all very distressing.

In fact, as a child, I don’t think I found this book amusing at all. It preyed on all my worst fears like being ‘home alone,’ having pushy strangers take control, and scary ‘clown-like’ accessories like monster hats. I much preferred Suess
Ronyell
Jan 07, 2010 Ronyell rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children ages 3 and up
“The Cat in the Hat” was one of Dr. Seuss’ most popular children’s books ever created. The book featured the stove pipe hat feline troublemaker who tries to show two bored kids how to have fun on a rainy day with disastrous results. The Cat in the Hat has forever remained to be one of the most popular figures in children’s literature ever!

Dr. Seuss’ superb rhyming text is as creative as it is funny. He easily finds the perfect rhyming of each word while telling a story through his rhymes. Dr. Se
Sandi
Nov 16, 2008 Sandi rated it it was ok
I really can't stand this book. It's one of those my son had me read over and over when he was little. Seriously, what kind of mother leaves her young children home alone? Who is this cat? Why is he such a troublemaker? Is it okay that they do all that rotten stuff just because it all gets cleaned up before mom gets home? What kind of trouble will this brother and sister be getting into in their teens. This is a very disturbing book.
Wren | WrensReads
WrensReads Review:

When your friend comes over with eight Dr. Seuss books, you read them.

Everyone knows this one, it is probably his best work.

Cat in the Hat. The Cat that comes over, ruins your house, gives your pet fish a heart attack and let's your kids do whatever they want because you aren't home.

Lots of rhymes. Lots of funny. Lots of things that hop like a bunny.. I'm stopping. I am not a Seuss. I wish I was a Seuss. Then I could only talk in rhymes, which would be kind of fun.

WrensReads
Justine Arndt
Sep 25, 2012 Justine Arndt rated it it was amazing
I would recommend The Cat in the Hat to anybody. Dr. Seuss wrote this book like poetry by having the lines rhyme with each other. The story of the book is don't trust strangers; in this case the cat with the hat. The cat brings a box to children at home while their mother is gone, and the cat ends up causing chaos with thing one an thing two. It can teach children a good lesson on how to be responsible when their parents are not around. The pictures in the book make it very enjoyable to read. I ...more
Fino
Oct 16, 2016 Fino rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, american-20th-c
At first, with his big French accent, I couldn’t understand my kid asking for “le chat in da at” but I soon deduced it. This story about making a major mess and then cleaning it up before mom gets home is beyond a classic. And still a favorite for my son. I heard there was even a part 2…
Manny
LoveTrumpsHat
Traveller
Jan 28, 2014 Traveller rated it really liked it
Ha, I know that adding this book is cheating. But I just read a very funny review by a friend, which reminded me how much the kids and I enjoyed the movie of this. Even more fun than Horton Hears a Who. The latter is the highest Dr Seuss on my list, though, for its philosophical point of view.

Personally I found the movie-Grinch rather scary. So, folks, if any of you find The Cat in the Hat scary at all, make a wide berth around watching The Grinch. He is sure to give you nightmares.
Stephen
Aug 15, 2010 Stephen rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
3.5 stars. My favorite Dr. Seuss book as a kid. I was very happy to be able to read this out loud with my five year old daughter and have her love it as much as I did.
Suzanne
Jan 18, 2017 Suzanne rated it liked it
Shelves: hardcover, indy
This was tongue tying. Too much so! Indy and I haven't read many of these, although he did ask for it off his brother's shelf. I was stumbling over my words, probably to try and get through it quickly.. this cat was too long! Made me feel tired! He's still quite cool of course. Just not for us at this reading stage. We have about ten others though on the shelf, so hopefully we will embrace them a little more.
Michael
Aug 14, 2007 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: all-ages
A treasured memory from childhood, I bought many Dr. Seuss books to read to my children when they were small.
I discovered a surprising thing; I thought that I was well read and a literate adult..., reading these books out aloud requires great concentration and voice control (especially with a critical kid listening). However clever you may think you are, reading these books out aloud will improve your public speaking and help you to win friends and influence people :-)
Go ahead, have some fun and
Katerina
Aug 21, 2016 Katerina rated it it was amazing
Прочла сыну книжку-классику для начинающих читать; оказалось: что она в стихах, что в ней лимитированное количество слов, что я до сих пор не знаю, как произносится фамилия автора.
Lisa
May 06, 2014 Lisa rated it it was amazing

Another favorite in my household. :D
Ashley Cooper
Jul 15, 2008 Ashley Cooper rated it it was amazing
Really good book. Bit of a complicated plot, but the pictures help.
AleJandra
Mar 27, 2015 AleJandra rated it really liked it
Shelves: kasey-s-books
Nunca he entendido porque este es el libro más popular de Dr. Seuss, si él tiene otros mucho mejores.
Tampoco entiendo porque a los niños les gusta tanto.

Es una historia muy entretenida y divertida. Que ayuda al vocabulario de los niños, por medio de la repetición de palabras y las rimas.

Pero realmente no tiene un mensaje o moraleja.

Inclusive el final me llega a molestar un poco, ya que cierra preguntándole a los niños si ellos le dirían la verdad a su mamá.
Como si no decir la verdad fuera una o
Francois Jabbour
Now the book starts off with a single mother and her two kids. Immediately, we realise the mother is single as there is no mention of a father. Perhaps the father is dead? Maybe they divorced? Either way, that's no excuse for the mother to be running off during a dark and stormy night (the perfect setting for some freaky horror movie) to go out with her gals and get her drink on.

Anyways, the mother leaves the kids alone, at home. We can assume they are both under the age of 10. They have no adul
Hirdesh
Feb 03, 2017 Hirdesh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Lovely pieces of words.
Great sweet flow of poetry.
I felt like I was kid,while reading those Funny rhyme.
Thanks Trinity, I found that in your shelf.
Eddy Allen
Apr 18, 2012 Eddy Allen rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing. The film version really didn't do it justice, as they failed to identify the underlying sociopolitical themes in this work. The "cat" is really Communist Russia, invading the "house" (western civilization) and attempting to impose "fun" (Communism). When the "cat" makes a mess of things, he brings in some complex contraption (the space program? This is open to interpretation) to clean the house up and keep the children happy, while also subtly implying that the children in ...more
Manny
Apr 24, 2013 Manny marked it as not-to-read  ·  review of another edition
Oh goody! The Amazon recommendation engine, which has now compiled an uncannily detailed map of all my reading preferences, has noticed that I like both children's books and books in French. It just mailed me to ask whether I had read The Cat in the Hat/Le Chat au Chapeau (Beginner Book).

Not only have I not read it, I didn't even know it existed! And turning to the relevant page, I find other interesting articles, like Eric Carle's La Chenille Qui Fait Des Trous and Easy French Storybook: Goldi
Lucie
Jan 12, 2008 Lucie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I recall this book caused me much stress as a child - much like the kittens who come in and wreck the doll house in the Sesame Street short film. However, as an adult reading it to my own kids, they were never shaken by the mess - they were interested in how the kids would manage to pull off the whole debacle.
Sirajam Munir Shraban
Mar 01, 2016 Sirajam Munir Shraban rated it really liked it
Shelves: illustration, 2016
[পিডিএফ লিঙক]
শেষের দিকের আবিষকারটি কঠিন ছিল!
Tamara
“I know some good games we could play,” Said the cat.

“I know some new tricks,” Said the Cat in the Hat.

“A lot of good tricks.

I will show them to you.

Your mother will not mind at all if I do.”
One rainy day, two bored kids, one absent parent, one party-pooper talking fish, and the indispensable ingredient—an extra-large cat. Buckle your seatbelts.

Verdict: The story was 'ok' but I kinda liked the way this was written. A lot. And the illustrations were really gorgeous. A great book for
Esmoi
As a kid this book always made me anxious. The house gets completely messed up, the cat is emotionally manipulative, and the moral of the story seems to be that it's okay for people to do crazy shit to you (and ignore your repeated pleas for them to stop) so long as they eventually knock it off and clean up the mess. After all, it was all in the spirit of good fun, right?

Even as an adult, I find this book a dark and uncomfortable read. The children are smiling in the end (and I think Seuss himse
Around the Year i...: The Cat in the Hat, by Dr. Seuss 1 11 Jan 15, 2017 10:04AM
movie 1 1 Sep 15, 2016 12:39AM
Children 1 2 Apr 26, 2016 08:57PM
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Truth
  • The Poky Little Puppy (A Little Golden Book)
  • My Friend is Sad (Elephant & Piggie, #2)
  • The Very Quiet Cricket
  • But Not the Hippopotamus
  • I Have to Go!
  • Put Me in the Zoo
  • Frog and Toad Together (Frog and Toad, #2)
  • The Monster at the End of this Book (A Little Golden Book)
  • I Just Forgot (Little Critter)
  • Sheila Rae, the Brave
More about Dr. Seuss...

Beginner Books (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • Are You My Mother?
  • A Fish Out of Water (Beginner Books B-23)
  • Green Eggs and Ham
  • Bennett Cerf's Book of Riddles (Beginner Books)
  • Animal Riddles
  • Maybe You Should Fly a Jet! Maybe You Should Be a Vet!
  • My Book About Me by ME Myself
  • The Cat in the Hat Comes Back
  • A Fly Went by (Beginner Books(R))
  • The Big Jump and Other Stories

“Look at me!
Look at me!
Look at me NOW!
It is fun to have fun
But you have to know how.”
1160 likes
“I know it is wet and the sun is not sunny, but we can have lots of good fun that is funny.” 535 likes